WL or AKL? Help me decide!

bunnyfoo

<font color=red>It's Monday and my mind was somewh
I'm trying to decide between a three night stay at either WL or AKL. It will be my boyfriend and myself and we won't have a car so we'll be relying on Disney transportation. We're hoping to find a resort that will we can relax in between park visits ... something more on the quiet side... (is that possible at Disney?) :p TIA!

AKL!!!!!!!!

It's our new favorite resort and I don't think we will be staying anywhere else... ever!!!

We are staying at WL in Nov.
I know there is a boat to the MK and you share buses to the other parks.

We stayed a AKL in Sept and fell in LOVE with this place!!!!

The minute you drive up to the resort and step out....the African music...the smells.... you are completely immersed! The lobby is absolutley BREATHTAKING!!! You truly feel like you are in an African Safari Lodge (albeit a very luxurious one)!

The restaurants are two of the best on the property! We dined at Boma (breakfast and dinner) and Jiko (dinner). Both were excellent! We also ate lunch (from Mara's) one day by the pool and the Swahili Coladas from the pool bar are YUMMMMMYYYY!!!!!

The pool is a little warm and has light green water (in keeping with the theming). It has a zero depth entry, which is so nice to sit in and relax. There is a hot tub and there is also a nice "lounge" near the restaurants , and don't forget the Afican storytelling around the firepit at sunset. They also have night time viewing of the animals with special glasses-there is so much to do at the resort.

The bus transportation was great!!!! Ony one stop outside the lobby and you don't share with another resort. On and off both ways! The longest it took to get to any park was 15 minutes to MK- I timed it as we were going to our Cinderella breakfast and did not want to be late! AK was 5 minutes and Epcot and MGM were about 10 or so. We took mid-day breaks every day with no problem at all (and that was with our 4yo)!

AKL is definitely quiet, romantic, and relaxing!

Very tough question indeed. So lets break it down for our Couple.

Atnosphere: Both resort are quiet and romantic. Unique in design and very pleasing to the eye.

Transportation: Both offer good transportation. The WL has a boat option to other resorts and the MK.

Amenities and activities: Both offer unique activities (eg WL Flag Family, Hidden Mickey Tour etc AKL has nightvision tracking, Guided tours of the Lodge etc) and offer similar amenities. The Pool at AKL is bigger and IMHO better.

Dining: Both have excellent Dining options thoigh I rate the AKLs Mara\Boma over the WLs Roaring Fork\Whispering Canyon Cafe for Couples. The AKLs Jiko and WLs Artists Pointe are top-rated restaurants in there own right.

Hmmm ... 3 nights is not enough for a split stay so If I were you I'd stay at the ....

--<< aNiMaL KiNGDoM LoDGe >>--

Really, IMHO you cant lose either way!
Good luck with YOUR choice! ;-)

AKL hands down. My husband and I stayed there in December and found ourselves wanting to spend time at the resort rather than in the parks. It was so relaxing and enjoyable. We had room service and ate on our balcony while watching the animals. The savannah at night is so romantic. Be certain to book a savannah room if you can afford it. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

AKL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've stayed at both and AKL is our FAVORITE!! :)

Both are very nice but AKL is just so lovely and very friendly. Since you said you wanted relaxation, definetly AKL. It seemed much more serene and quiet there than at WL. We liked their transportation better too. Now it doesn't have a boat to MK but the bus service there is great. No sharing and buses running in good intervals. The AKL pool is very nice also and has zero-entry and was just very relaxing to sit around. And of course its fun to see the animals. There are quite a few observation areas to check all the animals out. CM's are posted around the resort by the animals to answer any questions. I can't say enough about this resort. It was truly awesome!!!

Another vote for AKL. I like the bus service and the resort is georgous!

Anothe vote for AKL :bounce: This time returning to WDW will be the first time my husband is not really upset about returning. We both fell in love with AKL last April and are looking forward to our nice relaxing stay again at this resort. It definetly is a pleasure for all the things that everyone else has mentioned but also it is just a great place to return to after a hurried day at the parks. The resort breeds relaxation and the bus service is the greatest.

Wow! It looks like AKL wins hands down! Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

WOW - sorry - had to pop in here as my DF and I are honeymoon down in WDW in Sept and splitting our stay between WL and AKL - 7 nights at WL and last 3 or 4 nights at AKL...guess we'll be ending our honeymoon on a high note! :)

now i'm REALLY looking foward to this! :)

You can't go wrong with either! I have stayed at both but like WL just a tiny bit more. I will say that AKL (Boma) has the better restaurants IMO.

What I loved more about WL is the boat ride to MK & the possibility of a castle view room. I also found the CM's & mousekeeping a little better. I liked the room layout a little better, too in WL.

Just my 2 cents.;)

We have been to WL and AKL and loved them both. But I have to say I think AKL is one of the best resorts in world . Its amazing atmoshere to be in. If you choose AKL you will love it and if you choose WL I am sure you will loave that to.
TTYL
Matt:bounce:

This is a hard choice for me because they are both my top two resorts at Disney! :) If I had to pick one without splitting my stay, I would choose AKL! I loved it so much when we were there and the kids loved the pool much more than WL...not that WL doesn't have an incredible pool, but my kids are small and loved the zero depth entry there...:)

Have a wonderful stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter