Wk of Nov 27--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

I'm still packet-free :sad: Haven't gotten my DVC planner yet either. Is it possible I've been blacklisted by Disney? :confused3 The only good sign is that when I search my name on the official marathon site, I do show up.

Did much better with the food thing for today's LR. The menu included a Snicker's marathon bar to start, honey shots at miles 3, 6 and 8, and peanut butter crackers at miles 5 and 7. I drank a Slim-Fast as soon as I got in and did fine. Thanks to everyone for your help with this!

Good training everyone! We're almost there ::MickeyMo

I am so happy to have found this group.

Liz, I wish you and your family much comfort during these difficult times.

Thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome in your group. I would love to come to dinner on 1/6, however, I don't think I will arrive in Orland in time.

Leigh Ann and Melissa, about those pains I have 1 word...STRETCH. I contributed to my injury by not stretching. I have started to stretch multiple times during the day and it seems to be be making a difference.

I know what you mean about asking the Dr. I had 1 ortho tell me to go ahead and try the Disney World Marathon and that the worst problem would be a longer recovery from the plantar fasciitis. Another ortho told me running in January was a dumb idea. Both agreed I won't cause any long term harm so I think I am ready to give it a run. I do suggest you pay attention to any pain and make sure you aren't doing any damage. It is still 7 weeks from the marathon so there is plenty of time to make small changes if necessary and be ready for January.

I hope to try a medium distance run tomorrow. It will be a real test as it will be the first in more than 2 months.

Someone asked where we are staying, I think we will be at Boardwalk.

I could use some information on places to meet family after the run and how to plan viewing locations, does anyone have experience on these issues. Thanks.

HARRY

Oh Oh I can answer about where to meet after. There will be little "tents" with alpha letters on them after the runners/walkers pass through the finish line and photo line and food line (friends and family will not have access until you pass through all this). This past January we all decided that we were a family and our last name started with W (WISH of course!) so plan to meet up with all your family there. It was nice to hang out to watch folks come in. I didn't hook up with many but meet-ups there did occur. DH had no problem locating me.

I was doing a nostalgic search. I thought maybe someone else might enjoy my trip down memory lane so I will post up these 2 links:
pics from marathon really 1/2 marathon
WISH Walkers Rock...

I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend. I am.

Welcome to the group Harry!
Liz, continued PD and prayers for you and your family in the challenging times ahead. :wizard:

Mom and I worked out at the gym today while my sis(Stitch_lover_Sith) was at PT for her knees-same building. I still dislike running on the TM even when I can see the TV. Watched some Bratz and Winx while listening to a Madonna playlist on the Shuffle. Music alert: the new Madonna, Confessions on a Dance Hall Floor, is good upbeat electronica and good running music. I hadn't listened to her stuff since Ray of Light and was very pleasantly surprised.

Triathletes and gonna-bees: St Anthony's Triathlon(Apr 30) and the Meek and Mighty Triathlon(Apr 29) in St Petersburg, FL race entry opens at 0900 on Dec 1st. The St Anthony's race sold out in under 24 hours last year according to the info. It is an olympic distance: 1.5 km swim in Tampa Bay, 40 km bike, 10 km run. In addition to the 3500 age group athletes, it tends to draw a strong pro/elite field and should be a good spectator race. The Meek and Mighty Triathlon is for kids and novice adults. It has 3 age categories, under 11, 11-14, and 15 plus. The older kids and adults do a 1 mile run, 5.4 mile bike, and 200 yard pool swim. This race is capped at 500 entries. The website for more info is www.satriathlon.com.

I think I'm going to be collecting some frequent flyer miles on Southwest Airline over the course of about a month with flying to Tampa end of April, Orlando the next weekend, and then Orlando again 2 weeks later. The first 2 weeks of that will also include 5 exams plus ACLS. One of those exams is Endocrine System though so maybe Mel Chimera will help me study ;) I know I'll do fine in the academic work and doubt it will jeopardize my membership in the geek club(Psi Sigma Alpha) but even I've got to maybe question some of my priorities.

I don't even really have a good reason for wanting to do St Anthony's other than that it's timing about 3 weeks before the FL Half Ironman is pretty good for a tune up. The Half isn't even my major goal race for the year, IM Wisconsin in September is. Other assorted race just because races I'm looking at doing include the Mooseman Half and the Timberman Half plus the Skinnyman in Skaneateles. I'll also do the Xterra East Championship and some of the point series races such as Capital City in Hartford CT and maybe 1 other depeding on the schedule. I just realized I pretty much have my 2006 summer completely planned. I'll take Step 1 of the Comlex end of June and of the USMLE right around July 6th or 7th and then do an orthopedics rotation at West Point from July 10-August 4th. We are then scheduled to go to SOG at WDW for 6 nights before I start 3rd year clinical rotations proper. Should I get a psych consult???

Happy training and quick healing for the injured. Off to bed so I can raise my BP with traffic on the Mass Turnpike tomorrow. I drive across 4 different states but that one's roads and drivers irritate me the most. On the bright side, I will be making the reverse journey again Dec 16th and leaving for my happy place Dec 17th.

I finally decided to de-lurk once again and check in with all of my fellow DIS marathoners. I was doing really well with my training during late summer and early fall and then hit a bad patch with sick kids etc. etc. So, I got back OP last month and things are looking up again.

I am so glad to see everyone doing so well and staying motivated. I need to stop by here more so I can soak up some of the great inspiration floating around!!

Today I did 7 miles of walk/run and another .5 mile of warm-up and cool-down. My time for the 7 miles was 96 minutes (13.71 minutes/mile) and 105 minutes including the warm-up/cool-down (14.00 minutes/mile). I did 7 minutes walk/3 minutes run (weird combination I know but it is working for me right now) and felt really good once I warmed up. I think I could have gone another mile or two but I needed to get home and I didn't want to overdo it so I stopped. Considering that when I started training in July I had never done more than 1 mile in my life I think I have made some good progress.

I am hoping some of you more experienced athletes can help me with a few questions. Right now I am only training on the TM due to needing the kids club most days for my 2 kids and uncooperative weather and the general fear of the "unknown." I was planning to go outside today but it was raining so I didn't so I am planning to try on Monday (only day my kids are both in school for a few hours) but I am VERY NERVOUS about making the transition. I am afraid that I have become TM-dependent and that I will fall apart when I am out on the "road." Any suggestions on how to make this transition? We have a running/biking trail very near our home that should help and I have a Garmin 201 but I am feeling very anxious about this and could use any advice/encouragement that anyone has to spare.

Next question - how do you know when you need sports drinks and/or powerbars/gel supplements? Right now I am only drinking water during my workouts but as my mileage is getting higher these days I am thinking I should be doing more. I don't feel bad during my workouts or afterwards so I haven't really done much thinking about it but I am thinking I should as race day gets closer. So, how do you know what/how much to start with? Any suggestions on what to try first?

Thank you to everyone for posting here and providing such a great place to receive/give/share encouragement, advice, and pixie dust. I know that I would never have seriously considered doing the half in January if it wasn't for the great people here on the WISH board!!!

sleeping beauty-not really any advise, but you might find yourself going faster on the road. I am not good on the TM & do much better outside. You do need to get in some outside walks though so it will better simulate race day. Your training seems to be going great. Glad you're no longer lurking.

Lynn-o.k. I already have a bunch of races in my head for next year. I cant take any more choices :goodvibes No, i don think I'll be ready for an April tri. May will be my first. DS8 wants to do a tri too, but he has a long way to go. I think he might do the Ironkids tri in Atlanta. You rock with all those races, med school, training, etc. you might need a psych consult by the end of next year :rotfl:

Lily- I love looking at those pics. I cant wait to be in them this year :banana:

Mel-dont worry, my mom doesnt have her packet either. And she live in Mobile, AL-much closer to the mouse than me. Good job on the LR! :bounce:

Mel - this is for you :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :genie: :genie: :genie: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Christa - PD for your bike negotiations! Maybe you can send me some for my treadmill negotiations

Sleepingbeauty - I believe it was the wise Lily who said. Get those steps in. You are doing it. I'm sure you'll be fine moving from the TM. I was actually thinking I need to move to the TM to get ready for the warmer climate.

Lynn- what about a 50k trail run in Feb in Arkansas???? I need a muddy buddy! I think it will take me about 8 hrs.

Rhonda 2 points in response to your commets.

In regard to the treadmill, don't worry. Last weekend a woman won the Philadelphia Marathon and she was quoted in the paper and said she did most of her training at lunch on the treadmill. I will try and find a link to the article.

In regard to the sport drinks, power gells etc... don't wait until you feel you need one. You should have a plan and follow it. You should never wait until you feel you really need a drink or a gell. You can be certain that with a 1/2 or a full marathon your body needs fuel.

HARRY

Here is the link:

OOPS it won't let me post the link. I get an error message telling me I have not met the minimun number of posts to include links. Here is the article:

Posted on Mon, Nov. 21, 2005

Manayunk's Kroshus gets it right this time

By CHRISTOPHER A. VITO

The 26.2-mile run was always too much for Emily Kroshus. Before yesterday's Philadelphia Marathon, the 22-year-old Manayunk resident had entered two other marathons, and had bowed out before completing either race.

In those runs, Kroshus made what she called "the rookie mistakes."

On race day she had worn new socks, which caused her feet to blister. Often she would train too much, or start too fast out of the gate. Then fatigue and dehydration would set in.

"Pretty much everything you could [mess] up, I did," said Kroshus, a 2004 Princeton All-America in the 10,000 meters who also ran cross country and other distance events.

Kroshus made all the right moves this time, finishing as the top female runner in the Philadelphia Marathon with a time of 2 hours, 43 minutes and 7 seconds.

Kroshus, a native of Calgary, Alberta, says her 9-to-5 job as a financial analyst limits just how much training she can do. She said she regularly uses a treadmill on her lunch break.

"Sometimes I'll get home from work, and it'll be dark," she said. "The best time for me to run is during lunch, so I run."

Defending champion Larisa Michailova, of Russia, led after two legs but faded as Kroshus poured it on at the 12-mile mark.

"This girl [is] a very good runner," said Michailova, who finished second. "[It was] her best result, no? She was good. Next year, this race might be better for me."

Joseph Nderitu, who set the Philadelphia Marathon course record in 2003, was the male winner again in 2:21:02, a few minutes longer than it took him 2 years ago.

Before the race, Nderitu warmed up on the Ben Franklin Parkway with two other runners: fellow Kenyan Joseph Kamau and Uganda's Joshua Koros. Through 14 miles, the three were still together, representing the lead pack.

It wasn't until the 23rd mile that Nderitu broke free, and he went on to win by nearly 2 minutes. Nderitu said Mile 23 was his first opportunity to take the lead.

"If I want to pass, I just pass. I can't think about it," Nderitu said. "I just wanted to win. I didn't know how strong they [were]."

Thomas Haxton (2:27:49) earned the title of top male Philadelphia finisher. Haxton, 24, who lives in the southwest section, was sixth overall among some 8,000 marathon runners.

It was estimated that close to 10,000 runners participated in the various events, making this year's race the largest in its 12-year history.

Other results of note:

• Vyacheslav Shabunin and Tatiana Chulakh were the men's and women's top finishers in the 8-kilometer race, which began 30 minutes after the marathon's start. Shabunin, 36, of West Chester, won in 23:49. Chulakh, 23, of Germantown, Md., finished at 27:01. Seann Mulcahy, 16th overall in the 8K with a time of 26:07, was the top male Philadelphia. The top Philly female was Elizabeth Seeley (29:53), 10th among women.

• Chad Johnson, 30, of Jeffersonville, Ind., finished in 1:49:21 to win the wheelchair marathon.

Welcome Harry and Rhonda :wave: As for gels, I think the general rule of thumb is to start at about 40 minutes into your LR and have one every 40-60 minutes with plenty of fluids. YMMV

Lynn-- You are a bad influence! I have visions of tris dancing in my head :Pinkbounc I don't think I can do either of those, but one's in my future, I'm just sure of it! Especially now that I am a proud Y member and have access to a pool.

Lilly-- Thanks for the pics! I get so excited when I see veteran WISHers race pics :cool1:

MelR-- I'm sorry to hear you have sore spots. I hope they will go away with rest :wizard: Still trying to sell that 50k, huh? I wish I could take you up on it!

Mel-- I would call about your packet this week. Last year mine never arrived. I didn't call because I knew I wasn't going anyway. I feel so bad for you :grouphug:

My LR today was really hard. It was just 12 miles, but as we've all been learning, the short ones seem to be as hard or harder than the long ones :confused3 Plus, I had to brake my second winter running rule: "no running on ice". The bike path had a thick layer of frost in many sections. It felt like I was on a TM, the ground slipped out from under my step. It was very mentally draining, as I had to concentrate on each and every footfall. No zoning out until mile 7 when I hit dry pavement. I didn't take an ice bath afterwards because I decided 12 miles does not warrant ice torture. However, its now a couple hours later and my legs are stiffer than they were last week after 20 and ice soaking. I'll be soaking next week for sure!

Sunny

Oops, I forgot a very important part of my post:

Good luck Christa and Bree on your Marathon next week :cheer2: :wizard: :Pinkbounc :banana: :sunny: :cool1:

Sunny

I have not received my packet yet either, nor DS's. Hoping that this week it will arrive otherwise I will be calling too. I guess I will try to wait until Wednesday then start dialing. I know we are registered so that is some comfort.

Sigh....

(Whine on...)
I think I need a pick-me-up. The past three weeks have been TERRIBLE when it comes to my training. Between work and the weather, it's been tough enough staying sane and then when I'm ready to go, it's white-out conditions outside. :guilty: And the next two weeks don't necessarily look any better, with the possibility of a long work trip the middle of next week. :guilty: I have GOT to get it in gear. I know in my heart of hearts that I could walk the darn thing if I had to, but I'm starting to doubt my training at this point a bit :guilty:

Oh, and Northwest changed my flights again, but at least this time I feel a little better about the layover.
(Whine off...)

All that said, it sounds like the rest of you are really doing great things. KEEP IT UP!

I think that's about all for now.
Happy training everyone!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Solo - I know what you mean, the weather really throws a wrench into things when it doesn't cooperate. Plus work, Ugh. You've trained so hard up until now, you'll be fine. I'm not sure, but I don't think all that training falls by the wayside in 2-3 weeks. Is it possible for you to cross train more, or worst case scenario, get on the dreaded TM? Maybe some strength training in your legs so at least you're working the muscle & they feel sore. I know I don't feel like I'm training if I'm not sore.

Welcome Harry & Rhonda. I think that everyone here that's been training & run into snags w/ injuries (isn't that everyone?) will agree that we've muddled through & continue to train, maybe on a limited basis, but whatever you've set out to do, the half or the full (or the goofy), we'll all finish. Whether or not it's in a glorious way is besides the point. We'll all cross the finish line & be better for it.

Jodi

plutosmyfav said:
My LR today was really hard. It was just 12 miles, but as we've all been learning, the short ones seem to be as hard or harder than the long ones :confused3 Plus, I had to brake my second winter running rule: "no running on ice". The bike path had a thick layer of frost in many sections. It felt like I was on a TM, the ground slipped out from under my step. It was very mentally draining, as I had to concentrate on each and every footfall. No zoning out until mile 7 when I hit dry pavement. I didn't take an ice bath afterwards because I decided 12 miles does not warrant ice torture. However, its now a couple hours later and my legs are stiffer than they were last week after 20 and ice soaking. I'll be soaking next week for sure!

Sunny
Ice! AHHHHHH...... :earseek: I understand "Just 12" I did not take an ice bath for the same reason. :teeth:

Leigh Ann - See your doctor. After my 1st 1/2 marathon, my foot felt the same way and it ended up being a stress fracture (sp?). Rest, ice and no running for a while will help and if you xtrain, you should be fine. :wizard: :wizard: to you.

Melissa - :wizard: to you for the TM. Still working on the bike.

Christa

Rhonda

When using the treadmill I would recommend not using the 0.0 incline if you can. The treadmill at no incline is quite a bit easier than running, as you don't really need to drive off the ground, you just lift your legs and you get forward movement. Even increasing the incline to only 0.5 is tougher and more like running outdoors. In fact, you'll find running on flat is easier than running with the 0.5 incline on the treadmill (well at least I do). There are a few (only 2 actually) hills on the full course, but to prepare for these I would on occasion rev up the incline a bit to prepare your legs for the overpass and underpass. When I'm on the treadmill I vary the incline to 1.0 and 2.0 for a few minutes to prepare my legs for the hills, and I also reduce the speed when going steeper. Also, I was fighting calf inuries all fall last year and only had 3 or 4 outdoor runs before this year's half. I was able to finish with no difficulty, and like you I was very concerned about running on pavement vs. the treadmill.

Harry

In an earlier life when I was doing lots of distance and speed work I developed pretty nasty plantar faciatis, like you have now. Eventually I found that orthotics solved the problem, but you can reduce the pain by freezing little dixie cups and immediately after running rubbing the peeled back cups right on the pain points on the underside of the heel and ball. It seemed to put out the fire, and allowed me to keep running, which with the marathon only 42 days from today isn't too long.

Good luck to all.

Craig

Hello - and welcome to Harry & Rhonda

All good my end - did my 14 miler this weekend. We had a weather warning in effect Saturday morning and as I sat upstairs watching the leaves being stripped off a plant in my garden I decided that maybe I'd run Sunday instead so I toddled off Sunday morning after a night of disco dancing in heels - note to anyone interested, this makes your calves cramp at 12 miles, but you can still walk the other two, who knew?

Am getting very excited now - sat there last week with my little day planner deciding what parks we're going to and when. Boyfriend has to get at least eight goes on test track in before that goes into rehab too - I figured I'd just leave him sitting on it while I do the Chicken Little 5K. And, Harry for suggestions as to where to meet afterwards, I'll be the one in the English pub in Epcot - and if the boy doesn't have my beer waiting for me as I crawl in, you'll hear me shouting at the Boardwalk!!

One final thing - I still don't have my packet (although I did just get a parcel I posted myself from England 10 weeks ago!!!) and while I know I have the email confirming my entry and get my little newsletter every month or so I'm still panicking slightly, so Mel, how do you search the site for your entry. I tried, I failed, so all hints appreciated. Helen

Christa - it's a funny thing that you mentioned the stress fracture. I was just telling phil my symptoms last night and asking if I had a stress fracture!!!! I don't think it is (obviously, phil didn't either. I guess it's not even in the right spot for one!) My right leg is giving me probs! My knee and ankle have been bothering me. I'm guessing that the long runs are just wearing me down. My gait is funny. I run differently with my left leg than i do my right. I have been using some stabilizing shoes more than the cushioning shoes, but I think I may need to stick to the cushion and no stabilizing! I am going to buy a new pair this week. Do you experience body breakdown with all of the long runs? Maybe my body is just not made for this stuff!

Helen - I'll be listening for your holler if the beer is not cold and ready! I think if I had a beer after a long run, I would likely pass out before I could finish the whole thing!

Sorry to be brief!

Helen...go here http://www.trackshack.com/disneysports/verify.php
You enter last name and birthdate then it should bring up your registration.

Lynne...happy to help you study anytime ;)

MelR...did you have any trouble finding a life vest for the boy for kayaking? We're ready to try the wild tod in the our kayaks, but she's smaller than your average 2 yo.

Thanks for the packet dancing :) If I have time tomorrow, I'll call them.

Went to MK for a few hours today since we picked up DD12 from her dad in Orlando today. They have a Mickey runner pin! It's got the Mickey from the Run Disney logo in a circle that moves around Cindy's castle. The CM said that they'll still have a specific one for the marathon weekend, but they also have this generic one now.

Mel - We actually found an infant life vest at wal-mart for the boy. During the cold season, they have them at marinas. It has been too cold and windy here to go the last few days. We are getting rain, so I'm hoping that we can try a really gentle river in the next few weeks! Phil just rigged a lift to hang the kayaks above the cars in the garage so it should be easier to car top the boats and I may be evem more inspired to go!!! Hope you are able to take the wild todd soon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter