Wk of May 20--WISH Walking/Running Club

You all are such an inspiration to me as I work to stay on track with my run/walking. I wish I had a race scheduled before September but there is not much in my area at the moment. I will have to look for a few 5Ks.

Mel- I am a nurse (night shift, critical care-so unfortunately I don't get in much walking at work either).

Keep up the good work everyone.

Jen :goodvibes

Hi everyone!!!

After reading about all of you getting out there :guilty: I got out there myself :thumbsup2

I :cloud9: my running skirt. The shorts stay where they are supposed to ;)

I spent quite a bit of time stretching my back/hip out as towards the end the old familiar pain was back :headache: Do any of you stretch before you go out too or just afterward? Trying to find relief! I really want to make it to WDW this year :goodvibes

Hi everyone!!!

After reading about all of you getting out there :guilty: I got out there myself :thumbsup2

I :cloud9: my running skirt. The shorts stay where they are supposed to ;)

I spent quite a bit of time stretching my back/hip out as towards the end the old familiar pain was back :headache: Do any of you stretch before you go out too or just afterward? Trying to find relief! I really want to make it to WDW this year :goodvibes

Craig - Sending truck loads of :wizard: that you be comforted by the hugs from your daughter, the love of your wonderful wife, and the peace of knowing that you are doing the right thing for your family :wizard: :grouphug:

Martha - I really hope you enjoy your trip! I guarantee your joy will just burn her! My ex MIL spit on me once and told me "I wasn't good enough for her son" :snooty: Yep you betcha :rolleyes:

Matt - Totally unbeliveable! You are an inspiration to soooo many of us :cool1:

Dave - Your girls are just tooo cute! DLF or not a 5k at their age or any age is an accomplishment :banana:

Cecelia - Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Carrie -
:grouphug: and :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Ok I'm back to finish catching up. Still no running for me today, getting a little nervous because I have not run since Friday, but I did lift for an hour (BODYPUMP) and DH is going to try his first run in a couple of months.

So first I have to say:
Dave :cool1: :cool1: Your DD's are beautiful and what I fun thing to do as a family!! You should be so proud.
Jen I thought about you a lot and I'm glad that you were able to meet your goal of under 3 hours. :woohoo: I have much respect that you push on with the back pain and then getting sick. The pain we have been dealing with can be brutal and I just don't know if I could do a 1/2 right now. I used to be such a quitter, but this running journey we have been on and especially these boards has changed that for me. Thanks for telling me about what you have dealt with as far as the back problems, it just helps to hear other's encouraging stories.
Matt:worship: That pretty much says it all!!!
Stacey I can't even imagine needing ear muffs right now, it was 90 here today :scared1: I have much respect for you guys who have to run so much in the cold.
Megan I hope you got your run in tonight!
Renee I feel your pain on the heat issues, but the honeysuckle sound lovely!
Judy Hope you are able to get outside tomorrow.:thumbsup2
Carrie I am so so so sorry for all of your pain. I am glad to hear that your nerve pain is gone (that is what has been so bad with mine), but I really hope that you can get the rest under control. I really do understand and it is so frustrating.:hug:
Shan Good job on the longest distance you have run so far!!:cheer2: And may I say how extremely jealous I am of your upcoming trip. I hope you have a MAGICAL time!!
Cecilia Awesome time on the 10K!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:
Christa As I said to Matt :worship: Unbelievable on the the 5K, maybe someday I will place in my age group. Of course I am already 33 so I AM getting older by the day!! :rotfl:
Martha I hope you have an AWESOME time in Italy, it sounds heavenly!!
MINNIE Do you struggle with back pain, or what is it? Cause DH and I both have recently acquired that horrible problem!! I hope you find some relief. And to answer you question, I try to stretch a little before I start, but I know it's better to stretch after you are warmed up so sometimes I will stretch real quick after the first mile or so!! and then defiantely at the end.

Ok so DH just came back from a horrible run so I gotta go. Have a good night everyone!!

angie

Hi folks - today was a holiday for us, so I got to sleep in a bit today. I woke up to <gasp> snow!! :cold: No kidding!

Yesterday was a 6 mi run. It was beautiful and sunny when I started on the out and back course. With 1.5 mi left to go it started to rain... No big deal, no lightning and it wasn't coming down too hard. Then with a mile left to go it started to hail! I was actually in denial about the hail until I saw the odd piece of white frozen thing sticking to my top. It definitely wasn't snow, but luckily the hail wasn't too large! The weather at the end of my run made for some really good splits though. I finished in 1:09:18 for an 11:33/mi pace.

This morning I did a total body weight workout. Tomorrow I have 4 miles planned.

Also - booked airfare to Orlando for the TOT race, and made the rest of my dinner reservations for the week. Got my MNSSHP party tickets in the mail at the end of last week too..!!

Anyhow else thinking Mama Melrose on Saturday night for dinner? I booked a 6 pm sitting.

Cecilia - Awesome time on the 10K!

Cindy - Great LR!

Stacey - I'm with Angie - I can't even imagine needing earmuffs. It was 87 at 5:30 tonight when I went out.

Shan - Go pack!

Carrie - Hang in there with the inserts. Hope they work out and actually help!

Megan - Welcome! Sometimes the runs just don't work out, but sometimes you just have to fight through it and make them happen. I'm actually using the Galloway training plan.

Maria - Congratulations on 4 miles! I like running before work, too.

Renee - I'm guessing our DD's were at the same Relay for Life - Wakefield? I did my first run in the heat today - ugh!

Decided to brave the weather and run outside today, despite the 87 degree temp when I got off work. Did 4 miles; think it was 48:00, but I started playing with the Garmin and screwed everything up. Glad I was doing a 2 mile loop so I at least knew the distance!

So far in the past 10 days I've done my first run in the rain, my first mile run without stopping, and my first run in really hot weather. I WILL be ready for whatever January throws at us!

Jackie

Cindy - no Chad is at the game with his dad, his very preggo sister & her hubby. They are 50 feet down from first base, about 8/9 rows back. Too bad last time I checked the Yankees were winning. I just got back from leaving Zack at MIL's. That was just in case Chad is not home from the Bronx by 3:30am (when I leave for work) - couldn't leave Zack all alone.

Leana - snow?!!! :scared1:

I didn't get to the gym since it was a crazy day again. But, a weird thing happened while we were driving around doing errands tonight. I felt a longing to go walking/running. How weird is that? ;) A few songs came on the radio, and I was thinking "hey, I need to add this to my mp3 player for training."

Good evening everyone!

Hit the weights this evening for an upper body workout.

Mel – Great pace.

Renee – WTG with the running, and congrats to the DS.

Stephanie – Sorry about the stonker.

Cam – Keep at it.

Monte – Great job with the 10 miler.

Craig and Martha – Have a great vacation.

Laurie – WTG with the 5 miler!

Bill – Great looking cakes, and happy belated birthday to Billy.

Maria – Keep up with the great training.

Jackie – Hope you were able to get the car fixed, and great job with the training!

Krista and Steve – Welcome back!

Angie, Carrie, and Minnie – Hope the backs gets better.

Megan - :welcome:

Stacey – Great job with the running. Sorry about your ears.

Judy – Wa'sup? :cool2:

Shan – WTG with the 4.5 miler!

Cecilia – Congrats with the 10K.

Cindy – Great pace!

Leana – Great job with the 6 miler!

I apologize if I missed anyone.

:)

I'm not sure it I should thank you for your own crazy relatives stories (and I do appreciate knowing I'm not alone in this), or wonder what the heck is wrong when so many good people have relatives whose goal in life is to make those good people completely miserable. I solemnly swear I will never put Lesley through garbage like this. In fact, my goal for my 75th birthday is to ride my shiny new Red Ducati Motorcycle across the North American continent. I aspire to be quirky instead of mean and miserable (Minnie: spit on? Geez, that's beyond over the top) when I get old.

Back to the reason for the group:

Cecilia - we appear to be a pretty darn close match in pace and distance. Will you, perchance, be in the starting chutes for the Tower of Terror run this October? If the answer is yes I think we could pull each other to a glorious result.

Speaking of the TOT, today I ran the local version, 13K at the Wellesley High track. Yes, 32.5 laps outdoors is more than a few, but on the track I always know precisely how fast I'm going. I turned each lap within a couple of seconds of 2:15, with the early miles about 9:03 and the later miles about 8:58. The marginal increase in pace wasn't due to feeling better later, heck no. The first 4 miles were really easy, and the last 4, particularly the last 2 were a strain. My final result was 72:53, or 9:01 per mile, which I'm really pleased with. Of course, my stated goal for the TOT is 69:59, so I need to find 3 minutes in the 8.1 miles. Given the way I felt at the end today I don't think I could have found 3 seconds. Perhaps with Cecilia on my should I can find those minutes :thumbsup2 .

As this year goes on and I read your training and racing reports, and I reflect on my own training, I made a major mistake in 2006. I worried so much about my muscle injuries and the distance of the marathon that I didn't do enough intense work in my training. Yes, the LSD training is necessary for a nice long race, but it isn't sufficient. I found I need to throw in hard work on a regular basis so race pace on race day isn't new, and is in fact, slower than my speed work pace so it feels easy. On January 7, 2007 when I was running my target pace it was actually my tempo pace, and was not sustainable for 26 miles. Even without the heat I would have broken down, but the heat just made it happen in Fantasyland (What's your least favorite fantasy? Running too fast when it's too hot and breaking down next to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!), instead of on the stretch to the Animal Kingdon. On January 13, 2008 I cannot guarantee a better result, but I can guarantee I'll be more fit, since I've been training harder with my partners.

As Martha said, we're off tomorrow evening. I look forward to seeing what cool stuff has happened in our absence.

Craig

Hello teammates! Got 3 miles in tonight at the gym--DH went out for drinks with a new co-op at work, so I had to fill the void--might as well run! Ran just under 9:00min/miles. Tomorrow is, hopefully, another 3 miles and then strength training with personal trainer. The pool opens this weekend. Me thinks I might give swimming another shot. Reading Matt's 70.3 report makes me think "Someday....." We'll see if I can manage the 3 26.2s in 365 days first, before moviing onto something larger!

Craig and Martha--Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear about it when you return!

Angie--Pd to you and Bobby on the continued back pain. Sorry he had a stonker as well. Oh, and I don't know if you read my post but Scott and I won't be running RFTT this year. The week after a marathon just wouldn't work--we are gonna do ToT though--come on over!!! I need someone to chase down!:laughing:

leana--Snow!!! OMG!!!!:scared1:

Kristi--Ummm, not so weird--you are an athlete, remember??????

cecilia--Great job onthe 10K!!!:cheer2: :cheer2:

Well, i should go. have agreat night everyone!

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

I had a good run yesterday. I took it easy because I ran Friday, Sat, and Sun (even though that was mostly walking the 5k with DDs princess: princess:). However, this was my 4th day on my feet, and I didn't want to strain myself too much. I did 30 min on a 1 mile crushed gravel trail around a park. Ended up doing 3.41 miles for 8:48 mpm pace. It seems like the 9 min pace is starting to become my standard pace, whoo hoooo. I'm planning on SWOGging today. Arrrrrrr matey. pirate:

Craig and Martha- I am so, so sorry to hear the trials you went through with your mother/MIL last weekend, and I'm so sorry it through a cloud over your DD's graduation. Enjoy the trip to Italy, and enjoy your time together as a family.

Steve and Krista- Welcome back, how was your trip? How was AKL? Details, we need details...

Let's hope for 30 degrees with snow flurries next year. :thumbsup2

Steve

Bite your tongue, Steve! Could we compromise on a 50 degree start?

Leana...snow?!?!?

We are about outta here. Anne has graciously volunteered to start the thread this weekend. Thanks to those that did!

Miss you all!

Bite your tongue, Steve! Could we compromise on a 50 degree start?

Leana...snow?!?!?

We are about outta here. Anne has graciously volunteered to start the thread this weekend. Thanks to those that did!

Miss you all!
Have a great week Mel. Oh, I forgot to say, you asked how many days/week I run to get 20 miles in. I've been running 4 days/week, and I try to get 5 miles in as my usual "short" run.

Hi, everyone! Sooooo far behind now at work and on the DIS and in other real life activities, but since I am paid to catch up at work, that will have to be the priority (especially if we want to do CDC, ToT and marathon weekend '08 ;) ).

Just wanted to report in on my longest exercise session since the Minnie. 1 hour on the TM, 30 minutes on the bike, 100 crunches and 100 push ups. I should have done more leg work when I got home from the gym, while watching series finale of "Heroes" with Andy, but alas, I was all too content to be a couch potato.

Can't wait to read the race reports thread. I'll be back to catch up soon.
Hugs and pixiedust: to all my teammates, including a huge :welcome: to our new team members!

Martha & Mel and anyone else heading off to fun places -- Have a fabulous time!! WISHing you :sunny: and :beach:

Good morning Racing Team!

You know, winter in New York is long and dark and cold and messy. But the reward for enduring them seems to be gorgeous spring days like this one! :flower1: It could not be any more perfect out there! It looks like we are getting a week of these days which is fabulous! Let's hope it stays around for Monday's races.

Speaking on Monday's races, I was coming out of the post office this morning, which is where the starting line is. There were two ladies marking the start with paint and flags so I stopped as I was pulling out and rolled down my window and said to them "Say, can you make the 5K so there are no hills?" and one lady said to me "A Higher Power was responsible for the topography. We can't help you there." :laughing: It was really funny and what a great answer! JSYK, this 5K is REALLY hilly! If I ran it every day I'd have a butt like J Lo. ;)

Training was good this morning but I did do it on the TM. Charlie came home late last night from a business dinner and I didn't have the heart to wake him up at 4:30 to go out and run. We'll head outside tomorrow morning.

Dave - I really really enjoyed your race report. :goodvibes Your girls are adorable! I hope they continue to enjoy running. Although as soon as they discover boys....:rolleyes: We are going thru this with my stepdaughters. Suddenly they have no interest in anything that doesn't involve young men. Geez. Thank goodness I was never like that! :lmao:

Jen - You're race report was great and so were the pictures! You go girl! :woohoo:

Matt - :worship: is all I can say.

Cam - Way to go on the exercise last night! :woohoo: That was a lot!

Hey, everybody come over to the TOT Website post and rescue me! I'm getting beat up! :eek:

Thank you to everyone for the welcomes and advice. I had an interesting night last night. Went to dinner, went to Target to get a watch(instead got the Nike attachment, don't ask) well I then had the great opportunity to be sick to my stomach in the target bathroom. A very low moment if you ask me. Needless to say I went right home and got in bed. I probably could have run but I opted out.
(As a sign of how sick I felt, I didn't even play around with my new Nike thingy, what are they called?)

I felt better this morning and so I busted out my Carmen Electra strip aerobics, okay laugh away, I would. But it's a great workout and I like the dance aspect of it. I need to find a few more good workout dvds but I do like this one. Needless to say I can't wait to play with my nike+ and get out for my run this week!

A missed run is motivating me, is that normal?

Hey team!!!!

Sorry I have been away a bit, just taking some time off and getting life back to normal after the last vacation.

I will catch up on all the posts but just jumping in to say HI. Hope you are all doing great.

DH and I are now considering the ToT or 1/2 in January. Not sure what to pick.......

Hope you have a great day

Kim

Hey all.... just a quicky since I was not at work yesterday and I should be doing something to catch up. I am still amazed that I did another 1/2 marathon without dying. For someone like me, this is a huge accomplishment. I was never athletic and have always been slightly overweight.

I am still in recovery mode, mostly because I am sooooo busy this week. One new stress on my shoulders is that I may be looking for a new school for my daughters. Their current school is a parochial school and is going through some issues, one being that tuition is doubling in cost. My DD6's heart will be broken if she leaves, but I am not convinced that the quality of education will be there for her. 3 teachers are leaving at the end of the school year!!

Angie - Thanks for your wonderful words. My back pain is from an injury, but I know that my running is a positive influence on it... mostly because it is helping me lose weight. I know I will never be super speedy, because that puts too much pressure on my back. But the fact that I am out there working through it is huge for me. I hope you are able to figure out what is causing the pain and can overcome it!!

Steve and Mel - I will settle with 45 degrees and NO WIND!!!

OK, need to be productive, or something like that!

Well, I went out today, WITH ear muffs, and needed them! I got in 2.8 miles, (one part is up a biggg hill with probably 7% grade!) and it started in blowing about half way through. I was so glad I learned my lesson yesterday, cuz I felt great as I finished (in contrast to yesterday!).

Judy- that's funny about the hilly 5K. I hope it goes well for you!

Hello all! Just a quick post today; lots of work to get done ...

I did 40 minutes on the bike followed by weights today. Easy day which I needed! I'm gearing up for a big 10 mile run this weekend, my longest since the WDW half in January.

Jackie - Yep, my DD was at Wakefield as well! Small world. Wouldn't you know this weekend's going to be really hot when I have to do a really long run?!? Guess I'll be getting up extra early.

Happy training, everyone! :yay:
Renee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter