Witnessed something sad at the happiest place on earth

I'm sorry the girls had to witness an odd chain of events. I'm also sorry for laughin' out loud at the Gator comment by the custodian. Did the girls question where their -insert meaty food here- came from later at dinner?

You are just hysterical. Maybe you could open for Kanye West some time!

How sad! Definitely a wrong place wrong time type of thing. That had to have been upsetting to see. Hopefully it didn't ruin your whole day! Poor little squirrel.

Well I wouldn't have gone through all that trouble to help it. If I saw it would of just walked on past and not even let my kids know about it. And if they did see it I would quickly put their attention on something else and move on. And then why would you want to share something like this with a discussion group of people trying to plan vacations?? I just don't get it.

Squirrels, being nothing more than fuzzy, fluffy tailed, rats should be able to fend for themselves. I'm pretty sure they can swim and would find it's way to a spot where it could get back on land. I wouldn't obsess about it.

BTW...technically Disneyland is the "happiest place on earth". WDW is the Vacation spot for the world, or something like that.

Goofyer, I usually enjoy your posts, but I had to speak on this one. Nothing about the OP's post warrants the big grin in your subject line. Yes, squirrels can fend for themselves - in their own enviornment. A man-made pool of water surrounded by concrete walls with no way for the squirrel to climb out is not a natural enviornment for a squirrel (let's not forget WDW is built on swampland - we are invading them, not the other way around). And no, they don't swim, and it didn't find a spot to get back on land, and the OP is not obsessing. OP stated there was no where for the squirrel to climb out and that it did, in fact, drown.

To make matters worse, the CMs she asked for help did not contact the proper people who could help. It sounds like they didn't even tell her who COULD help until after the squirrel had died. From OP's description, they didn't care at all. That's not Disney customer service. Where I work, if the client thinks there is an emergency, you treat it as an emergency. Even if it's not, at least until you can settle the situation. If the OP and friend were concerned, the CMs should have at least feigned some concern and contacted the correct people and explained why they, themselves, couldn't help.

Even if you (general you - not directed at Goofyer) don't care about squirrels, or any animals, watching a helpless creature struggle for its life and then loose that struggle is a heavy burden. Especially when the OP was powerless to help (maybe she didn't expect to need a long handled fishing net in her park bag) and the people she did ask for help were more interested in "seeing" it than actually helping.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the "circle of life." I know the lion has to eat the zebra, and more power to him, but I can still have a little empathy for the zebra. The same applies to the PP who told about the snake eating the frog. But this squirrel situation was not a "circle of life" moment.

OP, I'm sorry for the squirrel, I'm sorry you and your girls had to witness that, and I'm sorry that when you tried to help you weren't able to get anyone to contact the people that could produce results. I completely understand how you feel. I am only glad it wasn't my boss (a vet) who saw that, b/c if the CMs had reacted to her they way they reacted to you, they'd be fishing HER out the water b/c she would have probably dove in to save it!

ETA: info I can find readily states that squirrels can swim with a "dog paddle", but it is very strenuous for them and they only do it when necessary

Bummer for the squirrel. shame something handy for him to float on wasnt readily available to throw in and help him and a shame the guy with the broom didnt have the ability to help

I agree part of life is dying and squirrels get eaten by all types carnivores and hit by cars etc..but no one wants to see that on their vacation and feel so helpless and unable to do anything to save the life.

some of those squirrels at Disney are darn right cute. while stopped on the monrail I watched one sneak behind someone on a bench and sit next to them(he was hoping for a fry, but they never saw him waiting)

OP, I'm sorry for the squirrel, I'm sorry you and your girls had to witness that, and I'm sorry that when you tried to help you weren't able to get anyone to contact the people that could produce results. I completely understand how you feel. I am only glad it wasn't my boss (a vet) who saw that, b/c if the CMs had reacted to her they way they reacted to you, they'd be fishing HER out the water b/c she would have probably dove in to save it!

Heck, my DGD(4) would have let out a BLOODCURDLING scream and try to grab the squirrel. If she couldn't reach him, I have no doubt she would have jumped in to save him (but we would have stopped her before then). However at that point, she would have expected her mother to jump in after him. DGD would be unconsolable.

So sorry you had to witness this poor animal's death.

Well I wouldn't have gone through all that trouble to help it. If I saw it would of just walked on past and not even let my kids know about it. And if they did see it I would quickly put their attention on something else and move on. And then why would you want to share something like this with a discussion group of people trying to plan vacations?? I just don't get it.

I'm guessing she's sharing it here b/c it happened in the place that we all have in common and it elicited a strong emotional response. Some people are able to just walk away. Some are not. I am in the mind-set of helping creatures that can't help themselves (vet tech). I would not have been able to walk away, with the chance the squirrel might die, and be ok with myself. I, too, would have felt the need to do something to help.

Let me qualify, please, that I'm not trying to imply anything about someone who could walk away from the situation. Not everyone has the same priorities (if you look back at my other posts, you can see that my pets and my animal patients are the most important things in my life). I'm sure most peoples' empathies lie with other human beings, and not so strongly with animals, as mine do.

Goofyer, I usually enjoy your posts, but I had to speak on this one. Nothing about the OP's post warrants the big grin in your subject line. Yes, squirrels can fend for themselves - in their own enviornment. A man-made pool of water surrounded by concrete walls with no way for the squirrel to climb out is not a natural enviornment for a squirrel (let's not forget WDW is built on swampland - we are invading them, not the other way around). And no, they can't swim, and it didn't find a spot to get back on land, and the OP is not obsessing. OP stated there was no where for the squirrel to climb out and that it did, in fact, drown.

To make matters worse, the CMs she asked for help did not contact the proper people who could help. It sounds like they didn't even tell her who COULD help until after the squirrel had died. From OP's description, they didn't care at all. That's not Disney customer service. Where I work, if the client thinks there is an emergency, you treat it as an emergency. Even if it's not, at least until you can settle the situation. If the OP and friend were concerned, the CMs should have at least feigned some concern and contacted the correct people and explained why they, themselves, couldn't help.

Even if you (general you - not directed at Goofyer) don't care about squirrels, or any animals, watching a helpless creature struggle for its life and then loose that struggle is a heavy burden. Especially when the OP was powerless to help (maybe she didn't expect to need a long handled fishing net in her park bag) and the people she did ask for help were more interested in "seeing" it than actually helping.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the "circle of life." I know the lion has to eat the zebra, and more power to him, but I can still have a little empathy for the zebra. The same applies to the PP who told about the snake eating the frog. But this squirrel situation was not a "circle of life" moment.

YES, they can.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/spongebobscience.html

Can squirrels swim?

Yes. A squirrel can dog-paddle for short distances, keeping its nose above the water and using its bushy tail to steer itself. Like Sandy Cheeks, however, most squirrels make their homes in trees and prefer to avoid contact with water.

I'm sorry you and your children had to witness this, however it is funny how people (people in general, not necessarily the op) feel compassion for a squirel, but switch the squirel with a rat, snake, alligator, bat, etc. and see how their tune changes.

Actually, I would personally hate to see anything helpless drown in that manner. I agree that we have messed up their environment and it's just kind to help when we can.

It's sad you had to see that and, as an animal lover myself I can say it would've broken my heart. I was sad just seeing a duck in one of the parks whose webbing was separated from one toe and walking with a limp despite it looking like an old injury. Or the tiny little lizard who, I assume, had been crushed underfoot at some point.

But why didn't YOU do something about it when you found that no CMs could/would? Tear a shirt up to make a rope (you could easily replace it), ask somebody for their broom or whatever and try yourself. Even if it didn't work, at least you'd know that you tried. If it bothered you that much, I would think you would want to try that much harder to rescue it rather than wait for someone else to do it.

Worth mentioning: Squirrels CAN SWIM. Are you positive it actually drowned? If so, it was likely already suffering from something else that caused it to fall in teh water to beginwith (a broken bone or even rabies).

...squirrel had fallen into the water. ... cement walls around that area, ...wading in the water with no way to get out. ... squirrel is out there still struggling to stay above water. ...The squirrel then disappears under the dock and by the time it gets to the other side it had drowned.

Sounds like it was struggling pretty hard. I'd imagine it would be fairly obvious that it was no longer struggling.

the custodian tells my bff (in front of the girls) don't worry, the gators will get him. WTH?

I'm assuming "him" meant the body. As evidenced by:

...squirrel is still floating in the water and the original CM who did nothing tells us Don't worry we will do whatever we have to do to which my bff responds why? he's already dead!

Maybe it had a broken bone, but my boss (the vet) has saved and rehabbed a squirrel with 3 broken legs. It can be done. We have the pictures to prove it.

As for rabies :rolleyes:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/community/rabies/Documents/Rabiesguide2008.pdf

"From 1957 through 1983, 17,487 squirrels, rats, and mice were examined for rabies in Florida; only one was found to be rabid."

Sorry to do that (pick one tiny thing out of your post and nitpick on it), but turnabout is fair play. We are talking about animals. ;)

YES, they can.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/spongebobscience.html

Can squirrels swim?

Yes. A squirrel can dog-paddle for short distances, keeping its nose above the water and using its bushy tail to steer itself. Like Sandy Cheeks, however, most squirrels make their homes in trees and prefer to avoid contact with water.

Point taken. I even went and did some of my own research and edited my post accordingly (before I saw this reply from you, if that matters). Now that we've established that squirrels can stay afloat if needed, the point remains that it couldn't escape, exhausted itself and died. This obviously affected the OP enough that she felt compelled to post about it.

Just out of curiosity, were there any points in my original post that you felt were valid? It's ok if you didn't. It's also ok if you just want to write me off as a crazy animal-lover (I know I do ;) ). I am just curious.

I'm guessing she maybe felt a little silly feeling so bad about a little old squirrel and was looking for a little validation for her feelings. Also, she perceived a problem, the CMs didn't act with the urgency or concern she expected when an animal was at risk, and she's probably disappointed and bummed out about it. Top it off with the stress from the fact that her daughter witnessed this animal struggle for it life and loose. Even worse, mom tried to help and mom couldn't save it. That's a heavy dose of unnecessary reality for a young girl.

Again, OP, I understand your saddness and frustration. I sympathize completely and understand your need to vent.

We got back last night from a long weekend at Disney, bff and I took just our girls and it was a princess weekend. We were at Epcot on Saturday and went out to World Showcase, we were heading to Italy for the girls to do Kim Possible. So we got in line to take the boat. We were waiting on the dock and heard a splash, looked down and a poor squirrel had fallen into the water. If you know the area and you know that it is all cement walls around that area, absolutely no way for anyone to grab onto something to keep from drowning.

So at the time there is a worker boat at the end of the dock so my 8 year old goes to the end to try to tell them what happened and my bff heads up to the store to tell them. I know it is just a squirrel but he was just breaking our hearts wading in the water with no way to get out. The cm's in the boat smile at Julia give a thumbs up and start moving their boat, we thought to come help but no they go away.

My bff goes first to a food kisosk to tell them what happened and they said sorry we don't have a radio or anything. So she and my 10 year old daughter go running into the store and tell a cm lady there. Instead of calling someone the cm insists on taking the time to walk all the way out to the dock so she can see the squirrel for herself. My bff is telling her what is that going to do? Why can't they call anyone?

Meanwhile the poor squirrel is out there still struggling to stay above water. The cm goes back into the building and two seconds later comes back out, bff asks if she called someone and she said no she didn't know who to call. But I guess she called her friend who sells those balloon balls because she comes RUNNING over. My bff tells her wow you are the first cm who has done anything but mosey on over and she says oh no I'm just here to see.

At this time a custodian comes over with his broom and dustpan thing. Everyone on the dock (at least 50 people) are telling him to try to dangle his broom over so the squirrel can try to climb on. Finally he puts the broom over but the squirrel can't reach. He barely even reaches, everyone is trying to tell him how to do it but he's ignoring everyone.

The squirrel then disappears under the dock and by the time it gets to the other side it had drowned. My 8 year old and bff's 5 year old were crying and so upset. While my bff is trying to console the girls, the custodian tells my bff (in front of the girls) don't worry, the gators will get him. WTH?

At this point the boat has finally come and we are getting ready to get on because there is nothing else we can do, the poor squirrel is still floating in the water and the original CM who did nothing tells us Don't worry we will do whatever we have to do to which my bff responds why? he's already dead!

We found out later that only pest control is allowed to do anything about animals in Disney. But the thing is is that NO ONE even tried to call them. We were having a great day and then our children had to witness a poor squirrel suffer and die. It really did put a damper on our day.

I think what really upset us was the CM lady who insisted on instead of calling someone in the store, had to walk all the way out to the boat dock to see the squirrel for herself like we were lying or something.

Thanks for letting me vent, I know that is all this is at this point is a vent.

That's absolutely horrible, very sad. I know my children and I would have been very upset to have seen that.

But why didn't YOU do something about it when you found that no CMs could/would? Tear a shirt up to make a rope (you could easily replace it), ask somebody for their broom or whatever and try yourself. Even if it didn't work, at least you'd know that you tried. If it bothered you that much, I would think you would want to try that much harder to rescue it rather than wait for someone else to do it.

I would pay money to see this.

Goofyer, I usually enjoy your posts, but I had to speak on this one. Nothing about the OP's post warrants the big grin in your subject line.

I apologize for the use of the "smiley" and I don't really remember why I used it. I do know that It wasn't because of the incident itself. I think I did that to lighten the comment that I made about it being a furry, fuzzy tailed rat. (I still hold to that btw).

I also didn't remember any specific language stating that the squirrel had drowned, only that they were thinking it did. I thought that their assumption had a good chance of being wrong, thus the "I think they can swim" comment. Animals are pretty adept at taking whatever action is necessary to survive.

I also apologize for my messing up the WDW slogan...Of course it was, "the most Magical Place on Earth. A thousand pardons. Sometimes this old brain gets a little cobwebby and cannot remember exactly what the words were, but kudos for me about remembering the it was Disneyland that was the happiest.

Maybe it had a broken bone, but my boss (the vet) has saved and rehabbed a squirrel with 3 broken legs. It can be done. We have the pictures to prove it.

As for rabies :rolleyes:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/community/rabies/Documents/Rabiesguide2008.pdf

"From 1957 through 1983, 17,487 squirrels, rats, and mice were examined for rabies in Florida; only one was found to be rabid."

Sorry to do that (pick one tiny thing out of your post and nitpick on it), but turnabout is fair play. We are talking about animals. ;)

Point taken. I even went and did some of my own research and edited my post accordingly (before I saw this reply from you, if that matters). Now that we've established that squirrels can stay afloat if needed, the point remains that it couldn't escape, exhausted itself and died. This obviously affected the OP enough that she felt compelled to post about it.

Just out of curiosity, were there any points in my original post that you felt were valid? It's ok if you didn't. It's also ok if you just want to write me off as a crazy animal-lover (I know I do ;) ). I am just curious.

I'm guessing she maybe felt a little silly feeling so bad about a little old squirrel and was looking for a little validation for her feelings. Also, she perceived a problem, the CMs didn't act with the urgency or concern she expected when an animal was at risk, and she's probably disappointed and bummed out about it. Top it off with the stress from the fact that her daughter witnessed this animal struggle for it life and loose. Even worse, mom tried to help and mom couldn't save it. That's a heavy dose of unnecessary reality for a young girl.

Again, OP, I understand your saddness and frustration. I sympathize completely and understand your need to vent.

And I've rehabbed several horses with broken legs...and lost a few too. The point being, if the animal drowned as quickly as the poster described, there was nothing the CM's, animal control or even the OP could've done to save it short of jumping into the water to Baywatch a rescue.

My mentioning of the broken bones/rabies was to illustrate that there may have been a reason the poor guy fell into the water in the first place. Regardless, it's a sad fact of life. Death. All any of us can do is to empathize with the OP and her kids.

One, We were waiting for a boat to Italy, I have a bad knee and was not going to hike it all the way around while there was a boat offered so we had to wait for the boat, not just walk away like one person said.

Second, we did try to lower my bff's sons harness bear pack with soft handle but it was not big enough... we are a bunch of females, if we had taken our shirts off to try to save the squirrel we would have put on quite the show. In short of jumping in for it there was nothing we could do and I am really hurt that someone on here would say something like that.

Third, while squirrels can swim, they can for short periods of time. There was NO way out for the squirrel or even a place for him to stop and rest and he swam for a half hour before it died, his little heart must have just given up. He swam for a half hour, I am sorry but this is Disney World, I am sure within a half hour animal control could have shown up if they had even been called.

And Fourth, I am sorry to have started this thread, I was just trying to vent about something we witnessed in Disney. I know that it is the circle of life but none the less it WAS tramatic for our girls who are sensitive sweet young children. They did all their young tiny selves could to save the squirrel.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intent.

That is horrible!!! My DH and I would have been so upset too. I know it is only a squirrel but it is an animal and that is horrible that your daughters had to witness that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter