With multie scooters which resort is best?

zabache

DIS Veteran
Hello, my family is planning a Christmas trip to the world. It will be my family with my parents. My husband and my parents will probably be renting scooters since they all have serious leg issues. I had a suite at ASM booked but last night switched to a cabin at Ft. Wilderness. Now I'm doubting if I made the right choice since Ft. Wilderness is so big. Which resort do you think would be best to maneuver with multiple scooters? Thx

I would beware of double bus transfers at the cabins. You often have to take an internal bus to the main bus stop or boat dock, which will add some time and worry loading and unloading the scooters. Which resort is better depends on which park you expect to visit most and of course that pesky old budget :)

I would beware of double bus transfers at the cabins. You often have to take an internal bus to the main bus stop or boat dock, which will add some time and worry loading and unloading the scooters. Which resort is better depends on which park you expect to visit most and of course that pesky old budget :)

Agree. You have to take a bus internally to get to the busses and boats to the parks. With 3 people in scooters you run a high risk of long wait times for transportation as each bus might only be able to accommodate one scooter at a time

I agree that the double bus issue is a bad one with ECV. I also would avoid any resort that shares a bus stop. One thing that you may not know is that you can have the resort call and send a bus with 3 wheelchair spot on it.

I've only stayed at one resort with multiple ECV's, but Port Orleans French Quarter was absolutely great. They share a bus with Port Orleans Riverside, but they're the first stop on the way to the parks and a small resort, so the bus is usually pretty empty on boarding. The bus stop is roomy and shady, and although there are some rough cobblestone patches, the distance between all the buildings is short.

I've only stayed at one resort with multiple ECV's, but Port Orleans French Quarter was absolutely great. They share a bus with Port Orleans Riverside, but they're the first stop on the way to the parks and a small resort, so the bus is usually pretty empty on boarding. The bus stop is roomy and shady, and although there are some rough cobblestone patches, the distance between all the buildings is short.

That would be my pick too! Prior to retirement and spending winters near Disney I stayed there with my 2 daughters in wheelchair and my father with his scooter. Plenty of room and that is where I learned I could call and have a bus sent that would hold all 3 of their chairs. I also like the boat to DTD but not sure if it will hold 3 ECV's at one time

We've stayed in the cabins in the past and there is no way you would be able to get 3 ecvs in the cabin to recharge. I wasn't disabled at the time, but the cabins are quite compact on the inside. And it really is very reliant on the internal bus system just to get out to the theme park buses. It was a hassle when we could walk so I can only imagine what it would be like disabled. We stayed there when our children were younger before they had any other resorts that would accommodate a family of more than 4.

A couple of ideas:

If one in your party can walk to and from the parks and at the resort you may be better off renting one scooter at the park. Maybe, everyone could take turns and you could share the two scooters among the three people. Then, you don't have to fit three scooters in one room.

I can't tell you which resort, but I remember there are a few resorts (with hallways) which allow a scooter to be outside the room. Evidently, there are outlets in the hallway where you can charge up. This would be at a Deluxe resort.

At Ft. Wilderness you may be able to leave the scooters outside and just take the batteries in for recharging. You don't need the actual scooter to charge it. You would have to cover any scooters outside if there is a possibility of rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter