With DDP dead (for us)...now looking for good offsite restaurants

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
With the changes coming for DDP 2008, we will be eating virtually all of our meals offsite and would appreciate suggestions for restaurants.

We already know about Columbia and Bonefish Grill, and have both of them on our list. We are looking for a good steak place to replace Le Cellier and a couple of decent moderately priced places for casual meals.

We will still be staying in DVC onsite, and we always have a car, so driving somewhere is not an issue.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Charlies Steak House on 192 and another on International Drive is rated as one of the top 5 in the US. There is also a Ruth Chris but I'd prefer Charlies - lower cost and I preferred the beef at Charlies. Highly recommended for upscale steakhouse dining.

In a completely different approach, but excellent quality, Texas DeBrazil on International Drive. It is a one-price, all you can eat upscale eatery that can hold it's own with the best pricey steakhouses. You'll pay at least $42/plate adult but when you leave chances are you'll feel it was a bargain! Sign up on their website for some good discount coupons and specials.

You have me hungry already!

Charlies Steak House on 192 and another on International Drive is rated as one of the top 5 in the US. There is also a Ruth Chris but I'd prefer Charlies - lower cost and I preferred the beef at Charlies. Highly recommended for upscale steakhouse dining.

In a completely different approach, but excellent quality, Texas DeBrazil on International Drive. It is a one-price, all you can eat upscale eatery that can hold it's own with the best pricey steakhouses. You'll pay at least $42/plate adult but when you leave chances are you'll feel it was a bargain! Sign up on their website for some good discount coupons and specials.

Thanks, we have Texas DeBrazil here in Miami, so I'm familiar with them. I've eaten at the Ruth's Chris in Winter Park and it was not very good at all. I was surprised, because I've eaten at a lot of those and they are always great, but that one was not.

I believe Charlie's was the steak house I was trying to remember. I'll check them out.

We have 2 favorites Baham Breeze and Dixie Crossroads.

They are chains but offer a god meal and nice surroundings.

Hi, CARRABBAS on Vineland (right near the OUTLETS) EXCELLENT!! Joan

It's definitely not a steak place, but if you like salad & soup, the place to go is Sweet Tomatoes. I'm a vegetarian and it's always a highlight of my trips to Orlando. Less than $10 a person for all-you-can eat soup, salads, potatoes, pizza, pasta, and desserts. Everything is very good quality except the pasta (which is overcooked.)

It's up towards Universal Studios. I don't go to Universal but I usually stop by Sweet Tomatoes on my way to Prime 1 Outlets (the former Bellz'.)

here's the list for our November 2007 trip:

Bubba Gump at City Walk

Maggiano's at Point Orlando off I-drive by convention center

Manny's Chop House, Haines City (supposed to have great steaks - by DIS report this is where the "locals" go)

Chevy's Fresh Mex - 2 WDW locations, on 435 just north of I-4 in LBV and 192 & Vine St in Kissimmee

PF Changs

All of these are chains except for Manny's. But, when you live in rural upstate NY, you don't get to eat at these places often - unless you want to drive 90 minutes. :eek:

You will want ressies for Texas de Brazil or Maggiano's if you're eating dinner.

Good luck!

L

There is also a Carrabba's in the Formosa Gardens Shopping Center on 192.
I like it much better than Olive Garden.

You don't have to limit yourself to offsite restaurants. Shula's and blueZoo get good reviews. Fresh always gets good reviews.

My family loves Bahama Breeze (#1), and Macaroni Grill (#2)!

Oh my goodness...Charlies Steak House is EXCELLENT! I had never eaten at a Ruth's Chris until after Charlies, and this was just as good. Their filet mignon melted in my mouth. I highly recommend this for anyone. :woohoo:

for, ex., Le Cellier, if you just get steak and don't get app, dessert, is still a decent price. Not really more expensive than other steak places and you get the atmosphere of Epcot. For us, we would NEVER order app and dessert if eating a steak dinner unless it was "free" on the DDP--so we will pay OOP and save the $ and calories.

for, ex., Le Cellier, if you just get steak and don't get app, dessert, is still a decent price. Not really more expensive than other steak places and you get the atmosphere of Epcot. For us, we would NEVER order app and dessert if eating a steak dinner unless it was "free" on the DDP--so we will pay OOP and save the $ and calories.
True, and LC is our favorite Disney restaurant. We discovered LC way back when it was still Disney's best kept secret, and we previously ate there every trip.

However, we have to make ADRs there 4-5 months out...and that's only because we like to dine late. If we wanted to dine during prime time, we'd have to book at 180 days. It's also very crowded and noisy -- not the same atmosphere we used to enjoy.

I want to try some offsite places that will be comparably priced and possibly better. Charlies is one I've heard nothing but rave reviews about, so that is definitely going to be on our list for next trip.

I think our lineup for next trip (5 nights) will include Charlies, Columbia, maybe Bonefish Grill (there's one right down the street from our house, so it's not anything unusual for us), one character meal, and then probably a light and casual meal somewhere.

We usually go back to our DVC resort midday for swim/nap time, so we'll do breakfasts and lunches primarily in our villa.

Just got home last night from our first "non-Disney" Disney trip. We stayed off property, so we did a mix of off and on property dining. One of our highlights was "Black Angus" steakhouse. It is right across from the DTD entrance. Very moderately priced (not as pricey as Ruth's Chris), but a nice steak house with very good food. So glad we tried it this time and would recommend to anyone!:thumbsup2

Thanks JimMIA, as happens often we are on the same track with this--I was going to post for ideas as well. DVC as well so breakfast is in the Villa and I'll plan the other meals accordingly. Though I really do not cook on vacation I don't mind throwing together a salad or sandwiches for lunch. I look forward to Pizza in the Villa at least once as well--I'll call it in and pick it up. I'll also pick up a copy of the Entertainment book in the late Spring when it is discounted.

Oh, don't forget the WDW non-DDP participating restaurants that have DVC discounts as well as the 20% discount on dining we get at Swan and Dolphin.

where is charlie's steak house i will be at windsor hills on monday thanks
maria

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter