With all this craziness in the economy...

I'm 20 years away from needing my 401k, so I'm happy to be snatching up bargains right now.

But...the 529's have me worried. We'll need that $$ in about 2.5 years. DS's is in the final (conservative) phase of its age-based mix. So I'm hoping it can hold its value. It's losing some, but less than the market overall (as a %). Maybe/hopefully we can postpone needing it for 3+ years in order to give it more time to recover.

ETA: Those of you with younger kids shouldn't have to worry about your 529s. (Let's hope.)

This is what we did and are doing. I will only know if we got it correct a year or more from now.

401K Contributing just like normal. The tax break is worth it and it will appreciate eventually. Plus there is dollar cost averaging.

A few months ago I turned some investments (about 25%) into cash. I picked and chose from the ones that I was most interested in selling eventually. They ended up in three types of accounts. A guaranteed 1 year 3% bucket, a 1% FDIC insurced account and a 3.73% (presently, it was over 5% when I moved the money) mutual fund. This is all retirement money, so we are not touching any of it.

The rest we left as it was. Some was in an energy fund (doing well), some is in index funds, some in Asia and others in Europe.

We could not move all of the money for many reasons, some we did not want to lose (cannot get back into later so needed to keep them open) and protected some.

It is all a gamble on our part and we could get it very right or very wrong. Most likely it will be somewhere in the middle.

I'm 20 years away from needing my 401k, so I'm happy to be snatching up bargains right now.

But...the 529's have me worried. We'll need that $$ in about 2.5 years. DS's is in the final (conservative) phase of its age-based mix. So I'm hoping it can hold its value. It's losing some, but less than the market overall (as a %). Maybe/hopefully we can postpone needing it for 3+ years in order to give it more time to recover.

ETA: Those of you with younger kids shouldn't have to worry about your 529s. (Let's hope.)

DD15's college accounts are getting quite a beating. I guess we will be paying more out of pocket than I had hoped. DD9's accounts don't worry me as much. I think an 8 year horizon is enough for them to recover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter