With all the sickness talk...

scraptami

Earning My Ears
In the past week we've had the thread about chicken pox and the swine flu. I have never cruised with our kids before, so I'm curious about this quarantine thing and not letting people on the ship.

We all know kids have runny noses what seems like 50% of their younger years. So if one of my kids has a runny nose but no fever or anything, are we denied boarding? I'm wondering what their criteria is. I'm thinking especially right now with the swine flu out there that the cruise lines are going to be screening more closely. Which brings up my other question, how exactly do they screen for illnesses?

We cruise Thursday and now I'm nervous. I have no doubt, given my luck, that one my kids will probably wake up Thursday morning with a runny nose. Then what?

The CM who checks you in is supposed to ask you a series of questions about illness--especially GI illness. He/she also eyeballs your party to see if you basically look well. If you respond positively to any of the questions, you have the option of seeing the ship's doctor before it is determined whether you can board or not.

They really seem more concerned with vomiting and diarrhea than sniffles...but if you have chronic airborne allergies, etc. it never hurts to carry a note from your doc that this is your "normal" situation. And, as you said...with the swine flu thing, they'll probably be paying more attention to respiratory stuff.

An illness on the ship can be much more serious than the same situation on land--they are protecting the line, YOU, and the other guests.

They take a lot of caution on the ship as well. They are consistently wiping banisters, walls, etc, with cleaner. U also can't walk anywhere where food is served without using anitbacterial wipes.

I've never read anything about anyone being quarantined for a child having a runny nose- so I doubt they'd keep you off the ship for that either. Generally they are more worried about symptoms that could be a sign of any highly contagious more "serious" illnesses (ie: diarrhea, vomitting, fever, etc.) like norovirus and I guess types of flu too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter