Wishing to be Part of "Her" World - Kendall's MAW trip to meet Ariel

terratalking

Earning My Ears
SO EXCITED!!!
We found out Kendall was approved for Make A Wish yesterday after her doctor put in the referral when Kendall was discharged from a month-long stay in the PICU in August that nearly took her life.
So much backstory I need to fill in - but by way of quick intro -
Kendall is almost 5 years old and has battled mitochondrial disease since birth. She has lived in and out of hospitals her entire life, and along with the effects on her, her three older sisters are also thrown in that mix missing mommy, never knowing if sissy is really really sick, or just kind of sick.
Her list of diagnoses that have come as a result of mito is long and full of big words - but essentially, her GI tract is essentially shutdown, leaving her dependent on a central line (permanent IV) for nutrition and medication. Her bladder has sustained a lot of nerve damage and rarely functions appropriately anymore so she drains urine through a hole surgically created in her abdomen. She has a GJ tube in place through which some meds and some pedialyte is given in an attempt to keep some functionality and protect her liver. She has some developmental delays and is in physical and occupational therapy 3-4 hours a week.
Over this summer she suffered two back to back life-threatening sepsis infections and was in the PICU and intubated for weeks at a time. The first one had us all scared, but she bounced back amazingly.
IMG_1645.jpg

when it happened again four weeks later, everyone was beyond scared that this would be it. Her bounce back was no less amazing, but it was much slower in coming. The last one took a lot out of her. Her doctor had to sit me down and have a very hard talk with me that Kendall will likely not survive another infection of this degree. The infections are coming from inside of her own gut - and there is not much we can do to prevent this from happening. We are doing what we CAN do though for her, and hoping and praying this buys us more time.
at the end of the day, that's all anyone really can ask for. More time.

As part of that conversation, her doctor said it was time to send her on her make a wish trip. All she has ever talked about is Cinderella, and more recently Ariel.
she watches those movies nonstop in the hospital, even when she is in a coma and intubated, we keep those movies playing so she can hear the music in her faraway dreams.
Right before she crashed this last time, her daddy was trying to keep her conscious, keep her talking so I could make it back to the hospital in time to see her and tell her i love her (we live three hours away from the hospital). Some of her last words to him at that time were "daddy, I just want to have red hair like Ariel. She's so pretty. I want to be just like Ariel!"
So when she recovered, and came home - red hair she got!
She tells people now that her name IS Ariel.
IMG_1875.jpg

So even though I have been torn on what this really means - to qualify for a MAW trip - I am choosing to be excited for her, for my other girls. For the fact that we get this chance to be together and create awesome memories to last a lifetime. It is hard to even think that it may be our only chance at ever doing something like this. But I won't focus on that part.
I will focus only on the amazingness of this entire journey. That's why I wanted to start this pre-trip report early. So I can document every little part of it, have it to hold on to.

We have not even met with our wish granters yet - but I am positive Kendall's one true wish will be to go meet Ariel, swim under the sea with her, be with her, and spend as much time as possible in the Happiest Place on Earth.

I will try to do full intro's in a separate post - i'm afraid of losing all i've typed in this one and need to double check i'm doing the pictures right!

Thank you for reading - hope you'll join in on our PTR!

terra

Your story was so moving, I just had to pop in and send you big ole hugs. You have a beautiful family and I sincerely hope that this trip is the most magical time in your lives. Although we have never taken a MAW trip, a close friend has and she says they go out of their way to ensure everything is fantastic.

I hope your little sweetie enjoys her time with Ariel and Cinderella and that it is all you have dreamed of for your family.

Keep us posted on how everything turns out.

Many blessings to you!

Joining in!!

What a little cutie you have!! Sorry to hear about all the struggles that have faced her and your family. Prayers that what the doctors are doing now will make a big difference. I know how scary it can be in the PICU when you are not sure how things will turn out. Big hugs to you!!!

Hooray for the wish trip!! The whole experience from wishing to flying home was magical!! pixiedust: Ariel and Cinderella her comes Kendall!!! :goodvibes

Let me know if you have any questions!!!

Happy wishing!!!

Madeline

thank you both so very much for your kind words! We are actually back up in the PICU right now with unknown issues - but she is mostly holding her own so we will gladly take it!
and now that I have a few quiet hours - I can hopefully fill in more info on our PTR! I feel like I have a billion questions to begin the planning process but not even sure where to start!
Madeline I am sure i will have to pick your brain once I get myself kind of sorted out! Thanks for the offer!

terra

Following!! Love that red hair! She's a beauty!! Will also be praying for you all! I know how difficult it is to have a child in the hospital, and others at home!

Ok I'm going to attempt to do more of an intro on the other family members - and I apologize that my pictures are ginourmous! I'm still trying to figure out new photobucket! (and if anyone has tips on getting them more regularly sized - please feel free to let me know!)

Anywhoo -

Ben and I have been married for 16 years - moved cross country three times, have four kids, three cats and a whole lotta chaos!
This picture is of him when we took a short 2 day trip in January as our girls' christmas present and to let Kendall meet cinderella after a hellacious medically scary few previous months. It is a joke because he just is never a really excitable guy - and we took a lot of pics of him with "forrest gump" type blank faces on MK rides.
dd64a2bf-03f6-4305-b2e3-a65af00edaff.jpg

Kealey is our oldest - she is 11. She holds us all together with her amazing maturity, due in part i'm sure to all she has had to endure due to her little sisters medical issues.
d51c0296-d232-48c4-aeb9-2eed2b31b8cb.jpg

Karissa is 9 and lives in her own happy little world most of the time! She always has a hug and love for anyone and everyone around her. She knows no strangers and is a constant example to me of how we should all strive to live - just spread love!
3b157bb3-80f7-458e-9990-c686c76dee98.jpg

Kaylen is 6 and her nickname is "Hurricane Kaylen" - she comes in with intensity and lives with intensity and gives me a run for my money every day of her life! She had to grow up real quick as she was only 15 months old when Kendall was born and I was thrust into the world of living in the hospital with one baby while my mom basically raised her during those first few crazy months with Kendall. Kaylen is an awesome little girl who will do great things in this world some day - i just know it.
e222df23-d94a-4027-9aa4-1c930688e2c1.jpg

And Kendall - the wish kid. I did a little background in my intro post - but forgetting all the medical stuff - she's really an awesome kid. Nothing holds her back - not the tubes/wires/monitor leads attached to her more often than not, not the pain, the nausea or the weakness. she just LOVES life. She is my inspiration and my hero. And she's pretty darn funny too.
d8e129c2-d325-469b-bbb4-f7693ff66c3f.jpg

And I guess I should include one of me - but it will probably be the only pic of myself i will post on this thread!
b83caa99-ea2c-43df-8ef5-b17f80497643.jpg

so that's our family! Thanks so much to everyone who is following along! I am sure my questions will be pouring out once we get out of the hospital and back to real life. Or at least as much of a semblance of it as we get around our house!

:rainbow:

I'm so excited to hear your story and planning. You have a beautiful family and I am so happy for you guys! I like the idea of the story from start to finish. I love all the details! Keep us updated on how everything's going!:goodvibes

She is Ariel all the way...your whole family is so sweet. Let the planning begin.

Thank you so much to everyone for all the compliments on my family - and for following along on our story!

I am SO SO SO SO EXCITED!!!!

I was just sitting here reading through PTR's after talking with my sister this morning that they are going to try to plan another trip to WDW this spring (so basically I just have a lot of disney on my mind!) -

And then.....

OUR WISH GRANTER CALLED!!!!!!!!:yay::yay::yay:

We think we will be tentatively able to meet next Sunday the 13th!
She asked if we had any initial ideas about Kendall's wish (ummmm, yes.) and then if we had tentative dates (i'm thinking possibly february?)

and that all should work out fabulously!

Doing a major happy dance right now! :cool1:

It makes it all seem so much more real!

terra

Yay for hearing from the wish granters! I'm so happy you have a date to meet with them! So Exciting! :cool1: :rotfl::cool1:

Thank you so much to everyone for all the compliments on my family - and for following along on our story!

I am SO SO SO SO EXCITED!!!!

I was just sitting here reading through PTR's after talking with my sister this morning that they are going to try to plan another trip to WDW this spring (so basically I just have a lot of disney on my mind!) -

And then.....

OUR WISH GRANTER CALLED!!!!!!!!:yay::yay::yay:

We think we will be tentatively able to meet next Sunday the 13th!
She asked if we had any initial ideas about Kendall's wish (ummmm, yes.) and then if we had tentative dates (i'm thinking possibly february?)

and that all should work out fabulously!

Doing a major happy dance right now! :cool1:

It makes it all seem so much more real!

terra

What AWESOME news!!! :goodvibes

I'm so happy to hear the the phone call went so well and that things are starting to fall in place!!! We went in February and it was OUTSTANDING!!!! :yay::woohoo::cool1::thumbsup2:love::wizard::dance3:

Happy Planning,

Madeline

Subscribing!

She looks so cute with red hair.

And I didn't realize single people could sponsor MAW trips, I thought they were all from general donations.

Tonight is the night! We meet our awesome Wish Granters tonight!!!
We are all SO excited!

I will have a TON of pics to post tomorrow I'm sure!

All four girls are SO excited - my (healthy) 6 year old keeps asking if SHE gets to make her wish too! pixiedust:

Such a magical time....

Cannot wait to share all the details here!

terra

Looking forward to hearing all about the wish meeting. Hope it was so wonderful for all of you. Let the planning begin

The official wish has been made!

"I wish to go to Disneyworld so I can see Ariel and go swimming with her and have fun with Ariel and Prince Eric!!"

I have no idea how or if they will be able to make that all happen - but they could NOT get her off of Ariel and onto anything else! Ariel Ariel Ariel....

She was a crazy hyper mess of excitement - which was spectacular!!! - right up until she fell off a stool and got hurt and the meeting was done at that point!

our wish granters were AMAZING - such kind and gentle spirits!
they had gifts for miss kendall AND a little something for each sister, which was just so touching!
346cff0c-a32b-4a01-b804-b9df351cc401.jpg

43a791a6-62ba-4848-bdfa-e04003fb4a0d.jpg

All that paperwork!!! my gosh! it feels kinda like buying a house with all the signatures required!
They told us all about GKTW, we talked about a character meal, and talked about a POSSIBLE side trip over to Weekie Watchee springs (I think that's what it's called) to see the mermaid village there!

Our dates we chose are second week of February, second week of March, or possibly the first week of April. I am hopeful that is enough time to plan and make everything smooth - but not so long that we risk her getting sick again in there somewhere! UGH - such a hard place to be!

I am still a little "shell-shocked" that we are actually doing this! We have never been on a plane all together as a family before - and my 6 year old has never flown in her life - she still i don't think, quite "gets" that we will all get to go on a plane TOGETHER, and that the plane is taking us to WDW!!!!

Ohhhh let the actual planning begin! i am squealing with excitement!!!

IMG_2438.jpg

So.....

Now what??? I have never been to any of the other parks except MK (and ok I think when i was about 5 we went to Epcot but it had just opened a few months before and i don't remember ANYTHING about it!)

I think there are things at each park that we would probably enjoy - but no idea what they are or how to go about finding them! Gotta read up on some more TR's here i think for good ideas! She will be in the infusion clinic all day today research!

Thanks again for following along~ so much fun to have others be excited with us!

terra

You guys are going to have so much fun. You should try to get an ADR at CRT. I have a 10,8,5 and 3 year old and they loved it. I was also amazed by my kiddos they went on every ride they were tall enough for. We went at a slow time and a I swear one day my 5 year old made me ride big thunder mountain railroad like ten times. Have a really fun time. Also I would highly recommend getting photo pass.

The official wish has been made!

"I wish to go to Disneyworld so I can see Ariel and go swimming with her and have fun with Ariel and Prince Eric!!"

I have no idea how or if they will be able to make that all happen - but they could NOT get her off of Ariel and onto anything else! Ariel Ariel Ariel....

She was a crazy hyper mess of excitement - which was spectacular!!! - right up until she fell off a stool and got hurt and the meeting was done at that point!

our wish granters were AMAZING - such kind and gentle spirits!
they had gifts for miss kendall AND a little something for each sister, which was just so touching!
346cff0c-a32b-4a01-b804-b9df351cc401.jpg

43a791a6-62ba-4848-bdfa-e04003fb4a0d.jpg

All that paperwork!!! my gosh! it feels kinda like buying a house with all the signatures required!
They told us all about GKTW, we talked about a character meal, and talked about a POSSIBLE side trip over to Weekie Watchee springs (I think that's what it's called) to see the mermaid village there!

Our dates we chose are second week of February, second week of March, or possibly the first week of April. I am hopeful that is enough time to plan and make everything smooth - but not so long that we risk her getting sick again in there somewhere! UGH - such a hard place to be!

I am still a little "shell-shocked" that we are actually doing this! We have never been on a plane all together as a family before - and my 6 year old has never flown in her life - she still i don't think, quite "gets" that we will all get to go on a plane TOGETHER, and that the plane is taking us to WDW!!!!

Ohhhh let the actual planning begin! i am squealing with excitement!!!

IMG_2438.jpg

So.....

Now what??? I have never been to any of the other parks except MK (and ok I think when i was about 5 we went to Epcot but it had just opened a few months before and i don't remember ANYTHING about it!)

I think there are things at each park that we would probably enjoy - but no idea what they are or how to go about finding them! Gotta read up on some more TR's here i think for good ideas! She will be in the infusion clinic all day today research!

Thanks again for following along~ so much fun to have others be excited with us!

terra

Hooray for the wish granters!!! pixiedust:

Hooray for Make a Wish!!! pixiedust:

It looks like it's time for you to start planning. I agree that you should try to make dining reservations as soon as you know the dates. We went to Cinderella's Royal Table and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

Keep in mind that if you use all the free tickets that you will get that you will need to use two parks in one day. We did that and it worked out well for us. I have seen that other families skip parks so that is an option as well.

Don't forget to save time for Give Kids the World!!! It is an amazing place with awesome activities especially at night. We did the parks in the day and had dinner and activities at Give Kids the World in the evening.

Take a look at park maps, and Youtube videos attractions, and let the family list their must do's. This will give you a great place to start planning!!!

Among all remember you can't do it all, but what you will do will be AMAZING!!!

Happy Planning, pixiedust:

Madeline

WISH MADE and now let the fun begin.

I so agree with a lot of advice people have given you already:
- PhotoPass is a must do. They take the photos - your are in them
- Cinderella's Royal Table or Akerhaus in Epcot for Princess meal (the princess meal is right by Frozen character meet if they are still there in March)
- make time for your resort area GKTW. They do so many amazing activities with the families and kids.

Autograph books, matching shirts, countdowns(once you have date)...if you need advice on these let me know I make alot of this stuff and can give quick tips.

1 more thing - watch the costume sales right after halloween - you could get princess costumes for all on the great deals and a lot of kids wear these in the parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter