• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wishing I didn't have cold feet re. accepted resale contract!

gk90

Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!
I've been thinking about DVC since August, have spent hours and hours looking at info on these boards and other sites, running the numbers, convincing DH, looking at resale contracts and figuring out that or now at least we want just a small contract.
Finally last week a small SSR resale contract with a use year that's good for us came on the market. We made an offer, waited a few days (the owners were on vacation) and finally found out yesterday that our offer was accepted. But for some reason, I don't know why, I'm more scared than excited. I know that we want it and are already planning the trip even though it's 16 months away (we're banking the 2008 points for a 2009 trip because we have other plans for this year) so why am I getting cold feet now? I thought that I'd be posting dancing bananas :banana: but instead I feel a little overwhelmed and confused :confused:
The paperwork is supposed to arrive tomorrow and maybe that will get me more into it. Looking at all the great resort photos that people have posted helps too.

We started with a small resell SSR contract. I was also very nervous. We just wanted to get in the system and take advantage of the discounts. Our plan was to only go once every other year. Well....2 add ons later:scared1: ....so much for planning. Just know it's addictive. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I felt very scared too, at one point I was hoping to get ROFR'd (that was a really bad day!:sad2: ) Anyway it is hard to part with a large amount of $$. Just sit down and think it through and make sure it is what you want. If it is Good Luck!:goodvibes

Don't worry, I think it's perfectly normal to have some apprehension when spending a large sum of money. Right after I bought DVC I had a panicked feeling that I had just made a huge mistake, but now I'm calmer and glad we bought in. :)

Yep..it's kinda freaky to shell ou the $$ to start..I sure was. Now, I'm glad I did and can't wait for GCV!

It sounds like you thought this out before you went forward. I think it is normal to be a little nervous. I can remember feeling a little apprehensive, but once I actually signed the paperwork and gave it to Fedex, my apprehension turned to euphoria. I've felt really good about the decision every since that moment. Not even a millisecond of regret!

I hope that helps.

Deb :banana: :cool1: :goodvibes :yay: :banana: Yep, I'm very happy.

It sounds like you thought this out before you went forward. I think it is normal to be a little nervous. I can remember feeling a little apprehensive, but once I actually signed the paperwork and gave it to Fedex, my apprehension turned to euphoria. I've felt really good about the decision every since that moment. Not even a millisecond of regret!

I hope that helps.

Deb :banana: :cool1: :goodvibes :yay: :banana: Yep, I'm very happy.

That's the kind of story I like to hear! Thanks to all for the kind remarks, :flower3: I'm feeling better already.

I realize that another reason for my cold feet is the idea that we'll be committed to vacations 11 months out or 7 months out--I enjoy the planning and after I bite the bullet and write down dates in my calendar I'm all right but for wahtever reason I always go through indecision and even agonizing whenever it comes to actually pinning down dates, even for something as simple as a dental appointment. At least we know the best times for our vacations--DH and I are both teachers and we're still off during August "dream season" along with the kids so that's the best point value for us for several years to come.

I am doing the same thing!!
I have had tunnel vision, can't talk/think/dream about anything else than DVC since October 2006 and now that Hubby has broken and is really letting me get it, and has even changed his mind from buying a 50 pt. resale to just going all the way and gettin 160 at saratoga, I am the one freaking out trying to decide if this is the right decision and holding back on it.

You have both thought about purchasing DVC for a long time and have obviously done your homework. It is a huge expenditure and a longtime commitment so it's completely understandable that you would have some misgivings. But as long as you have run your numbers and feel you can afford it, try to relax and think of the years of enjoyment you will get out of DVC. When my first effort to purchase fell thru I was relieved because I was so afraid I was making a mistake. The contract passed ROFR and then the sellers decided not to sell. I waited several more months before a contract I wanted came up on TTS. By then I was more than ready to purchase. I have since added on four times at BWV direct from DVC.

For what it's worth, I had a similar reaction on my first DVC purchase. Instead of coming on the DIS and making a "Yeah, I passed ROFR" post, I had a big case of buyers regret. "<Shoot> now it's real. What have I done?"

But there are two great things about DVC to remember...

1) It retails its value well. If you figure out somewhere down the road that DVC isn't for you, you can always sell for about what you paid for it. You might be out a few bucks for transaction costs, but you aren't at risk for the whole purchase price.

2) You get great Disney trips out of it! I suspect after your first trip, all doubt will have gone away and you'll be thinking of an add-on.

I wouldnt woryy so much about it. Everyone has buyers remorse when spending a large amount of money (regardless of what you purchase). All I can tell you is this, after you get in and begin to utilize your membership you will wonder why you didnt do it years earlier:banana:

Thanks to all for the reassurance! I'd forgotten how hard I get hit with buyers remorse after every major purchase. I'm feeling much better now that we've signed and returned the contracts. And last night I stayed up late doing a search for the original deed on the Orange County site--it was interesting to find it, and seeing the mouse ears on the boxes for the signatures made me smile :) --a cute Disney touch on a dry legal document!
Also, thanks to our incredibly knowledgeable moderator Lisa S, :thanks: I know where we "own" our 50 points, according to the contract we have a ".1685 % interest" in unit 36B and from looking at the plans she found me (see this thread, http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1795825) I see it's in one of the Grand Villas--cool! :thumbsup2

I think it's normal. We just passed ROFR on our first contract. It is a lot of money but it also an emotional rollercoaster. It is hard to get your hopes up and not be nervous about passing ROFR especially after all the searching and studying you have done. It could just be the whole enchilada that has you a little apprehensive. This too shall pass!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter