Wishes in Catsablanca: 7.22.13 Epcot Wedding PJ&TR! Updated 03/09/15

LOVE your dress!!

Love the bridesmaid dresses!!!

I know I dont comment much (if at all) but I think your wedding sounds amazing!!! I can't wait to hear more about it. I love all your personal touches for your guests

We are back from our Planning Session with much planning done and all kinds of fun had! :cool1: And now back to the real world, which means time for a TR to draw out the Disney fun! :rotfl: DF was particularly eager for me to start writing this, to the point where he actually wrote a lot of this. :thumbsup2

Day One: Sunday, March 10th, 2013

Spring Break, woo!

After a particularly stressful early morning flight, we boarded Magical Express for Old Key West Resort. This was our first DVC resort and our first time renting points. Almost immediately upon arrival in our room we were dazzled by our spectacular first impression, and were very seriously thinking: "Maybe we really should join DVC!"

PSTR-006_zps1fa305a0.jpg

PSTR-009_zpsed7f098d.jpg

PSTR-007_zps2c2b6ae8.jpg

I can't say I've ever read amazing reviews of OKW, but I thought the resort looked great. It was bright and fresh, very welcoming, just like coming home. Throughout our trip I found myself making connections between OKW and Caribbean Beach, both positively and negatively. Similar pastel-coloured two-storey buildings clustered together (but somehow slightly more refined), similar bus service, similar foliage, etc. A major difference between OKW and CBR seemed to be the Hospitality House contains everything, as opposed to CBR where things were divided between the Custom House and Old Port Royale. But because OKW is deluxe and DVC there was even more: check-in, library/parlour seating area, the main pool, docks with boat rentals and launches to DTD, Olivia's TS restaurant, CS restaurant, bar and gift shop. Other amenities included tennis courts, arcade, shuffle board, table tennis, bike rentals and more. It's clear that the regular DVC members who call OKW "home" are made to feel like it's home at every turn, though even as non-members we never felt out of place. It needn't be said, but service was nothing but friendly, accommodating and efficient.

PSTR-011_zps3dd6275c.jpg

I know kids, lets play shuffleboard today instead of Magic Kingdom!

Bell services whisked us to our room in building 52. If CBR has a circular layout, OKW's layout of is three branching clusters of buildings. Our studio room was fairly stunning: very spacious with enough real estate for two full queen beds, a small kitchenette with microwave, coffee-maker, sink and fridge with room to spare. Our small terrace overlooked a golf course making it, probably, the best view we've ever had at Disney (AKL notwithstanding). And it's definitely bigger than all the rooms we've stayed in at WDW, and that includes standard rooms at deluxe resorts.

PSTR-001_zpsb9d2e4d9.jpg

PSTR-005_zps9c21a9c2.jpg

This was the very peak of our love affair with OKW, and, like an episode of the Twilight Zone, where everything is just a little too perfect and you just know that something bad is going to happen, things were about to go downhill. After literally two minutes from our arrival, there was a knock at the door. A smiling plumber entered and informed us that the drain for the tub was clogged, and after fishing around, he snagged a fistful of soggy hair. As he was leaving he told us he'd be back to replace the broken blow dryer. First impressions are one thing, though, and OKW's flaws continued to reveal themselves with time. We cleaned ourselves up and made our way to EPCOT for some good eats at the Flower & Garden Festival.

First flaw: Bus service to the parks from OKW is fairly inefficient. There are five stops--Penninsular, South Point, Turtle Pond, Miller's Road and Hospitality House--and the buses always stop in that order. The layout of the resort necessitates the bus to travel down a "branch," stop for pick up, turn at a roundabout and re-trace its path. We were at South Point, and the three subsequent stops added a good fifteen minutes to each bus trip. I'd also note that construction at OKW had the bus redirected to make the loop back to South Point by going through the parking lot directly in front of our room. Yeah.

That being said, despite it being peak season the bus was never full and we never had to stand, no matter the time of the day. Even immediately after Wishes, when all other resort buses were packed solid, everyone headed back to OKW had a seat on the bus.

I really like your at home invites...it might be worth the extra money to get them done at vistaprint so you don't have to cut them out but I think they'll be really sharp looking!

I love the fans so far, I agree that's a great idea for a July wedding!

Enjoy your mini vacation, I look forward to hearing about the planning session!

Brooke
Thank you! We decided to go ahead with the vistaprint. We ordered them before heading to Disney and they arrived while we were away almost a week earlier than expected! Great experience and I'm glad we decided to go with it.

If you do add a foruth section to your fan, I think you might want to consider putting a thank-you and the inspiration behind your wedding. You can point out similarities between your wedding and the inspiration for it. You certainly don't have to do it, but the guests might enjoy that aspect of it.

:)
Those are some wonderful ideas! I love both ideas and I think I may try to make them both happen on a fourth section. Thank you for your input!

If you print through Staples, you should be able to have the invitations cut out, too. Here it's a $2 per cut fee. So, if you only needed the stack cut in half, for example, it'd only cost $2 extra (for all). If you bring your own cardstock, the color copy rate drops significantly as well.

We haven't gotten to the music selection for our wedding yet, so I'm confused about this. I'm listening to the playlist in YouTube, but I don't understand which goes for which part of the ceremony. Is there a while of seating music?

The fan invites are cute! Are you using a brad to hold them together? Is that what it's called? A brad? I haven't seen those things in eons. \

I watched "The Aristocats" on Netflix yesterday and fell in love! I can totally see how your whole wedding matches the theme of the film. I agree with the other person on Disboard -- a final panel for the fan would be neat (explaining the concept behind the theme)... unless of course it's already a given for all of your family. I finished our (newer) invitations and thank you cards last night! I need to catch up in my PJ!

HAVE FUN ON YOUR TRIP! pixiedust:
That is a good tip about Staples, I didn't know about that. The seating music is for before the actual ceremony begins, as the guests arrive and take their seats. The planning kit our planner sent us for the planning session recommended 4-5 songs for the seating/pre-ceremony. Thank you for the compliment on the fan! :goodvibes I think we'll probably just punch a hole and use a ribbon. Maybe I'll put in an eyelet or grommet, I'll need to do a test.

LOVE your dress!!

Love the bridesmaid dresses!!!

I know I dont comment much (if at all) but I think your wedding sounds amazing!!! I can't wait to hear more about it. I love all your personal touches for your guests
Thank you, thank you! :blush:

Planning Session TR: Day One, Part Two - Epcot Flower and Garden Festival

As all of you know, we received our two complimentary Annual Passes from DFTW after signing our LOA. We decided to use only one of the vouchers this trip and save the other for another trip down the line. I didn't realize that the actual Annual Pass was printed on paper, making it more cheap feeling than the actual voucher. And because DF was using his ticket through his room key card, I quickly discovered that using different kinds of passes is a little bit of an annoyance. There were times when CMs wanted him and I to split up because the plastic cards have been implemented into the new system and the paper tickets (including apparently APs) have not. One CM in particular at DHS really wanted me to get in a huge line with my fellow lesser paper-using Disney guests :-)rolleyes:) meanwhile DF had zoomed off towards the new plastic-only line-free system. I had none of that.

As soon as we were in EPCOT, we went to Guest Services and purchased a Tables in Wonderland card for $100, which quickly paid for itself during this trip alone (and will pay for itself again at our rehearsal dinner). The AP discount on merchandise saved us a bunch too, as soon as I remembered to use it.

Anyhow, flowers! Greenery! Spring! Blooming! Photosynthesis! The Flower & Garden Festival! The topiaries and flowers are beautiful, but the main attraction for us was the food - it was like attending F&W lite, I'm guessing. If they continue to showcase food as well as gardening (we live in an apartment, so really this isn't much of a draw), we definitely will be back. Also, we've only ever been to the World Showcase in the summer, and with the heat, our globe-trekking zeal putters out around Italy, so it was nice to be able to take a leisurely stroll, seeing things we'd otherwise pass by. And the eating!

PSTR-030_zps8a5fd576.jpg

PSTR-014_zpsdec7391f.jpg

Oh yeah, that's a keeper.

I am officially very, very jealous of everyone who gets to get married at this time of year. The weather is gorgeous!

Anyway, even before we reached Mexico, we stopped at the Florida Fresh stand for a delicious cold/hot punch of watermelon salad and shrimp and grits. The watermelon was fresh and sweet, and the addition of pickled red onions added another depth of sweetness. The titular shrimps atop the titular grits were perfectly cooked, very tender and sweet. A great start.

PSTR-015_zps88829d80.jpg

Our Yeti tagged along again.

Next we stopped in Mexico for a crab tostada. The fresh lump crab was tossed with cilantro and (mild) green chilies and came with a wedge of lime for added acidity. The tostada was crispy and not greasy at all. It was a pleasure to eat.

PSTR-016_zps86a9bb40.jpg

Our appetites momentarily abated, we headed to Maelstrom over in Norway. Can I take a moment to appreciate this mural?

PSTR-017_zps67742ac9.jpg

It's pretty majestic. What exactly are those two guys doing up front and center?

China was next, and we opted for a peach oolong bubble tea. If you live in a cosmopolitan area with a Chinese community, bubble tea is fairly common. In our area, bubble tea shops are like bars, where young people gather to drink tapioca-infused concoctions, chat and play cards for hours on end. We know and love bubble tea, and this bubble tea was a disappointment. The peach syrup was too thick and sweet, and the bubble tea is normally served with thick bubble tea straws so you can suck up a piece of tapioca. Instead, we were given a thin straw and a spoon. The thin straw frequently got clogged with a piece of tapioca, so it was not very tasty and difficult to drink. Take a pass.

PSTR-018_zps717f71b9.jpg

There's always time to stop and pet a panda

I skipped food in Germany, but DF went for a "German meatloaf" sandwich, essentially pureed meat on a roll with sweet grainy mustard and deep-fried shallots. According to DF, there were a lot of powerful flavours, except for the meatloaf, which faded to the background. More miss than hit.

PSTR-019_zps2a3646e6.jpg

In Italy we only stopped for a photo.

PSTR-021_zps380626e7.jpg

Classic! :rotfl2:

Things got back on track in Japan, with a delightful frushi, with a raspberry coulis doubling as the soy sauce and whipped cream subbing in for wasabi. We chased it with a delicious glass of peach sake. Too bad you can't find the stuff in Canada (the country or pavilion.)

PSTR-024_zps18cb8fc7.jpg

We also made a stop in at Mitsukoshi and saw the candy animal lady for the first time ever. She is really spectacular!

PSTR-023_zps7684ba0c.jpg

Fastforward...

PSTR-027_zps47d42e8b.jpg

I am ready for our DP!

We had an ADR at Garden Grill, so we began to slow down with the eating, but we saved the best for last: Pineapple Promenade just outside the Canada pavilion. There are those who will tell you that the Dole Whip with spiced rum is just Dole Whip with spiced rum. Actually, it's literally just that--a cup of Dole Whip with a shot of rum on top--but that's ignoring the essential alchemy of taking something awesome and adding another awesome thing to it, thus making the sum better still than its already awesome parts.

PSTR-029_zps07ae1850.jpg

Between this part of the day and our Garden Grill ADR we still had a lot of hours and a quickly depleting supply of energy. We did our best to make it on to some rides and do some shopping, and we may or may not have popped into Mouse Gears to make this happen...

PSTR-031_zps3695c10d.jpg

Anyway, as I mentioned in my Site Visit TR, we love Sunshine Seasons. Our enthusiasm for Garden Grill is considerably lower. It's a family-style meal, where they'll keep bringing you more helpings if you ask (and without the guilt trips I get from my real family) though we were stuffed without having to ask for more. The meal begins with warm egg bread and maple butter.

PSTR-032_zps12687929.jpg

I don't know if I was starving, or what, but these were delicious!

I was really looking forward to the salad--a basic tossed salad with a sliced hardboiled egg and a mild creamy dressing--because the vegetables at the Land are always exceptional, but it was a little overdressed. The mains were fine with the tender and flavourful filet of beef and mashed potatoes as the standout, a tilapia filet with ratatouille as the fair offering, and dry roast turkey as the letdown. And that's exactly the order in which they were plated, too. Mains come with a bowl of mac 'n' cheese topped with goldfish crackers.

PSTR-033_zpse421c945.jpg

Speaking of letdowns, the restaurant usually rotates slowly, but the rotary mechanism was on spring break too, so no turning on this day. And, no, were weren't at the tables facing out onto Living with the Land ride, but at least we weren't at the tables facing out into the waiting area, where your sloppy table manners are on public display for an entire meal, and the guy who's been waiting an hour for his pager to blink keeps suspiciously eyeing your mac 'n' cheese.

The meal ended with a mixed berry cobbler baked in a skillet, topped with vanilla whipped cream. The whipped cream had flecks of black, so you could see they stripped a real vanilla bean, and you could taste it, too; it was easily the highlight of the meal. The cobbler, on the other hand, tasted like the blueberry muffin I bought from the airport coffee shop earlier that day.

PSTR-034_zpsd89003eb.jpg

Our view for the night along with Mickey propping us up to keep us from falling over in total, utter exhaustion.

Overall, I'd say that there isn't a dish at Garden Grill I'd want to go back and order, let alone sit through an entire meal's worth of other stuff to get. And it's expensive. With TiW, the bill for two diners (with two alcoholic drinks) came to just under $100, so I'd only recommend it if you're on the dining plan, and even then I'd recommend Sunshine Seasons downstairs first.

Yaay, mini-TR time! Can't wait to hear about how the rest of it went.
Yay! :goodvibes

Oh! You started your PS TR! How awesome!

I'm sorry your trip thusfar has been such a mixed bag. Hopefully it gets better.
It's funny you should say that...

Well, don't get me wrong the day as a whole was really great. I loved our time at Epcot and despite it all, I did enjoy Garden Grill too. It's just unfortunate that there were so many things that happened on that first day that weren't up to the usual experience standard.

Day One BONUS: Too Much Fun at OKW

Oh right, did I forget to mention our day didn't blissfully end there? Well these are the moments that TRs are made for, kind of...

It was around 9:30pm when we decided we were ready to head back to OKW and get some much needed rest. Our flight that morning had been at 6:30am, our alarm had gone off around 3:00 or 4:00am and it was daylight savings day Sunday, so we had been awake for 22 hours or so. And I was basically about to keel over in that delicious vanilla bean whipped cream, so we skipped Illuminations with the knowledge that the next time we see it will be on our wedding day. It's more romantic that way!

We made it back to OKW with ease and speed, and dragged ourselves into our room ready to get into our pajamas as fast as possible and conk out. If only we were so lucky. While DF was getting ready in the bathroom, I was wandering around the room tidying up and waiting my turn. I was standing between the table and the kitchenette when suddenly I heard voices and they sounded very near.

I heard something along the lines of, "Hey! Where does this go?" I heard a door open and then suddenly the adjoining door into OUR room was opening...

Hearing these voices I had moved in closer, to just behind the door. And when that door started opening, I shouted a very shocked "UM!" pushing the door shut against them, and before I could get another word out they had retreated. AGH! And I locked that thing so fast!

PSTR-002_zpse3e83863.jpg

Quick backtrack to the beginning of the day. As soon as I walked into the room I saw the adjoining door and I (along with most intelligent people!) knew that this door went into the next room over. The lock had been in the horizontal position, and I assumed that meant the door was locked because that's how the locks work in most places I know. I should have still checked the door then and there, but I didn't so I can't dwell on that. I will NEVER make that mistake again and I will NEVER assume Disney will make sure these doors are locked between guests. Again: AGH!

Bryan came out of the bathroom, I told him the story. He was angry but we decided to just brush it off and just go to bed finally.

By then it was pretty clear that our "neighbours" were college students. And two hours later, amid the sounds of yelling, chanting, laughing, and glass-clinking drinking game shenanigans, we had had about ENOUGH! I put a towel against the space under the door. I put the extra pillows. We even - and I took photographic proof with this TR in mind - lifted up the mattress off the second queen bed and put it up against the door. It was DF's idea. We had already switched the mattresses because this one had been mysteriously wet. ICK! Anyway, he was apparently in a mattress-moving state of mind.

PSTR-035_zps0ec8cdc4.jpg

Also, in a similar situation, don't bother trying this, it's a waste of time and it did absolutely nothing to block or muffle the noise. I have no idea what was going on with the soundproofing between those rooms that night. Either those rooms had NONE, because the soundproofing between bedrooms in my own house is better than in this HOTEL room. OR our curious and inconsiderate "neighbours" had forgotten to properly shut the door between rooms on their end.

DF called the front desk and reported their Spring Break party. The front desk was very friendly, they asked a bunch of questions about what was going on and then the conversation was over. Meanwhile I was lying there wide-awake complaining at what kind of loser college students come all the way to Disney World only to stay in their hotel room all night boozing. Before even all the parks or DTD were closed. (We are approaching 24 hours or more of no sleep. I apologize for nothing.) After the call DF and I lay in bed staring at the mattress covered door, waiting for some indication that Disney would do something. Call them. Send someone over. Something, anything! No... half an hour later there was no sign that anything would change.

That was that, DF called and complained to the front desk again and asked for them to switch us to a new room. They started off with the whole the resort is at 99% capacity spiel (I could be wrong but I don't think that was likely, considering how few people were around) but then miraculously found us a room a few buildings down. They sent over someone with new room keys, we put the mattresses back in order (and you'd never know anything had been moved) and tossed all our stuff back in our suitcases in record time. We walked over to our new room and marvelled that it was an exact replica except in reverse. The one very significant difference? Silence. More or less. There were in fact four air conditioners directly behind our beds. But I will take the soothing lullaby sounds of four air conditioners over four drunk teens ANY SINGLE DAY EVER!

PSTR-038_zpsf555ced6.jpg

Also I checked the adjoining room door to make sure it was locked before I even let go of my suitcase.

(I didn't take any photos of our new, better room, so here's a reversed photo of the original room.)

PSTR-036_zpsfc54689a.jpg

Ahh, that's the room I remember!

In conclusion, OKW did right by us. Our room was perfect once we were switched, and we enjoyed the rest of our stay immensely. Though, perhaps we weren't again quite as dazzled by the idea of OKW or DVC as were in those first moments of arrival. Oh well!

Sorry that happened to you on your trip, that must have been terrible. As a teenager who has been on a few class trips (and one to Disney in a week), I can honestly say that behaviour like that bothers me to no end. -.- Maybe I'm just an old person in a youngling's body. :rotfl: Anyway, I'm glad your resort fixed everything and I hope the rest of the trip was stellar!

The plumber & hair clog was hilarious... I"m sure it wasn't when it happened, but looking back, it's pretty funny because it's so random/sudden/unsightly/etc... :lmao:

I've gotta say that after what I've read so far, I wouldn't want to go anywhere near this DVC rental... I'm extremely passive aggressive when it comes to noise. :snooty: It's probably my biggest vice.

It's exciting reading your TR though. Keep it coming!

Sorry that happened to you on your trip, that must have been terrible. As a teenager who has been on a few class trips (and one to Disney in a week), I can honestly say that behaviour like that bothers me to no end. -.- Maybe I'm just an old person in a youngling's body. :rotfl: Anyway, I'm glad your resort fixed everything and I hope the rest of the trip was stellar!
I was totally the same kind of teenager. A couple teens act like jerks and it makes all teenagers look bad, I hated that. I still get the anticipation of teenage bad behaviour backlash. There's a store near my house that literally had a sign on the door that said "only two teenagers at a time." Seriously, that's just not right. Oops, sorry, for that little tangent. OKW did a good job fixing it all up, so I'm just glad for that!

The plumber & hair clog was hilarious... I"m sure it wasn't when it happened, but looking back, it's pretty funny because it's so random/sudden/unsightly/etc... :lmao:

I've gotta say that after what I've read so far, I wouldn't want to go anywhere near this DVC rental... I'm extremely passive aggressive when it comes to noise. :snooty: It's probably my biggest vice.

It's exciting reading your TR though. Keep it coming!
I think we were still so dazzled by everything that the plumber thing only seemed like a mild annoyance. Like, do we seriously have to wait for this guy to be done, I've got a Disney park to get to! In retrospect, I'm thinking that was probably another disaster waiting to happen.

I agree with the sound thing. Even though OKW was perfectly fine after that first night, the mere potential that it could happen again will probably keep me from ever going back there. The risk is just too high. And other people's sound just makes me so irrationally angry. It was like I was back in a dorm room again, and I was calling security at 1:00am to get my dorm mates to shut up because I've got class in the morning. I just hate, hate, hate it.

Day Two: It's my birthday and we're going to Magic Kingdom!

Despite the long night, we did eventually get to sleep. Luckily. I had booked an 8:10am breakfast reservation for Crystal Palace. I read online that they serve chocolate Mickey-head waffles at Crystal Palace. CHOCOLATE!? So, that was the first ADR I made for the trip.

As we walked down Main Street, and the crowds seemed pretty light, DF said that he had never seen the park so empty. This seemed pretty surprising considering it was Spring Break. I turned to him and casually remarked, we may yet see it emptier when we do our MK shoot. (Eeee!) It was a gorgeous day, warm with a cool breeze, clear skies and sunny! Perfect!

PSTR-052_zps3ad31716.jpg

We headed into Crystal Palace after a quick check-in and everyone wished me a Happy Birthday. It really is a special feeling to have people wishing you well during your celebrations at Disney, it's wonderful. Our server was fabulous, she went through a very in depth description of the buffet, and it's many areas, and all the good stuff. I was surprised to see that the restaurant was practically empty. I had read online it was difficult to get those first reservations for the day, but there was hardly anyone in there at all.

Anyway, when we finally made it up to buffet I was disappointed to find there were no chocolate Mickey-head waffles. Sigh. But everything else still tasted great. But the chocolate Mickey waffles, are these only occasionally available? After a little bit our server returned with a card signed by Pooh and friends, a cupcake and a nice early morning rendition of Happy Birthday!

PSTR-039_zpsa51678d6.jpg

When Tigger stopped by he was particularly Tigger-ish! He gave a big birthday hug (a really, really, really long hug).

PSTR-040_zpsb23e4fed.jpg

Then he posed for another classic Tigger photo!

PSTR-041_zpsdba79651.jpg

Oh Tigger, that kidder!

As we headed out of Crystal Palace on our way to check out New Fantasyland, I let out a squeal of delight because Peter Pan was taking photos on the bridge to Adventureland. :lovestruc I've never seen Peter Pan out, so I dragged DF into line. He was surprised I'd been able to see him from so far away. Peter Pan was very disappointed that I was celebrating my birthday, because I shouldn't be growing up... He was a very good Pan!

PSTR-042_zpsa55230b7.jpg

Right at the moment we went to get some fastpasses for the new Little Mermaid ride. And this is when I discovered that the paper tickets demagnetize a lot more easily than the room key/plastic tickets. There's a magnet that holds a compartment on my bag closed and that is where I've always kept our tickets during our previous trips without issue. So, it took a little while for us to figure out that every time I put my AP in there it would stop working. Eventually we got that sorted. Anyway a CM helped us get a fastpass with one of those one day fastpass-only replacement card things. (That immediately demagnetized in my bag too.) The more I write this TR, the more I realize how many silly little hiccups we experienced.

New Fantasyland seamlessly blends into Old Fantasyland. I can't get over how great New Fantasyland is. The theming is as imaginative and thorough as you'd expect, from top...

PSTR-043_zps7b10eae4.jpg

...to bottom.

PSTR-044_zps3c34006a.jpg

Maximus wz hre

In Beauty and the Beast land, Gaston has turned into a kind of folk hero, and he gets a lot of real estate, including a statue, a plaque and very own food establishment. Upon meeting, he immediately checked himself out in my sunglasses (and I had a flashback to my trip to DL Paris, where British Gaston also walked up to me and did the very same).

PSTR-046_zps23caa896.jpg

Also tall. Taaaaalllllll.

FPs in tow, we headed over to Ariel's Undersea Adventure. I think Eric's castle is positively spectacular! Even though it hasn't seemed to have as much coverage as the Beast's castle, I think I may love it more! On the ride we were conveniently stopped in front of the grand wedding scene! Afterwards, we headed over to meet Ariel in person. She loved my collection of knickknacks and whats-its (a.k.a. my three engagement rings :rotfl:).

PSTR-047_zps09bd017d.jpg

Next, we decided to wait for in line for Belle's Storytime Theatre. I had an idea of what this experience was going to be, but it's basically the most elaborate character meeting you'll ever go through. The queue is full of amazing theming, and the pre-show involving the workshop and Wardrobe is thoroughly excellent. The main attraction is a retelling of Beauty & the Beast with Belle herself, aided by the young 'uns in the audience. It's really a chance for kids to meet Belle, and a chance for us to watch other people's kids meet Belle. At least Belle wished me a happy birthday... from a distance. Still, if you've got kids, it's a must-do. I can totally picture DF's young niece at this attraction in July, and his brother, SIL and his parents all having a thoroughly magical experience!

By now it was probably lunch time and as we headed back into Old Fantasyland the park seemed to have exploded with people. There was a very long queue for Small World, which spilled out into roped switchbacks outside of the ride. (I've not seen a queue that long since the first time I went to WDW in 1992.) I later had the thought that probably there were a lot of people staying up way late and unable to get themselves out of bed and over to the parks before noon. Bonus for us!

We decided to give up on rides for the day (our demagnetized cards and FPs had already ruled out that option for us until we made it to City Hall to get them switched). So we wandered slowly over to Adventureland for a Dole Whip and Citrus Swirl break. While we were in line a passing CM broke out into a very rousing rendition of Happy Birthday and I broke out into a huge blush, as I tend to do.

After we were all set up at the MK City Hall, and our cards replaced, we spotted our second-favourite little white kitten! Marie has been moved from France Pavilion to Town Square, opposite Pluto, for a dog-and-cat one-two punch of cuteness.

PSTR-048_zps1ecbe919.jpg

And that was it for MK. Not a lot of rides! But we had an ADR at Sci-fi Dine-in Theatre, and a bit of sleep to catch up on. After a bit of a nap, off we went on the bus to Hollywood! Swimming pools! Movie stars! No fastpasses! Forget the early morning emptiness of MK. Our first peek of peak season was a sign that said there were no more Tower of Terror fastpasses to be had for the day, and 90-minute wait for stand-by. There was nothing to be done but shop.

Check out my designer fascinator with coral-and-dinglehopper detail. Tres chic!

PSTR-049_zps273e5797.jpg

Also Chip! I've never seen this one before!

DF and I have been struggling with guestbook ideas for our Disney reception. A stroll through the Magic of Disney Animation revealed two things: Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope von Schweetz available for photos (but not at that time, 6:00pm was quittin' time and it was already 6:03), and a great idea for our guestbook. The Art of Disney store at DHS is the best for hand-painted cels. The artists make them there, and they pretty much only sell them there. We decided on Gala Premiere, because it fits our theme, and Minnie and Mickey look great. We're planning to get a large-ish matte and have our guests sign it. (For some reason I didn't think to take a photo of it while we were in the store, so I'll take a picture of ours and post it after the TR.)

One of the first great Disney dining experiences we had on our first trip was at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre. It's just an immersive, fun, one-of-a-kind dining experience. I don't know that we can ever recapture the first meal we had, but this one was still very likeable.

PSTR-050_zps87a23515.jpg

Our waitress was very friendly, bringing refills without being asked and very eager to help us get a cute photo!

PSTR-051_zpsb3c60d3d.jpg

No food pics this time, because they just look like big black blobs in the dim theatre lighting! I had the fried pickles and the picnic burger, which were both pretty good; the burger had a nice charbroiled flavour. But I don't know why I only managed about two bites of each before I was totally full and sick of the sight of food.

DF had onion rings and the ribs. The onion rings were good (correct me if I'm wrong, but onions rings are rarely anything worse than good), but the ribs were dry. His coleslaw was good, I ate a bit of it once the fried stuff was feeling too heavy in my stomach. Anyway we packed up my burger and decided to head out. DF was disappointed (on my behalf) that I was too full to order any celebratory birthday cake, but I knew we'd being having quite a lot of cake the next day...

At our Planning Session!

I agree with the sound thing. Even though OKW was perfectly fine after that first night, the mere potential that it could happen again will probably keep me from ever going back there. The risk is just too high. And other people's sound just makes me so irrationally angry. It was like I was back in a dorm room again, and I was calling security at 1:00am to get my dorm mates to shut up because I've got class in the morning. I just hate, hate, hate it.

My dorm wouldn't do anything to deal with noise issues. I hated living there and moved out as soon as I could. My first roommate was also awful -- we're talking sitcom-quality awful. One night she even had sex w/ some random guy in the bunk bed beneath me. :scared1: (I practically leapt out of my bunk when I realized what was happening, and then they stopped and got all embarrassed.)

Thanks for the demagnetizing tip! I didn't even think of that being an issue with the paper tickets. Someone else on DISboards said their KTTW card kept getting demagnetized.. :confused3 Josh's site lately points out that folks w/o rfid tickets have a longer holder up and just a couple turnstiles open while everyone else breezes through... But Disney's My Disney Experience TOS shows that if you switch to the rfid card/ticket, you can no longer use the normal Fastpass... It seems like a big mess to me, and I'm frustrated that we'll be going to WDW during this turnover between FP and FP+ and Magic+ or whatever. We're not dropping thousands of dollars to be some guinea pigs while they try out a new system... Sigh.

Gaston was SOOOO TALL! And I know the Sci Fi pic is hard to see, but you guys look sooo cute!

I'm surprised to hear that MK was that empty when you first got there. I've almost never heard of that happening before, especially at the time you went. That little cat you carry around with you is uber-adorable!

We got our wedding bands and I am totally psyched. This is pretty nerdy, so be forewarned.

rings-sm2_zps4e0e5185.jpg

We ordered the rings from Jens Hansen in New Zealand, which is the same jeweller that made all of the rings for the Lord of the Rings movies (the many "One Ring"s and a few others). And to go just a little bit further we both wrote messages to be engraved on each other's rings, translated into Elvish. Oh yes. The inside of both are engraved with our wedding date. They're silver bands (so they're not totally 100% One Ring replicas), because I have a gold allergy. And we saved a bit of money by going with the silver, so that's not too shabby. ;)

rings-sm1_zpsdb08c86d.jpg

DF's ring is a little too big, so it's going to be a little tricky to have it resized with the engravings. And mine fits perfectly so that means in the July heat it probably won't go on my finger. Do you think DFTW can have a bucket of ice and make it surreptitiously appear just in time for a quick hand freeze before the ring exchange. :confused3 :lmao:

OMG! I just caught up and love everything about your wedding plans so far! The invitations are pure genius! And as a fellow costumer, I love the costume stuff you have put up. But these rings rule them all! Can't wait to see how your wedding turns out!!

Loving the TR! Sucks about the noisy neighbors, but at least the resort was able to remedy the situation. Hopefully the rest of your stay was better and you had an eventful planning session! Can't wait to read more.

My dorm wouldn't do anything to deal with noise issues. I hated living there and moved out as soon as I could. My first roommate was also awful -- we're talking sitcom-quality awful. One night she even had sex w/ some random guy in the bunk bed beneath me. :scared1: (I practically leapt out of my bunk when I realized what was happening, and then they stopped and got all embarrassed.)

Thanks for the demagnetizing tip! I didn't even think of that being an issue with the paper tickets. Someone else on DISboards said their KTTW card kept getting demagnetized.. :confused3 Josh's site lately points out that folks w/o rfid tickets have a longer holder up and just a couple turnstiles open while everyone else breezes through... But Disney's My Disney Experience TOS shows that if you switch to the rfid card/ticket, you can no longer use the normal Fastpass... It seems like a big mess to me, and I'm frustrated that we'll be going to WDW during this turnover between FP and FP+ and Magic+ or whatever. We're not dropping thousands of dollars to be some guinea pigs while they try out a new system... Sigh.

Gaston was SOOOO TALL! And I know the Sci Fi pic is hard to see, but you guys look sooo cute!
OMG! :crazy2: I was lucky to never have to share a dorm room with anyone. But perhaps I'm only now starting to realize just how lucky...

The demagnetizing thing was pretty annoying and something I never even considered when all our cards started malfunctioning. Keep the magnets separate for sure! That being said, Guest Services took care of the problem quickly and there were no issues. But better to avoid it if you can!

I never even considered how the RFID and FP systems might clash. No wonder there seemed to be more CMs on hand at the FP stations -- and they all looked at lot busier than usual!

I'm surprised to hear that MK was that empty when you first got there. I've almost never heard of that happening before, especially at the time you went. That little cat you carry around with you is uber-adorable!
It seems like MK being that empty was a total fluke! :confused3 It certainly didn't stay too empty for long. And thank you, our cat is a much loved travel companion! :goodvibes :rotfl:

OMG! I just caught up and love everything about your wedding plans so far! The invitations are pure genius! And as a fellow costumer, I love the costume stuff you have put up. But these rings rule them all! Can't wait to see how your wedding turns out!!
Thank you, thank you! :cloud9: I absolutely love that "these rings rule them all"!!!

Loving the TR! Sucks about the noisy neighbors, but at least the resort was able to remedy the situation. Hopefully the rest of your stay was better and you had an eventful planning session! Can't wait to read more.
Thank you! The noisy neighbours was a bit of a downer, but it mean the trip could only get better from then on!

Day Three - Part One: Let's Plan this Wedding!

Our day started off bright and early again the next day as we prepared to head out for our planning session. Well, it started off early... The weather was grey and rainy that morning, which means we are 2 for 2 experiencing rainy mornings while doing wedding related things at Disney. (And that also means I am already thinking what are the odds of it being 3 for 3?! Please don't rain on the morning of my wedding day!) While I prepared my binder and bag for getting down to business, DF heated up my leftover picnic burger thus helping to prove our theory that all restaurant burgers taste even better reheated up in the microwave the next day. Yay DVC microwave and Disney breakfast burgers!

We took the bus to MK then switched to the monorail, same procedure as when we headed to Francks for our site visit. We even wore the same ponchos we bought at the GF during our last visit, for our walk over to Francks. It was like deju vu, except we weren't being pelted by rain to the point of blindness. (No rain on my wedding day morning pleeeease!)

When we arrived we quickly shed our ponchos and took some new outside Franck's photos.

PSTR-053_zpsca637127.jpg

PSTR-054_zps18042b9d.jpg

I think the biggest change from our last visit seven months ago is my hair. Or wait? Is that a new mat?

Site%20Visit%20Trip%20-%20061_zpsd4c26f34.jpg

AUGUST 2012

PSTR-055_zpse1991e1e.jpg

MARCH 2013

PSTR-056_zps472ebd36.jpg

While we were taking photos I could see Franck's receptionist through the sheer door coverings. I wonder how many times she watches couples take the same photo over and over again. And then when we go in she has to smile and pretend like she hasn't seen us standing just outside for the past five minutes.

Inside she directed us to the back center of the Studio to look at the albums while we waited for our planner to arrive. And I snapped a few more photos, but last time I had felt entirely too shy and self-conscious to document the moment.

PSTR-057_zps93f7948c.jpg

PSTR-059_zps6eb5e246.jpg

PSTR-058_zpsdc834fa8.jpg

PSTR-060_zps8a566b14.jpg

And then our planner arrived. Or actually, she didn't arrive. Our stand-in planner arrived to announce she would be taking care of our PS because our planner was called out of town with an unexpected emergency. I would say this is the only negative of our experience. But what can you do? An emergency is an emergency, and we won't fault her for it or hold it against her in any way. If we hadn't been able to manage a trip to Disney for our PS we wouldn't have met our planner until our wedding day anyway. My only concern would be if things are lost in translation between our planner and our stand-in. But we shall wait and see when we receive our BEO. I'm sure it will all be fine though!

Our stand-in planner (from now on simply to be referred to as "our planner") welcomed and congratulated us and then led us over to the Merriweather room. I didn't get a photo of the little placard outside the room, but I spotted this halfway through the meeting:

PSTR-064_zpsde504a9e.jpg

The little theming details extend even to the weddings department! Cute!

PSTR-063_zps9e0ff4a4.jpg

Let's get down to business!

Once we were seated and settled in, we launched into the details following along with the planning kit we'd filled in and sent back. I think if I were to have a do over I might have considered printing out that planning kit form and bringing it along to organize my notes. As it was, our planner gave us each a paper with all the important dates and deadlines and I used my copy to take a couple notes.

First we covered our rehearsal. We've requested doing the rehearsal on Saturday morning at Morocco (two days before the wedding). We won't know until 30 days out if we will get that location. If it's not available for whatever reason, we are going to be doing it at SBP. We'll all be at Boardwalk and it's an outdoor location, so that wouldn't be too bad. But I'm still holding out for Morocco, mostly to plan out where everyone will be standing and which way around the fountain our aisle will go.

We are not booking a private rehearsal dinner/meal through DFTW so we breezed through that. I've made a reservation for our group of 10 at Be Our Guest that night. I made the reservation for pretty early (5:45pm) so hopefully if they can't accommodate a 10-person table we'll at least all be seated near each other. (Although I'll admit I am not looking forward to dividing the group up if we're at separate tables.)

Next up, transportation. We are doing limos for the bridal party and a motorcoach charter for the guests. Originally I wanted a Rolls or other similarly vintage 1940s car to fit the theme, but I decided I could live without it. So we didn't bother to ask if it could even drop us off at Morocco, I'm going to pretend the answer is it definitely can't. The charter price is obviously the one thing I'd like to reduce if I can. So far guests are only staying at two of our three resorts, and even though only one family of four are staying at Caribbean Beach (the rest are all at Boardwalk). If that changes and a bunch of people decide to stay at CBR in the upcoming months, we'll suck it up and do the charter. If not, I may pursue other options.

Then we talked for a long while about photography. Since it is a completely in-park wedding we are using Disney photography and videography. And because of that we already have dates booked for our MK and DHS photoshoots. Yay! The pricing is still a little up in the air, because we don't want any prints or albums (I want to make my own). So the planner said they would price out how much we could get back for all that and apply towards the park shoots and hi-res disc.

The ceremony was pretty straight forward. We aren't doing any special ceremonies and we're using the CD/Ipod set-up for the music. And that about covered it.

Reception time. Monsieur Paul receptions are basically like going to the restaurant, except you have to order your entrees ahead of time. They sent us a copy of their wedding entree options (I'm pretty sure most are directly from the everyday menu) and once we find out our exact numbers we'll get all our guests to choose which entree they want. I'm glad we have a smaller guest list, it would be awful to have to track done 100+ entree orders, I think 40 will be difficult enough. We still need to work out some kind of pre-reception menu.

She gave us a seating chart with the table layouts, which I was sooo happy about. I've already made some progress. It's a little awkward to make it work out perfectly because if we're centered at a sweetheart table (which I've requested), the room is divided perfectly in half. But our sides aren't equal. If even one more family RSVPs yes from DF's side (all my guests are settled except for one single) then they'll have to be stranded near my family. Hahaha! That's such a weird thing. Weddings bring families together but only while they're comfortably on their own sides.

We also requested a signature drink. But since we didn't have any favourite drinks, we just gave our planner a few options of things we like and she said they would get back to me on what they could come up with. DF said sake or soju and I said pink and watermelon. I've had a really great watermelon soju cocktail before, I will be so happy if they could make that happen! And we're doing BOC since we need to have the option, but most of our guests won't have more than one drink if any. We chose wines directly from the Monsieur Paul menu, and a pretty expensive champagne option too, we have a $5000 food & bev. minimum to fill after all and probably only 40 guests max. attending.

Next characters! We are having Mickey and Minnie. I requested Mickey in a black tux and Minnie in her white formal dress. We also made another character request, which our planner seems to think will be a-okay, but I'm waiting to hear back for sure first! I'm trying to keep the characters a surprise from our guests, but I've let Mickey and Minnie slip to my MOHs and our parents. Hopefully they don't spread the news around too much!

And then it was the moment I was waiting for... CAKE! (BREAKFAST CAKE!)

PSTR-061_zps26ba0294.jpg

PSTR-062_zps3637efb6.jpg

It was as glorious as I expected it to be. That red velvet cake is the best was so deliciously, gorgeously, fantastic.

Here's what we decided on:

Bottom tier: Chocolate cake with Dark chocolate mousse

Middle tier: White cake with raspberry mousse

Top tier Red velvet with peanut butter cup mousse.

One of my MOHs does not like peanut butter. (What?!) So our amazing red velvet and peanut butter cup will make the most glorious post-wedding breakfasts ever! And there will be more for us that way too.

I am sooo excited for this cake. So excited that I continued to randomly shout out "Cake!" throughout the rest of our trip and still even now every other day or so.

After cake our floral planner arrived to discuss decor. DF was excused so that I could talk about my dress, and we jumped straight into bouquets. I gave my dream bouquet wishlist. Apparently two of the kinds of flowers I want are premium and have to be ordered by the box rather than by the stem - garden roses and lily of the valley. So we'll what that really means once we get our proposal. Our planner offered right of the bat to do a proposal for the bouquet with garden roses and one with just regular roses. Nothing freaked me out during the whole PS more than that offer. My heart rate is already increasing just as I recall it. Anyway, I felt like she really understood what I had in mind so I'm more excited now about the flowers than I've ever been.

Afterwards we talked decor. I had mentioned a wish for altar arrangements. She actually convinced me it wasn't necessary, since we aren't have any kind of ceremony/tradition that actually requires an altar. Bonus!

For the ceremony I requested white folding chairs, flower petals on the aisle, and chiffon on the chairs along the inside of the aisle. And more flower petals for a petal toss.

For the reception we requested white linens and some kind of shaded lamp/candle holder centerpiece. The decor in Monsieur Paul is pretty much exactly our vision so we don't need to add too much. Yay!

And then finally for the dessert party she showed us a photo of a little round bowl with marbles and LEDs, and a rose floating on top. (If I go with the box of garden roses there will be enough leftover to use in these centerpieces.) It's so cute and I wish I'd taken a photo because I can't seem to find anything like it from another dessert party online. Oh and white linens to keep the same look going from the reception.

And that was it for the floral planning. She said that was one of the quickest she'd done because we knew pretty much exactly what we wanted! Yay!

Then our wedding planner came back to discuss the dessert party. She printed out the menus for us to peruse, but in the end we made the following requests (to be made in small, cute form!).

-Bread pudding (O'hana)
-Strawberry shortcake
-French macarons
-Cake pops
-Fruit plate or fruit salad
-Ice cream

And at that point it was pretty much time to wrap up our planning session! It was a solid two hours of planning but it really seemed to breeze by!

And one last parting shot of the wedding pavilion. Someone was having a vow renewal that morning, so I took a really quick photo and then we dashed off to Magic Kingdom!

PSTR-065_zps7f21a061.jpg

It sounds like it went REALLY well, I am so excited for you!

Fingers crossed for sunshine the morning of your big day!

:laughing: at your DF, I love the picture of him with the mat. Priceless.

Wow! Sounds like everything went so smoothly! Thanks for posting in such detail! You gave me some things to think about for our planning session....and some stuff I need to get organized too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter