• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wishes Dessert Party - No more assigned seating

We had reservations for March 1 and I just cancelled yesterday. You can cancel up to 5 days before. However, when I canceled on line, I didn't see anything about my credit card being refunded. I called and when they checked, it hadn't been and a supervisor had to do the credit refund transaction. Seems like it would be best to call to cancel in the first place.
I was looking forward to the dessert party, but not after the input from those recently there. I'm glad to find out about no assigned seating and crowded tables beforehand. I would have felt very ripped off if we had gone.

For those keeping their Dessert party reservations in Feb and March, please keep posting on this thread. Also, if you are willing, complain to guest services and those working at the Dessert party about the decision to have open seating. The best thing about this party was being able to come just prior and having a "reserved" table up front. If someone in our party needs to line up 90 minutes prior to opening, it takes away a lot of the value. Can anyone find a logical reason for this change? It just seems so much worse for both those working the event and those participating.

We had reservations for March 1 and I just cancelled yesterday. You can cancel up to 5 days before. However, when I canceled on line, I didn't see anything about my credit card being refunded. I called and when they checked, it hadn't been and a supervisor had to do the credit refund transaction. Seems like it would be best to call to cancel in the first place.
I was looking forward to the dessert party, but not after the input from those recently there. I'm glad to find out about no assigned seating and crowded tables beforehand. I would have felt very ripped off if we had gone.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll call to cancel.

We've done it in the past, just for the seats but I've got too many people to walk in last minute. We'd be spread all over in bad seats. Plus if seats are up against the railings and people can't stand there the view from the overhang will be WORSE.

We have 6PM dinner at Narcoossee's. We'll just stay there or take the monorail over to watch it after the water parade for FREE.

I shot an email off to guest services.

I'm guessing the "logical" reason is they can fit more tables in, or people complained about where they were assigned.

There is no point in paying for mediocre desserts, slightly off center skewed view, with an overhang.

If they were letting people in at 6:42, what time are the fireworks? 8:00? Were there a lot of people in line already at 6:42? Our fireworks are at 10:00, and I'm wondering what time we should show up. :confused3

There were probably 30 people in line around 6:15. Fireworks were at 8.

Regan,
Forgive me for my confusion. You stated no "reserved" seating, but is it "assigned"? Meaning, are people being led to a specific table by a CM or is it a free for all where people are scampering past each other to get a good table?
FYI, we called DVC member services tonight for clarification and they stated seating is "assigned".

Sorry, no. It was not assigned. The people who got there first got the tables against the railings and everyone else got the tables in the back.

Are there still tables back under the overhang? Or have they maybe crowded all the tables forward into the more open space? I'm wondering how the people at tables toward the back can even see the fireworks.

All of the tables are more forward but they are still under the overhang. We were against the rail, but the people at the table behind us actually all pulled their chairs up directly behind us and crowded in so they could see. I understand they wanted to see, but I don't want someone basically in my lap when I am trying to drink my coffee or eat something.

Here's a photo of the tables before anyone was let in.View attachment 149170

Thanks for the great photo. It really helps to see how the tables are set up.

I wonder if enough people complain, will they go back to assigned seating? I hope people will continue to report and update on future dessert parties. We are not going until July so I will be curious to see if it changes back by then. I am going to hold onto my reservation and see what others have to say later this spring.

I really appreciate the information so that we will be able to make an informed decision about going or not.

My BIL and niece went on Sunday. I'm not sure how early they got in line but they did get a table at the railing so they were happy. But I can see how this can cause problems. I think the seating should be further back, away from the railing. Then everyone can sit and enjoy their desserts and drinks and when the fireworks start, people can move to the railing. Keeping the tables by the railing and having assigned seating is even more of an issue, I think. If everyone pays the same price and by luck of the draw you get sat at the back under the overhang that's a problem.

My BIL and niece went on Sunday. I'm not sure how early they got in line but they did get a table at the railing so they were happy. But I can see how this can cause problems. I think the seating should be further back, away from the railing. Then everyone can sit and enjoy their desserts and drinks and when the fireworks start, people can move to the railing. Keeping the tables by the railing and having assigned seating is even more of an issue, I think. If everyone pays the same price and by luck of the draw you get sat at the back under the overhang that's a problem.

In the past it was not luck of the draw, it was based on when you made the reservation. The earlier you made the reservation the closer your table was to the front. The later you were to making your reservation the further you sat. This is true of just about any performance or show whether at WDW or outside of the World. Sure there are some general admission shows and etc, but I personally thought it was more than fair if someone booked 6 months in advance was seated closer than someone who booked 3 months in advance. Perhaps I'm a bit sour to this event when Disney jacked up the prices double last year, but this would certainly seal the deal for me to not even think about paying $59 (including tax) to stand in a line 60-90 minutes or longer to get a closer table. But hey, that's just me. :goodvibes

I'm going with fastpass. Doesn't cost anything, I can buy my own refreshments, no pushy crowds, no overhang. Of course you have to give up getting a fastpass for something else.

So in the picture above, I see a nice table for 5 right at the rail. If this table is open, am I allowed to sit there with my party of 4?

In the past it was not luck of the draw, it was based on when you made the reservation.

Ahhh. I see. Was that made clear when you made a reservation or is it a general knowledge kinda thing? What I mean is, do you know when you are making your reservation about where you'll be assigned?

So after you wait in line to get your reserved seats--when they start letting you in are you able to hold/reserve your seats while you get food? If just me & my SO go will one of us always have to guard our seats while the other gets food?

Also when the fireworks start do people remain in the seats they picked or do they stand up & push forward to the rail to watch regardless of where they were seated?

How good are the desserts/food? Is the amount limited or do they keep bringing it out? The pictures look good, but not sure the cost justifies the whole experience?

Ahhh. I see. Was that made clear when you made a reservation or is it a general knowledge kinda thing? What I mean is, do you know when you are making your reservation about where you'll be assigned?

No, because you don't know where in the reservation list you are. It's just something people out together as happening over the years.m

So in the picture above, I see a nice table for 5 right at the rail. If this table is open, am I allowed to sit there with my party of 4?

Yep that was the problem. Large parties for stuck at small tables and small parties at large ones if they were closer to the railing. It was overall a nice night but very unorganized and I don't think I'd do it again.

So after you wait in line to get your reserved seats--when they start letting you in are you able to hold/reserve your seats while you get food? If just me & my SO go will one of us always have to guard our seats while the other gets food?

Also when the fireworks start do people remain in the seats they picked or do they stand up & push forward to the rail to watch regardless of where they were seated?

How good are the desserts/food? Is the amount limited or do they keep bringing it out? The pictures look good, but not sure the cost justifies the whole experience?

Once you get your table it's yours. Then you go get your desserts. Everyone remained at their tables and were NOT able to go near the railing unless they were seated there.

The desserts were good but no better than anything you can get in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter