Wish vs Dream on upcoming trip?

RaymOOOnd

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We are looking at booking a trip in the Fall of 2023, my wife and I with one 4-year-old and two 1-year-olds. We live in NJ.
We're first-time Disney cruisers and are hoping on booking the Halloween Bermuda itinerary.

The decision is between: easy 2-hour drive to NY port and easy drive back to cruise on the Dream, VERSUS making our way to Florida via either a long drive in our van vs a flight with lap babies and a 4-year-old to cruise on the Wish.
This constitutes a whole lot of logistical difficulty and expense to allow us to go on the Wish.

We'd have been awfully excited about the Dream until I've recently watched some tour videos on YouTube and honestly have found the Wish to look like an absolute night-and-day difference in niceness / detail / decor / room theming etc. So if we're spending ~5k on a cruise it could be worth it to travel for the experience we really want. That said, all I can really say about that experience is what I've seen in reviews and on YouTube. On the other hand the inconvenience when we could just hop instead on a nice-enough boat in NY might be crazy.

Anyone feel like I'm overhyping the benefits of the Wish? Anyone traveled on both?

Thanks!

We just got off the Wish Friday. We have been on the Dream 4 times. We all liked the Wish but agreed we liked the other ships better. My kids prefer the Dream. I still love the Wonder. I definitely would not go out of my way for the Wish. I would only go on it again if it was going to a port I really wanted to visit.
We have done the Halloween cruise. It’s a blast!

Have been on the Dream 4 times, Wish now once. The Dream feels like a ship to us...the Wish felt like a Disney resort. It almost feels like they dont want you to feel like you are out on the Ocean...not saying that is good or bad, just how we felt. We are going to be going on the Dream for our next sailing for 5 nights in a GTY room and it is $1100 less for the 2 of us than the cheapest verandah on the Wish for 4 nights. We liked the Wish, our kids had a really good time (even though more than a few of the big ticket items in the Oceaneers club weren't working) but the Mrs and I love the Dream.

I have not traveled on the Wish yet but I'm chuckling as I have almost the opposite dilemma.

I want to sail on the Dream my February vacation week. It sails on Saturday, giving me not even a full day to get to Miami after work Friday (cant rely on flights being on time in Feb plus the price is insane that week, we will probably drive). The Wish fits my schedule much better, we could leave after work Friday, spend a couple days with DS who lives in FL, then cruise Mon. But there is a lot I have seen on the Wish that I don't like. I want to go back on the Dream (or Fantasy for that matter but that's also Saturday), but they just aren't working out. So, I'm considering trying a ship I feel I will be disappointed in because it's more convenient.

Obviously my opinion for you is take the easy route and go on the Dream as that would be my ideal option. But I do understand how you feel that my not be as enjoyable for you. It's a hard choice. Good luck, and know you are not alone. ;)

Three small kids and hoping you don’t get delayed or cancelled. Then flying.

And you have never cruised?

Sounds like you told us the answer the way you spelled it out. Dream.

The Wish is going to be around for decades. If you like cruising, save for cruise #2 (and those 2 extra kid seats - unless you sail again before their birthday - I’m not kidding - you might love it that much).

When Ship #6 comes out in the next 2 years, that would be a great time to go on the Wish.

You may want to consider putting down deposits for a future cruise (Placeholder Reservation) while onboard. You will get 10% off your cruise fare when you book a cruise that starts in the following 24 months. Only can be done while onboard. You don’t have to pick the cruise at that time (actually can’t - you contact DCL or a TA to book).

One question - do you have an idea what to do/see with children in Bermuda? Or is itinerary more about being on the ship? (I have been there as an adults‘ trip; maybe the Crystal Cave.). We used the bus or taxi vans. Car rental wasn’t permitted for tourists.

If you're just blown away by the Wish, it might be worth the extra cost and logistics over the Dream. But I'll say the Dream is a fantastic ship, far beyond nice-enough, IMO. If you feel like you'll enjoy the DCL product overall, I'm confident you would love the Dream. Decor and niceness are subjective, but the Dream has great spaces, great shows, plenty of fun stuff to do.

Different from the Wish for sure, so if you'd spend the cruise thinking what could have been on the WIsh, could be worth the extra hassle and money to go that way. I'll say this, all the Disney ships have amazing kid spaces and youth services CMs, so you can't go wrong there no matter what.

Personally I would have be confident I would love Wish much, MUCH better to go all the way to Florida with 3 young kids vs driving 2 hours to port

Disclaimer, have not sailed on Wish (trying her out next month) But have been on the other 4 multiple times. Whatever you choose I hope you have a great cruise!

Currently living about 2 hours from Port Canaveral and previously lived in NY and sailed DCL - to me tske the drive to NYC and get on the Dream. It is logistically so much easier and less stress and that will make it easier to relax on vacation and not have so much to worry about.

Keep it simple for trip #1! The Dream is a great ship! Only sad that it is now 6 hours away from my house (Miami) instead of 2!

I would always choose the drive over dealing with flying with small kids. When we lived in NYC, we had two Bermuda cruises booked on the Magic in 2020 and 2021, of course neither happened. I think Bermuda is a more interesting destination than Nassau/Castaway as well. We were looking forward to visiting the caverns and the nature reserve, and their horseshoe bay beach is also quite famously wonderful.

I'll add another vote for the Dream.

Driving vs Flying to a cruise the Driving will always win for me as flying is dependent on the airline's schedule and Driving allows far more flexibility.

I personally have been recommending to friends to try one of the original 4 before the Wish to get the "Full DCL experience" if they have never cruised on DCL before.

I vote for the Dream, simply due to the ease of travelling. It is a wonderful ship, and the Beauty and the Beast show is amazing.

Been on all the Disney ships multiple times. While I didn’t dislike the Wish, I have no desire to sail it again. Dream/Fantasy would win for me easily (Fantasy is my favorite because I like longer sailings)! As a first timer you will love either one but personally I feel like save yourself the hassle and go with Dream!

Unless you are a very experienced Disney cruisers who has done the dream / fantasy many times there is really no reason to pay the price premium for the wish right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter