• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wish Trippers...Unite!! Volume One

We wore Nurse Michelle out but she did a wonderful job for us.

Tues we again arrived at the parks around 10am. This time it was MGM. The handicapped parking is very close to the entrance. If I didn't mention it before, remember there are 2 lines before you even get to the gate. One for those without packages, one for those with. Of course we had a lot of stuff so we were searched each time. The security people were friendly and efficient. After entering MGM we strolled toward Tower of Terror. I opted to stay with Alize while Michelle and Charlie rode. Alize and I walked around, got to meet a few characters and saw Extreme Makeover setting up to film the family they were fixing a house for. After that all 4 of us got on The Great Movie Ride which is also wheelchair accessible. We lucked out and were each given free mouse ears along with everyone else who got on at that time. We managed to hit Muppets 3-D and Star Tours. Lunch was at Mama Leones and was great. I found everyone to be very relaxed about Alize's tube feeds. He ate whenever he was supposed to and no one seemed put out. We also suctioned him when he needed it with the exception that I will not suction him around people who are eating. That is just rude. During meals we would take him to the bathroom.

After lunch (about 2p) we took the boat over to Epcot then realized that we wouldn't be able to get back to the car when Epcot closed since the buses don't run to MGM that late. Charlie grabbed a bus and got the car while we checked the place out a little. Again first aid was great and allowed us to get Alize out of his chair for some down time. When Charlie returned, he and Michelle went to Mission Mars (I didn't warn them and they got on the more intense version :rolleyes1 ), Alize and I went to Ellen's adventure which is wheelchair accessible. We then all met up at Morocco for dinner and got tickets for the Candlelight Processional. Needing a quiet place first, we stopped at the American Pavilion to see if they knew somewhere we could veg out. They kindly offered us one of their offices for as long as we needed. Fantastic people. We got in line for the processional and that was probably the longest wait we had all week. I thought that the accessible seating was in the rear but found there is some right near the front and that's where we sat. Unfortunately the orchestra was too loud for Alize and he was getting overstimulated so Charlie took him back to the American Pavillion. He settled immediately. This made me concerned about Illuminations but we decided to try it. We found the wheelchair area that was near Germany and had a great view. Alize surprizingly enjoyed it totally. After that we very slowly headed toward the exit in order to let the crowds disperse. A very tired crew headed "home". Two parks in one day is for the brave only. As you may have noted, we didn't do a lot of attractions. Alize's enjoyment continues to be music, hearing crowds and touching things so that's what we did.
An addition to our day at Magic Kingdom: we did do Winnie the Pooh which was fun. They are wheelchair accessible but the wheelchair pot does not bounce when Tigger does.

Oh, Karen! How great that you had such a fun trip and mostly things worked out for your family. THANK YOU for sharing it with us!

Karen, I love reading about your trip!!! :love: Can't wait for more. I am trying to get another update done for mine. My goal is to have the TR done before Christmas!!

Is it me, or does it really not feel like Christmas yet for anyone else??? :confused: I can't believe it is less than two weeks away. We have the tree up, house is decorated, almost done shopping, but for some reason it just seems off this year. Oh well.

We head to Iowa City tomorrow for a check-up. Hopefully the roads are ok after the ice storm that passed through. We just got snow, but south of us got all the lovely ice. :sad2:

Wednesday we hit Sea World. Getting there was easy and the parking was as good as that at Disney. The crowds were definitely smaller. On arrival we posed with a few characters using their version of Photo Pass. We saw one show after we arrived which involved all rescue pets from the humane society. There were dogs, cats, rats, birds and a pig. Alize got to sit up front.
We considered other shows but just didn't feel like it that day. At Dolphin Cove Alize was given free food for the stingrays and for the dolphins. By laying him on the cement barrier (with permission) he was able to touch both animals. The dolphins were amazing. Laugh if you will but I swear one of them realized that Alize was different. Even without being fed, this dolphin stayed there looking at Alize and allowing Alize to touch him. Next we had a drawing of Alize done. They took a snapshot so Alize didn't need to pose and the artist did a wonderful job. They saw the GKTW button and gave us a 30% discount on drawing, matte and frame. This was my favorite souvenier of the week. This was the only place we found that did regular drawings instead of characatures. We then walked over to the other side of the park where they had a seasonal attraction called the "Polar Express". They had polar bears, walruses, beluga whales on display as well as Santa at the North Pole. You could arrive either by walking or simulator. The lines were quite long. This was one time we took deliberate advantage of the GKTW button and asked if there was another entrance. We got in the VIP entry which had no line at all. It was a beautiful setup. Santa was so-so. Finally we ended up the day at "Dining with Shamu". This is a meal you need reservations for where you sit by the side of the tank and get to watch the killer whales swim and practice while the trainers talk. The food is buffet style and quite good. This was the only time we ran into a rude person. We were in line for entry when a woman in an ECV arrived and barrelled to the front of the line. She had several people with her and apparently had had one person "hold" their place in line. She rammed in front of a long line including several ECVs, Alize in his chair and a woman with MS and her service dog. Yeah, that bummed me out (sorry but my language reflects my age). After the dinner we headed "home" where we spent the evening just relaxing in our villa.

I am loving your trip report!! Thanks for sharing with us!
We loved Sea World too! Dinner with Shamu was one of the main highlights of our trip.

I love seaworld too! Thanks again for sharing - can't wait - we have 4 days to go until we get on that plane!!!!!!:cool1:

Iluvmickeymouse! - I hope to read more soon - enjoy reading your report!

If it's Thursday, it must be Animal Kingdom. Before we even got into the park we saw several characters with lines. Alize and I headed for Timon. The CMs told me we could go to the front, but the line was short so we just waited. When we were done the CM directed us to a small bench and told us to wait. Within a few minutes all of the characters took a break and came to see us. We got to meet Chip and Dale, Timon again, Flik and Brother Bear. What a great start. As soon as we entered we headed directly for Camp Minnie-Mickey and Festival of the Lion King. It is my favorite show in all of the parks and Alize really enjoyed it. Again, we were early and got front row seating.
Afterwards I asked and got to take pictures of Alize with the Simba and Pumbaa floats (Pumbaa is my hero). We then headed to the Rainforest Cafe for lunch. It is such a fun place to be and the food is good. After lunch we headed for the Kilamenjaro Safari. The GKTW button let us in the fast pass entrance and then we branced into the handicapped entrance. The wait was fairly short but they can only put 1 wheelchair in the accessible vehicle at a time. We decided to park and hold Alize so we got right on. The animals are great and it was cool enough that most of them were out. After that we headed to First Aid for feeding and diaper change. We then gradually worked our way around the park doing the nature walks where the wheelchair was no problem. We ended up at Dinosaur which Nurse Michelle and I rode (definitely too rough for Alize). Then we got Alize on the Triceritops ride which has a wheelchair car. They even let us stay on for two turns. Alize cooed and smiled. When we finished it was parade time but we decided to take advantage of people being at the parade and went to It's Tough to be a Bug.
Didn't thrill Alize much. Since we didn't want to miss the GKTW Christmas party. On the way home I gave in to cravings and stopped at McDonalds for supper (just couldn't wait for turkey and dressing at GKTW). I'm going to concentrate on GKTW tomorrow so I'll go in more depth then. Karen
We did do photopass and just checked out our pictures on line after getting home.

Friday was our take it easy, flexible day. After getting up Charlie and I went to Downtown Disney to shop for a couple hours. The rest of the day we stayed at GKTW and just enjoyed the place. We did pack up the van for the return trip home but that was the only "work" we did. Having an easy day was great.
Now, GKTW. I have no intention of giving too much detail since I don't want to spoil it for anyone but it is a wonderful place. You can't starve. They have sit down breakfast and dinner if you want. They will also deliver a cold continental breakfast in the morning and pizza in the evening. For lunch you can get hot dogs, salads and sandwiches at the ice cream parlour. The ice cream is good and available all day. I had a banana split for breakfast on Wednesday. I can't say which was better: the split or the look of horror on Charlie and nurse Michelle's faces when I suggested it. The chapel is peaceful and worth a sit. Join in a few activities (you'll receive a newsletter each night with the next day's activities and menus). The Christmas party is really fun and their Santa was perfect. The villas are huge and comfortable. You can reach everything by walking but there is a little trolley that goes around all of the time and will take you where you want to go (yes it takes wheelchairs). If you need something, just ask. We forgot Alize's nebulizer and they were able to provide us with one. Finally, sign your child up to be tucked in by either Mayor Clayton or Miss Merry. It was fun. If anyone has specific questions about our trip, ask and I will try to answer. Karen

We leave on Tuesday morning. I will be getting up early tomorrow to try to get our Southwest Boarding Passes.

Thank you for taking time to post...and for not giving away too much. We are so looking forward to the trip but are down to stress mode - packing!!!! Glad it was such a good trip!

We leave on Tuesday morning. I will be getting up early tomorrow to try to get our Southwest Boarding Passes.

Thank you for taking time to post...and for not giving away too much. We are so looking forward to the trip but are down to stress mode - packing!!!! Glad it was such a good trip!

Have a wonderful time, relax while there and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. Karen

No, but don't you hate that feeling :rotfl: I think everyone is just really busy right now. I'm here still! Of course, I still have my trip to look forward to and may be more motivated to be checking out the boards ;) Hope your family is doing well!

I'm still here. I loved reading your TR posts, Karen.

I am just so slammed at work and home I feel like I'll never recover. Catching up after my week off was NOT fun. Then last week, our regional poobahs came in for an inspection, and I was at work until 6 or 630 every evening. (After getting there at 730) We are also building our house and spend every weekend working from "can't see to can't see)

We did go to a really nice party yesterday that Applebee's gave for the local Make a Wish families. That was a lot of fun.

Back to the grind now.

I hope all of my friends here have a wonderful and blessed Christmas and that all of our wishes come true in the New Year.

love
Holly

No, you didn't kill it. I'm reading and lovin the report Karen but I am on really, really slow internet for about five minutes a day here at the RMH. We are going home tomorrow for the week but I'll be swamped wrapping presents for Christmas and decorating and then taking down decorations and repacking to get my butt back down here. Wheeeee! At least we get to be home for the holidays thought!

Still here too.....no you did not kill the thread!!!! :rotfl2: Talk about crazy busy around here...not much time to do "me" things latley...like DIS!!!! :thumbsup2 Normally I work 12-15 hours a week....next week is 43 hours!:scared1: :scared1: (I am a merchandiser for a major card company) Plus, let's see here.....Christmas Eve at DMIL's, Christmas Day is with DH and DD's after DH gets home from work (darn piggies think they need to be fed daily :lmao: ) 26th is with my DMom and fam, 27th is with neighbors-grandmas, 29th is my Dmom's side of the family here at my house!!! :scared1: I think there are going to be about 40 people here!!! Oy!! What a week!!!!!!!! :faint:

Hopefully it will slow down soon!!!!!

Koryn's check-up went well, we don't have to go back to Iowa City for 6 months!! :cool1: She still gets her IVIG every six weeks here in town, but 6 months....wow!!!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!!!!!

Jill.......26 days....wow!!! :yay: That is going to go by in a hurry!!! Isn't it exciting to be in the "days" count instead of the "months"!!!! :goodvibes

We're home!! Yeah! So nice to be home but can someone come over and do the cleaning and wrapping of the presents please?! LOL

I think the closet exploded. I have laundry coming out of my ears...and not the laundry I brought back with me either!

Got a "pin code" for early next year! First time ever getting a pin code. I was so excited. My dh looked at me like I had three heads! LOL I'm still planning on going Jan 09. I'm thinking I'm going to go with an agency. Possibly the one associated with "The Mouse for Less". I have to do a little more research in my spare time! Hey, maybe if enough of us go at around the same time, we could get a deal and do some special things together. Grand gathering perhaps? Anyone?

Happy Holidays' everyone!

Wendy, I'da wrapped for you in a heartbeat! I love to wrap and only had one package to wrap this year (the adult kids got checks, and dh & I bought a lap top as our gift to each other.) SO glad you got to be home for the holiday!

The holiday prep has been kinda quiet - too quiet - with no children in the house. Nobody's coming home, either. :(

I've been working on a commemorative album for one of my marathon women (WDW Marathon is January 12) and planning pages for the albums to donate to GKTW. First, I thought i'd make complete albums - then I realized - the person on the mouse for less is collecting pages - and I could turn out 25 copies of a single page a lot faster than a single copy of 25 different pages.

Wishing you all the best holiday season EVER and a healthy and happy New Year!

Sorry to hear that the holidays are so quiet for you Linda. Too bad you don't live near by. I could have provided a very loud, italian christmas for ya! LOL

I finally finished wrapping. Dh has to put together the treehouse playset and that should be the end of it. I wonder what time he'll stop playing XBox to do that. 3? 4? Hmmmmm....

I have got to get to bed. I'm exhausted.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Still here too.....no you did not kill the thread!!!! Talk about crazy busy around here...not much time to do "me" things latley...like DIS!!!!
Karen, I just caught up on the last few pages.. :surfweb: Things have definitely been nuts here. I haven't even worked on my TR in the last month. I'm not sure now if I should go back and finish it or not. :confused3 :guilty: Thanks for taking me back to the villa rockers at GKTW. I think that was one of my personal favorite things on the trip! :goodvibes I appreciated the details you included in your mini TR too.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter