WISH Away the Pounds **Maddening March Challenge** All Welcome

Oh, and I signed us up for our 5th W&D this weekend. :) DS is running again too, but it will only be his second. :)

How exciting!!!! :cool1: I hope to be there with you next year!!

I seem to have a spring energy boost at the moment! I think the longer daylight hours are really helping me - and the warmer temperatures! We are already up to 50 degrees every day and have lots of sunshine. So wonderful!!

I agree!! We have a big family party this Saturday and it is supposed to be 52 degrees! I can't wait!

Hi, everyone!

Waving weakly from over here...what's that line Emily Blunt has in The Devil Wears Prada...something like, "I'm one stomach flu away from goal weight" - ? Yeah, that would be me. Dropped two pounds over the weekend and still not feeling quite right. So my March starting weight is the lightest I've been in months, but I'm not sure it'll stay there once I get over this fun GI bug. But right now I have next to no appetite, and I'm feeling fairly lousy.

Sorry you aren't feeling well! Hope you get better soon!!!

Hello everyone! I would love to join in if I'm not too late? I followed along in February with the intention of joining in March then completely forgot to log on :( Here is my info in hopes I can participate!

:welcome: I'm loving all these new faces this month! :banana:

Hi all! I just wanted to pop onto the March thread and let you all know I haven't fallen off the planet! Been just crazy busy here.... robotics competition last weekend, working almost all week, driving DD to an internship interview on Wednesday, blah, blah, blah. You all know how it goes, right? I PROMISE to pop on and chat as soon as I can find an hour to spare! I am thinking of you all constantly and miss our daily "chats"! But life must go on here! TTYL...........P

We miss you, mama hen!!!

Hang in there Helen! I remember waiting many years for "my life to start". Now looking back those years were some great years. Some great adventures before family life and all the commitments. Try to find a hobby. Might lead to finding some people to hang with. Ski club or beading or something at the Library. Take it day by day and watch for the doors to open! If its not feeling right you can pick up and start over.

Thanks, Bubbles! I'm Stacey, actually, but the message still came across loud and clear! I'm trying to do better about getting out there as much as I can, on a limited budget. It feels like dating, sometimes. I get myself all dressed up, I take the train to some random bar downtown, only to have a semi-awkward encounter with some people and then head back home. It ends up feeling like a waste of time, but I'm hoping that just like dating, eventually I'll find the right people. :)

Sorry for the late update... busy weekend! Had my hair done (cut and dyed) for the wedding and then my bridal shower thrown by my co-workers (which was very nice of them considering we are having a small destination wedding and only immediate family and closest friends will be attending)!

We're so excited for you, Amanda!! Can't wait to see how it all comes out.

Ahhhh, smiley police, BRB

Hobbies/Interests: wedding planning, watching wedding shows, scavanging pinterest and etsy for wedding ideas!

What will you do with your time when your wedding is over? :rotfl:

WOFTD, sorry about the loss of your beloved watch. :hug: One of the best things about being young is that you have so many choices and so few responsibilities -- I know you will find your niche and some adventures before
for sure! :goodvibes

Thanks - I appreciate that. I know I have so many options, its just that I've been moving so much of my life (I transferred 4 times in college), that I was really hoping to find a place and STICK to it for once, you know? I'll get there eventually, I suppose.

I joined a 5k training group at my local running store to reboot my running and make sure I didn't park my butt on the couch for a couple of months. Those people are killing me! :rotfl: They run longer intervals than I am used to and we ran in 8 degree temps with -13 wind chill on Saturday. Tomorrow we get to run in 100% chance of rain. :umbrella: It's an adventure! :hippie:

Good for you!!! Hope your run wasn't too rainy this morning! But, there's nothing like a big group to amp up your accountability. WTG!

Tomorrow she has an interview in Boston and we need to leave plenty of time to get there due to the infamous Boston traffic and the weather that is reported to be icky ( more snow!). Then I'll bring her back to school and get home, hopefully for dinner with my men Wednesday night... and then I am working at school Thurs. and Fri. And then Friday night I drive back to RI to pick up DD for spring break!. So I know you will all be forgiving if I am MIA for most of this week!
/QUOTE]

So, my question is... how do you do all of this and not get your supermom cape caught in anything on the go? :lmao:

Hellloooooo ladies! Remember me? The one who said she'd be back on the WISH wagon but keeps falling off? Yup, that's me! :confused3 Since I'm sick of not being able to throw off these last 10 pounds, I decided to do something positive and get back to where I feel the most weight-hating love! :rotfl2: I haven't stepped on the scale in a few weeks, so as soon as I can handle THAT bad newsflash, I'll join in. It feels so good to be back!!:cool1:

Kimberley

Welcome back, Kimberley! Rip off the band-aid and hop back in. We'll always be here :)

Next up for us it the little kids school's 5K at the end of March. I need to find a race for April. In May we have another 5K that raises money for a teammate of DS17's that died during our XC season. We raise funds for AED machines.

Are you doing a race every month?!?! How cool!

So, I have a certificate, a nice bunch of flowers and a sash, but no photos. I'll get dressed up and get DH to take one of me! So, since starting this journey with you guys, I have lost 77lb, been named Woman of the Year, and now the Greatest Loser....I must be doing something right.

How exciting!!! Congrats!!!

I know I'm doing better thought because I ran over a gas line cap in the middle of the road that popped my tire and I changed it myself! After I did it my dad called and told me we have Triple A. :rolleyes: Then I learned the important lesson of how much tires and getting a car fixed costs!

Good for you! If you can things yourself, all the better! More power to ya! :)

QOTD March 5, 2014: It's Woo Hoo Wednesday -- give yourself a big "woo hoo" for helping yourself to be healthy and share something that you did today week to help you with your goals.

Oh boy. This is a toughie. What I will say is that with everything going on, I haven't given up on my plans for weight loss. Every month I've been setting a new goal to stay healthy. Last month it was to keep a skin care routine and to work on whiter teeth. This month was supposed to be cooking meals for myself. But, if my apartment doesn't have heat... I can't exactly do that. So, rather than throw in the towel, I made April's goal (healthier hair) into March's goal and vice versa. I'm happy with the switch and hoping to go home tonight to a heated apartment!!!

My :woohoo: today is I am going to meet with a personal trainer at 5:30 a.m. this morning at my community center to get a strength training program -- something that has been missing from my workout regime. He is a little intimidating but I can do this! :hippie:

How awesome!!! Strength training is the best. If you do it at the gym, it makes you seem like such a tough guy since the majority of the people using the weight are usually men. Intimidating, but once you get the hang of it, it feels really empowering. You got this!

Woohoo Wednesday:
I am down below where I was at the end of February and at my lowest for the year!! So excited. :cool1: I completed my workout yesterday despite really, really, really not wanting to. :)

I think the secret for me is beans.:rotfl:

WOO HOO!!! That's awesome!!! Good for you! And making a mental note to add more beans into my diet! Haha, but really, I get you on the protein. I had a similar jump start last week when I realized I wasn't getting enough fiber!

QOTD: I guess my Woo Hoo for now is:
1. joined a gym :yay:

2. holding myself accountable on the exercise board by throwing down 1000 minutes of moving this month (Lord help me! :goodvibes)

At this point in my life you would think I wouldn't be intimidated to walk into a gym and work out by myself. I know that feeling will eventually stop after a few visits, and normally I don't give a rat's patootie what people think when they see me. For some reason though, I feel SO self-conscious about flying solo. Darn inferiority complex! :rotfl2:

WTG on 1000 minutes of moving a month! How are you tracking that?!

And I think we've all been there on the whole gym thing. Just remember that for every person who you look at going "ugh, I wish I had her body," there is someone looking that way at you and thinking the same thing.

THIS comic always makes me feel better about exercising in public. :rotfl:

---

Alright, I think I'm caught up! Its been a crazy start to this month. Finally went back to my apt last night in hopes of heat, only to find fire trucks outside. No fire, but until they figured out why the alarm was going off, we weren't going to be let back into the building...

SO, off I went, back to my parent's house. My back is so sore from all this shuffling about from place to place. YEESH.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that tonight everything will be sane again, and I'll be able to work out and shower and eat dinner in a nice warm place. Either that, or I'm going to go into hibernation until April.

Seriously, the bears know where its at.

:rotfl:

Hope everyone is excited about the warm weather this weekend!!

Helen, AWESOME ! No other word for it. You have done so well. So inspirational.

Yep! The teacher icon has def vanished from my smilies.

So I am hanging out to dry ...:laundy:

I can't do the excerpts of quotes, but
Mollis picture looks absolutely lovely. I have a fondness for photos in bare feet. I haven't worked out why but it was especially the case when the children were little - just love it!

Some very elegant photos on here of folks and you are truly gorgeous - I can only assume you guys are maintaining and don't need to lose any weight - you look great. I am working on it and one day I can post a photo (I assure you it won't be a selfie)!!!
Jules

what a great idea!!

DFN-130731-LSP_Portrait-6564245.jpg

from left: DD 20, DD 17, me, DH

[/COLOR]

I am late joining and I'm slacking on my food journaling already this month. I attended a crop this weekend and I just haven't got back in the swing of things!! I will WI tomorrow morning and assess the damage and set my goal

:welcome: to all our newcomers!!! :cool1:

That's a great picture! And your daughters are adorable! I've always wanted to take a photo like that on the ship so hopefully we'll be able to do that come October.

Good morning all! :goodvibes

I am Lisa and I will be your coach for the next few days.

ggpostersmall2.jpg

This journey to healthy living is full of ups and downs. Why you might even be tempted to compare it to the "the wildest ride in the wilderness." ;) But like any good thrill ride, hopefully the highs exceed the lows so today we celebrate those "woo hoo" moments we've had as we start a new challenge.

QOTD March 5, 2014: It's Woo Hoo Wednesday -- give yourself a big "woo hoo" for helping yourself to be healthy and share something that you did today week to help you with your goals.

Be back later with replies and to answer the QOTD myself!

Hi Lisa, my name is Lisa too! Thanks so much for taking the time to host.:)

Hmm, what did I do today to reach my goals? Well, I can tell you what I didn't do. Had a lunch meeting today and they brought in wraps. Unfortunately I grabbed the wrong one, it was veggie, no meat or cheese. Not that I don't like veggies, I love them. Except that with no protein or fat I knew I'd be hungry within an hour of eating. I went back to get one with meat but they were all gone. I could've caved and had a bag of chips and/or a cookie but I resisted.

8380851479_27459dd50e.jpg

Do you ever feel like your weight loss journey is a carousel that is going around and around without getting anywhere?

You can get back to making real progress thanks to some tips from my friends at sparkpeople.com :goodvibes

The Top 5 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight

You're Lazy

The most common "lazy" behavior of struggling dieters is a failure to measure and track what they eat. Many studies have shown that people tend to grossly underestimate how many calories they eat, and overestimate how "healthy" their diets actually are, too. While you may think you're making sweeping changes to your diet or that your portion sizes line up with what a nutrition facts label tells you a single serving really is, chances are greater that your eyeballing skills probably aren't so trust worthy.

The fix: Measure, write down and track everything you eat like it's your job. Get out your measuring cups and spoons, invest in an inexpensive kitchen scale and use a food tracking website or app like SparkPeople. Yes, it will be time consuming and kind of annoying at first, but it does get easier and you will learn to trust your own eyes to do the job soon enough.

You're a Cheater

There are a lot of diet plans and diet "gurus" that advocate a regular cheat meal or cheat day or cheat week, meaning that you eat "on plan" for a certain number of meals or days, then can eat anything on your "this makes you fat" list with reckless abandon—as long as it's only one hour/meal/day/etc., as if that magical length of time means those calories don't really make a difference. Even if you're following your own diet plan, perhaps you notice that you can only stick to a diet for so long before you mess up or give in and "cheat" on your diet. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this kind of cheating can completely undo the progress you made in the many days before—essentially setting you right back to where you started. For any diet to work, you have to be really consistent. It is VERY hard to eat fewer calories to create the caloric deficit for weight loss, but it is extremely easy to overeat.

The fix: My best advice for any diet is to ask yourself this: Can I eat this way forever? If the diet is very restrictive, puts tons of foods on a "bad" list that you can't have (even though you love them) or is so low in calories that you can barely function, you are bound to cheat. Very few people have the willpower to stick to such painful and depriving eating plans. Be skeptical of anything that lets you "cheat" as part of the rules, as that usually means the diet is too restrictive and you're not really learning to eat for life.

You're Exercising—But That's It

It's not your fault that you believe exercise is the key to weight loss and the ultimate body. We are bombarded with marketing messages that tell us fitness is what makes you slim, attractive, buff and healthy. Just look at all the before and after photos used to market gyms, DVDs, fitness plans and gizmos. Do they ever talk about diet? Hardly. But is diet essential to getting the weight-loss and body-sculpting results you see? Yes—probably even more than the exercise! If you can change nothing about your lifestyle other than adding some exercise—and still lose weight consistently—consider yourself a genetic marvel. Some people can do it, but it is very rare. The vast majority of the rest of us need more than exercise to lose weight: We also need to change our diets to eat fewer calories.

The fix: You can't out-exercise a bad diet. It takes a ton of effort and energy to burn even just a couple hundred calories, but it doesn't take much more than a little willpower to choose not to have that 200-calorie latte. For best weight-loss results, you need both: calorie reduction from your diet and calorie burning from exercise.

You Think You're a Calorie-Burning Machine

Here's the cold-hard truth: You are not burning as many calories as you think you are. It'd be awesome if that hour on the treadmill truly did burn 1,000 calories, or if your hardcore weight-lifting session was the calorie-burning equivalent of a 6-mile run, or if sweating a lot was an indication of a hard workout (sorry, but it's not). Truth is, most exercise trackers, cardio machine consoles, heart rate monitors and fitness apps are merely guessing at how many calories you burn—and doing a pretty bad job of it at that. These tools can overestimate calorie burn by 40 percent or more, and the heavier you are, the more inaccurate these read-outs will be. When you think you've burning a boatload of calories, you may eat a little more, treat yourself to that extra helping at dinner or feel the need to "fuel" your workouts with more food—but all of these actions often undo the work you just achieved in the gym.

The fix: Take these numbers with a grain of salt. Yes, keep exercising, but don't let the fact that you exercised trick you into eating back the calories you burned. Be conservative; assume that you burned maybe half of whatever the calorie-tracking tool reports, and you'll keep yourself in check.

Your Scale is Lying

Here's the good news. If you truly are exercising regularly, measuring and tracking your foods, sticking to a reduced calorie diet without going off on major detours and avoiding a lot of the common problems listed above, your body is very likely in the process of losing weight—it's just that you aren't being patient enough. We expect results quickly—almost instantaneously! We weigh in daily, multiple times throughout the day, even right after a workout, expecting that we've suddenly lost fat within the last few hours. But it simply doesn't work that way. It will take diligence and time for the scale to catch up to your efforts. And often, your body composition (amount of body fat and lean muscle mass) can change significantly even if the scale doesn't.

The fix: Weigh-in no more than every other week, under consistent conditions (clothing, time of day, etc.) and look for overall trends. Sometimes even a static weight is a good thing—it means you're not sliding in the wrong direction. Remember to be patient and to look for other signs of progress: looser clothing or more muscle definition. These are signs that no matter what the scale says, you are making progress!

61e254a16575f6f46a6c571b1d5f93f8.jpg

Here is a link to the entire article if you are interested http://weight-loss.top5.com/sparkpeople’s-nicole-nichols-top-5-reasons-youre-not-losing-weight/

QOTD Thursday March 6, 2014: Do you think that any of these ideas might help you to make real progress toward your health goals?

BBL with replies and my own answer.

awwww shucks guys, thanks for all the great comments on our photo :teeth: that was pirate night, and I just love my DH shirt, I got it on ebay it's pirate and tropical and Mickey! LOL

woohoo Wed -- well I got back on MFP after a 4 day hiatus! and I figured out already I was snacking calories I didn't have. darn how easy it is to slip back into bad mindless habits. I also got a good workout in after a 4 day hiatus

QOTD -- oh good heavens I see myself in all of those, maybe not all at the same time but I've definitely fallen into all of those traps!!

Lisa -- how did the trainer workout go? I bet you will really benefit from a trainer and find that you can enjoy it too. I found those workouts went much faster than when I worked out alone

ok, I was talking myself out of a workout this morning, lots to do, feeling sluggish, but now I read I'm not the calorie burning machine I think I am :rolleyes1 so I must now change that thinking to motivation to get some kind of a workout this morning!!

Woohoo Wednesday:
I am down below where I was at the end of February and at my lowest for the year!! So excited. I completed my workout yesterday despite really, really, really not wanting to. :)

I think the secret for me is beans. Ok, really I just think I was not getting enough protein. I am having nuts for a mid morning snack, and beans at least once a day. When I do this I feel better and I am able to stay on plan easier.

:woohoo: for being at your lowest weight this year, Rose!

Amazing how quickly the W&D Half sold out -- I hope they give you something nice for being a legacy runner. :cool2:

I've been reading quite a bit lately about the importance of protein and how many of us are not getting enough so I think that you are on to something there. ::yes::

QOTD: I guess my Woo Hoo for now is:
1. joined a gym

2. holding myself accountable on the exercise board by throwing down 1000 minutes of moving this month (Lord help me!)

At this point in my life you would think I wouldn't be intimidated to walk into a gym and work out by myself. I know that feeling will eventually stop after a few visits, and normally I don't give a rat's patootie what people think when they see me. For some reason though, I feel SO self-conscious about flying solo. Darn inferiority complex!

:woohoo: for joining the gym, Kimberley! It is intimidating being at the gym at first but I know that you will be comfortable soon and ready to rock! :flower3:

Well, I've been weighing myself daily even though there's days I really don't want to. Caught up on the boards today too after being missing for awhile.
Daughter moved in to my Mom's finally threw in the independence towel and I am so relieved....she needs to be somewhere structured with no cigarettes or alcohol around. I lent her my new Stephen King too which the whole theme really is alcoholism and I think that helped. Husband does know a lot of the managers at low income apts. though (because of his job) and that could help get her in somewhere eventually I hope. Gotta go- I'm late to pick her up lol.

Glad that your DD is in a better situation now, Susan. :hug: Soon there will be a sweet grandbaby in your life. :cool2:

I joined a gym back in December and have been going consistently 5 days a week since then. I actually find a miss it and feel weird not going on days I am not there. It has definitely been my goal for this year to make time to take care of myself every day a nonnegotiable. WooHoo!!

This is a great :woohoo: and shows that you are making changes that are truly lifestyle changes for the long term! :thumbsup2

THIS comic always makes me feel better about exercising in public. :rotfl:

Thanks for sharing this great cartoon, Stacey! :lmao: I think we can all identify with many of these. LOL.

Hope they get the heating situation fixed in your apartment soon. :flower3:

Some very elegant photos on here of folks and you are truly gorgeous - I can only assume you guys are maintaining and don't need to lose any weight - you look great. I am working on it and one day I can post a photo (I assure you it won't be a selfie)!!!
Jules

So funny that you lost the smilie that you could really use -- the html code for it is : teach : -- take out the spaces and type it in a message and see if it works for you. :badpc:

I have faith that you will be making great progress this month, Jules! :goodvibes

Hmm, what did I do today to reach my goals? Well, I can tell you what I didn't do. Had a lunch meeting today and they brought in wraps. Unfortunately I grabbed the wrong one, it was veggie, no meat or cheese. Not that I don't like veggies, I love them. Except that with no protein or fat I knew I'd be hungry within an hour of eating. I went back to get one with meat but they were all gone. I could've caved and had a bag of chips and/or a cookie but I resisted.

Lisa you get two :woohoo: :woohoo:!! One for making the best of a bad situation and two for resisting temptation! :yay: Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2

QOTD -- oh good heavens I see myself in all of those, maybe not all at the same time but I've definitely fallen into all of those traps!!

Lisa -- how did the trainer workout go? I bet you will really benefit from a trainer and find that you can enjoy it too. I found those workouts went much faster than when I worked out alone

ok, I was talking myself out of a workout this morning, lots to do, feeling sluggish, but now I read I'm not the calorie burning machine I think I am :rolleyes1 so I must now change that thinking to motivation to get some kind of a workout this morning!!

:woohoo: to you Molli for doing a workout even when you aren't feeling it!

My trainer was sick so I have to wait another week for that one. I think it will be fun to do some different things for a change. And my son had a choir rehearsal that went late and DH had a meeting so I missed my group run so yesterday was a bust for planned workouts. :rotfl: Some days are like that. :hippie:

QOTD Thursday March 6, 2014: Do you think that any of these ideas might help you to make real progress toward your health goals?

I think all of these apply to me at times! :lmao: I just changed the settings on my WW tracker so that it takes my activity points out of the equation -- I still see what I earned but they aren't available for food swapping -- to help me really concentrate on my food. That is where I am going to get the most from my efforts. :goodvibes

8380851479_27459dd50e.jpg

Do you ever feel like your weight loss journey is a carousel that is going around and around without getting anywhere?

You can get back to making real progress thanks to some tips from my friends at sparkpeople.com :goodvibes

The Top 5 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight

You're Lazy

The most common "lazy" behavior of struggling dieters is a failure to measure and track what they eat. Many studies have shown that people tend to grossly underestimate how many calories they eat, and overestimate how "healthy" their diets actually are, too. While you may think you're making sweeping changes to your diet or that your portion sizes line up with what a nutrition facts label tells you a single serving really is, chances are greater that your eyeballing skills probably aren't so trust worthy.

The fix: Measure, write down and track everything you eat like it's your job. Get out your measuring cups and spoons, invest in an inexpensive kitchen scale and use a food tracking website or app like SparkPeople. Yes, it will be time consuming and kind of annoying at first, but it does get easier and you will learn to trust your own eyes to do the job soon enough.

You're a Cheater

There are a lot of diet plans and diet "gurus" that advocate a regular cheat meal or cheat day or cheat week, meaning that you eat "on plan" for a certain number of meals or days, then can eat anything on your "this makes you fat" list with reckless abandon—as long as it's only one hour/meal/day/etc., as if that magical length of time means those calories don't really make a difference. Even if you're following your own diet plan, perhaps you notice that you can only stick to a diet for so long before you mess up or give in and "cheat" on your diet. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this kind of cheating can completely undo the progress you made in the many days before—essentially setting you right back to where you started. For any diet to work, you have to be really consistent. It is VERY hard to eat fewer calories to create the caloric deficit for weight loss, but it is extremely easy to overeat.

The fix: My best advice for any diet is to ask yourself this: Can I eat this way forever? If the diet is very restrictive, puts tons of foods on a "bad" list that you can't have (even though you love them) or is so low in calories that you can barely function, you are bound to cheat. Very few people have the willpower to stick to such painful and depriving eating plans. Be skeptical of anything that lets you "cheat" as part of the rules, as that usually means the diet is too restrictive and you're not really learning to eat for life.

You're Exercising—But That's It

It's not your fault that you believe exercise is the key to weight loss and the ultimate body. We are bombarded with marketing messages that tell us fitness is what makes you slim, attractive, buff and healthy. Just look at all the before and after photos used to market gyms, DVDs, fitness plans and gizmos. Do they ever talk about diet? Hardly. But is diet essential to getting the weight-loss and body-sculpting results you see? Yes—probably even more than the exercise! If you can change nothing about your lifestyle other than adding some exercise—and still lose weight consistently—consider yourself a genetic marvel. Some people can do it, but it is very rare. The vast majority of the rest of us need more than exercise to lose weight: We also need to change our diets to eat fewer calories.

The fix: You can't out-exercise a bad diet. It takes a ton of effort and energy to burn even just a couple hundred calories, but it doesn't take much more than a little willpower to choose not to have that 200-calorie latte. For best weight-loss results, you need both: calorie reduction from your diet and calorie burning from exercise.

You Think You're a Calorie-Burning Machine

Here's the cold-hard truth: You are not burning as many calories as you think you are. It'd be awesome if that hour on the treadmill truly did burn 1,000 calories, or if your hardcore weight-lifting session was the calorie-burning equivalent of a 6-mile run, or if sweating a lot was an indication of a hard workout (sorry, but it's not). Truth is, most exercise trackers, cardio machine consoles, heart rate monitors and fitness apps are merely guessing at how many calories you burn—and doing a pretty bad job of it at that. These tools can overestimate calorie burn by 40 percent or more, and the heavier you are, the more inaccurate these read-outs will be. When you think you've burning a boatload of calories, you may eat a little more, treat yourself to that extra helping at dinner or feel the need to "fuel" your workouts with more food—but all of these actions often undo the work you just achieved in the gym.

The fix: Take these numbers with a grain of salt. Yes, keep exercising, but don't let the fact that you exercised trick you into eating back the calories you burned. Be conservative; assume that you burned maybe half of whatever the calorie-tracking tool reports, and you'll keep yourself in check.

Your Scale is Lying

Here's the good news. If you truly are exercising regularly, measuring and tracking your foods, sticking to a reduced calorie diet without going off on major detours and avoiding a lot of the common problems listed above, your body is very likely in the process of losing weight—it's just that you aren't being patient enough. We expect results quickly—almost instantaneously! We weigh in daily, multiple times throughout the day, even right after a workout, expecting that we've suddenly lost fat within the last few hours. But it simply doesn't work that way. It will take diligence and time for the scale to catch up to your efforts. And often, your body composition (amount of body fat and lean muscle mass) can change significantly even if the scale doesn't.

The fix: Weigh-in no more than every other week, under consistent conditions (clothing, time of day, etc.) and look for overall trends. Sometimes even a static weight is a good thing—it means you're not sliding in the wrong direction. Remember to be patient and to look for other signs of progress: looser clothing or more muscle definition. These are signs that no matter what the scale says, you are making progress!

61e254a16575f6f46a6c571b1d5f93f8.jpg

Here is a link to the entire article if you are interested http://weight-loss.top5.com/sparkpeople’s-nicole-nichols-top-5-reasons-youre-not-losing-weight/

BBL with replies and my own answer.

Thanks for this!! The last one is a biggie for me!!! I am trying to be better about reminding myself staying the same is sure better than going up!!

Hi guys, lovely to see the thread moving along nicely.

QOTD - Thursday....well the only one that really resonates with me is the cheating bit...I have never deprived myself on this diet...Chocolate, cookies, cake, Dominos pizza, I've had it all, but I did realise in January that it was gettng to be a little too regular and I was losing and gaining the same few pounds. Had a word with myslef and I'm totally back on track now.

My night out with the running club was good......I've decided to join!!! They do 1,2,3,4,and 5 mile runs at the moment, you simply go with whichever group you want on any given day. They have qualified run leaders who make sure that the group stays together, the faster ones just keep doubling back to make sure no-one is left behind. It's not running that will ever get me a PB, but it was lovely to be out with a group. I only did the 1 mile run as I was supporting a friend who has not run in over 6 months and seemed afraid to go back. It was a bit of a walk in the park for me, but she managed it all without walking once. The look on her face was priceless. Next week we are going to try 2 miles

Tonight is Zumba class for an hour. I can't actually believe that I'm typing these things......those of you who remember me from last January will know I did no exercise at all, and now I am even considering training to be a run leader when I finish my university course in June and have more free time.

Helen, AWESOME ! No other word for it. You have done so well. So inspirational.

Yep! The teacher icon has def vanished from my smilies.

So I am hanging out to dry ...:laundy:

I can't do the excerpts of quotes, but
Mollis picture looks absolutely lovely. I have a fondness for photos in bare feet. I haven't worked out why but it was especially the case when the children were little - just love it!

Jules

:teacher:

It's in the first column 8 rows down.

The quotd prompted me to look up stuff on upping your metabolism. I always eat breakfast but I have a tendency to go for long periods of time without eating. I work 6 hour shifts at work a lot (you don't have to take a lunch on a 6 hour shift) and I don't break so completely skipping lunch happens a lot and dinner. Maybe I need to start taking actual breaks. I don't know though, I'd have to take something to work that doesn't need heating because I eat so slow- I'd certainly have no time to go buy something. Let's see--corn nuts, fruit, stuff I can just keep in my locker...it's possible. Also the 3 hour workout sessions currently involve the almond snack right after the workout but I forget a lot--have to work on that.

WooHoo Wednesday

I've been trying a lot of new things with my nutribullet and replacing desserts with smoothies! Almost as good.

And I've been using the Pact App, which has been really good. I haven't lost any money yet. But it's a really good motivator to remember to do things like log food, track my veggies or make sure I'm going to they gym.

Thursday QOTD- I think that I think of those things more than I did when I started. That last one is a biggie for me. I tend to pay a lot more attention to the number on the scale than to anything else. But I can see it in my muscles, how long I can run for and how my clothes fit that I've lost. I think I just have to be more patient and not care about the scale as much as I do.

I think the changes I'm making now, while the weightloss is much slower than eating 13 almonds a day for each meal, will be far more sustainable. I'm also someone who tries not to count my work out in a calorie deficit because I'm never believe what it says on the machine.

Space-mountain-mission-2.jpg
photo disneyparks wikia

You are clear to launch . . .

Have you ever thought about all the ways you can burn calories without “exercising”? Your daily activities can be just as diet-friendly as working out, so on those days you can't make it to the gym, basic chores and favorite hobbies are great alternatives. We’ve rounded up 5 of the most surprising ways to work off around 100 calories (based on a 150-lb woman), so pick your favorites for a burn you won't even feel.(this one comes from WomansDay.com :thumbsup2)

5 Surprising Ways to Burn 100 Calories

Hit the Dance Floor
Get into the groove by dancing for 20 minutes at a moderate pace. For an added kick, choose up-tempo music—you'll get your heart racing without even realizing it.

Neat and Tidy
Vacuum for a total of 25 minutes and you’ll not only have a clean house, you’ll also work your upper body, toning your shoulders and biceps as you push and pull the machine along the carpet.

Satisfy Your Belly
Your tummy will benefit in more ways than one when you spend 40 minutes in the kitchen preparing a homemade meal. If you really want to work those arms, try some labor-intensive prep work like kneading dough, whipping cream or grinding spices with a mortar and pestle.

Chore Time
Got 20 minutes? Spend it doing light chores, like sweeping the floors and dusting shelves, for a tidier home and a slimmer you.

Shop Till You Drop
Forget lightening your wallet! Instead, apply the principle to your waistline by window shopping for 30 minutes. Of course, you could add in a little strength training, by carrying a few recent purchases around.

Here is a link to the entire article if you are interested in seeing the 15 other ways they suggested http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/20-surprising-ways-to-burn-100-calories-111251#slide-1

QOTD Friday, March 7, 2014: What is your favorite way to burn 100 calories? It could be from the list or something else . . . even the gym!

BBL with replies and my own answer

A friendly reminder that today is weigh in day so please send those PMs to our lovely hostess, Helen! :flower3:

Thanks for this!! The last one is a biggie for me!!! I am trying to be better about reminding myself staying the same is sure better than going up!!

A maintain over a gain is always a winner in my book for sure! :thumbsup2

My night out with the running club was good......I've decided to join!!! They do 1,2,3,4,and 5 mile runs at the moment, you simply go with whichever group you want on any given day. They have qualified run leaders who make sure that the group stays together, the faster ones just keep doubling back to make sure no-one is left behind. It's not running that will ever get me a PB, but it was lovely to be out with a group. I only did the 1 mile run as I was supporting a friend who has not run in over 6 months and seemed afraid to go back. It was a bit of a walk in the park for me, but she managed it all without walking once. The look on her face was priceless. Next week we are going to try 2 miles

Tonight is Zumba class for an hour. I can't actually believe that I'm typing these things......those of you who remember me from last January will know I did no exercise at all, and now I am even considering training to be a run leader when I finish my university course in June and have more free time.

Is that exciting that your healthy lifestyle is opening so many new and exciting opportunities for you? :yay: You so totally :rockband:

:teacher:

It's in the first column 8 rows down.

Thanks for putting on your mod hat, Buffy! :cool2: There are many mysteries in smilie land for sure. ;)

The quotd prompted me to look up stuff on upping your metabolism. I always eat breakfast but I have a tendency to go for long periods of time without eating. I work 6 hour shifts at work a lot (you don't have to take a lunch on a 6 hour shift) and I don't break so completely skipping lunch happens a lot and dinner. Maybe I need to start taking actual breaks. I don't know though, I'd have to take something to work that doesn't need heating because I eat so slow- I'd certainly have no time to go buy something. Let's see--corn nuts, fruit, stuff I can just keep in my locker...it's possible. Also the 3 hour workout sessions currently involve the almond snack right after the workout but I forget a lot--have to work on that.

Maybe even something with a ice pack like cheese for work? :confused3 I tried the Weight Watchers Jalapeno String Cheese yesterday and it was delicious -- 50 calories or 1 PP.

There is an important window for fueling after a workout so that might be the first thing to work on.

It's a challenge to figure out what works for you. :flower3: And then it changes the next month anyway because your body adapted! :lmao:

WooHoo Wednesday

I've been trying a lot of new things with my nutribullet and replacing desserts with smoothies! Almost as good.

And I've been using the Pact App, which has been really good. I haven't lost any money yet. But it's a really good motivator to remember to do things like log food, track my veggies or make sure I'm going to they gym.

Thursday QOTD- I think that I think of those things more than I did when I started. That last one is a biggie for me. I tend to pay a lot more attention to the number on the scale than to anything else. But I can see it in my muscles, how long I can run for and how my clothes fit that I've lost. I think I just have to be more patient and not care about the scale as much as I do.

I think the changes I'm making now, while the weightloss is much slower than eating 13 almonds a day for each meal, will be far more sustainable. I'm also someone who tries not to count my work out in a calorie deficit because I'm never believe what it says on the machine.

I agree the number on the machine after your workout may not be correct but there are lots of calculators online that take into account your age, weight, and workout that would be more reliable if you wanted to at least know what it was.

QOTD Friday, March 7, 2014: What is your favorite way to burn 100 calories? It could be from the list or something else . . . even the gym!

My favorite nongym way to burn calories is doing housework -- double dipping a clean house with some activity works for me. :cool2:

Happy Friday all and don't forget those weigh in PMs. Make the numbers be ever in your favor! ;)

:mad::mad::headache: grrrrrrr!!!! I'm up today and really up from last week!! ugh I hate water retention!! I know that I did not eat the calories I would've had to in order to truly gain what the scale said but UGH so frustrating!! I will have to use this WI to motivate me to be extra super good the coming week and flush the fluff back out, or I will never make my march goal!!

ok, thanks for the vent

I really like the thought of burning 100 calories by doing 30 mins of housework! that will motivate me in both aspects, burning and cleaning! ha! I'm not able to clean my house in one day, I have to break it up throughout the week and I'm never caught up, but knowing I'm burning 100 calories will help me embrace my daily housecleaning chore :teeth:

pixie duse for everyone on the scale today!!! :wizard:

Well I managed to have a good week finally! Down 4.5lbs. Of course I was up from 2 weeks of eating junk due to kitchen remodel so I was hoping that would come back off quick.

I'm so frustrated though w/my foot issue. I think with all the up on a ladder and reaching I found my foot hurting I think due to standing on my toes a lot. From my big toe joint on the top of the foot and running straight up the top of the foot towards the ankle. Of course just when I get motivated to start exercising. So I've taken a break for the last 4 days and it's better but I took 2 aleve and got on the treadmill today. We'll see how the foot feels when the pain meds wear off :)

I started a food journal and that's really helped. I was using my app but I found that when I sneak a bite of this or that it's really hard to add all those little things so I've gone back to the old fashioned pen and paper to account for everything. Very eye opening.

Now to stay good over the weekend!!

Gotta run - good luck everyone!!

Morning all and Happy Friday! Just a quick drive-by to say hello! This week has been right out crazy for me! I am taking next week off, however, because DD will be home for Spring Break.... so I will definitely have time to come here and chat!

Miss you all!.........P

Happy Friday all! I hope everyone had good weeks and saw some progress. I'm close to 2 lbs down so I'm hoping I can keep that moving. Need lots of progress to fit any of my vacation clothes for our cruise in May!

Morning, all! I was down this morning, but not by much. :sad1:

I know, better down than up, but I was so confused as to why I was barely down any, and then I remembered how awful this week was with the heat and bouncing back and forth between apartments. I'm sure my wonky schedule and eating at weird times did not help.

But, I got to measure inches today and my thighs are finally getting smaller! I know they say the problem areas take the longest to come off, but I had seen no change in them at all, every time I've tried to lose weight! It's only a half inch, but I am going to celebrate that half inch by taking MORE stairs this month! :)

Thought I'd get back into the daily holidays now that I'm living in my apartment again (since we have heat!!! YAY!)!

Today is Middle Name Pride Day. My middle name is Lynn (and I hate it haha). But, then again, my first name never really suited me either. I always wished my name was Veronica because Veronicas always get to be the cool characters in movies... and the Stacey is usually the mean girl or the name of the woman having the affair with the main character's husband. :rotfl2:

It is also National Cereal Day - so grab a bowl!

Tomorrow is National Women's Day - so take some time for yourself and the women in your family!

I always love when you coach - it gives me a chance to read all those Sparkpeople articles I've been saving for later to read! :thumbsup2

I am definitely a Friday cheater. I weigh in, and I get so excited that I sometimes go overboard on dinner that night. I'm okay with it, because that's it for me - that's my night to splurge. I'm usually very good the rest of the week. The problem is when my splurge "night" turns into a splurge "weekend" haha

Honestly, I'm on such a routine during the week, that its hard for me to even crave something sweet or off plan. When the weekend comes, thats when the cravings hit, and they are hard to curb. I think as it becomes easier for me to cook and lower my sodium from all those frozen meals, I'll feel better about a treat here or there, and it will lessen my desires on Friday.

Had a word with myslef and I'm totally back on track now.

I love that - had a word with myself hahahaha Good for you on the running club!!!! Sounds like a great way to stay motivated!

Honestly, it used to be running. And every day that I work out to get toward my goal weight, I get so excited about all the running I'm going to do once I get there.

But, running never burned as many calories as I needed to continuously lose weight since I always wanted to run for distance and not speed. Alas, I had to find other means. I like workout videos, honestly. I like when someone else is telling me the things I need to do and has a plan from start to finish. It makes the time fly for me.

As far as daily activities, dance parties while I cook are a regular routine now :lmao:

Also - speaking of running - did I read right that Wine and Dine sold out in 26 hours?!?!?! I thought that was supposed to be the race that took a little while to sell out!! :confused3 That's crazy! Its on my list for 2015, so I am making a mental note to register as soon as I can!

HI Ladies just a fly by hello how are ya all.. Looking like you've all had a great week.. Lisa love your QotD's but just no time to answer in depth..

Whoo hoo is I am doing a slighty modified couch to 5K .. I stay on the treadmill at least 30 mins so on Monday & Thursday I walked 5 jogged 2 walked 5 jogged 2 walked 5 jogged 1.5 walked 5 jogged 1.5 walked the rest.

Thurs - Im a cheater - love to weight in and then splurge! I am going back to just counting carbs (the duo of carbs/WW is killing me) I only have 1 month till I go back to the Dr and think Carb counting is the way to go.. I am going to keep going to my WW meeting as my leader is totally awesome !

Friday - are we allowed to say "behind closed doors" however I do love an upbeat song and a few 80's dance moves! also I love to do a bit of my wii boxing..

I'll be skipping my WW meeting and WI this week.. my Grandmother isn't doing soo well - had her last rites last week and we are heading up to see her for weekend . I'll see you all monday! Michelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter