• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WISH Away the Pounds January Challenge -- Jumpstart the New Year -- Everyone Welcome!

QOTD January 3, 2014: What is the single best exercise for you? And what type of activity would you like to try? Is there any activity that you tried and you swear you will never do again?

Be back in a bit with replies and my own answer.
To be honest the single best exercise for me is probably the elliptical or the amt. It is easiest on my joints, doesn't tweak the ligament/tendon issues in my feet and I lose weight faster when I am regularly hitting those machines. What do I like best--there is nothing like a long run when I am feeling good, but since I seem to be "broken" all the time lately, I have shortened my runs. I do yoga twice a week to keep things from hurting, and I have been running or walking at least a mile a day since Jan 1, 2013. I have tried zumba (I am very uncoordinated), barre (very painful :rotfl:) and different strength classes. I try to hit a strength class once a week--again don't enjoy it, but it is good for me. I occasionally pool run as well.

The one thing I do not do--swim. I am a terrible swimmer. I have contemplated lessons, but I have such an anxiety reaction just thinking about it that I decided probably not worth it!

To be honest, what I love most about exercising (no matter what it is) is how I feel afterwards. So I am able to get my butt to the gym since I know I am going to feel great (no matter how sore) when I finish. :goodvibes

The workout I hated the most was yoga. I know some people swear by it, and I hope to one day use it for flexibility, but I've taken two yoga classes and between the sweat pouring off of me (so much so that I slipped on my yoga mat several times) and my total inability to relax while in a contorted position... they were both embarrassing disasters. Maybe someday, but definitely would never rely on it as a workout haha
:rotfl: I do yoga a couple times a week--and to be honest most of the time I am watching the clock the entire timing praying for it to be over. :lmao: But it keeps my from hurting all over and enables me to do many other things that I love, so I go and count the minutes until it's done. I will say I am more flexible at 46 than I was in high school--so I consider that a very good thing!

Down 1 pound! I am crediting that to the water I am forcing myself to drink. Hit the Y and did 30 min on the elliptical and 26 min on the indoor track. Did my planks, meditated and almost done with my water.

I am kind of dreading going back to work on Monday--mostly because of the weather. The highs are supposed to be below 0. I am not even sure my car will start when it's that cold. It was 5 this morning when I went to the gym and it wasn't overly happy. So thankful that at least the sun is shining today.:goodvibes

Have a great day!

QOTD January 3, 2014: What is the single best exercise for you? And what type of activity would you like to try? Is there any activity that you tried and you swear you will never do again?

The best exercise for me seems to be running, but outside, not on the 'dreadmill' (haha, love that!). Look forward to my parkrun every Saturday morning, and can't wait for lighter nights so that I can start runnig outside again on my own......OH is happy to come with me, but I slow him down, and I also kinda like being on my own a bit. I'm also really enjoying zumba....the tutor is not a serious person, she likes us to have a laugh doing silly poses and stuff and the hour passes in no time at all.

I would like to try spinning I think, but I never manage to get booked onto a class at the gym. By the time I log on to book, all of the places are gone and there are usually about 20 on the waitlist! All of this only 5 minutes after booking has opened....guess it's very popular! There are 40 bikes too, but always full.

As for something I've done but don't want to try again......any of the weights at the gym....I just find it soooo boring!

Weight was the same this morning, but as Lisa said, it's only been 3 days, so I'm not stressing yet, hope to see a big improvement by next Friday though!!

Good morning all. Had a two hour delay at work this morning and got some calories burning by digging out our driveway so that I could pull out. We went out and shoveled last night but we must have decided to go out right in the middle of the storm because I still had to shovel 4-5 inches this morning! Snow on the ground means it's back into the gym to use the treadmill for me as my outdoor route doesn't have any sidewalks and the road doesn't have very much of a shoulder and it's now covered in the plowed snow.:sad2:

The two exercises for me are definitely running and powerlifting to a degree. I have always enjoyed doing weights but since I started doing powerlifts (squats, deadlift, bench press), I have fallen in love with it even more and almost have trouble with just using machines now because it just doesn't feel the same. It is such a confidence booster to squat 100+ pounds. ::yes:: It also helps when the men in the free weight area tell me that my form is better than most of the men who lift there :lmao:.

My boyfriend bought me a small kettlebell for christmas so I guess that is one thing I would like to try. I need to go to the store and see if I can find a good dvd to try it with.

As far as one activity that I really just do not like, I'm going to add another slash in the swimming column. I cannot imagine just swimming laps for fitness. I always dreaded pool week in gym in high school; I'm just not very good at it and don't enjoy it at all.

Thanks for all the responses about the FitBit. When i have time, I'll go back and search through previous threads. Now I just have to decide between the Zip and the Flex. I'm leaning towards the Zip because 1) it's cheaper and 2) the only difference between the 2 models seems to be the sleep tracking ability and I'm not really sure I need that.

QOTD: Well, since I've always hated exercise, I'm probably the wrong person to ask. :rotfl:

I enjoy power walking and that is my current exercise of choice. I would like to eventually work up to running but not sure how my knees will like that.

I hated Zumba. I felt totally lost the entire time and the instructor never explained what she was doing. The class all seemed to be able to follow along without her saying anything. I could not. I need some sort of instruction or "we're going to grapevine to the left" or something. It just did not work for me.

My goal for the day is to get MFP up and running. I'll post my user name once I have it figured out.

I liked cardio/step classes but I feel like these classes have gone the way of the dodo bird.

I belong to a fitness club but everything seems either strength training with weights (which I know I should do, but I hate it and I find these classes intimidating because I am such a weakling) or Pilates (which I also hate). I guess you figured out that I don't go "clubbing" very often. :lmao:

I tried a Zumba class two years ago and threw out my back. So I'm not interested in trying that anytime soon.

Gosh, there is no activity that I would like to try.

Hi from Philly! The drive up wasn't too bad - the downside was the bright sun, oddly enough. My washer fluid line was frozen or clogged (not empty, for sure), so I kept having to stop and wash the windshield with snow. FUN. But I'm here and conferencing - working a bit in the hotel now.

QOTD - the best exercise for me might not be my favorite. I love running (never thought I'd say that, but I do!), but I think the best type of exercise for losing weight for me is high intensity interval training...I've had a lot of success with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and am thinking about trying Power 90 for something longer-haul. After Dopey, I think I'm going to run a little less (at least while it's super cold) and work the interval training back in for a while.

Kami, I have a FitBit Flex, which I loved for the sleep tracking as well as the step tracking. But the thing stopped charging after three months - just wouldn't even pretend to charge in the charging cradle! I contacted them, and they were great about it - sent me a FedEx return label and are shipping me a replacement now. So if something does go south, at least you're not left hanging. I'm just sorry to miss time with it, especially as I don't think the replacement will be here before I go to Dopey next week! :(

Also, I wanted to tell you that my DH is also T1D. My Dopey fundraising has been for JDRF, and I bet you and he would have lots to talk about! He was diagnosed at 11 and now uses the OmniPod system as well as continuous glucose monitor.

Back to work for me - I don't have a scale here, so I may skip the optional WI today...hope everyone has a great weekend!

XO
Liz

What is the single best exercise for you? And what type of activity would you like to try? Is there any activity that you tried and you swear you will never do again?

Swimming. I spend a lot of time doing the weight machines and free weights and my aerobic is either the elliptical (which I love) or biking to work but I need to incorporate more swimming in to the aerobic part like maybe lifting weights, then swimming after for my aerobic. It's just hard to time it so you get a lane, there's classes and swim team and just busy times when you have to share a lane and I don't like to do that because I just back stroke. I've started using weights though for when that happens and I just tread water and that helps. I got into weight lifting because I figure that's the only way I'm going to stay looking good in my 40's and I also like the added benefit of being strong!

I would love to try zumba or spinning but my gym doesn't offer spinning and I have too messed up of a weekly schedule to do any class.

I jogged when I was a teen but I'm just never going to go that route again, the races are too expensive for me and I'm self conscious, top heavy and have heard too much bad stuff on how hard it is on the body.

QOTD Thursday January 2, 2014: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely
* Maybe, it depends on the person
* No, I don't think it's necessary

Oh yes, absolutely! I use MFP now, have for years. I used SparkPeople when I lost weight back in 2008-2009. If I don't track, I don't feel like I am on track. I guess i need those numbers for reinforcement. One of the reasons I love my Bodymedia armband!

Today is our optional first weigh in day and you have all week-end to send in your numbers. Realisitically it's only been two days so don't be discouraged if the number is the same. This journey takes time. :hippie:

Well, my weight is the same so I won't send a weigh-in and clog up your inbox! Good news though, I had my second check-up with my Dr since I started getting serious about my health (started seeing the Dr in Oct). I "only" lost 8 lbs in Dec, but I lost 13 lbs of fat (according to the the body composition machine they use which measures body fat vs. lean body mass)! :banana: I wasn't expecting that so it was good news :)

As for exercise, this is a hard question to answer... I feel great after zumba class, but I love hiking Tumamoc Hill which I think is even better for me because I do it with my BFF and we get to spend some greeat time together! Also, I used to do the elliptical at the Y, and if I could motivate myself to do this I would have more opportunity to exercise when I can't get to class.

I really hate the dreadmill as well! Which sucks because this is the only piece of equipment we have at home. I do want to start running when I get to a bit healthier weight (so it is not so hard on my joints). I would LOVE to run a Disney marathon someday! :love:

Wow, you can really tell that it is January! Miss a day and I am WAY behind on reading and replies! So awesome to see everyone here!

Hello to all! I am back for January 2014 after lurking quite a bit over the past several months. I have a heavy work/school load as I do both full-time, so things got away from me for a bit. However, this next (and LAST!!) semester is a lot easier, so I will be able to exercise a ton and meet my goal, which is to go to Disney at a healthy weight in October 2014. Great to see that many of us are off to good starts for the new year. I do have a loss over the brief start-up period, probably because I have spent a lot of time exercising over the past couple of days. With no school for two more weeks, I can do that!

Unlike several others, swimming is my go-to exercise. I have always been more comfortable in water than on land. I do use ellipticals, treadmills, and recumbent bikes at the gym as well, but I truly enjoy swimming most. I know I need to start some kind of strength program but I do dread that as I don't enjoy it or really know how it works. Plus our weight room at the university is completely filled with male athletes who are terrifying and I don't want anything to do with that. They opened up a fitness room for ladies this semester with some minimal weights and the like, so maybe I will try that next month.

I am already a day behind! So pretend I posted this yesterday :rolleyes1

Woohoo Wednesday!
Telling my hubby we needed to register everyone for the 5K and book airfare. He snorted at me and I told him to bite it, we are going to WDW.
:rotfl: You GO girl! ( but if he bites it, does he have to write it?)

Hi! My name is Kami and I'm 41 (will be 42 next month).

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic (have had Diabetes since the age of 9) and I'm on an insulin pump. I'm also in the beginning stages of menopause so I'm going through all the hormonal hurdles that come along with that. I lost my mother to Ovarian Cancer a year ago today so 2013 was a year of grief for me. I'm looking forward to 2014 and I'm determined to be healthier and happier this year.

Really looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you this year! Hope we all have a happier and healthier new year!
:welcome: Glad you joined in. :hugs: Sounds like a rough 2013, sorry for the loss of your mother.

As I read your post I was seeing the Phoenix rising from the ashes-- I think you are going to have a great 2014. :thumbsup2

I'm Helen. I started these challenges in Jan 13 as I had decided that I didn't want to be fat and 50!!! I managed to lose 71lb in 2013, and according to the BMI chart I am no longer obese, just overweight!!!!!
:cool1: on the 71lb loss!! That is awesome!

I have had a wonderful 12 days off, but alas, all good things must come to an end and I go back to work tomorrow. My own kids are in a different district and they don't go back until Monday, those lucky ducks. We have a winter weather advisory for tonight into Friday and a wind chill warning for tomorrow into Friday :headache: If the wind chill is as bad as they are saying (feeling like -10 to -15), we will probably have a 2 hour delay Friday (which I won't complain about :)).

Jill
I had to look at your location and see if we live in the same place! That sounded exactly like what we were doing. Kind of stunk going back to work/school on Thursday but as our school nurse said "Not a bad work week, we get a Monday and a Friday and that's it!" I think I kind of liked easing back into things and not jumping back in on a full week.

And was so hoping for a 2 hour delay where I am but no such luck. All we got was cold and wind. Not even much ice.

Last year started off well - I lost 20 pounds in the first 6 months of 2013 doing Weight Watchers and felt totally ready to keep going to my goal... I then proceeded to go on an 80 day road trip around the country to visit 48 states... Needless to say, between the hours in the car and the foods that I just "had to taste because when I was ever going to come back to (insert random place here)," I gained every pound back... and then some. Funny how it took me 6 months to lose it, and only 3 to gain it back :rotfl2:
That sounds like a really cool trip! I would love to hear/read more about it. I have told DH when we retire I want to just drive all over the country. Of course I am a total homebody so it probably won't happen.

Speaking of travel, I'm heading to a short conference in Philly tomorrow. I'm driving up, as it's not that far for me, and I'm going to go early to try and catch a break on the weather. Should be interesting...I think Philly is south enough that it won't be too bad, but I'll be glad to get to my hotel and just chill out until my work starts!

Stay safe and warm, everyone - I'm looking at you, New England and New York!

XO
Liz
I have to read pages 5 and 6 of this thread so see how you are doing. Driving to Philly sounds scary with the storm predictions. Hopefully you made it okay!

:wave2:

QOTD Thursday January 2, 2014: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely
* Maybe, it depends on the person
* No, I don't think it's necessary

I'll be back with my own answer and some replies. :goodvibes
Going with B-- depends on the person. I really hate tracking. I do it occasionally but usually end up giving up because it annoys me so much. I like MFP and SparkPeople and seeing the numbers for everything and the percent of fat/carbs/calories etc. But I get frustrated that numbers can vary so much depending on which entry you choose. And I start rationalizing things. "If I eat this candy bar and then skip dinner then I will stay under on my numbers." Not a good way to eat healthy!

I do best if I stick with the idea of limiting carbs and "junk" and just focus on the healthy things in appropriate portions, rather than tracking every number.

I've decided to try using My Fitness Pal so we will see how I do. I really want to get a FitBit for my birthday next month and I've read that it works well with My Fitness Pal.

Anyone here using a FitBit? If so how do you like it?

LOVE my FitBit! I have a ONE that stays in my pocket or clipped to my waistband. I thought about getting a Flex but I don't think I would like it on my wrist. And I move my arms a lot with my job and I read that it can affect your numbers. I have used mine to track my sleep a few times and it really was interesting to see how much I move/wake up during the night.

I was using it with MFP but I didn't like that it would adjust my upper calorie limit up based on my FitBit activity number. I like to keep my numbers constant and have to for the plan I am using. It messed with my head that the number would change every day. I switched to Spark People and had better luck with it. It also syncs with the FB but doesn't mess with my total numbers. I also got the FitBit Aria scale and love it!

I have a fitbit! I LOVE it.

boy did I especially love it in Disney. I'd get back to the room at the end of the day and look and it would say 27,800 steps (for example) and I'd be like- UP AN AT EM! We are SO hitting 30,000 by midnight!

Very motivational for me and I NEVER take it off. Since August 1st.
I would love to see what we do at WDW. I may have DH keep my FitBit on him and see what each day looks like. I use a scooter so it won't do much good if I am wearing it!

QOTD--I think tracking is a great tool. And I think it really aids in weight loss. But I really hate doing it, and rarely make it more than a couple of days at a time. We make almost all our meals from scratch, and a lot of times vegetarian meals have a ton of ingredients. I am often just too unmotivated to enter all the stuff in mfp to figure out my calories for the day. I have found that if I am vigilant portion control works for me. Excuses, excuses, I know. ;)

That is also one of my major frustrations with tracking. We also do mostly homecooked meals too and it is a pain to have to enter nearly every recipe online, especially since often we don't really follow the recipe.

Good morning all! :goodvibes

Today is our optional first weigh in day and you have all week-end to send in your numbers. Realisitically it's only been two days so don't be discouraged if the number is the same. This journey takes time. :hippie:

Be back in a bit with replies and my own answer.

I think my number is the same so I will wait until next week to WI.

So, I don't exercise *hangs head in shame* :worried: I hate exercise. I hate all exercise. I hate to sweat. If you held a gun to my head and told me I had to pick something I would pick swimming. LOVE the water. I love to swim laps and love the peace of the water.

Because if my physical issues with my hip and feet walking and running are out for me as is anything that involves being on my feet. Haven't swam laps in a long time so not sure if I would still be able to do that.

I did buy a Walk Away the Pounds DVD when I was doing BL here and it didn't totally suck. :duck: I could do a little of it and modify some of it to make it work for me. But I lost the flippin DVD. :furious:

I do think that exercise is important and I keep reminding myself I need to at least pick up my hand weights and do some strength and toning for my arms, and I really need to do somethings to strengthen my core. I try to walk extra during the day when I can. Some days I can't really get a way from my desk but when I do I try to take the long way 'round to get where I am going.

Hi from Philly! The drive up wasn't too bad - the downside was the bright sun, oddly enough. My washer fluid line was frozen or clogged (not empty, for sure), so I kept having to stop and wash the windshield with snow. FUN. But I'm here and conferencing - working a bit in the hotel now.
Glad you made it!

Had a good day yesterday and most of today. One thing that has really helped me this year is that our school got a new food service company. The food quality and variety has really improved and they make pretty good salads. We can order a custom salad in the morning and pick it up at lunch so I don't have to worry as much about not having time to make lunch. And with Medifast I always have a variety of things in my desk that I can make if there are no other options.

Just got back from picking DD up from a party and now am exhausted all the sudden. I am a little hungry too-- I ate dinner pretty early. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!) I have had to give up all after dinner/late night snacking. I take my thyroid meds at bedtime and can't eat 2-3 hours before taking them. Also I need to avoid soy before taking them and most of the medifast foods are soy based so I have to plan to have all of those foods no later than about 7pm. I think this is another thing that has helped with my weight loss though. I used to have a snack in the evening and go to bed "full". Now I have a bit of an empty feeling most nights but as I learned during the BL challenge before "Hunger is NOT an emergency!". I remind myself that empty feeling probably means that my body is fueling with the fat stores and not the fat in food I just ate. If it gets bad I drink a glass of water.

:cheer2:Everyone have a great ON PLAN weekend! Saturday and Sunday maybe days off of work for many, but they are not days off of being healthy!:cheer2:

well I remembered to WI today..after I had eaten and got dressed so I hope the number is a little inflated b/c YIKES!! I gained 7 lbs since thanksgiving! crap!! so I have 30 lbs to lose this year

I'm at 8lbs since Thanksgiving so I'm right there with ya!! I'm hoping that comes of quickly since it went on quickly - lots of not normal eating those last 2 weeks of the holidays.

QOTD: definitely love my treadmill. It's the only time I get to watch my "shows". I don't watch tv unless on the treeadill so I'm often very excited to have an hour to watch something on Netflix, hulu, dvr etc. I do incline and mix up the speeds some. I HATE running - my bladder can't handle it :laughing: for a long time but I can do 10 min at a time then walk incline which actually burned just as much calories at a much slower pace.

I'd like to start weight training. I know it works wonders and have seen several ladies start it and have great toned bodies - not big just long and lean.

I'd love to do the P90 thing too. I have the original - I need to dust that off I guess.

--------------

Had a few snacks today and ended up and Chuck E Cheese. At least it's paper thin pizza so not horrific I guess.

Skipped dinner (to make up for the pizza and snacks) and made my Superfood smoothie of Goji berries, banana, cacao, chia, hemp, cinnamon and almond milk. It tastes a bit like a mocha coffee drink. I'm not a coffee drinker so that's what I imagine it tested like.

I need to come up with some healthy dinners. I'm in a rut! I was tempted to buy the Super Shred book. I like that guy (forget his name- dr ian?). BUt I feel like it will be one more wasted attempt and a failure - that book mocking me on my bookshelf!

Good morning all! :goodvibes

We've talking about tracking what we eat and activity but we still haven't talked about what to eat which leads me to the QOTD with a little help from my friends at sparkpeople.com (nope, I can't coach without them :lmao:)

And speaking of food, do you know what 300 calories looks like?

300 calories look drastically different when you're eating in instead of dining out. Choosing healthier, more nutritious foods--at home and away--means you can eat much more food and still lose weight.

Breakfast: 300-Calorie Meals & Portions
Here are three morning meals that each weigh in at 300 calories. Healthy and quick homemade meals pack whole grains, fresh fruit, and protein--a filling combination that will keep you fuller longer. You could only eat a fraction of the comparable restaurant meals (right column) for the same number of calories. Get more healthy breakfast ideas here.

Bagel-Muffin.jpg

Eggs-Omlette.jpg

Waffles-Hotcakes.jpg

And what about lunch for 350 calories?

Pizza-Pizza.jpg

Or dinner for 400 calories?

Turkey-PotPie.jpg

These images are courtesy of a sparkpeople.com article. Here is a link if you would like to see the entire article, including more pictures of 350 and 400 calorie meals. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1260

Which leads me to the QOTD for Saturday, January 4, 2014: Are you surprised by how much (or little) you can eat for the calories, depending on which foods you choose? Do you have a meal that you enjoy that gives you a lot of bang for the calorie buck?

BBL with replies and an update to our numbers. It's so fun to see all these PMs and great numbers. :yay:

"QOTD January 3, 2014: What is the single best exercise for you? And what type of activity would you like to try? Is there any activity that you tried and you swear you will never do again?"

Single best exercise for me is walking. I get bored with routine but walking I can do anywhere and it doesn't "feel" like exercise (in the sweaty out of breath way).

I got a fitbit and walk walk walk.

One thing I tried and swore to never do again was hiking! It was torture. Though at almost 30 pounds lighter, I MAY try it again. :rotfl:

What kind of hiking was it? Maybe hiking in a different location? :confused3 Sounds like you are rocking your FitBit!

well I remembered to WI today..after I had eaten and got dressed so I hope the number is a little inflated b/c YIKES!! I gained 7 lbs since thanksgiving! crap!! so I have 30 lbs to lose this year

my favorite is also powerwalking...I can tune into my tunes and get in my groove and go. though lately I have really enjoyed my WATP (walk away the pounds) DVDs, I feel like they are hitting muscle groups that I had been neglecting. and it's a nice change from the dreadmill in the winter. exercise that I do not enjoy...hmmm..swimming. I just cannot breathe and swim! though in the summer I was taking my noodle and sorta swimming, looking like an old lady but hey I was moving

ok I admit, I have one more day of festivities with a friend tonight, then I will be logging into MFP and getting back to my exercising. I'm going to WDW in feb and I really want my 12s to be comfy and any weight I can lose will make the walking easier

Yep, I hear you on the dreadmill, Molli! :thumbsup2 I would rather walk in circles on the indoor track for hours than get on the TM. ::yes::

Hmm... I'm a big routine girl. If I don't have a plan for my workout before I start, I'm bound to fail. The workout I hated the most was yoga. I know some people swear by it, and I hope to one day use it for flexibility, but I've taken two yoga classes and between the sweat pouring off of me (so much so that I slipped on my yoga mat several times) and my total inability to relax while in a contorted position... they were both embarrassing disasters. Maybe someday, but definitely would never rely on it as a workout haha

I do love to run - I know so many runners who have been injured though, so I'm hoping that when I start running again, I'll take it slow and steady. :)

:rotfl: dreadmill. that's awesome. I'm definitely going to start calling it that!

Somehow it looks like I lost some weight this week! To be fair, the weigh-in that I used for the 1st was actually from Monday, but I'm happy to see that just not being at my old job has helped my weight loss.

You see - I used to work at a children's party place as an event planner. Let's just say that there was ALWAYS leftover pizza and cake. When you've been working for 8 hours and you forgot to bring lunch, and the pizza is there and free, and has extra cheese... I was almost on a strictly pizza diet for awhile!

With my new job, I'm in an office, far away from children's parties and far away from pizza and cake everyday. :cool1:

Sunday I start Power 90 and I'm really nervous! I've done it sporadically before, but never for the full 90 days. I'll be interested to see how long I last this time. ;)

Wishing everyone happy weigh-ins and hopefully no one is buried under too much snow! Here in NYC we have about 10 inches - and still coming in strong!

I've heard a lot of good things about Power 90 and that it is very intense. :cool2: You will have to keep us posted about how you like it.

You may want to check out Jeff Galloway, the RunDisney consultant, on his run/walk/run technique when you are ready to start running. He is all about running without injury. Here is a link to some info on the RunDisney site http://www.rundisney.com/training/running/

"QOTD January 3, 2014: What is the single best exercise for you? And what type of activity would you like to try? Is there any activity that you tried and you swear you will never do again? "

I really love spin. It is hard, and I can make it harder as time goes on. I want to try crossfit, I also want to start strength training. I wont do yoga again. I find it uesless.

Spinning sounds interesting for sure! ::yes::

To be honest the single best exercise for me is probably the elliptical or the amt. It is easiest on my joints, doesn't tweak the ligament/tendon issues in my feet and I lose weight faster when I am regularly hitting those machines. What do I like best--there is nothing like a long run when I am feeling good, but since I seem to be "broken" all the time lately, I have shortened my runs. I do yoga twice a week to keep things from hurting, and I have been running or walking at least a mile a day since Jan 1, 2013. I have tried zumba (I am very uncoordinated), barre (very painful :rotfl:) and different strength classes. I try to hit a strength class once a week--again don't enjoy it, but it is good for me. I occasionally pool run as well.

The one thing I do not do--swim. I am a terrible swimmer. I have contemplated lessons, but I have such an anxiety reaction just thinking about it that I decided probably not worth it!

To be honest, what I love most about exercising (no matter what it is) is how I feel afterwards. So I am able to get my butt to the gym since I know I am going to feel great (no matter how sore) when I finish. :goodvibes

:rotfl: I do yoga a couple times a week--and to be honest most of the time I am watching the clock the entire timing praying for it to be over. :lmao: But it keeps my from hurting all over and enables me to do many other things that I love, so I go and count the minutes until it's done. I will say I am more flexible at 46 than I was in high school--so I consider that a very good thing!

Down 1 pound! I am crediting that to the water I am forcing myself to drink. Hit the Y and did 30 min on the elliptical and 26 min on the indoor track. Did my planks, meditated and almost done with my water.

I am kind of dreading going back to work on Monday--mostly because of the weather. The highs are supposed to be below 0. I am not even sure my car will start when it's that cold. It was 5 this morning when I went to the gym and it wasn't overly happy. So thankful that at least the sun is shining today.:goodvibes

Have a great day!

Hope the weather is warmer than they predict new week, Rose. :sunny:

The best exercise for me seems to be running, but outside, not on the 'dreadmill' (haha, love that!). Look forward to my parkrun every Saturday morning, and can't wait for lighter nights so that I can start runnig outside again on my own......OH is happy to come with me, but I slow him down, and I also kinda like being on my own a bit. I'm also really enjoying zumba....the tutor is not a serious person, she likes us to have a laugh doing silly poses and stuff and the hour passes in no time at all.

I would like to try spinning I think, but I never manage to get booked onto a class at the gym. By the time I log on to book, all of the places are gone and there are usually about 20 on the waitlist! All of this only 5 minutes after booking has opened....guess it's very popular! There are 40 bikes too, but always full.

As for something I've done but don't want to try again......any of the weights at the gym....I just find it soooo boring!

Weight was the same this morning, but as Lisa said, it's only been 3 days, so I'm not stressing yet, hope to see a big improvement by next Friday though!!

Yep, we have to be patient on these short weigh ins. :hippie:

Will be back after my run to finish up the replies. Happy Saturday! :yay:

Good morning all. Had a two hour delay at work this morning and got some calories burning by digging out our driveway so that I could pull out. We went out and shoveled last night but we must have decided to go out right in the middle of the storm because I still had to shovel 4-5 inches this morning! Snow on the ground means it's back into the gym to use the treadmill for me as my outdoor route doesn't have any sidewalks and the road doesn't have very much of a shoulder and it's now covered in the plowed snow.:sad2:

The two exercises for me are definitely running and powerlifting to a degree. I have always enjoyed doing weights but since I started doing powerlifts (squats, deadlift, bench press), I have fallen in love with it even more and almost have trouble with just using machines now because it just doesn't feel the same. It is such a confidence booster to squat 100+ pounds. ::yes:: It also helps when the men in the free weight area tell me that my form is better than most of the men who lift there.

My boyfriend bought me a small kettlebell for christmas so I guess that is one thing I would like to try. I need to go to the store and see if I can find a good dvd to try it with.

As far as one activity that I really just do not like, I'm going to add another slash in the swimming column. I cannot imagine just swimming laps for fitness. I always dreaded pool week in gym in high school; I'm just not very good at it and don't enjoy it at all.

I'm sure all that strength training helped with the snow shovelng, Bryana. :goodvibes:

Thanks for all the responses about the FitBit. When i have time, I'll go back and search through previous threads. Now I just have to decide between the Zip and the Flex. I'm leaning towards the Zip because 1) it's cheaper and 2) the only difference between the 2 models seems to be the sleep tracking ability and I'm not really sure I need that.

QOTD: Well, since I've always hated exercise, I'm probably the wrong person to ask. :rotfl:

I enjoy power walking and that is my current exercise of choice. I would like to eventually work up to running but not sure how my knees will like that.

I hated Zumba. I felt totally lost the entire time and the instructor never explained what she was doing. The class all seemed to be able to follow along without her saying anything. I could not. I need some sort of instruction or "we're going to grapevine to the left" or something. It just did not work for me.

My goal for the day is to get MFP up and running. I'll post my user name once I have it figured out.

I haven't tried Zumba yet myself but it does intrigue me. :cool2:

I read on FB that MFP was having some technical problems because of all the folks getting started with their New Year so keep trying if you have trouble getting set up. They have an app for your phone, too, if you have a smartphone.

I liked cardio/step classes but I feel like these classes have gone the way of the dodo bird.

I belong to a fitness club but everything seems either strength training with weights (which I know I should do, but I hate it and I find these classes intimidating because I am such a weakling) or Pilates (which I also hate). I guess you figured out that I don't go "clubbing" very often. :lmao:

I tried a Zumba class two years ago and threw out my back. So I'm not interested in trying that anytime soon.

Gosh, there is no activity that I would like to try.

Hmm, maybe time to look for a different club that has some things that you like to do? You are right I haven't seen a step class in a long time. :scratchin

QOTD - the best exercise for me might not be my favorite. I love running (never thought I'd say that, but I do!), but I think the best type of exercise for losing weight for me is high intensity interval training...I've had a lot of success with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and am thinking about trying Power 90 for something longer-haul. After Dopey, I think I'm going to run a little less (at least while it's super cold) and work the interval training back in for a while.

Kami, I have a FitBit Flex, which I loved for the sleep tracking as well as the step tracking. But the thing stopped charging after three months - just wouldn't even pretend to charge in the charging cradle! I contacted them, and they were great about it - sent me a FedEx return label and are shipping me a replacement now. So if something does go south, at least you're not left hanging. I'm just sorry to miss time with it, especially as I don't think the replacement will be here before I go to Dopey next week! :(

Also, I wanted to tell you that my DH is also T1D. My Dopey fundraising has been for JDRF, and I bet you and he would have lots to talk about! He was diagnosed at 11 and now uses the OmniPod system as well as continuous glucose monitor.

Back to work for me - I don't have a scale here, so I may skip the optional WI today...hope everyone has a great weekend!

XO
Liz

Glad that you made it Philly safely, Liz! :flower3: By this time next week you will almost be Dopey. :dopey:

Swimming. I spend a lot of time doing the weight machines and free weights and my aerobic is either the elliptical (which I love) or biking to work but I need to incorporate more swimming in to the aerobic part like maybe lifting weights, then swimming after for my aerobic. It's just hard to time it so you get a lane, there's classes and swim team and just busy times when you have to share a lane and I don't like to do that because I just back stroke. I've started using weights though for when that happens and I just tread water and that helps. I got into weight lifting because I figure that's the only way I'm going to stay looking good in my 40's and I also like the added benefit of being strong!

I would love to try zumba or spinning but my gym doesn't offer spinning and I have too messed up of a weekly schedule to do any class.

I jogged when I was a teen but I'm just never going to go that route again, the races are too expensive for me and I'm self conscious, top heavy and have heard too much bad stuff on how hard it is on the body.

It is good to be strong for sure, Susan! ::yes::

Oh yes, absolutely! I use MFP now, have for years. I used SparkPeople when I lost weight back in 2008-2009. If I don't track, I don't feel like I am on track. I guess i need those numbers for reinforcement. One of the reasons I love my Bodymedia armband!

Well, my weight is the same so I won't send a weigh-in and clog up your inbox! Good news though, I had my second check-up with my Dr since I started getting serious about my health (started seeing the Dr in Oct). I "only" lost 8 lbs in Dec, but I lost 13 lbs of fat (according to the the body composition machine they use which measures body fat vs. lean body mass)! :banana: I wasn't expecting that so it was good news

As for exercise, this is a hard question to answer... I feel great after zumba class, but I love hiking Tumamoc Hill which I think is even better for me because I do it with my BFF and we get to spend some greeat time together! Also, I used to do the elliptical at the Y, and if I could motivate myself to do this I would have more opportunity to exercise when I can't get to class.

I really hate the dreadmill as well! Which sucks because this is the only piece of equipment we have at home. I do want to start running when I get to a bit healthier weight (so it is not so hard on my joints). I would LOVE to run a Disney marathon someday! :love:

Wow, you can really tell that it is January! Miss a day and I am WAY behind on reading and replies! So awesome to see everyone here!

Congrats on a great check in with the doctor, Amanda! :yay:

Hello to all! I am back for January 2014 after lurking quite a bit over the past several months. I have a heavy work/school load as I do both full-time, so things got away from me for a bit. However, this next (and LAST!!) semester is a lot easier, so I will be able to exercise a ton and meet my goal, which is to go to Disney at a healthy weight in October 2014. Great to see that many of us are off to good starts for the new year. I do have a loss over the brief start-up period, probably because I have spent a lot of time exercising over the past couple of days. With no school for two more weeks, I can do that!

Unlike several others, swimming is my go-to exercise. I have always been more comfortable in water than on land. I do use ellipticals, treadmills, and recumbent bikes at the gym as well, but I truly enjoy swimming most. I know I need to start some kind of strength program but I do dread that as I don't enjoy it or really know how it works. Plus our weight room at the university is completely filled with male athletes who are terrifying and I don't want anything to do with that. They opened up a fitness room for ladies this semester with some minimal weights and the like, so maybe I will try that next month.

:welcome: back! I do love to swim myself! :fish: Scary, grunting men are not very conducive to enjoy a workout for sure. :lmao:

I am already a day behind! So pretend I posted this yesterday :rolleyes1

:rotfl:

:wave2:

Going with B-- depends on the person. I really hate tracking. I do it occasionally but usually end up giving up because it annoys me so much. I like MFP and SparkPeople and seeing the numbers for everything and the percent of fat/carbs/calories etc. But I get frustrated that numbers can vary so much depending on which entry you choose. And I start rationalizing things. "If I eat this candy bar and then skip dinner then I will stay under on my numbers." Not a good way to eat healthy!

I do best if I stick with the idea of limiting carbs and "junk" and just focus on the healthy things in appropriate portions, rather than tracking every number.

LOVE my FitBit! I have a ONE that stays in my pocket or clipped to my waistband. I thought about getting a Flex but I don't think I would like it on my wrist. And I move my arms a lot with my job and I read that it can affect your numbers. I have used mine to track my sleep a few times and it really was interesting to see how much I move/wake up during the night.

I was using it with MFP but I didn't like that it would adjust my upper calorie limit up based on my FitBit activity number. I like to keep my numbers constant and have to for the plan I am using. It messed with my head that the number would change every day. I switched to Spark People and had better luck with it. It also syncs with the FB but doesn't mess with my total numbers. I also got the FitBit Aria scale and love it!

I would love to see what we do at WDW. I may have DH keep my FitBit on him and see what each day looks like. I use a scooter so it won't do much good if I am wearing it!

That is also one of my major frustrations with tracking. We also do mostly homecooked meals too and it is a pain to have to enter nearly every recipe online, especially since often we don't really follow the recipe.

I think my number is the same so I will wait until next week to WI.

So, I don't exercise *hangs head in shame* :worried: I hate exercise. I hate all exercise. I hate to sweat. If you held a gun to my head and told me I had to pick something I would pick swimming. LOVE the water. I love to swim laps and love the peace of the water.

Because if my physical issues with my hip and feet walking and running are out for me as is anything that involves being on my feet. Haven't swam laps in a long time so not sure if I would still be able to do that.

I did buy a Walk Away the Pounds DVD when I was doing BL here and it didn't totally suck. I could do a little of it and modify some of it to make it work for me. But I lost the flippin DVD. :furious:

I do think that exercise is important and I keep reminding myself I need to at least pick up my hand weights and do some strength and toning for my arms, and I really need to do somethings to strengthen my core. I try to walk extra during the day when I can. Some days I can't really get a way from my desk but when I do I try to take the long way 'round to get where I am going.

Glad you made it!

Had a good day yesterday and most of today. One thing that has really helped me this year is that our school got a new food service company. The food quality and variety has really improved and they make pretty good salads. We can order a custom salad in the morning and pick it up at lunch so I don't have to worry as much about not having time to make lunch. And with Medifast I always have a variety of things in my desk that I can make if there are no other options.

Just got back from picking DD up from a party and now am exhausted all the sudden. I am a little hungry too-- I ate dinner pretty early. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!) I have had to give up all after dinner/late night snacking. I take my thyroid meds at bedtime and can't eat 2-3 hours before taking them. Also I need to avoid soy before taking them and most of the medifast foods are soy based so I have to plan to have all of those foods no later than about 7pm. I think this is another thing that has helped with my weight loss though. I used to have a snack in the evening and go to bed "full". Now I have a bit of an empty feeling most nights but as I learned during the BL challenge before "Hunger is NOT an emergency!". I remind myself that empty feeling probably means that my body is fueling with the fat stores and not the fat in food I just ate. If it gets bad I drink a glass of water.

:cheer2:Everyone have a great ON PLAN weekend! Saturday and Sunday maybe days off of work for many, but they are not days off of being healthy!:cheer2:

Great reminder, LTS! :thumbsup2 Sounds like you are active and the FitBit helps you to see that -- being active is much more important than any defined type of exercise for sure!

I'm at 8lbs since Thanksgiving so I'm right there with ya!! I'm hoping that comes of quickly since it went on quickly - lots of not normal eating those last 2 weeks of the holidays.

QOTD: definitely love my treadmill. It's the only time I get to watch my "shows". I don't watch tv unless on the treeadill so I'm often very excited to have an hour to watch something on Netflix, hulu, dvr etc. I do incline and mix up the speeds some. I HATE running - my bladder can't handle it :laughing: for a long time but I can do 10 min at a time then walk incline which actually burned just as much calories at a much slower pace.

I'd like to start weight training. I know it works wonders and have seen several ladies start it and have great toned bodies - not big just long and lean.

I'd love to do the P90 thing too. I have the original - I need to dust that off I guess.

--------------

Had a few snacks today and ended up and Chuck E Cheese. At least it's paper thin pizza so not horrific I guess.

Skipped dinner (to make up for the pizza and snacks) and made my Superfood smoothie of Goji berries, banana, cacao, chia, hemp, cinnamon and almond milk. It tastes a bit like a mocha coffee drink. I'm not a coffee drinker so that's what I imagine it tested like.

I need to come up with some healthy dinners. I'm in a rut! I was tempted to buy the Super Shred book. I like that guy (forget his name- dr ian?). BUt I feel like it will be one more wasted attempt and a failure - that book mocking me on my bookshelf!

Have you looked at the Biggest Loser Recipe thread here?

Can you get the book at the library? That way you can try it out and see if you like it before you buy it.

Which leads me to the QOTD for Saturday, January 4, 2014: Are you surprised by how much (or little) you can eat for the calories, depending on which foods you choose? Do you have a meal that you enjoy that gives you a lot of bang for the calorie buck?

Salad! I love salad and eat it several times a week. I am not a very "adventurous" salad eater so i keep it pretty simple. My usual salad is lettuce (usually iceberg), cucumber, tomato, mushrooms and some protein, usually leftover grilled chicken or steak. I keep preportioned baggies of leftover meat in the freezer so it is quick and easy to grab. Some days I put a little low fat cheese on it. If I have spinach I like to add that too. Of course the problem is always the added calories and fat from the dressing but I have been using the Bolthouse Greek Yogurt Ranch and LOVE it! Salad keeps me filled up for quite a while and for the most part the veggies I use are very low in calories and carbs.

Mmmmmm, now I want a salad for lunch!

"Which leads me to the QOTD for Saturday, January 4, 2014: Are you surprised by how much (or little) you can eat for the calories, depending on which foods you choose? Do you have a meal that you enjoy that gives you a lot of bang for the calorie buck?"

I am often surprised with cheese how little I can have for the amount of calories. But veggies are like insane amounts for so little calories. I can fill myself up on broccoli and only eat like 100 calories.

I love this board. I love having others who are losing weight/getting healthy in part with disney in mind.

I totally pictured epcot in my mind while I was racing in spin this morning, it made the sprints SO much easier!!

"Which leads me to the QOTD for Saturday, January 4, 2014: Are you surprised by how much (or little) you can eat for the calories, depending on which foods you choose? Do you have a meal that you enjoy that gives you a lot of bang for the calorie buck?"

Hmm. Here is my major problem with losing weight and exercising. I have to exercise in the mornings or I literally don't have any other time during the day to do so. I have serious stomach sensitivity and some acid reflux, so if I don't have some kind of starch in the mornings, or before a workout, I can't make it my train ride into work without getting off every stop to make sure I'm not gonna puke. :sad:

My normal breakfast is a bowl of Cheerios, a banana and a Nutri-grain bar. Over the years, I've attempted to replace that Nutri-grain bar with something starchy that, well... isn't as bad for you as a Nutrigrain bar haha

I've had very little luck - open to suggestions, though!

When I work out in the morning, I can't have all of that beforehand because then I'm doing crunches with a full stomach, which doesn't feel so hot. =/ So, I try and eat the Nutrigrain bar and one or two of those mini muffins from Entemanns that come in packs of 4. And then after my workout and shower, I have the bowl of cereal with banana. I know I need to eat a little bit more to not just be dieting but to be dieting and exercising, but it feels counterproductive when I'm putting in such a big breakfast every day into Weight Watchers.

What do you guys eat for breakfast every day? OR rather, what do you eat before a morning workout? Anyone else need something starchy in order to go about their day?

In terms of something that fills me up that is low on the calorie and points scale, I have 6 wheat things and a wedge of laughing cow light cheese. They come in pre-cut, individually wrapped wedges, and they are one point. I LOVE cheese, and spreading it on those 6 wheat thins crackers for a 2 point snack is amazing to me.

I love this board. I love having others who are losing weight/getting healthy in part with disney in mind.

Me too! I love it! This is the first time I've been a part of a board like this while trying to stay healthy and I have to stay, it keeps health on my mind more often and is keeping me very motivated!! Thanks everyone!

I think I have some scale issues. I've never liked my scale and never really trusted my weights on it. I weighed in on Wed. morning at 207. Weighed in this morning at 201. Now, I know I've been good but there is no way I have lost that much weight in 3 days. I'm going out today to buy a new scale and get my FitBit. I'll weigh in tomorrow morning and let you know where I am.

Also I splurged on my breakfast this morning but I am determined to get back on track the rest of the day. Wish me luck!

[QUOTE/]
Salad! I love salad and eat it several times a week. I am not a very "adventurous" salad eater so i keep it pretty simple. My usual salad is lettuce (usually iceberg), cucumber, tomato, mushrooms and some protein, usually leftover grilled chicken or steak. I keep preportioned baggies of leftover meat in the freezer so it is quick and easy to grab. Some days I put a little low fat cheese on it. If I have spinach I like to add that too. Of course the problem is always the added calories and fat from the dressing but I have been using the Bolthouse Greek Yogurt Ranch and LOVE it! Salad keeps me filled up for quite a while and for the most part the veggies I use are very low in calories and carbs.

Mmmmmm, now I want a salad for lunch![/QUOTE]

Salad is my go to food as well. I've got to try that Bolthouse dressing. I dearly love ranch dressing but I've been avoiding it because of the calories.

I also love the idea of keeping salad meat in the freezer for easy grab and go. Will have to try this as well.

Salad is my go to food as well. I've got to try that Bolthouse dressing. I dearly love ranch dressing but I've been avoiding it because of the calories.

I also love the idea of keeping salad meat in the freezer for easy grab and go. Will have to try this as well.

One thing that is also awesome for salads (which I think I learned about here) is to make "Salad in a Jar" http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/how-to-make-salad-in-a-jar-2 I usually don't actually put the whole thing together in one jar but just chop up my lettuce ( I use iceberg) on the weekend, fill jars with the lettuce and vacuum seal them. I have had lettuce remain green and fresh for 2 weeks this way! The only problem I had was that the family now wants me to make jars for them. :)

I will chop up my other ingredients every few days. Cucumber, tomato and mushrooms don't really keep well after a few days. And I keep a bottle of salad dressing at work so I don't need to have the dressing in the jar.

The Bolthouse dressing is found in the Produce section with the other jarred dressings. A lot of people also love the Salsa Ranch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter