WISH Away the Pounds--January 2013 challenge--Everyone Welcome!

Discussion in 'W.I.S.H' started by Rose&Mike, Dec 28, 2012.

1. 50sjayne

50sjayne DIS Veteran

I'm doing good to get one serving of fruit or veggie a day in. I know-- not good but this is actually up a lot from recent years. I'm thinking more raw veggies with a dip at night for snacks....

Along with other peoples ideas I also think people are so limited in disciplining their children these days and afraid to upset them-- they are far too lenient with them and let them indulge.

Incoprorating more exercise--I've been riding my bike to work the last year or so intermittently--it's a 1/2 hour ride so I guess that would be the quirky part. Doing kegel exercises in the jacuzzi or at stop lights or whenever I have to do something like wait in line....
    I'm a Disneyland girl-- don't know a lot about the World so can't answer.

Ow!

Isn't this the truth....I remember being out of the house until dark as well most nights.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pjlla

pjlla DIS Veteran

Best of luck on your exam!

Walking is just fine!

Glad you were down a pound, even on the wrong day! :) we had the free premium channels this weekend as well and I was so unimpressed! I only quoins 3movies that interested me enough to bother recording them.

Evening friends! Here I am at the Y. Roads weren't bad once I got out of my town. I think we ended up with about 4-5 inches of snow.

Can I get a WoooHoo on a double workout day? :woohoo: I ended up putting on my exercise clothes and doing another hour on the TM here tonight! Kind of makes up for yesterday's lousy run attempt.::yes::

I'll say good night for now and promise to be back in the morning!........P

4. Rose&Mike

Rose&Mike DIS Veteran

Just popping in to say hi. The first page is updated. :)

I ran my mile for the day and did a 50 min strength class. I was feeling very beat up so not the best class. I am at 16/365 for my one mile run challenge.

Hope everyone has a great evening. :)

5. Mary•Poppins

Mary•Poppins DIS Veteran

Mine is walking my students to and from class. My uppergrades usually come on their own but I have been trying to meet them and walk the building to pick them up. This is a hard one since I usually use those precious 5 minutes for planning at times. This makes me stay later at school ... but not too much longer.

bonus: I think it would depend on who I was with. My sons don't like Epcot but I think my husband would love it ... especially since he could have a beer!

6. lovetoscrap

lovetoscrap Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there. Moderator

:wave2:
    I had all sorts of wonderful and witty replies that I was working on as I read back but then I had to take DD12 to the Urgent Care so now I am just doing a fly by few responses and check in.

Nothing quirky- just the same old things you wrote. Unless you count "Use the bathroom in a further away hall" as quirky? Depending on how much water I have had that can turn into quite a workout!

As for the bonus question, I just don't think I can answer that! I guess if you forced me to make a decision I would pick AK but I love Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo and the Safari and Kali River Rapids and Dinosaur and . .
    Yeah, forget it. If I can't hit all 4 parks there is no point in even going-- I love them all! I think the only thing that I might consider skipping would be World Showcase. I love it but could skip it for one trip I think.

Your report had me drooling with jealousy! Sounds like such a great trip and you were able to have your fun but keep it in control.

Are you taking a good multi vitamin? Have you had your Vitamin D checked?

Agree with pjlla- you should get your bump on the head checked out. Concussions are not anything you want to ignore. :hug:

So DD is fine. She has been complaining her wrist hurts for about a week. We bought a brace at the drug store and she has been wearing it round the clock and putting ice on it but it isn't getting better. i was really avoiding going to the Dr office because the flu is really bad here. Decided tonight we should really have it checked to be sure nothing major is going on. No fracture or break so that is a relief. They just said it is probably sprained and keep wearing the brace. And we tried not to touch anything while we were at the Urgent Care!

Coworkers want me to pick where we get lunch from on Friday since I didn't participate last week. :rolleyes: They just aren't going to get that with my food sensitivities, focus on not eating much processed food and need to eat healthy I am not really interested in ordering food out unless I just have no other choice.:headache: I will have to just pick somewhere with a decent salad choice which really limits things and I hate to spend $6-8 on a salad when I have everything I need for a salad at home for much cheaper! But I do love them and love working with them so I will just :teeth: and go along with it as best as I can.

Time to head to bed so I can try to be asleep by a decent time. Everyone have a great healthy and on plan day tomorrow! :cheer2:

7. araes2102

araes2102 Mouseketeer

:thumbsup2 Awesome job both of you! :thumbsup2

8. tarzansmom

tarzansmom I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

QOTD: for the first time ever I actually have some time to myself so plenty of time to exercise just struggle to get motivated some days. I wish I could find a job but in today's market there just isn't much available.

As for the bonus question I enjoy all the parks but if I could only hit three I would skip animal kingdom.

9. tarzansmom

tarzansmom I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

I do the hula hoop thing too while i am washing dishes each night.

10. Rose&Mike

Rose&Mike DIS Veteran

I would probably skip AK, though I do love it.

And now that marathon weekend is over I am sooooo excited to get back to my regular exercise plan that I am building my week around my workouts. :) But I don't have any kids at home to take care of, so it is easy for me to do that. I have a huge amount of respect for everyone who juggles the crazy schedules! You all are awesome!

That is so sweet! :)

Just to clarify, in theory you can submit your weight at any time, BUT I am attempting to only update on Sunday or Monday evenings. :)

Glad she is ok. The lunch thing is tough. :hug: It is awesome that your coworkers want to include you, but I get why it is so hard.

Thanks!

Have you tried volunteering? It helps you to network and keeps your resume current. I had not worked in many years and when my DS went to college I volunteered for a non-profit and within a month was offered a full time job. I ended up job sharing and have been there since 2009, so this was during the height of the recession. Good luck!

I was so tired last night. I went to bed at 7:30 last night and didn't get up until 6:00! Off to run my mile and do some yoga.

I still plan on typing up a mini race report. :)

Have a great Thursday! Drink your water, get your exercise and make good choices! :)

11. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

Good morning!

I was looking over the posts and considering the "hydroflask".

Also does anyone use a food scale? I think we need one. Our portions need to be reigned in. Where do you guys shop for the little things that help you out?

I am celebrating successes! I upped my fruit and veggies yesterday. That is big for us and a step in the right direction.:goodvibes

As far as "quirky" ways to exercise. Stretching after the shower with my leg up on the counter. I have plantar faciitis and am TRYING to get those muscles to loosen up. My flexibility was always bad and now it is worse due to back injuries.

I would love nothing more than to go GUNGHO on exercise but I am limited, which sucks.

I have to force myself to go slow, which is really hard for me.

12. Flossbolna

Flossbolna Sea days are just so relaxing!

Yes, I have one. It's a digital one and it is precise down to 1 gramm (I live in Europe, so I am on the metric system). I could not imagine living without ist anymore. It's the best way to control portion sizes and keep accurate track of the calories I am eating.

13. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

Our problem is MEAT. We are watching SAT FAT and this is something that we cannot afford to "guess" on. My dh needs to get used to correct portions.

Thanks!

14. lisah0711

lisah0711 <font color=red>♥ <font color=royalblue>her Disney

Good morning all! :goodvibes

I have a standing workstation at the office. I try to use it at least an hour every work day. It's taken some time to get used to it but it does feel good to stand instead of sit all day.

I ended up skipping both DHS and AK this trip to WDW simply because of time.

Quicklabs, glad that you had a great time on your trip! :smickey:

Trina, hope you get your mojo back soon! :flower3:

LTS, hope your DD is feeling better! :flower3:

Pamela, thanks for coaching this week! :flower3:

And speaking of coaching, Rose has kindly let me recruit coaches for next month's challenge on her thread. :thanks: So if you have ever considered coaching and would like to give it a try please PM me. These are the weeks that are available:

2/1-2/7
    2/8-2/14 Flossbolna
    2/15-2/21 jillbur (Jill)
    2/22-2/28

Have a great day all!

15. pjlla

pjlla DIS Veteran

I do love me a good beer (or two ;)) while in Epcot! :cool1:

You need to tell them JUST what you told us. THANKS BUT NO THANKS! Let them know that you are PERFECTLY CONTENT with your own lunches and you would be happy to sit with them and be social, but you aren't interested in ordering out! You could blame the IBS, the healthy eating thing, the budget.... whatever you want. How very nice of them to try to be sure to include you, but they need to understand that you aren't going to feel "left out" if you don't get to pick!!

Sorry that the job market is causing you difficulties. How about something like temp work or substitute teaching? It isn't ideal and I"m not sure how it would work with regards to unemployment pay, but it is something to consider.

You obviously needed the extra sleep! Can't wait to read the race report. Don't be too hard on yourself in it.

I love, love, LOVE my food scale! I use it virtually EVERY SINGLE DAY! It is a Taylor brand that came from Target a few years ago. Cost about $50, but worth every penny. I weigh nearly EVERYTHING other than liquids (salad dressing, oil). I weigh in grams as well because it is more accurate than ounces. The scale I have easily switches back and forth with one button. It keeps me SO MUCH MORE HONEST than using measuring cups. I would HIGHLY recommend it to EVERYONE HERE! I will often put it at my place setting at the dinner table in order to weigh my protein portions. I keep a little ceramic cup in the drawer with it for things like shredded cheese.

I'd be happy to be a "fill-in" coach if needed, but I hesitate to sign up for another week because I want to give others a chance!!

Happy sunny Thursday everyone!!:sunny:

Feeling really pumped after yesterday's double workout, but the scale was not so great today. Thankfully TOMORROW is my official weigh-in day, so today I will concentrate on hydration, reduced sodium, and lots of fruits, veggies, and fiber!

No work for me today!! They didn't call, but I probably wouldn't have been able to work anyhow, as I have to pick up DD at 1:25 for an eye appointment.... contact lens fitting!! I think she is excited. I encouraged her to get glasses, but she absolutely hated herself in every single pair she tried on. I ADORE my contacts, so it would be hard for me to insist on glasses. Hopefully she keeps better control of them than she did her retainer.... which is missing at the moment!:confused3

Laundry is caught up, so I can skip that today!! I sorted the recycling last night, so another thing to skip today! I did NOT end up making the turkey soup last night, so that is tonight's dinner so that will be easy. Today the Christmas tree goes out the door, NO MATTER WHAT!:thumbsup2 And I MUST begin my online training for my new job and get in 30 minutes of exercise. If those things get done by the time I leave here at 1pm, I will be satisfied with my day.

Off to post the QOTD and get the ornaments off the tree!!............P

16. PlutoBaby

PlutoBaby Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Hi everybody! :wave2: I just found this thread the other day so I'm a bit late jumping in. I have 9 pounds to go to hit my goal weight and hope to be there by May. My weight loss has been notoriously slow, but at least those numbers usually keep going in the right direction! :thumbsup2 I'll just be lurking for now but if this continues in February, I'm in! :cool1: nice work everyone!:banana:

17. pjlla

pjlla DIS Veteran

QOTD for Thursday, January 17, 2013:

Tell me a story about your life using as many smilies as possible (well... limit 25 or the post won't go!)!

Here is my example:

Today I don't have to :teacher: or do :laundy: I definitely won't spend the day today :happytv: or eating :cake: . I will definitely be in the :car: tonight, driving DD to the eye doctor and then to swim.

My:cat: is ready to go out and chase a :squirrel: so I need to get off the :surfweb: and get on with my day!

I :love: you all and hope you have a day filled with pixiedust:

BONUS QOTD:

What kind of changes are you making in your KITCHEN to make it as conducive to healthy eating as possible?? ..............P

18. pjlla

pjlla DIS Veteran

WELCOME! So glad to have you! Take a moment to read page one and then hop right on in!! You can start with the QOTD if you would like!.......P

19. PlutoBaby

PlutoBaby Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Thanks for the shout out! :love: I see a few of my fave peeps on here from the exercise thread so ola chicas!:wave:

So I'm:surfweb: at work wishing I could :teleport: to :smickey: where I could party: and puckerup: and :woohoo: with all my fave :rainbow:!!

BONUS QOTD: The only thing I can do to make my kitchen healthier would be to make the DH stop doing the grocery shopping!!! :eek::eek: (He's home more often than I am so he likes to get everything done so I don't have to :love:) but he REFUSES to not buy junk food. I don't have a problem not eating all the crap, but it would be so nice to open my pantry and not see chips, fruit rollups, cookies, etc. I would give anything to be able to chuck it all in the trash but he'd have a :scared1:!!

20. BernardandMissBianca

BernardandMissBianca <font color=red>I just love a dancing banana!<br>< Moderator

Will answer QOTD when I'm home. Don't know how to smilies on my phone.
    Having a good day so far today. Hit the grocery for some essentials and picked up some fruit for me and the kids and some apple cinnamon rice cakes, love those. Also picked up 3 flats of water for DS16.
    Need to run over to Target for Brita filters so I can start using that again.
    Lunch at panera today, god choices. Unsweetened iced tea, chicken soup, 1/2 turkey sandwich (no mayo) and an apple. Total 330 calories. Apple pushed me slightly above my allotment for lunch but frankly I'm so full I doubt I'll have a snack. For 4 servings of water in today too.

Quick question about dinner. We are having tacos, how do I keep it low cal? I was thinking about making 2 dishes, one with beef and one with turkey, but the kids are all going to want beef so I might have to make 2 beef and one turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

21. ColoradoLime

ColoradoLime Pure Disney Lover

Happy Thursday everyone!!

I'm having a :furious: week at work...so ready for the weekend!! :banana: It's been bitter cold here this week and finally warming up a bit - going from 9 degrees to 50, yesterday felt like a day at the :beach:.

This weekend will consist of a lot of :happytv: and :laundry:, and also some more :smickey: planning!! We told the kids last weekend that we were going and they were both like :woohoo:! I can't wait for it to be Disney time!

Regarding the changes in my kitchen - Something I saw on The Biggest Loser over the weekend really hit home. The nutritionist that went to the kids home threw out all the junk, which I know is what you should do. Then she said that it's ok to have that type of food once in awhile and on special occassions, yes I know this too, but what struck a chord with me was when she said "it just should be in the home" - a lightbulb went off over my head.

This was one of those things that I've known all along but for whatever reason I never paid attention to and just didn't think about it. We're going big grocery shopping this weekend and I"ll be keeping this in mind. No more ice cream at home, just because, or potato chips because we need something to snack on. I think this will help a lot when it comes to sticking to my plan.