WISH Away the Pounds *~*Fabulous February Challenge*~* Everyone Welcome <3

Happy Wednesday, everyone! Hope everyone is staying safe and warm in this crazy weather!

I'm definitely low on sleep this week, but yesterday I went to dinner with my friend and she was SO amazed with my results - I didn't think it was that noticeable, since I saw her about a month ago, so that felt good! We went to Subway to pick up sandwiches, even though her mother tried to plow us with spaghetti and meatballs haha It was tempting, but I love me a Veggie Delite foot long - plus I get to eat the other half for lunch today! :cool1:

I watched the Biggest Loser finale last night - anyone else think the winner, Rachel, was just TOO skinny? Looks like she lost a lot of muscle since the last time we saw her... Shouldn't there be some kind of negativity to losing TOO much weight? Even Jillian seemed shocked... in a bad way haha

Today's a slow day at work, as I'm sure most of our clients took the day off to avoid the weather. So as soon as I finish here, I'll be spending most of the day looking for a job!!

I've also been trying to set goals for myself each month until my birthday (June 1st) to get to a better me. There's a bunch of things I've been meaning to change about myself - nothing drastic, just little things, like I have been meaning to go to a dermatologist for forever because I have adult acne and dry skin that breaks out at the slightest touch of lotion. So, last month's goal was to start a weight loss routine and stick with it, and I did it!

This month's goal is to start an acne routine - based on the stuff I was prescribed at my derm appt yesterday - and to take better care of my teeth! I had a drugstore party yesterday and got stuff for my skin, and then new toothpaste, a mouthwash, and some lovely floss. :) In March, I might kick it up a notch and get some of those whitening strips, but we'll see. Anyone have any experience with whitening their teeth using OTC products?

Tomorrow is National Frozen Yogurt Day! What happens if you freeze greek yogurt? Does it taste good? I'm thinking about freezing my strawberry yogurt for tomorrow for an hour and making kinda a slushy one? Does that make it worse for you? :confused3 Thoughts?

I realized that I need to SPEAK UP and ask for help. I always try to be the supermom/wife and do everything, but I am not going to be able to and take care of myself.

WAY TO GO! :thumbsup2 That's AWESOME! So proud of you for taking a stand. You're definitely on the right path!

Then home for a quick change and heading out to my meeting. Looking forward to the Biggest Loser Finale tonight!! .....................P

Hope your meeting went well! Curious to hear what you thought about the finale!

A BIG :thanks: to everyone who has stepped up to coach! I slotted Michelle in for 2/11-2/15 since she doesn't have a home computer (you can always post the QOTD for 2/15 on the day before, or if you can't... I can take care of it because I will be home! And Pamela, I slotted you in for 2/16- 2/20. I also slotted willonlyflytodisney in for 2/21-2/25. So we almost have the month covered! Please let me know if there need to be any changes or I got something wrong!

Thanks, Amanda! So excited to coach!

In other news... I am officially shaving my head for the fourth time through St. Baldricks Foundation!

Sounds like such an amazing foundation! That's such an incredible thing to do once - let alone more than several times! What an inspiration. :cheer2:

d7f393c55b4ccd28edf16b8156e4718e_zps56a78895.jpg

Holy crud! Where do you live? You poor thing!

Went to the DMV to get new licenses. It made me feel good comparing the picture on my old one to the picture on my new one. I'm about 30 pounds lighter now and I see a real difference. I'm also smiling in the new one, because I feel so good lately.

That's AWESOME! What a great way to track your progress. You should be incredibly proud!!!

So how did you do on Superbowl Sunday? I should've brought my own food to the party we went to. Well technically I did bring food, chili, caramelized onion and bacon dip and homemade cornbread. Only thing is I'm not at a point yet where I should be eating beans or cornbread and I didn't bring anything with me that's on the "allowed" list.

Well, I brought my own tortillas and my own low-fat cheese, and ate really light during the day. When I got there, the food was nowhere near ready, but there were apps out, so I filled up a bit on grapes and some light crackers. When the meat was ready, I was HUNGRY. I realized since my schedule was all off that day, I had forgotten to eat lunch, so I made two burritos, when I really should have eaten just one. But, overall, it didn't go too much over my points, since I filled most of it with lettuce and tomatoes. And the next day, I was right back OP.

It feels strange to feel so comfortable "splurging" simply because the way I used to eat, I would have had two, filled with rice, meat, guac, sour cream, and salsa, and then maybe some tomatoes or lettuce. I also would have eaten chips and salsa and guac beforehand, just because they were there. So, splurging on two burritos that are much healthier than the way I used to eat feels okay - mostly because I know the next day, I'm going to get up, work out, and stay OP.

My cousin, who is a WW leader, says that life is short, but it is filled with too many delicious things to not to go off plan every once in awhile. And I believe she's right, as long as I'm not eating an entire chocolate cake LOL

But I am very determined that 2014 is going to be the year when I finally make it to my goal - which is the weight I managed to go down to in my college years! It can't be that difficult!!!

:cheer2: You got this!

I'm Lisa and I will be your coach for the next few days. :wave:

QOTD Wednesday, February 5, 2014: What is your secret to staying on plan in winter? It could be one of the items listed or something else.

Hmmm... I think my secret this time around is that I'm not running, or rather, that INSTEAD of running, that I'm doing a workout video in my apartment. I don't mean that running doesn't work for me, just that when I run in the winter, I try to go outside, because I hate the dreadmill, and then I end up making excuses when it is too cold, or too snowy, or too rainy, and the workout just doesn't get done.

I struggle in winter with getting the amount of vegetables and fruits I need in my diet. I just don't really enjoy a lot of "winter" produce. I have acid relfux so I can't have a lot of acidic fruits, like grapefruits or pineapple. I try and stick with cucumbers and tomatoes, but I'm always on the hunt for new produce!!

I will say that the continual exercise and maybe my daily vitamins have prevented me from getting FULL BLOWN sick so far this winter. I'll catch a cold or a cough for a day or so, but I find that once I'm up, exercising and showered, I feel better. :)

And I know 3 short weeks from today I will be on my way to SC to see my son and the ocean, so something great to look forward to! In March we are planning a weekend in Gatlinburg. In April back to SC. And in May headed to FL. Lots to look forward to. :goodvibes

Lucky duck! Please bring back some of that warm weather with you!!

------

Also - if you guys will have me, I'd love to host in April!! My Power 90 routine will be winding down, and I'll need some serious motivation to keep myself started on something else, and staying healthy through Passover and Easter - my mother is Jewish and my father is Catholic, so I get TWO large eating holidays haha

Morning all!! Enjoying our lazy snow-day morning here! But now it is time to be productive. Gotta get my soup going for lunch and figure out what the men will eat. BB in a bit to chat!...................P

QOTD Wednesday, February 5, 2014: What is your secret to staying on plan in winter? It could be one of the items listed or something else.

Living in Southern AZ, our winters are more like spring so no good tips here. Maybe throw on a jacket before heading to teh Y? But I will say that I love swimming, I love taking the kids to play while I swim laps. And it is much easier to motivate myself to do this in the summer rather than the winter because our Y's pool is outdoors. But I am contemplating hauling my butt outta bed at 4:45 to make it to the 5:15 aqua boot camp a few mornings a week....

I could take on the last few days of the month. And I also want to sign on for hosting June!

Thanks Magdalene! We have the month covered but I will put you down to host June :cheer2: Great to see you!

I watched the Biggest Loser finale last night - anyone else think the winner, Rachel, was just TOO skinny? Looks like she lost a lot of muscle since the last time we saw her... Shouldn't there be some kind of negativity to losing TOO much weight? Even Jillian seemed shocked... in a bad way haha

She was definitely too skinny! Shameful really that she chose to promote a different unhealthy lifestyle. Probably did it to win and I am sure she will be back to healthy weight soon as that weight has to unsustainable. But still, I hope she hasn't traded one eating disorder for another...

This month's goal is to start an acne routine - based on the stuff I was prescribed at my derm appt yesterday - and to take better care of my teeth! I had a drugstore party yesterday and got stuff for my skin, and then new toothpaste, a mouthwash, and some lovely floss. :) In March, I might kick it up a notch and get some of those whitening strips, but we'll see. Anyone have any experience with whitening their teeth using OTC products?

I would love to know this too! Want to use the teeth whitening products before the wedding.... Also, I have always thought of going to a dermatologist, how did you like it?

Also - if you guys will have me, I'd love to host in April!! My Power 90 routine will be winding down, and I'll need some serious motivation to keep myself started on something else, and staying healthy through Passover and Easter - my mother is Jewish and my father is Catholic, so I get TWO large eating holidays haha

Friend of a Mouse has volunteered to host April alread :) Maybe you could coach some during that month and host May?? :thumbsup2

Just popping in to say hey. Fighting the tail end stomach bug and yet another snow day, (kids are never going to get out of school!)
I am trying so hard not to graze all day. I hate days like this!!! Plus I'm hungry because I haven't had much to eat the last 3 days.

I also need to get motivated and hit the dreadmill. I plan to do my dress rehearsal for the PHM weekend. Today will be my 3 mile run, tomorrow will be 6 and Friday will be 13. Now to get off my lazy butt and just do it. LOL

She was definitely too skinny! Shameful really that she chose to promote a different unhealthy lifestyle. Probably did it to win and I am sure she will be back to healthy weight soon as that weight has to unsustainable. But still, I hope she hasn't traded one eating disorder for another...

I guess if it was about the money, I understand. But, while everyone else finished STRONG - literally, those guys looked like they could take on anyone or anything - she looked weak, like she would snap in half! :sad2:

I would love to know this too! Want to use the teeth whitening products before the wedding.... Also, I have always thought of going to a dermatologist, how did you like it?

Well, they tell you not to go right before going somewhere else - which I can attest to - my face was a mess haha

I really liked it! First I saw a nurse - who had to program everything I said into an IPAD! SO strange! But, she was great - really listened to my concerns, and told them all to the Doc before she came in to see me. She looked at my face, prescribed me some things, told me how to use them, when to use them, and gave me some cortisone shots for the acne I have currently, to help them go away faster. They definitely helped by this morning - but right afterwards, it looked awful lol :lmao:

We'll see how the treatment goes, and if it helps. I have a follow up in 3 weeks where she'll determine if this is the right treatment for me. Overall, I would definitely recommend going. A consultation is short and brief, and it gives you a chance to ask any questions you've been dying to ask. I liked my doc because she recommended products that are OTC for dry skin, and nothing that was created by her practice, or specialty items that I could only get through her. I hate when doctors do that.

I did do some research on ZocDoc first to find a derm I liked, though. So, I'd recommend doing that, too!

Friend of a Mouse has volunteered to host April already Maybe you could coach some during that month and host May??

Absolutely! May will be better, anyway, since I have a zillion things to do in April! :)

I am trying so hard not to graze all day. I hate days like this!!! Plus I'm hungry because I haven't had much to eat the last 3 days.

I also need to get motivated and hit the dreadmill. I plan to do my dress rehearsal for the PHM weekend. Today will be my 3 mile run, tomorrow will be 6 and Friday will be 13. Now to get off my lazy butt and just do it. LOL

Grazing is SUPER hard on lazy days. I try to set mini goals and rewards for myself on days like that - like, no, I can't have popcorn if I'm just going to sit here and watch this movie. BUT, if I finish the movie, and then go for a walk, then I'll have a snack. It RARELY works, but with the exception of locking myself in my room, its all I've got. =P

Also - look at you, ms. runner!!!! Way to go on all of those miles! You're gonna be kick-*** at the PHM! :woohoo

I was able to get in a 30 min walk again last night before the storm hit. DH picked up middle DS at school (he stayed after to work on project), oldest DS and DD stayed home while he went and picked him up and the dog and I did our walk.

DH also rearranged his schedule so he could be home on Tuesday nights so I could go to the gym and meet with a personal trainer.

I think because I finally spoke up he realizes how important this is to me. I was very happy last night when he told me.

I am happy about getting my exercise plan in place. The next thing I want to tackle is my eating habits. I am trying to make sure I get in my 5 servings of fruits and veggies and then I need to work on portion control.

I am trying not to push too hard with everything though because I don't want to overwhelm myself. This week's goal is to exercise at least 5 days. I have 3 done so far. Next week I am going to work on the fruit and veggie servings everyday and keep up with the exercising 5 days a week.

A BIG :thanks: to everyone who has stepped up to coach! I slotted Michelle in for 2/11-2/15 since she doesn't have a home computer (you can always post the QOTD for 2/15 on the day before, or if you can't... I can take care of it because I will be home! And Pamela, I slotted you in for 2/16- 2/20. I also slotted willonlyflytodisney in for 2/21-2/25. So we almost have the month covered! Please let me know if there need to be any changes or I got something wrong!

GOT IT and penned it on the calendar! :thumbsup2

Okay, today I am back on track. Breakfast was a blueberry/hemp snack square. Lunch was an avocado Vera Cruz salad (kale, arugula, grape tomatoes, frozen corn, chopped red pepper, avocado, and Bolthouse Farms avocado/cilantro dressing.)

Sounds super yummy and healthy! Care to share recipe for the snack square??

I am gettign ready to go out and shovel snow before my husband comes home. Unfortunately, they had a network server go down and he had to go on site . They've asked us not to travel if at all possible today, but thankfully his car has good traction control.

Sorry your DH had to travel in the snow.

In other news... I am officially shaving my head for the fourth time through St. Baldricks Foundation! I want to lose 10-15 lbs beforehand so I won't cringe when I get to the after pictures. My participant website is: http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/jessitroester

OH MY HEAVENS!! You are BRAVE! I definitely could NOT be persuaded to do that....I have hair "issues". I am proud of you!!

I can't wait. I am a Wish Granter with Make A Wish and have personally known several childhood cancer survivors, including my best friend. I teach a girl who has survived multiple cancers and is heartbreaking what her family has gone through. So this organization is very near and dear to my heart.

Here is my "before" picture:
1016302_10100198574048172_815367490_n.jpg

What a great thing you are doing.:flower3:

My favorite apples are honeycrisp and pink ladies. I have been enjoying pineapple cottage cheese with chips. I know the chips aren't good but they are made at my store in trans fat free oil and they are really fresh and good. I make ceviche at the store too and I love that--it's shrimp, fake crab, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, jalapenos, fresh squeezed lime, cilantro and clamato juice-- all chopped up tiny, it's soo good. Like that also with the chips. The store also makes fresh guacamole now and it's super good and lasts longer than any other guac I've bought. I also like that new popcorn that's all healthy--with a piece of fat free cheese melted on it and those pea chip things.

All sounds delicious!

I'm down another pound this week and hanging on to it still so I'm pre-rewarding myself to Captain Phillips tonight--I'll watch it before Biggest loser. This rewarding myself for progress instead of just results seems to be working pretty well. Dieting is so much about deprivation why not pad the time with extra self indulgence as long as you are doing well. I need to get up and start getting ready to go work out but right now I have a very cute girl kitty who has decided as of only recently she wants to live with us, sitting with me and soaking my blanket nursing it lol. I'll check the schedule for coaching spots, I just haven't wanted to commit as of yet, I'm so up and down with my time.

How was the movie? We have an unexpected night at home and it would be great to find a movie that the three of us could enjoy.

I have to disagree just a BIT about the bolded statement. Yes, it does SEEM like it will be about deprivation initially, but in order to make it not a DIET but a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, you need to find a way to make it feel like it is NOT about deprivation. Yes, there are days when I crave/desire a food that I am going to deny myself (why on EARTH my DH bought fresh baked "french toast bread" last night, I'll never understand!), but rather than complaining about the "deprivation" or giving into the temptation, I try to remind myself of a few important things.... first of all, I LOVE the way I look and feel at my goal weight and there is NO FOOD in the WORLD worth giving up that feeling for (although sometimes it is hard to remember that when I have a Lindt salted chocolate truffle calling to me...;) ).

Next....I try hard to find healthier and lighter options that satisfy whatever I am craving. (A good alternative to the french toast bread might have been a nice warm bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon.... still carbs and sweetness, but healthier and more filling.)

And finally, I try hard to remember that this (for me at least) is as much about HEALTH as it is about looking good... and that bowl of oatmeal is going to do a lot more for my HEALTH than that piece of white flour/white sugar "junk food" bread. Maybe it is my advancing age, but health has become much more important to me.

All of that being said, I LOVE your ideas of treating yourself to some extra non-food indulgences (a movie, a manicure, a new book, a long nap with a snuggly kitty :) ) so that you feel cared for and pampered. ::yes::

Just warning all you east coasters, it is nasty here, so I am sure it is coming your way. Sleet, freezing rain, snow. Icky, icky stuff. We are already 7" above normal for snow this year, which might not sound like much, but for us it is. More snow coming on Sunday. Boo!

Yup.... it has arrived. Probably 3-4" on the ground when I looked out at 8 am and now, at noon, another 4+ and it is coming down pretty heavily. Thanks for sharing it!! :lmao:

Almonds, apples, kale chips, popcorn (if I avoid the butter and just pop with a tiny bit of coconut oil), grapes. And sometimes I just have hot tea. Love chai and constant comment.

Two teas I like as well! Today was a Lipton's spiced chai and I will change over to a decaf goji berry green tea or Bengal Spice after lunch.

Hope everyone is having a good night. We have been home bodies this winter, but of course when the weather is awful I have this huge desire to go out and have a drink.

I have been googling natural remedies for lowering your blood pressure. My doctor isn't too concerned, but mine has been creeping up slowly. She said to check it when I am out and see a machine. I have been checking it at the grocery store and it was really high twice now, but Mike's was as well, so I am thinking it is a bad machine. Trying to not stress because stress will not help. Since this a relatively new thing, I am ok with working to see if I can get it down with weight loss and some other things, and if that doesn't work, then it's back to the doctor. I need to find another place to check it at.

Honestly, the more you stress about it, the worse it will probably look when you check it. It is tough to relax when you are worried about the number, but it is important! Also, be SURE that the BP cuff they are using is the right size. DH was told by his PCP for years (when he was much younger) that he had high BP.... but we have come to the conclusion that it was partially a case of "white coat syndrome" (aka nervous around doctors) and the office using a too-small cuff. Most of the time in the past 10 years his BP has been just fine! How about a glass of wine before you check it??!!:rotfl: JK.... take care of yourself, watch the caffeine and salt, and you should be FINE!!

I second the weather warning though. It's rediculously cold where I am. Had to push myself out the door for a 20 minute run today. Normally would probably have skipped it but I missed last week's training being bogged down with the flu. Just for an idea. Here's the current weather:

We've had some pretty cold weather this year. I am really glad I'm spending March in California because I can't imagine what that's going to be like here (normally March here is the worst month weather wise).

I think we can ALL relate to bad weather maps this winter! It has been brutal all over! Lucky you, though.... California in March should be delicious!

QOTD: I really like seaweed snacks. They are high in vitamins and very filling. Kale chips are another favorite of mine. I try not to snack too much because I find once I start I can't stop.

I did not care for seaweed snacks at all.... but I did give them a try. I do like my own homemade kale chips, but like you, I can eat waaaaay too many at once.... not that the kale is so bad, but the salt... yikes!

Stay safe everybody. We have already had 10" of snow and may get a couple of more before the night is over. They have called off school for us again tomorrow, and many are wondering if we will be in school on Thursday.

Hope you are safe and warm!

I'm just floundering around this month, but once I get a chance to check out how the coaching gig words, I'd probably be happy to volunteer in future months.

That would be great! It really is motivating to know that others are looking to you for direction, motivation, help, and suggestions!

We've been a good bit colder than normal as well. I'm burning through twice the amount of propane we used last year to heat the house. And of course there's a shortage this year ... It's -10 outside right now. I've been incredibly worried about all of my animals and am always running around like a madwoman before these cold spells making sure everyone has plenty of warm bedding and busting up frozen water a couple times a day. I'm not quite tired of winter yet because I know what kind of farm workload spring brings, but I'm getting there.

Lots of work involved with those animals.... which is specifically why we don't have any! Stay warm!

~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~

Had a decent day today. Other than it being so cold. Went to the DMV to get new licenses. It made me feel good comparing the picture on my old one to the picture on my new one. I'm about 30 pounds lighter now and I see a real difference. I'm also smiling in the new one, because I feel so good lately. I remember when the old one was taken, we'd just gotten here and my hip had been hurting so bad for the few days' drive to get here, that I could barely walk. I got more gray hair now, but I can deal with that.

Wishing everyone a warm night, and a beautiful tomorrow.

Nice to be able to compare the "before" and after! :thumbsup2

So how did you do on Superbowl Sunday? I should've brought my own food to the party we went to. Well technically I did bring food, chili, caramelized onion and bacon dip and homemade cornbread. Only thing is I'm not at a point yet where I should be eating beans or cornbread and I didn't bring anything with me that's on the "allowed" list.

Well, live and learn.... you'll know better next time.

That's a great idea! I recently bought a really cute Disney t-shirt that's too small for a cruise we have planned in October but I put it away. Maybe I need to take it out and hang it on my bedroom door as inspiration.

Nice idea!

Hi there! I can really relate to what you said. I lost about 70 pounds and gained some of it back. I've struggled with weight all of my life and probably always will. We can't let guilt get in the way of moving forward, we've just gotta pick ourselves back up and keep trying.

AMEN!!

Balancing work, family and exercise is really difficult for me too. I'm a supervisor and case coordinator at a medical facility so my job is high stress. I have three young adult sons who all live at home so family time is extremely important to me. I find that when I'm really stressed and exhausted I don't eat well due to lack of planning my meals out, I just eat what's there. Then I gain weight which causes more fatigue so I just get in this vicious cycle.

But I'm back on track right now because I realize that if I completely give up because quality of life is important and I want to be around to enjoy my family as long as possible.

Yes! It's so much more pleasant to cook in the winter. I love to cook and bake so that means I'm tempted to eat more.

Thanks for the tip on the Trader Joe's LC tortillas, didn't know they had those. I'm not quite ready to add those into my diet yet but will be by March. Thanks again!

Have a great day!

Hi everyone! I am finally back into the WATP mode! Habe a great OP day yesterday. Today started mixed, but I am determined to make it a good day! My weight is scary now, really really need to get my act together in order to fit in my "cruise wardrobe" (i.e. all the lovely summer dresses I got last year thinking I want to cruise again!) before my upcoming cruise!

So I signed up with quite a challenging goal for me, but I decided that I need to try to challenge myself more.

I saw quite a few new names, so I think I should post an introduction. My name is Magdalene, I am German and live in Germany. I found the DIS a long time ago when I was planning my first trip to WDW. It took me a long time to venture out of the travel planning sub forums here, but in late 2012 I became part of the Biggest Loser Challenge since it was called then and now just love the monthly WATP challenges as they provide a new motivation every month!

I have been overweight since I was a child in the 70s, a time when nearly no kids were overweight. Looking at pictures of me then I realise that by today standards I would not stick out at all, but would be considered normal... How times change. My weight stuck with me all through my teenage years and then once I started college when I finally approached a weight that would get me into the "obese" category, my three college friends who all were wearing a size 0 were wonderful in encouraging me to lose weight and helped me a lot! I lost a lot, got down to a BMI of 22 and thought I was still too heavy as I was not as skinny as my friends. Then I finished university and then slowly the pounds kept coming back. Sometimes quicker, then slower. I am a stress eater and everytime things happen which stress me out I can see it on the scale. I was successful in losing weight at some point by signing up for WW online. And then put on weight again. And then lost again. This last year I was so happy because I finally managed to get below a certain number that I had not gotten below since my college years. And then this winter happened and everything weight wise went wrong. No idea why. At least I am still lighter than last year at this time. So this is something at least! But I am very determined that 2014 is going to be the year when I finally make it to my goal - which is the weight I managed to go down to in my college years! It can't be that difficult!!!

I could take on the last few days of the month. And I also want to sign on for hosting June!

You are going to do it!!

Good morning all!

I'm Lisa and I will be your coach for the next few days.

Do you wanna build a snowman?
Come on lets go and play
I never see you anymore
Come out the door . . .

420x236-frozen-game-throw-olaf.jpg

For most of us it has been a long winter and it is still going full bore. It's hard to keep your motivation and success when you just want to hibernate and eat comfort food.

But thanks to my friends at sparkpeople.com here are a few ideas about how you can keep winter from derailing your efforts. :cool2:

Here are five secrets to achieve winter health and energy all season long.

Do everything in your power to avoid getting sick. There is nothing that will sap your energy more than being ill.
Boost your immune system to keep your defenses high by getting plenty of sleep and drinking lots of water, which will help keep nasal passages hydrated. Eat nourishing, vitamin packed foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, yogurt, and lean protein. Keep up your exercise program.

Maintain and shake up your exercise routine. Exercise has been shown to prevent depression and lift the moods of those feeling down. It also helps keep your immune system working efficiently. Maintaining your exercise routine will offset some of the extra calories from seasonal treats and celebrations as well.

Enjoy a variety of winter foods. Although summer offers a bounty of fresh fruit and veggies at affordable prices (think melons, berries and tomatoes), many produce items ripen in winter. From hearty root vegetables to bright, sweet citrus fruits, winter produce offers a surprising range of flavors.

Think light and bright. Research from the National Institute of Mental Health has found that exposure to bright light in the early morning can be a powerful, fast and effective treatment for seasonal depression. There's no reason to think it wouldn't help those of us who experience the winter blahs!

Find your inner child and invite him/her out to play.

With a shift in your mindset, winter does not have to be a time of lethargy, illness or unhappiness. Let it be the season to partake in seasonal pleasures that you get to enjoy, rather than a season that you have to endure.

Here is the link to the entire article if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wellness_articles.asp?id=1683

BBL with replies and my own answer.

First of alll.... brilliant linking the QOTD to the SUPER POPULAR Disney movie! I'm going to be singing that all day now!

Winter for me equals finding filling, HEALTHY, warm comfort foods that still help me stay OP (veggie soups, stews, etc)! And for exercise, it means the TM or a home workout DVD.... harder to use the excuse of cold weather or bad driving that way. And of course, lots of handwashing while I'm at the germ factory aka public school!! :rotfl2:

Do everything in your power to avoid getting sick.
I have been really lucky with the not getting sick. Before I gave up gluten--caught every sniffle, sneeze, etc. Since going gluten, nothing. :) Might be a coincidence, but no matter what, I will take it. I do get a flu shot every year. I am a compulsive hand washer, and always wipe off the carts at the stores, the exercise machines before I use them, etc. And I really like vegetables, so that helps.

Maintain and shake up your exercise routine.
I did this in January and it has worked wonders for my motivation. Before, had to drag myself to the Y. Now I am starting to see positive results again, so I am looking forward to it. I added in a new cardio machine and started doing the strength machine circuit this month. I am running AFTER I do everything else (so running slightly fatigued) and hoping this translates to some really good runs when I return to long runs in the spring.

Enjoy a variety of winter foods.
We got out of the habit of roasting vegetables and root vegetables are awesome roasted, so time to add that back into our routine.

Think light and bright.
The sun is pretty much nonexistent lately, but I do feel immensely better when I take Vitamin D.

Honestly, just knowing January is over has helped immensely. I know Spring is just around the corner, and even when we are getting more snow, it is not lasting long.

I do wish we could send some of our weather to the Sierra Nevadas where they could use the snow.

And I know 3 short weeks from today I will be on my way to SC to see my son and the ocean, so something great to look forward to! In March we are planning a weekend in Gatlinburg. In April back to SC. And in May headed to FL. Lots to look forward to.

Great ways to take care of yourself!!

:Hope your meeting went well, Pamela!

It was fine!

I kind of miss the monthly routines at WW. I am still doing Points Plus. That is easiest for me right now but I may try Simply Filling when I get back from the Princess -- it is very popular in my meeting, especially with the folks who are at lifetime.

It can be great if you are faithful.... but that is true for mostly ANY healthy eating/weight-loss plan!

My secret for staying on plan in winter is my local community center where I can do all my exercising in the comfort of a nice warm building.

Lucky you!!!

Even though I have lived in a cold climate for 25 years I'm still a California girl at heart.

Once a CA girl, alway a CA girl!

It does help to know that we are that much closer to spring. :flower3:

It is -1 here this morning. Thank goodness I will be at WDW in two short weeks. princess:

JEALOUS!

Happy Wednesday, everyone! Hope everyone is staying safe and warm in this crazy weather!

I'm definitely low on sleep this week, but yesterday I went to dinner with my friend and she was SO amazed with my results - I didn't think it was that noticeable, since I saw her about a month ago, so that felt good! We went to Subway to pick up sandwiches, even though her mother tried to plow us with spaghetti and meatballs haha It was tempting, but I love me a Veggie Delite foot long - plus I get to eat the other half for lunch today! :cool1:

I'm with you on that Subway!

I agree totally and I PRAY that it was just a "game play" thing and that she plans to REGAIN at least 15-20 of those pounds! Truly.... ShOCKINGLY thin... especially for an athlete. :sad2:

Today's a slow day at work, as I'm sure most of our clients took the day off to avoid the weather. So as soon as I finish here, I'll be spending most of the day looking for a job!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

I've also been trying to set goals for myself each month until my birthday (June 1st) to get to a better me. There's a bunch of things I've been meaning to change about myself - nothing drastic, just little things, like I have been meaning to go to a dermatologist for forever because I have adult acne and dry skin that breaks out at the slightest touch of lotion. So, last month's goal was to start a weight loss routine and stick with it, and I did it!

GREAT LUCK here with the Crest White Strips..... that being said, I don't have particularly sensitive teeth and can use any of their varieties without any trouble. DH and DD both had trouble with sensitivity using some of the stronger strips, so my advise would be to take it slow.... start with the "Classic" ones and then move on to the stronger ones if you don't have any troubles. Ask your dentist for a sample or two if you can. And YES, they worked GREAT for me. I didn't have huge problems, but just the basic yellowing from age and too much coffee and tea. I get compliments on my white smile frequently. I still use the White Strips about once a month or so... mostly as I get further out from my most recent dental cleaning. I try to use whitening toothpaste on a daily basis as well... but if it isn't on sale, I just use regular. And don't go shopping without a coupon for these things! They are crazy expensive!

Tomorrow is National Frozen Yogurt Day! What happens if you freeze greek yogurt? Does it taste good? I'm thinking about freezing my strawberry yogurt for tomorrow for an hour and making kinda a slushy one? Does that make it worse for you? :confused3 Thoughts?

Doesn't make it any better or worse for you, but it can definitely change the texture. If you have access to any kind of ice cream maker, that would work pretty good.... the key to keeping it creamy versus a solid lump is keeping it moving as it freezes.... which either requires an ice cream maker or lots of trips to the freezer to stir it. You could try getting it "mostly" frozen and then throw it in a food processor and process it until it gets creamy but still partially frozen. Look around online.... I'm sure you can find a good technique.

WAY TO GO! :thumbsup2 That's AWESOME! So proud of you for taking a stand. You're definitely on the right path!

Hope your meeting went well! Curious to hear what you thought about the finale!

Meeting was fine, no brand newbies :-)sad1:), but our total number was over 20, so at least it was within the "safe" zone.

I was quite frankly, appalled, saddened, and worried when I got a good look at Rachel. WAAAAY too thin.... but my prayers are, as I mentioned earlier, that it was totally GAME PLAY to win and now she will put back on a healthy 15 (or more) pounds and get back to the fit athletic girl that she used to be. David and Bobby each looked GREAT and either one deserved to win.... and Tumi blew me away! She looked HOT and HEALTHY!!

Well, I brought my own tortillas and my own low-fat cheese, and ate really light during the day. When I got there, the food was nowhere near ready, but there were apps out, so I filled up a bit on grapes and some light crackers. When the meat was ready, I was HUNGRY. I realized since my schedule was all off that day, I had forgotten to eat lunch, so I made two burritos, when I really should have eaten just one. But, overall, it didn't go too much over my points, since I filled most of it with lettuce and tomatoes. And the next day, I was right back OP.

It feels strange to feel so comfortable "splurging" simply because the way I used to eat, I would have had two, filled with rice, meat, guac, sour cream, and salsa, and then maybe some tomatoes or lettuce. I also would have eaten chips and salsa and guac beforehand, just because they were there. So, splurging on two burritos that are much healthier than the way I used to eat feels okay - mostly because I know the next day, I'm going to get up, work out, and stay OP.

WONDERFUL! A good healthy splurge is always a good choice!

My cousin, who is a WW leader, says that life is short, but it is filled with too many delicious things to not to go off plan every once in awhile. And I believe she's right, as long as I'm not eating an entire chocolate cake LOL

She is so right! A SLICE of cake is a splurge.... an entire cake... not necessary, not healthy, not recommended and definitely GUILT-inducing (not to mention bellyache-inducing)!

Hmmm... I think my secret this time around is that I'm not running, or rather, that INSTEAD of running, that I'm doing a workout video in my apartment. I don't mean that running doesn't work for me, just that when I run in the winter, I try to go outside, because I hate the dreadmill, and then I end up making excuses when it is too cold, or too snowy, or too rainy, and the workout just doesn't get done.

Boy oh boy, can I relate to that!!

I struggle in winter with getting the amount of vegetables and fruits I need in my diet. I just don't really enjoy a lot of "winter" produce. I have acid relfux so I can't have a lot of acidic fruits, like grapefruits or pineapple. I try and stick with cucumbers and tomatoes, but I'm always on the hunt for new produce!!

So many yummy winter fruits and veggies out there... how about kale, cabbage, winter squashes (so many varieties), sweet potatoes.... and even now the spring stuff is arriving (if you don't mind the guilt over the carbon footprint of it being trucked from who-knows-where-down-South).... I've recently seen decently priced asparagus and strawberries.

If April is open, go for it!!

Okay friends.... no lie that it has taken me TWO HOURS to complete this post! DH kept wanting to chat, DD called TWICE, and of course, I was trying to get lunch on the table!

Phew.... off to clean out a closet!.......................P

Good morning all! :goodvibes

Do you wanna build a snowman?
Come on lets go and play
I never see you anymore
Come out the door . . .

420x236-frozen-game-throw-olaf.jpg

For most of us it has been a long winter and it is still going full bore. It's hard to keep your motivation and success when you just want to hibernate and eat comfort food.

But thanks to my friends at sparkpeople.com here are a few ideas about how you can keep winter from derailing your efforts. :cool2:

Here are five secrets to achieve winter health and energy all season long.

Do everything in your power to avoid getting sick. There is nothing that will sap your energy more than being ill.
Boost your immune system to keep your defenses high by getting plenty of sleep and drinking lots of water, which will help keep nasal passages hydrated. Eat nourishing, vitamin packed foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, yogurt, and lean protein. Keep up your exercise program.

Maintain and shake up your exercise routine. Exercise has been shown to prevent depression and lift the moods of those feeling down. It also helps keep your immune system working efficiently. Maintaining your exercise routine will offset some of the extra calories from seasonal treats and celebrations as well.

Enjoy a variety of winter foods. Although summer offers a bounty of fresh fruit and veggies at affordable prices (think melons, berries and tomatoes), many produce items ripen in winter. From hearty root vegetables to bright, sweet citrus fruits, winter produce offers a surprising range of flavors.

Think light and bright. Research from the National Institute of Mental Health has found that exposure to bright light in the early morning can be a powerful, fast and effective treatment for seasonal depression. There's no reason to think it wouldn't help those of us who experience the winter blahs!

With a shift in your mindset, winter does not have to be a time of lethargy, illness or unhappiness. Let it be the season to partake in seasonal pleasures that you get to enjoy, rather than a season that you have to endure.

Here is the link to the entire article if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wellness_articles.asp?id=1683

For me the pool membership pays off in the winter. Everything about it is warm, working out, the jacuzzi, the sauna. The only way I get any sun in the winter is sitting in that jacuzzi when it's sunny...
Well I'd post more but I have a kitty going crazy nuts with the nursing on me right now lol. Captain Phillips was really good and I'm down another pound today! For me the deprivation is mostly cutting back on the amounts of food I eat, I'm eating something really good-- I want to eat more y'know. The smaller portion thing kills me. Eating more often though and more veggies and fruit help though.

Also - look at you, ms. runner!!!! Way to go on all of those miles! You're gonna be kick-*** at the PHM! :woohoo

from your fingers to my legs ears!! I am freaking out! It is just so real now, not some lofty ambition.

I was able to get in a 30 min walk again last night before the storm hit. DH picked up middle DS at school (he stayed after to work on project), oldest DS and DD stayed home while he went and picked him up and the dog and I did our walk.

DH also rearranged his schedule so he could be home on Tuesday nights so I could go to the gym and meet with a personal trainer.

I think because I finally spoke up he realizes how important this is to me. I was very happy last night when he told me.

I am happy about getting my exercise plan in place. The next thing I want to tackle is my eating habits. I am trying to make sure I get in my 5 servings of fruits and veggies and then I need to work on portion control.

I am trying not to push too hard with everything though because I don't want to overwhelm myself. This week's goal is to exercise at least 5 days. I have 3 done so far. Next week I am going to work on the fruit and veggie servings everyday and keep up with the exercising 5 days a week.

Glad your DH is on board! Good for you speaking up. I tend to not do that enough.
Small goals work! Slow and steady wins the race.

Hope everyone is having a good night. We have been home bodies this winter, but of course when the weather is awful I have this huge desire to go out and have a drink. ;)

I have been googling natural remedies for lowering your blood pressure. My doctor isn't too concerned, but mine has been creeping up slowly. She said to check it when I am out and see a machine. I have been checking it at the grocery store and it was really high twice now, but Mike's was as well, so I am thinking it is a bad machine. Trying to not stress because stress will not help. :) Since this a relatively new thing, I am ok with working to see if I can get it down with weight loss and some other things, and if that doesn't work, then it's back to the doctor. I need to find another place to check it at.

Good luck on the blood pressure. I would be careful of some "natural" remedies and if you are trying a supplement, make sure you get one that has been through some kind of independent verification. There is a huge issue with many supplements not containing what they say.

Since I am getting ready to start liquids I've got in the habit of grabbing a protein drink when I get hungry. Works well since they are high in protein and the ones I own are low in calorie. I'm jealous though of you having Trader Joes. We are still waiting for them to open one up here. For such a health conscious state they are still missing it.

We've had some pretty cold weather this year. I am really glad I'm spending March in California because I can't imagine what that's going to be like here (normally March here is the worst month weather wise).

Are you juicing? If so, I am interested in how it goes. I am thinking of maybe doing a juice fast over spring break when I do not need to go in to work. The problem will be getting the equipment. My blender broke and right now, I have to pay to replace my windshield. Plus, our water bill shot through the roof due to a malfunctioning toilet we didn't realize had issues. By March I should be back on track.

We've been a good bit colder than normal as well. I'm burning through twice the amount of propane we used last year to heat the house. And of course there's a shortage this year ... It's -10 outside right now. I've been incredibly worried about all of my animals and am always running around like a madwoman before these cold spells making sure everyone has plenty of warm bedding and busting up frozen water a couple times a day. I'm not quite tired of winter yet because I know what kind of farm workload spring brings, but I'm getting there.

~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~

Had a decent day today. Other than it being so cold. Went to the DMV to get new licenses. It made me feel good comparing the picture on my old one to the picture on my new one. I'm about 30 pounds lighter now and I see a real difference. I'm also smiling in the new one, because I feel so good lately. I remember when the old one was taken, we'd just gotten here and my hip had been hurting so bad for the few days' drive to get here, that I could barely walk. I got more gray hair now, but I can deal with that. :sunny:

Wishing everyone a warm night, and a beautiful tomorrow.

That's great about your license! I am thinking of replacing mine when I lose the weight, my picture sucks.

Just popping in to say hey. Fighting the tail end stomach bug and yet another snow day, (kids are never going to get out of school!)

Good luck getting over your stomach bug. We've had some stuff going around here as well.

It's great that your husband is so supportive. You're very lucky.

QOTD: If I find a way to be successful, I'll let you know! Most days I am holding on to success by the skin of my teeth. I desperately need to get myself to my weight watchers meeting tomorrow so I can really get back on track. We have another snow day, so I am going to clean out the fridge and do some make ahead meals.

So after checking my bp again and getting a horrible number, I talked to the pharmacist and bought an at home monitor. Relaxed for 5 minutes, took my bp and it was in the normal range! I think the other machine just didn't fit me right. And every time I went I got more and more stressed out. I am going to watch it at home, but I am feeling much better about it. :)

FOAM--I was thinking food, not supplements. There are some foods that help with blood pressure including spinach, bananas, and tomatoes. :)

Hope everyone is having a great evening. :)

WOOOO!! Go you!!! I can't believe how soon you will be a PRINCESS running through a Magic Kingdom!!

Are you juicing? If so, I am interested in how it goes. I am thinking of maybe doing a juice fast over spring break when I do not need to go in to work. The problem will be getting the equipment. My blender broke and right now, I have to pay to replace my windshield. Plus, our water bill shot through the roof due to a malfunctioning toilet we didn't realize had issues. By March I should be back on track.

I follow a really good blog and she just posted info for a 2 day cleanse, if you (or anyone) is interested. Isn't JUST juice, which interested me, because when I have done more than 24 hours of just juice, I am pretty hungry and miserable. Let me know if you want the link.

Juicer and good blenders are expensive, but I see BOTH with some good regularity on my FB yard sale sites for at least 40% off retail. Take a look around.... and even ask around... post an "In Search Of" on a bulletin board or on FB and maybe you'll find someone who has one but hasn't bothered to list it.... or perhaps you could borrow a juicer and/or blender before you invest any $$.

QOTD: If I find a way to be successful, I'll let you know! Most days I am holding on to success by the skin of my teeth. I desperately need to get myself to my weight watchers meeting tomorrow so I can really get back on track. We have another snow day, so I am going to clean out the fridge and do some make ahead meals.

Great use of your "extra" time.

And we ALL know that feeling of "just barely hanging on".... get thee to a WW meeting, PRONTO! Get there early, stay for everything, read everything you are given, browse the products, ask questions, introduce yourself to someone, participate... you will leave feeling INSPIRED and MOTIVATED!

So after checking my bp again and getting a horrible number, I talked to the pharmacist and bought an at home monitor. Relaxed for 5 minutes, took my bp and it was in the normal range! I think the other machine just didn't fit me right. And every time I went I got more and more stressed out. I am going to watch it at home, but I am feeling much better about it. :)

SEEEEEE.... I hate to say it but I was right! (Okay... I LOVE to say it...:lmao:).... you just needed to be able to RELAX and get a BP cuff that FIT RIGHT!! :hug: Glad you are healthy!

FOAM--I was thinking food, not supplements. There are some foods that help with blood pressure including spinach, bananas, and tomatoes. :)

Hope everyone is having a great evening. :)

A touch TOO relaxing here today..... got very little done that really matters.... a bit of laundry, organized ONE small box in ONE closet, got out the suitcase for DS's trip to CR, emptied some trash, and spent FAAAARRR too much time on the DIS and FB!

Dinner was a nice salad.... mixed organic greens (spring mix and baby spinach), cucumber, celery, diced apple, bit of turkey, bit of feta and a light raspberry pomegranate vinagarette, with a small piece of low carb lavash on the side. I will admit, I'm still hungry though.... probably not enough protein. Off to check the fridge for another bit of food to top things off! TTY tomorrow.......P

I saw quite a few new names, so I think I should post an introduction. My name is Magdalene, I am German and live in Germany.

Hi Magdalene, nice to meet you. I'm Shadera. :wave2:

Color me GREEN with envy. You live in the most amazing country in the world, IMO. I spent 6 years there as a kid (before the wall came down) - Darmstadt & Hanau, and then came back as an adult and lived another year in Bremen. Hubs has never been there, and I hope to be able to take him within the next few years. Show him all the places I visited as a kid, and show him all these wonderful foods I'm always raving about.

Do everything in your power to avoid getting sick.
Drinking 108 oz of water a day. At the first sign of feeling icky, I run for the airborne. Love the boost it gives my immune system.

Maintain and shake up your exercise routine.
It's not necessarily fun, but I'm working hard to maintain my exercise routine. I'd got my treadmill set up next to the upstairs patio slider, so I can look at the Bitterroot mountains while I walk. The view is pretty inspiring.

Enjoy a variety of winter foods.
Don't do much citrus aside from what's in meals, but we love root veggies and the winter squashes. And kale. We love kale!

Think light and bright.
Won't lie, our house really helps me here. Tons of big windows and a vaulted ceiling that reflects it all = really bright. This time of year, when it's too cold to really enjoy being outside, I like to lie in front of the big south-facing picture window we have. The sun feels mighty nice, and the cat usually joins me in my happy sunbeam on the floor. It's easy to imagine I'm someplace tropical. :)

My inner child never left. I'll always be a kid at heart.

No secret here. Just a lot of determination. I did boot camp. I quit smoking. I beat cancer. I will lose this weight.

Be our guest! Be our guest!
Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin 'round your neck, cherie
And we'll provide the rest . . .

wdw-fantasyland-003.jpg

Before you tie that napkin round your neck would be a good time to review some pointers on portion control from my friends at sparkpeople.com, of course. ;)

With portions ballooning to extreme sizes, it's sometimes tough to stick to what we know are proper serving sizes. Eating contests, "value" meals and bags that contain "30% more free" all contribute to our environment of excess. You've chosen to fight back and take control of your portions. Great! It's a key step to weight management and will make you feel powerful in your food choices. Use some of these methods to help control the crazy portions so you can reach your goals.

Measure This isn't something you’ll need to do forever, but it's a great place to start.

Downsize your dishware To combat the tricks our eyes play on our stomachs, switch to smaller plates (approximately 9 inches), cups (tall and narrow ones are better) and bowls.

Be resourceful at restaurants Take control of the portions and either share your meal with a friend, or ask your server to box up half of your meal before bringing it to the table.

Visualize Comparing food portions to common objects that you know the size of is genius when it comes to portion control, especially if you don't have your measuring tools handy. It’s not as cumbersome as measuring or weighing your foods, but still provides a good estimate about how much food you're eating. Here are some common comparisons to keep in mind:
1 cup = baseball
1/2 cup = standard light bulb
2 Tbsp = golf ball
1 Tbsp = poker chip
3 oz meat = deck of cards
3 oz fish = checkbook
1.5 oz cheese = 3 dice

Perfect the Plate Method This visual strategy for portion control is a great way to slim down your protein and starch portions, and bulk up your servings of vegetables. Fill half of a 9- or 10-inch plate with non-starchy veggies or salad. Next, visually divide your plate in half again (to achieve 2 quarters of the plate) and place your meat or protein source in one spot, and your carbohydrate or starchy vegetable in the other. This method helps you control calories and increase your vegetable intake.

Here is a link to the entire slideshow if you are interested
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/slideshow.asp?show=40

QOTD Thursday, February 6, 2014: Do you have any pointers for portion control? If not, is there one of these methods you might try?

BBL with replies and my own answer. :goodvibes

QOTD Thursday, February 6, 2014: Do you have any pointers for portion control? If not, is there one of these methods you might try?

Hi! I'm behind on writing (but not on reading!) - here are my thoughts on today's QOTD, though, as this is something I try to manage every day.

When we cook dinner at home, I do use smaller plates. I also switch up the ratios - DH and I both tend toward lower-card mindfulness, while DDs really love their rice and pasta. So I'll give them the carb side (rice, pasta, whatever it might be) and cut it back or eliminate it for DH and myself, upping the veggie portions instead. The kids' plates end up more balanced, but DH and I are still mindful of our own priorities.

And that leads into the other thing I do, which is to plate our dinners. Instead of "family style" serving plates and bowls on the table, I plate our meals at the stove and put them at each place. This keeps me from mindlessly taking an extra spoonful or two (or five) of something I'm enjoying. If I want more, I have to make it a mindful decision and get up to go to the stove and get more. That has helped a lot! We also find that we have more leftovers for yummy lunches this way because we're not eating more than a serving at dinner.

I'm flying out tomorrow night to CA to surprise my sister for her birthday. Those who've been on the challenge threads for a while may recall my mentioning her crap situation right now - her husband left her a week after they bought their new house and a few weeks before their 10th anniversary. He lied to her and cheated on her and has still tried to claim that she's the one being difficult by standing up for herself in the settlement negotiations (she's been a SAHM since my older niece was born over 7 years ago). She's moving back home (to the Boston area) next month - we have lots of family and friends there, and it'll be great. But she's understandably exhausted and stressed, and I thought a surprise visit for her birthday this weekend might be the boost she needs to get her through these last few weeks of being out there. She has two good friends there who are helping me coordinate the surprise, and I can't wait to see her!

I know I'll be taking her out to celebrate her birthday (her soon to be ex has their daughters until Saturday night), so I'm already trying to plot my way through the unknowns of where we'll go, what I'll eat (and drink), and all that good stuff.

The scale popped up a little bit for me after my initial Feb weigh-in, but I think it's about back to where it was now. Looking forward to checking in tomorrow with a weigh-in before I go - even though I have a planned cheeseburger/fries lunch on the schedule today! It's not about deprivation, it's about moderation...one cheeseburger isn't what put all the weight on, and one cheeseburger is just fine. I always get nervous about eating while I'm traveling, though, as I'm out of my routines and with fewer easy choices. It's just a couple of days. :)

Happy Thursday, all!

XO
Liz

Hey Pamela, I would be interested in that 2 day cleanse!

Here's the link! Keep in mind, this isn't really a weight-loss juice cleanse... more of a full-health thing.

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/wp-content/uploads/Weekened-Reboot_FemFusion_HealthfulPursuit.pdf

Hi Magdalene, nice to meet you. I'm Shadera. :wave2:

Color me GREEN with envy. You live in the most amazing country in the world, IMO. I spent 6 years there as a kid (before the wall came down) - Darmstadt & Hanau, and then came back as an adult and lived another year in Bremen. Hubs has never been there, and I hope to be able to take him within the next few years. Show him all the places I visited as a kid, and show him all these wonderful foods I'm always raving about.

No secret here. Just a lot of determination. I did boot camp. I quit smoking. I beat cancer. I will lose this weight.

WOW... sounds like you've had an amazing life! And you have overcome SO MUCH, that weight-loss should be a cake-walk (sort of! ;) )!

Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin 'round your neck, cherie
And we'll provide the rest . . .

wdw-fantasyland-003.jpg

Before you tie that napkin round your neck would be a good time to review some pointers on portion control from my friends at sparkpeople.com, of course. ;)

Weigh and measure EVERYTHING.... at least for the first many months. It is the ONLY way to keep HONEST with what you are eating! As much as it might seem like a PITA or a chore, honestly, it gets to be a good habit and you figure out ways to make it a bit easier. For example.... I tend to use my scale to weigh everything possible.... that way I can put the food directly into the bowl/plate immediately and not dirty a measuring cup... plus it keeps me much more honest....can't "mound up" the measure cup if I'm not using one! 227 gr of yogurt is ALWAYS 227 gr..... not a "bit more" or a "bit less" depending on my measuring cup and technique that day. I also have MULTIPLES of the measuring spoons that I use a lot (primarily Tablespoon) so that I am not always digging in to the dishwasher or dish rack for a clean one.

If that seems to daunting, at LEAST measure the more calorie dense foods like oils, nuts, nut butters, salad dressings, mayo, syrup, sugar, full-fat cheese, etc.

I've been on this journey for 6 years, 1 month, and 4 days now and I STILL measure my salad dressing and peanut butter nearly every single time I eat it.

Hi! I'm behind on writing (but not on reading!) - here are my thoughts on today's QOTD, though, as this is something I try to manage every day.

When we cook dinner at home, I do use smaller plates. I also switch up the ratios - DH and I both tend toward lower-card mindfulness, while DDs really love their rice and pasta. So I'll give them the carb side (rice, pasta, whatever it might be) and cut it back or eliminate it for DH and myself, upping the veggie portions instead. The kids' plates end up more balanced, but DH and I are still mindful of our own priorities.

And that leads into the other thing I do, which is to plate our dinners. Instead of "family style" serving plates and bowls on the table, I plate our meals at the stove and put them at each place. This keeps me from mindlessly taking an extra spoonful or two (or five) of something I'm enjoying. If I want more, I have to make it a mindful decision and get up to go to the stove and get more. That has helped a lot! We also find that we have more leftovers for yummy lunches this way because we're not eating more than a serving at dinner.

We were JUST talking about this at WW this week and I asked how many folks put the serving dishes on the table versus leaving them on the stove... of course, I think SO FEW people actually sit down AT HOME for family meals any more, that the question was essentially moot. Glad to hear you are eating together!!!

I'm flying out tomorrow night to CA to surprise my sister for her birthday. Those who've been on the challenge threads for a while may recall my mentioning her crap situation right now - her husband left her a week after they bought their new house and a few weeks before their 10th anniversary. He lied to her and cheated on her and has still tried to claim that she's the one being difficult by standing up for herself in the settlement negotiations (she's been a SAHM since my older niece was born over 7 years ago). She's moving back home (to the Boston area) next month - we have lots of family and friends there, and it'll be great. But she's understandably exhausted and stressed, and I thought a surprise visit for her birthday this weekend might be the boost she needs to get her through these last few weeks of being out there. She has two good friends there who are helping me coordinate the surprise, and I can't wait to see her!

HOW WONDERFUL! She should be delighted to have you there! And glad that she is able to move "back home" to be surrounded by family to love her and help her out.

I know I'll be taking her out to celebrate her birthday (her soon to be ex has their daughters until Saturday night), so I'm already trying to plot my way through the unknowns of where we'll go, what I'll eat (and drink), and all that good stuff.

Enjoy within reason and you will have TWO reasons to celebrate that night!

The scale popped up a little bit for me after my initial Feb weigh-in, but I think it's about back to where it was now. Looking forward to checking in tomorrow with a weigh-in before I go - even though I have a planned cheeseburger/fries lunch on the schedule today! It's not about deprivation, it's about moderation...one cheeseburger isn't what put all the weight on, and one cheeseburger is just fine. I always get nervous about eating while I'm traveling, though, as I'm out of my routines and with fewer easy choices. It's just a couple of days. :)

Happy Thursday, all!

XO
Liz

Prayers for safe travels and a fun sister visit! Enjoy your cheeseburger! We have Boca burgers on the menu tonight and I am really looking forward to a full on "burger" with pickles and lettuce and tomatoes ! YUM!

Morning all! I"m coming on late because I was a good wife this morning and did the last round of snowblowing/shoveling (at least for THIS storm) for DH this morning. I did part of it before I took DS to school and then finished up the job when I got back. It was cold, but not particularly difficult.

I'm not working today so I plan on tackling DS's closet. I meant to get to it yesterday, but with him home and using his computer in his room, it was going to be a PITA.

TTYL....................P

I love the QOTD! This is what I struggle with the most. I need to make sure I measure my food. I don't have a scale so I guess I better invest in one. I also love the tricks mentioned here about smaller plate and what portion of the plate should be made up of certain foods. I stuggle getting my fruits and veggies in so knowing that my plate should be made up of at least 1/2 with veggies (non starchy veggies) would certainly do the trick. So what exactly is considered starchy veggies? Is it just corn, potatoes, carrots?

That works for me! :flower3: Thanks for jumping and volunteering to coach later this month. We almost have the month covered. :goodvibes

Hopefully that will work for Michelle and Pamela also.

Michelle, sorry your DH is sick now too. pixiedust: that everyone keeps their germs to themselves at your house.

Thanks so far still just the Hubs is sick - he is home again today but I put on my big girl panties and drove the truck in to work!

This works for me!!

Hi this works for me!

Thanks for the tip on the Trader Joe's LC tortillas, didn't know they had those. I'm not quite ready to add those into my diet yet but will be by March. Thanks again!

I purchase the Carb Balance ones by Mission at Walmart they have a wheat (eew) and a white - YUM - that is only 6 carbs.. I had a breakfast pizza on it yesterday morning (when I was home for the snow day) it toasted up nicely and tasted delish!!

Light and Bright for me -- I open the shades soon as I get up ! also I am more productive in the winter if I shower within 30 mins of waking up!

Measure This isn't something you’ll need to do forever, but it's a great place to start.

Downsize your dishware To combat the tricks our eyes play on our stomachs, switch to smaller plates (approximately 9 inches), cups (tall and narrow ones are better) and bowls.

I should start measuring again and using a smaller plate.. I got the free Rachel Ray ones from Shaw's and the dinner plates are HUGE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter