~WISH Away The Pounds~ AMAZING APRIL 2014 Challenge! *All Welcome!*

QOTD: What other healthy habits have you developed (or are you trying to develop) along with losing weight and exercising? Are you trying to quit smoking? Eliminate artificial sweeteners? Reduce caffeine? Reduce stress?

Stress is the big one for me. every time I diet my glands come up at some point and I feel rough (like today). I am not sure how to fix it' but I am still trying to keep up with the diet.
How about you?

Good morning all and HAPPY Wednesday! Wow, this week is just flying along!

As predicted I did NOT get on here yesterday. The day was a busy one with Kindergarten subbing in the a.m., preschool subbing in the p.m, and of course, my WW meeting in the evening. Thankfully my cold symptoms haven't gotten any worse. I did take a daytime cold pill while in school yesterday, but it made me kind of whoozy, so I won't make that mistake again! :rotfl:

I'm subbing 3rd grade today, but there is a decent computer in the classroom and I will have time to pop on today while they are at gym/art/music... whatever!

Apparently 5 kids are out from this class today with strep :sick: and the teacher I am subbing for left at 11 am yesterday with a stomach bug :eek:, so I will be doing a LOT of handwashing today!! :rolleyes1

I have a few minutes to do a few read and replies so that is what I will do!....P

So a little bit about myself as the new guy in this thread...

I second all the great thoughts shared with you :hug: and :welcome: to our group of LOSERS :thumbsup2

QOTD: What other healthy habits have you developed (or are you trying to develop) along with losing weight and exercising? Are you trying to quit smoking? Eliminate artificial sweeteners? Reduce caffeine? Reduce stress?

I'm trying to get in a habit of walking the dog daily now that the weather is nice. good for the dog and me :goodvibes I don't remember the specifics but my endo said it's good to walk 30 mins after a meal to keep insulin levels optimal for weight loss

Getting to bed earlier to ensure more sleep and to eat slower.

QOTD: I usually have an event that I need to lose weight for, but since I still carry most of the excess weight with me, that approach has not been exceedingly sucessful. When I went to the world for spring break overweight AGAIN, like I do every year - I took a good look at the approach I was using to lose the pounds. I am slowly making the shift in my thinking - not seeing my efforts as a quick fix but rather the keys to a long, healthy life with my kids.

Glad you are making that shift to a long-term health goal!

I have been following the advice here - I have tracked everything I have eaten since my weigh in on Saturday and it is going really well! :) I love all the workout DVD ideas you guys are throwing around. I have gone online and managed to find most of them at my public library - which will help me save money for upcoming vacations!

Thanks for all the support! You guys rock!
Keep up the good work :thumbsup2

Happy that you found some good workouts... for free!

QOTD: What did you have for breakfast? Do you regularly eat breakfast?

I eat breakfast every day! I love breakfast! And I'm hungry in the morning! I have a bunch of different things I like for breakfast, but on busy work days I usually stick to either egg whites (a sandwich or a scramble) or plain greek yogurt with fruit. And Friday is steel cut oats day! That is my post weigh-in carby treat! I've also been trying to incorporate smoothies occasionally, but I really miss having something to CHEW. Today I had a pumpkin smoothie made with almond milk, a bit of my leftover homemade apple juice to sweeten it up a bit and two big handfuls of baby spinach. It was really good. The apple juice was a nice addition!

I do eat breakfasr every day. It could be a bowl of cereal, some riccotta with some fruit, a smoothie or a couple of eggs with toast.

Thank you all for the kind words about the lossof my dad.

Also thanks about the Teacher of the year. I had been nominated before and never thought I would get it after 37 years. Many of the emails I got from friends was "Its about time"

You are the Susan Lucci of the Teacher world!! So many nominations and FINALLY a win!!:thumbsup2

For the last year or so I tried to eat breakfast every day. And over the last 6 months I tried my best to make it a healthy one every day! I usually have either muesli with yoghurt or this winter I discovered porridge. Both come with fruit. Sometimes I mix the fruit with it, but sometimes I just cut up an apple and eat it with it. Looking forward to the berry season to add those to my breakfast!

I've been buying organic frozen berries blends this winter. I really like them with my yogurt and the fresh are far too expensive and have too big a carbon footprint in the winter. I've had to try a few brands and blends, but I finally found the ones we like the best! I put the entire bag into a Tupperware container and put it in the fridge. That way it is defrosted and just the right temperature for our yogurt every day!

However, today I just could not get out of bed, so I had breakfast at the desk and that was not as healthy as my usual one. I had a soft pretzel from a local bakery, so lots of white flour. At least I know that their pretzels are fat free and I know that one pretzel has 5 points. So still ok from the points, but I have been trying to rely less on cards recently, so having dairy in my usual breakfast really helps in this regard, as well as the less refined oats I usually have.

As long as you know the PPV and you are aware that it shouldn't be an "every day" kind of choice, then you are fine! We all have our food "emergencies" sometimes!

Actually, I am thinking of trying to make some Bircher muesli for the summer instead of the porridge. For this you mix oats with grated apple and milk and let it soak overnight. So you only take it out of the fridge in the morning and it is ready to go. If I can get in a habit of preparing this, I can even on a day like this, just grab the container and eat it at my desk!

I have a few people who have told me about the overnight oats recipes, but I haven't tried it yet myself. The recipes I've seen usually call for mixing old-fashioned oats in yogurt overnight. Let me know if you like it.

So a little bit about myself as the new guy in this thread... 46 years old, live in Illinois.. about this time last year me and my wife of 13 years split up.. I right away, within about 3 months, reconnected with a old girlfriend from 20 years ago, even though she now lives in Texas, things went well, she came here a few times, I flew down there about 6 times.. But in the middle of this her soon to be ex killed himself, was a tough time for her, but she seemed to be doing ok.. Now she is a mess, in the last few months we have pretty much stopped talking, text occasionally.. she says just can't handle a relationship now, too many things she needs to work through alone.. honestly, she is the love of my life, only person I maybe really loved..

Soooo... here I am, very confused, so thought what the heck, feel like I am sort of waiting around for her to get her mind right... might as well get off my butt and get healthy.. joined a gym, eating better.. at 209 right now, want to get down to 180 which is what I was in college..

Lots of personal ups and downs and drama right now. Hopefully getting into the gym will help with the stress of all of that. Welcome to our group!

Wow, that sucks. But there is a bright side to never giving up hope. I have a little story with that. My mom was madly in love with her high school sweetheart. He went off to Vietnam. His unit came back stateside for some type of training and one night at a bar, he got a little drunk, met a pretty girl....you see where this is going. In short she got pregnant that night. He told my mother he wanted to marry her and not his one night stand, but she was having none of it, so he married the mother of his future child and my mother moved on and married my father. 30 years later, my (now divorced) mom and her sisters were visiting the town where they grew up and ran into her ex-sweetheart's sister doing the exact same thing. They chatted and that was that. A few weeks later, a random knock on my grandmother's door and the sweetheart was on the other side. He and my mom did the commuting thing (he was still living in the town where he raised his son, 4 states away) for a while and then he moved in and the rest is history. They have been married for 6 years. Its like a Hallmark movie. But in short, don't give up hope. If it is meant to be, she will come back to you.

What a GREAT story!!!!:love:

Today was my first day back to the gym in exactly 2 weeks. I was really nervous about going since I am still in quite a bit of pain. My trainer knew about my issues and sort of designed my own thing while the rest of the class was doing the standard class. My pain was surprisingly minimal during the class. I am in a bit of pain now (more than I was before going), but not too bad. I won't go back tomorrow like I planned because of it, but I am planning on going back thursday. I think I may go to the pool and swim a bit tomorrow. There is a water aerobics class I am toying with, but it is down the street from work, so the traffic will be a bear at that hour in order to get to the class, so thats a huge negative. Maybe I'll do yoga tomorrow.

Woohoo for an understanding trainer! Glad you were able to get back to the gym.

Hi. I support what others have said and it is kind of a life mantra for me: if it is meant to be than it will work itself out. You can and have forged ahead as far as you can. I like your plan to refocus on your healthy self. College weight - that would be a dream for me and it is a long way off. But I just hope I can make little steps in that direction.
Good to have that goal 'out there' too as I find that the discussions and support on here just help me to do a little bit more, and there it is, another tiny step towards the goal.:)

I agree!!

Well, a few years into my weight loss, I gave up Diet Coke. I stuck strong to that for a long time, but lately have had a few. I need to get back to my strong convictions regarding that because I KNOW it is just poison for my brain! I don't smoke and I know I have more artificial sweetener than I should. I have tried a few different kinds and haven't found a great NATURAL replacement yet. I use a few types of stevia, but haven't found one that I like for everything. I use xylitol occasionally, but that has carbs and calories. I use Splenda occasionally and steer clear of Equal and Sweet N Low.

I do drink coffee, but not excessive amounts.... but I am working on reducing the caffeine further in an effort to help reduce my hot flashes.

I don't have a lot of stress and I think I deal with the stress I DO have pretty well.... I clean when I am stressed!!

Okay friends! My kiddos are off to special. The morning went along okay, although the sub in here is treating me like I'm a bit stupid. Maybe I'm acting stupid?? But the day will move on, regardless.

I don't think my breakfast had enough (translate to ANY) protein, so my belly is getting rumbly. Unfortunately the only snack I packed was carrots, so while it might fill the hole, it isn't going to give me much energy!

Last night's new soup recipe is now in the "will try again" category. It wasn't an overall success as-is, but I think it could be a winner if I tweaked a few things about it. It was VERY watery and separated a lot in the crockpot. I also found it to be too spicy for my taste, but the men liked it. I also made a double batch, but it didn't really even feed the three of us. DS and DH each had two servings but I only had one small serving. Next time I am going to increase the veggies and add more (celery and carrots would have fit in nicely) and reduce the water (I used vegetable stock but it was still too watery) and perhaps even a bit of tomato paste to thicken it up. I might also consider adding some pureed beans to make it more of a creamy soup. I'll share the recipe when/if I get it right.

However, Monday night's recipe was a WINNER, so I will share that later today! I found it through Pinterest but it originally came from Skinnytaste.com.

Off to chomp on my carrots! ..................P

Here is the recipe I made Monday night.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/chicken-rollatini-with-spinach-alla.html

Just a few comments....

I made the chicken rolls up ahead of time and just did the egg wash and bread crumbs on the day of cooking. That worked fine.

DH and I BOTH agreed that this was better as leftover the second day, so you might consider baking it up ahead of time and just reheating to serve. It certainly would make things easy on a busy night!

I used plain greek yogurt instead of the ricotta for two reasons.... 1. I didn't have any ricotta and 2. I was trying to save calories. It was delicious!! I did add a bit of Italian seasoning and garlic to the filling.

I also used fresh baby spinach that I chopped up because I rarely buy frozen veggies.

I made DH's portion WITHOUT the breadcrumbs to help with the carbs and it was still delicious.

I will DEFINITELY be making this again!.....................P

Here is the recipe I made Monday night. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/chicken-rollatini-with-spinach-alla.html Just a few comments.... I made the chicken rolls up ahead of time and just did the egg wash and bread crumbs on the day of cooking. That worked fine. DH and I BOTH agreed that this was better as leftover the second day, so you might consider baking it up ahead of time and just reheating to serve. It certainly would make things easy on a busy night! I used plain greek yogurt instead of the ricotta for two reasons.... 1. I didn't have any ricotta and 2. I was trying to save calories. It was delicious!! I did add a bit of Italian seasoning and garlic to the filling. I also used fresh baby spinach that I chopped up because I rarely buy frozen veggies. I made DH's portion WITHOUT the breadcrumbs to help with the carbs and it was still delicious. I will DEFINITELY be making this again!.....................P

Gina from Skinnytaste is the best! She is probably my go to site on the Internet for recipes. Her Mexican recipes are awesome!

Gina from Skinnytaste is the best! She is probably my go to site on the Internet for recipes. Her Mexican recipes are awesome!

I've checked out her website a few times after pinning a few of her recipes. I definitely have a few more in the "try soon" pile! Do you have any particular favorites from her?............P

I've checked out her website a few times after pinning a few of her recipes. I definitely have a few more in the "try soon" pile! Do you have any particular favorites from her?............P

YES! White bean chicken enchiladas verde - hella prep but so worth it (which I make DH do anyway). Asian peanut noodles, chicken taco chili for slow cooker, Swedish meatballs, skinny salisbury steak, mushroom stroganoff, kid-friendly turkey chili -- these are all staples in the rotation at our house! We just tried her flounder milanese last week, which was also great. I use a lot of her salad recipes as well, both sides and main dishes - cobb salad and the fiesta bean salad come to mind. This is all without looking at my pinterest page, which has tons more, so that gives you an idea of how much I rely on her!

For those on WW, she also calculates all the points for you.

yikes! 3 QOTDs to catch up on!

1-I use "events" as a little motivation, but am more worried about the long haul.
2-I eat breakfast everyday, usually just a bowl of cereal.
3-I'm not developing any other healthy habits. Do sooo wish I could wean DH from diet coke. :mad:

Dona-hugs and congratulations!

QOTD: I am not trying to develop any other areas of my health at the moment. I really want to focus on the food this time. Every other time I have tried to lose weight, I have concentrated my efforts on working out and that system hasn't paid off AT ALL! I am working through my food issues with the help of WW right now and I am making steady progress. :)

My husband and I are both trying to get a better handle on our money. We are both teachers and it seems like we never get ahead of the curve. I don't want to spend my life living paycheck to paycheck. Between the healthy eating and the budget, and my two beautiful boys, I think that is about all the energy I have right now! :goodvibes

Morning all! Happy Throwback Thursday! I spent a few extra minutes on FB this morning posting a 10 year old picture of my kiddos with our favorite Mouse! I hope it brings a smile to their faces!

I'm well, but off to work again today! I'll be happy for the paycheck when it comes!

I should have a few minutes to chat here when I get to school, so I'll be back later!..............P

I'm back! I'm at school with no plans to speak of, but I figured out some stuff to do for reading and math and the teacher did leave a plan for science/writing, so we should be good.

DD called last night to announce that her proposal paper was accepted to be presented to the International Marine Congress (... something like that....IMCC) and so in August she will be heading to Scotland!!!:cool1: I"m so jealous I could spit, but SO excited for her! And doubly excited that this trip will be paid for with a GRANT, so other than paying to extend her stay so she can do some sightseeing, this won't cost me an arm and a leg!

I went out for my walk/run yesterday after school and definitely felt like the "exercise gods" were conspiring against me. First of all, it was MUCH colder than I thought and I was freezing in my yoga pants and zip-up hoodie. I ended up pulling the sleeves down over my hands and even put up the hood! Then, of course, my old lady bladder was totally feeling weak and every run segment was an effort in HOLDING IT! :lmao: Plus I started running and realized I forgot to change into my running bra and my regular bra just doesn't cut it! I gave in and cut my walk/run short by half. Sure, it was better than nothing, but it felt like a failure. If tomorrow's scale number isn't what I want, I have NO ONE to blame but myself!!

Tonight is Taco salad night at my house.... anyone else have something more interesting planned for dinner?

Kiddos are here! TTYL.....................P

QOTD: When you're in a hurry and tired, what is one of your healthy go-to meals that you prepare? Or, maybe, you can't prepare, what are the good to go snacks that you rely on?

We are taking a short family break to Cardiff, Wales. I have to attend a residential course teaching English as an Additional Language (advanced). Then there is a literary festival to visit and we have tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters, who I dreamed of seeing since I was very young. ( so a life goal). Staying in a hotel and trying to plan food...

Any ideas welcome :cheer2:

I'm back! I'm at school with no plans to speak of, but I figured out some stuff to do for reading and math and the teacher did leave a plan for science/writing, so we should be good. DD called last night to announce that her proposal paper was accepted to be presented to the International Marine Congress (... something like that....IMCC) and so in August she will be heading to Scotland!!!:cool1: I"m so jealous I could spit, but SO excited for her! And doubly excited that this trip will be paid for with a GRANT, so other than paying to extend her stay so she can do some sightseeing, this won't cost me an arm and a leg! I went out for my walk/run yesterday after school and definitely felt like the "exercise gods" were conspiring against me. First of all, it was MUCH colder than I thought and I was freezing in my yoga pants and zip-up hoodie. I ended up pulling the sleeves down over my hands and even put up the hood! Then, of course, my old lady bladder was totally feeling weak and every run segment was an effort in HOLDING IT! :lmao: Plus I started running and realized I forgot to change into my running bra and my regular bra just doesn't cut it! I gave in and cut my walk/run short by half. Sure, it was better than nothing, but it felt like a failure. If tomorrow's scale number isn't what I want, I have NO ONE to blame but myself!! Tonight is Taco salad night at my house.... anyone else have something more interesting planned for dinner? Kiddos are here! TTYL.....................P

Have nothing really to add other than I also do a lot of sub teaching, really enjoy it...

Got up late today, didn't work out, hoping to do it today.. if not can walk now that the weather is warmer..

QOTD: I am not trying to develop any other areas of my health at the moment. I really want to focus on the food this time. Every other time I have tried to lose weight, I have concentrated my efforts on working out and that system hasn't paid off AT ALL! I am working through my food issues with the help of WW right now and I am making steady progress. :)

My husband and I are both trying to get a better handle on our money. We are both teachers and it seems like we never get ahead of the curve. I don't want to spend my life living paycheck to paycheck. Between the healthy eating and the budget, and my two beautiful boys, I think that is about all the energy I have right now! :goodvibes

We have a few teachers on here don't we? My hubby isn't a teacher, but I totally support what you are saying. We would like to visit disney every year, but the flight is so expensive now that after we go this summer I am not sure when we will be able to go next. Like you, we want to focus, plan for future expense, such as tuition fees etc.
similarly, I can manage the food side of things, but I am just going to focus on that really. I did my Cher step excise this morning. Trouble is, now I am really hungry:upsidedow

QOTD: When you're in a hurry and tired, what is one of your healthy go-to meals that you prepare? Or, maybe, you can't prepare, what are the good to go snacks that you rely on? :

Whey protein, mix it up with water, good to go for a while...

Whey protein, mix it up with water, good to go for a while...

My daughter recently wrote that ' mummy doesn't really cook, but mainly it is the oven, it burns things', whilst there is a grain of truth in this :confused3
I am clueless. Is whey protein a dry powder and do I get it from the health shop?
:thumbsup2

I get it at Walmart, about $16 for a can... 22 servings, which is one scoop and has 25 grams of protein, think 240 calories.. Mix it with milk or water, I use water..

QOTD: When you're in a hurry and tired, what is one of your healthy go-to meals that you prepare? Or, maybe, you can't prepare, what are the good to go snacks that you rely on?

I can whip together a pretty fast sandwich!!:rotfl2: In a DIRE emergency I will spread natural peanut butter on a piece of low carb bread (roll, pita, tortilla....whatever), and grab an apple. I also keep a small supply of organic vegetarian burritos in the freezer. They are higher in carbs that I would normally want, but tasty and fast and easy to keep on hand. Yogurt with berries is another quick go-to meal.... sometimes with a bit of high fiber/no sugar cereal on top for crunch.

We are taking a short family break to Cardiff, Wales. I have to attend a residential course teaching English as an Additional Language (advanced). Then there is a literary festival to visit and we have tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters, who I dreamed of seeing since I was very young. ( so a life goal). Staying in a hotel and trying to plan food...

Any ideas welcome :cheer2:

Hotel food ideas. Welll...... will you have a fridge? Microwave? Are you flying or driving or train travel?

If you bring along a cooler or have a fridge, I would definitely bring along low fat cheese snacks (Laughing Cow or Baby Belle or string cheese), carrot and celery sticks, yogurt, hummus. Also (no fridge needed here).... apples, oranges, bananas, nuts, high fiber granola/snack bars, pretzels.

Are you thinking of whole meals or just snacks or breakfast in the room?

I'll help you come up with a plan if you give me a few more specifics!

Have nothing really to add other than I also do a lot of sub teaching, really enjoy it...

What grades do you do? I'm available to do K-12, but I stick primarily to the elementary school (preschool-4th). I REFUSE to do the middle school.... they are OBNOXIOUS at that age, and the high school doesn't call me much, which I'm sure makes my DS very happy! :rotfl:

Got up late today, didn't work out, hoping to do it today.. if not can walk now that the weather is warmer..

Maybe you could squeeze in a walk later??

We have a few teachers on here don't we? My hubby isn't a teacher, but I totally support what you are saying. We would like to visit disney every year, but the flight is so expensive now that after we go this summer I am not sure when we will be able to go next. Like you, we want to focus, plan for future expense, such as tuition fees etc.
similarly, I can manage the food side of things, but I am just going to focus on that really. I did my Cher step excise this morning. Trouble is, now I am really hungry:upsidedow

Sometimes we just need to pick a few priorities to work on..... or even just one thing at a time!! Life can be so crazy!

Sorry you were so hungry! Hope you found a good meal!

Okay friends! Math is nearly over, they are off to specials and I have a short break to eat my carrots, drink my seltzer, and have a bathroom break!

Hope you are all well and happy and healthy today! Our sunshine is deceiving today.... it looks nice (like yesterday), but it is actually pretty cold, down below freezing last night even! Today's workout will be inside. I am NOT going out for a walk outside again until I can go without gloves!

Off to chat with my Budget Board friends!.............P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter