• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wireless internet in rooms

donkortajr

Mouseketeer
Has anyone tried hooking a wireless access point up in the DVC rooms to allow multiple people in the room to have wireless internet?
Staying in a BLT Grand Villa in January, and 4 of us have laptops and would like to be able to use the internet.

-Don

Yup.

It works just fine and many people on these boards have done exactly what you want to do.

Yes, we bring our Apple Air Express router and just plug it and we're ready to go. We have it password protected so only ourselves and guest can access it.

I heard that Disney just converted Vero Beach to wireless and the new Hawaiian resort, Aulani will be wireless. I'm hoping that one day all of the DVC resorts will go wireless. But I realize that could take years. It would take lots of routers to cover all those wings and floors at the various resorts.

Wreless router from home will work, also can purchase pocket size wireless router such as D-Link or Apple's Airport Express and those will work but with those just make sure you set it up at home to communicate with computers so you don't have any issues doing so when you go.

Don't expect a fast connection with 4 on a Disney connection. We had 2 on a wireless router at BLT and it was like having a 9600 modem. :surfweb:

:earsboy: Bill

Has anyone tried hooking a wireless access point up in the DVC rooms to allow multiple people in the room to have wireless internet?
Staying in a BLT Grand Villa in January, and 4 of us have laptops and would like to be able to use the internet.

-Don

Yup. Every time we go.

Works just fine. Just make sure you enable security on the network...else you may find you have "piggybackers" hooking to your connection. Also...well, enabling security is just a smart thing to do.

Don't expect a fast connection with 4 on a Disney connection. We had 2 on a wireless router at BLT and it was like having a 9600 modem. :surfweb:

:earsboy: Bill

Hmm, that's odd.

We had 5 total devices (3 laptops, 2 phones) on our router last trip and didn't notice any significant slowdown (AKV, Kidani Village) compared to wireless connections at home.

I am determined to run an actual speedtest while at BLT in Aug and BCV in Oct - so I can see the actual connection speed at WDW.

I have done this multiple times and it works great. I use an older router which makes it even simpler since the security settings are the same as my current router. My device connect as soon as it is powered on.:thumbsup2

I have done this multiple times and it works great. I use an older router which makes it even simpler since the security settings are the same as my current router. My device connect as soon as it is powered on.:thumbsup2

Exactly! When I recently retired my Wireless G router, I set my new Wireless N router with exactly the same settings so I didn't have to set up anything on my machines. As soon as everything was running smooth, I took the old wireless G router and placed it into my disney luggage.

Exactly! When I recently retired my Wireless G router, I set my new Wireless N router with exactly the same settings so I didn't have to set up anything on my machines. As soon as everything was running smooth, I took the old wireless G router and placed it into my disney luggage.

Just what I did. Our old router is now in our Owners Locker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter