Wired internet at fort or nearby??

jennypenny

DIS Veteran
We're thinking of sneaking down the week after christmas. But my DH would need to work while we are there. He has wireless but he has to use wired access for some things (security reasons). Is there someplace to work with wired access? Usually he only needs wireless access but not this time.

I used one of the cable modems they have available here a couple of years ago, as long as you're on a site with cable or in a cabin. Easy to use. They charge your card for a pretty hefty deposit, but you get it back when you return it.

Only catch is that there are a limited number available, and I'm not sure if you can reserve them - you might want to call directly and confirm.

Someone here said that you can bring your own cable modem and hook it up. You will still have to pay for network access. I am not sure about it, but if you can confirm, might resolve any concerns.

I have to find a backup since he'll HAVE to connect while we're there. I'll call the business centers at BW and YC. Do any of the hotels near MK have a business center??

I think I heard on the PodCast some time ago that all the deluxe resorts have a business center, so it may be worthwhile to call Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary (each a boat ride away).

There is indeed a very nice business center at the Contemporary. But, if your DH is bringing his own computer, there are also ports for High Speed Internet access in the Fort's "Internet Cafe," which is located, for some reason, in the little building between the check in lanes. On my last visit, I saw that they even had Cat5 cables there for use.

As already stated, the Internet access on the camping loops and in the cabin is wired access, not wireless.

The information on this old thread is still accurate:

High Speed Internet at the Fort

TCD

Here are a couple of more photos of the "Internet Cafe". I had never stepped foot in here until the last trip when I was snooping around for the Before/After thread.

November2008174.jpg

November2008182.jpg

November2008180.jpg

November2008179.jpg

The last two photos that Tony posted above show the cables that I was talking about. They are already plugged into the wall, so you would just have to connect your computer, and you are on your way. You still have to pay the charge for the high speed connection, but there is also free dial up there.

TCD

I was at the Fort @ site 1330 from 12/5 thru 12/16. I used the cable modem kit that you can rent. The deposit is $125 but it is just held agaist your card and is removed when you check out.
The fee is $9.60 for 24 continuous hours so I would check business emails at 6pm one day and at 5pm the next. That way I only bought the service every other day and I think my total was around $60 for the week.
I had no problems with the cable modem and it was reasonably fast.

By the way my computer did find a weak wireless signal from that site but I didn't mess with it since I was charging off the computer charges anyway.

I think I heard on the PodCast some time ago that all the deluxe resorts have a business center, so it may be worthwhile to call Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary (each a boat ride away).

WL doesn't have a business center. When my camera died, I used my laptop to order one for in store pickup at a nearby store, but I needed to print the receipt to take with me. When I checked at the front desk at WL, they told me I'd have to go to CR. Since the store was close my office, I just went to the office and printed it before going to the store.

From what I understand, if the resort has convention meeting space, they have a business center. So that would be GF, CR, YC/BC, BW, and CSR.

I just tether my cell phone to my laptop whenever we travel. Unlimited data package for my phone is $15 a month and it's 3G so it's about as fast as cable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter