Winning a Disney Vacation

AWholeNewW0rld

Earning My Ears
Good Afternoon,

Just wondering if any of you reading have ever won a Disney World vacation or anything similar to it? If so, what all was in the package? Have a great day!

David

We won the DVC "Pack your Bags" sweepstakes a couple years ago when there was still a Doorway to Dreams outlet in the Chicagoland suburbs. We got four nights in a one bedroom, air fare for four, 5 day hoppers for 4, and best of all, 4 gift cards worth $300 each, one for each of us. We also got a check from Disney to offset the taxes on the estimated $10,000 value of the trip. Now, it didn't actually cost anywhere near that if you added up the actual prices of our plane tickets and the room, but that's what the stated value was, so the taxes were based on that. I was really happy Disney sent the check to cover the taxes, as in reality, the taxes on the prize cost the same or more than it would have cost us to actually just pay for the trip ourselves in cash, assuming the real value of our DVC points to us versus cash price for the same room.

The kids who were teens at the time did a good job rationing their gift cards, and though we started with a plan to take turns using each other's gift cards to pay for meals, that quickly went sour when they saw how much meals cost. Favorite reality check moment on trip: it's my 17 year old (at the time) daughter's turn to pick up the tab for lunch for us all at Typhoon Lagoon which was two adult meals, two kids meals (the kids wanted the toy buckets), a beer and a soda and when the cashier told her the charge was $40 something she just about lost it. They've been pretty oblivious traveling with us to Disney all these years what the meals actually cost. We were nice and let them keep the remainder of their cards for souvenirs. Originally when we won the prize they were calculating in their heads how many mickey bars they could get for $300 but as their balance came down everytime they bought something, they rapidly adjusted. They actually made those cards last through three trips!

I did years ago...it was all the bells and whistles for a family of 4. It was local raffle drawing at a grocery store. I gifted the trip to my grandparents so they could take my great-grandparents as they never flew before and didn't have much time left. I didn't want them dying and never had the chance to fly! My DH and I bring our two small boys all the time anyway!

My aunt won a trip from the contest Disney does every January where they give away a trip each day. It was a trip for 4 and included airfare, 4 nights hotel (her choice of resort and she chose GF) and 5 day PH tickets. She took my dd's on the trip. Dh & I went also (with our ds's) and we were allowed to reserve a room through the promo agency at a discounted rate (was almost 50% off). My aunt also received a $500 gift card.

We won the DIS Unplugged Photo Contest April '14.

It was run through their Facebook page. We submitted a photo and people could vote on it once a day every day... most votes won. I pretty much gave my life over to social media for a month recruiting friends and family to vote as well to share the link and get other people voting. I pulled on people's heart strings with sentimental posts, made some crazy memes, shot cute videos of my kids asking for votes... I even committed to dress up like a princess and dance down the streets of my hometown singing Let It Go and post it to YouTube if we won... :eek:
Well, it worked! We won a 6 Night/7 Day MYW Package with 7 day Park Hoppers and Dining Plan. We stayed at the AoA in a Lion King Suite.
It was an absolutely awesome trip and well worth the efforts (and making a fool of myself on video:rotfl2:).

*BTW if you aren't familiar, the DIS Unplugged podcast is a fantastic podcast by the creators of DISBoards.

Do yo
We won the DIS Unplugged Photo Contest April '14.

It was run through their Facebook page. We submitted a photo and people could vote on it once a day every day... most votes won. I pretty much gave my life over to social media for a month recruiting friends and family to vote as well to share the link and get other people voting. I pulled on people's heart strings with sentimental posts, made some crazy memes, shot cute videos of my kids asking for votes... I even committed to dress up like a princess and dance down the streets of my hometown singing Let It Go and post it to YouTube if we won... :eek:
Well, it worked! We won a 6 Night/7 Day MYW Package with 7 day Park Hoppers and Dining Plan. We stayed at the AoA in a Lion King Suite.
It was an absolutely awesome trip and well worth the efforts (and making a fool of myself on video:rotfl2:).

*BTW if you aren't familiar, the DIS Unplugged podcast is a fantastic podcast by the creators of DISBoards.
Can you share the photo you submitted?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter