Wine?

It depends on what you are expecting as wine. White and cold? Red and room temperature? In between?

Wine and food are meant to be together but that doesn't always mean you have to go by that "rule". If you ordered a nice thick steak, chances are, your suggested wine will be something red and room temperature. But if you wanted a nice crisp cold white wine, you are going to be disappointed.

Disney does a great job of paring up wines with food. Go with that but it might not be what you expected.

Actually red wine should not be served completely at room temperature. The proper temperature for most red wines is between 55-65 degrees. We always slightly chill our red wine and then use our wine thermometer to tell if it's at the right temp or not. There is a huge different in flavor between room temp red and slightly chilled as recommended. Slightly chilled red wines actually enhance the flavor.

To the OP it depends on what you're interested in. White or red and what you're eating. Most often with seafood & chicken you pair with white wines. Darker meats such as beef are paired with reds. Pork can go either way depending on how it's prepared.

During the summer I drink a lot more white wine than I do red. White wines tend to be crisper and more refreshing. When it's hot out I prefer to drink something colder. Reds tend to be bold, oaky and warming. That's why they're great in the winter.

I noticed you live in Michigan. Not sure where but I do know that there are some decent wineries there that you can do tastings at and figure out what you like. That is if they're close enough. Either that or call around to your local liquor stores that specialize in wines and ask them. There might even be liquor stores that do wine tastings as well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I might try and pick up a bottle of both white and red over the next few weeks and see if we have a preference for one over the other.

Does anyone know if any of the restaurants actually have a dedicated sommelier?

Yes, they do. I don't know the assignments. I did a hard ticket event during the 2007 F&W and the Sommiliers where assigned per table and they introduced them all.

The entire staff is very knowledgable on wines of the Pacific Northwest that are served there. I have let my server pick my wines on more then one occasion there. Are you Tea drinkers? If so, how do you like your tea...do you keep the teabag in til the end, you prefer a quick dunk to make barely colored water? There actually a wine reason behind the tea question. It has to do with tannins.

I was looking for a thread on wine pairings & happened upon this thread. My DH & I enjoy wine, but we've still got a lot to learn. I pretty much know what I don't like, vinegary or woodsy (what I imagine dirt tastes like) Reds & the Chardonnays I've tasted. I like Reislings, most Blancs, sweeter reds, some ports & dessert wines. I'm curious to know how tea relates to wine. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions to attempt to expand my wine palate. :teeth: I like weak tea, btw. ;)

I was looking for a thread on wine pairings & happened upon this thread. My DH & I enjoy wine, but we've still got a lot to learn. I pretty much know what I don't like, vinegary or woodsy (what I imagine dirt tastes like) Reds & the Chardonnays I've tasted. I like Reislings, most Blancs, sweeter reds, some ports & dessert wines. I'm curious to know how tea relates to wine. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions to attempt to expand my wine palate. :teeth: I like weak tea, btw. ;)

Have you ever drank a cup of tea that was brewed too long for your liking and it made you pucker? Well it is the same compound that many do not like in wine. It's a tannin. Here is a good description of tannins

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter