Wine lovers thread

I've never heard of 3 buck chuck... is that a regional thing?

At Trader Joe stores in Calif., Charles Shaw wine sells for $1.99, hence the name two-buck-chuck. The same wine sold at Trader Joe stores in other states may cost over $3 or $4, and is called three-buck-chuck or four-buck-chuck accordingly.

My favorite inexpensive wine at the moment is Firesteed Pinot Noir (from Oregon) -- its about $13-14 a bottle here.

I've never heard of 3 buck chuck... is that a regional thing?

It depends where you are. It isn't sold in Md because Md doesn't allow alcohol sales in groceries, and carry outs. What are the laws in Tx? I stock up on it when I'm in Ohio. I also buy wine at Sams when I am there.

Oh my goodness, after much lurking on the DIS boards I finally found the best thread ever!

I loveeee wine. I am way into sweeter wines I'll drink mostly any white wine, my go to is Starling Castle Riesling. I am trying to transition into red wines but everything I have tried is too dry. Can anybody reccomend anything for me?:confused3 TIA!

If you like Reisling, try the Chateau St. Michelle... this used to be our "house wine". It also sold for WELL under $10/bottle. I haven't bought any in a long time so no idea what it is now.

I'm not picky about reds or whites... Lately I've been on a Chardonnay kick. I really like the Black Box Chardonnay. Costco had it for like $14 for a while, but it wasn't there last time I went. Instead there was this weird blue box of organic white wine... It makes me think of welches grape juice. Won't be buying that again.

For reds, I love Malbecs... I also like Shiraz (one the the best is Black Opal... like $8-9 here). There is a Zinfandel (red, not white) called Fife RedHead that I had at (I think) the California Grill... it is one of my favorites, but is about $25/bottle and hard to find. There is also another really great Shiraz that I had at Jiko, and for the life of me can't remember the name.

Anyway... yay for a wine thread!

I'm a red wine girl. My current favorite is a red zin from Campus Oaks. Big on the berry flavors with a little bit of spice. It's around $11 a bottle.

I Love wine but it has to be Sweet. We have found that Duplin wine is our Favorite.
It all sells for about 8 -12.00 a bottle. I love just about everyone that i have tried of the Duplin, whites and reds.

So if you are into sweeter wines then you need to give Duplin a try.

Is anybody else a fan of unoaked Chardonnays? I was buying a lot to A-to-Z unoaked Chardonnay at $10 a bottle, but our local wine shop can't get it anymore. I've also had a yummy unoaked Chardonnay from, I think, Lolonis, but I've only had it in a restaurant a few times and can't find it in a wine shop (I do like the Lolonis Chardonnay I buy at my local wine shop, but it doesn't say it's unoaked).

Red wines--DH and I discoverd we really like ripasso-style valpolicella wines from Italy (tasted them first at the wine tasting class I mentioned in an earlier post). We've bought a couple different ones now and they were both heavenly! One is Mara and was around $15, the other unfortunately I can't tell you the name, but I could walk right to it at the wine shop. :goodvibes

The ripasso wines ferment valpolicella wines with the leftover skins of Amarone wine (at $50 a bottle, we can't afford amarones!). They have a rich, full, grapey flavor. :cloud9:

I just had me a bottle (well DH helped a little) of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay. YUMMY!!! It's around $18/bottle, but oh so good!!

Woo hoo! Winos of the DIS unite!

I love, love, love wine...mostly red, especially cabernet or shiraz/syrah. I do enjoy Reisling and some pinot grigio as well. Right now my favorite wine is the Coppola Claret. We also had a bottle of Silver Palms Shiraz a few weeks ago that was pretty delish, too. Le Snoot cabernet is decent, and I love the name!

We love Coppola as well. Their Merlot, Zinfandel and Chardonnay are just a tasty as the Claret! Other favorite vineyards: Columbia Crest Grand Estates (great Merlot), Liberty School (awesome Cabernet and good Chardonnay as well), Mondavi Select (Merlot and Cabernet) and Chateau Ste Michelle (Great Chardonnay and decent Merlot). I also like Kendall Jackson, both the variatels and the meritages!

DH prefers reds, but I like having whites around as well. We both prefer dry wines, so we stay away from White Zins and dessert wines.

$18 for KJ :scared1: we get it here for $12. It used to be my favorite but I've drinking many other chardonnays lately.

Oh--don't tell me that. :headache: I get excited when I can find it for $16. I'll have to look for it in Ohio next week. I can usually get wine cheaper when I visit home.

Dh and I both love merlot and cab. Most of the time we get them at Trader Joes but I don't drink 2 buck chuck because it gives me a 10 buck headache.

We've found several we love and all are under 10 bucks.

My current favorite wine is Red Cat from Hazlitt Vineyards in the Finger Lakes. Red Cat is a semi-sweet, fruity blend. Goes well with hamburgers, pizza & chicken wings!
I used to drink white Zin all the time, but now I love my Red Cat! I think I will have a glass...

I am a sucker for this wine at Trader Joe's, its called Asti and it is a white wine and is very sweet. It is perfect along side fruit. Whenever I give out dinner parties, I tend to serve this along side frozen grapes, apples,strawberries and rasberries.

Oh my goodness, after much lurking on the DIS boards I finally found the best thread ever!

I loveeee wine. I am way into sweeter wines I'll drink mostly any white wine, my go to is Starling Castle Riesling. I am trying to transition into red wines but everything I have tried is too dry. Can anybody reccomend anything for me?:confused3 TIA!

Out of lurkdom! Welcome!!

I, too, am trying to transition into reds and have not found anything that I like either. Forget Merlot and Shariz, like sucking on cotton balls!

I go to TJ's fairly often and they often have a red and a white. I have yet to find a red I liked (except for a sparkling red Cova, which as delish).

I'm learning to love reds after many, many years of Pinot Grigio's and Chardonay's. Thanks to some folsk at the Cali Grill a couple of years ago - my favorite red is a blend, called Jade Mountain. I have to order it at a local liquor store.
03413T.jpg

My favorite Chardonay is Cakebread... The best! Second favorite is Matanzas Creek Chardonay.
2337784733_6eb200b8d6.jpg

cakebread_chard.jpg

I like wine just a little LOL! I also love a Merlot and found one for under $10. Columbia Crest.
columbia%20crest%20merlot.jpg

Columbia Crest is one of my favorite Merlots

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter