Wine is my guilty pleasure

lewiswharf

Earning My Ears
Super excited for our Walt Disney World trip, January 25 to February 1.

I've been doing a lot of searching on the forums and I'm having difficulty finding wine related info that is not specific to the festival.

Are there any good wine bars? What restaurants have the best wine lists (i.e. variety, price, ambience etc.)? If there was only one variable to your Walt Disney World vacation and it was wine, where would you go?

I hope to come back and post a non-festival wine experience overview.

Cheers!

One thing I can tell you is that many of the non-signature TS restaurants share the same boring wine list. And most of the signature restaurants have expanded and unique wine lists. I personally love the wine list at California Grill, and they do have a very nice bar area as well. Would also recommend Jiko and Yachtsman; but I'm sure any of the signature restaurants would have good options. And of non-signature locations, Sanaa has an excellent lounge and somewhat expanded wine list. Both Jiko and Sanaa have mostly South African wines. You can also find some interesting wine selections at Epcot's World Showcase; though I'm a bit of a wine-snob and don't necessarily think they're superior choices (just different from what you can find at most Disney restaurants.)

We really like the wine bar in the rear of the giftshop in Epcot's Germany. They offer wine flights & usually have a few unique wines that I've never seen before. We always make a pit-stop there at some point during our Epcot day.

Since we're going in November and wine geeks, I perused the California Grill wine lists. The reserve list is a better deal than the regular list although he wines are more expensive. The markups for the reserve are 2x retail and the regular list is 3x retail at least. Neither list is that great as most of the wines are mass-produced and nothing special.

I'd really not go to WDW looking for great wines.
BD

I agree with the poster who said that most of the non-signature restaurants have a standard and boring wine selection. Sanaa is the exception, and I love their lounge. I also enjoy the wine at California Grill, Jiko and Bluezoo.

Since we're going in November and wine geeks, I perused the California Grill wine lists. The reserve list is a better deal than the regular list although he wines are more expensive. The markups for the reserve are 2x retail and the regular list is 3x retail at least. Neither list is that great as most of the wines are mass-produced and nothing special.

I'd really not go to WDW looking for great wines.
BD

I have to agree, I wouldn't go to WDW expecting a great wine experience. Like food, it is geared toward the common denominator of the masses.
Germany, Italy and France in WS at Epcot all have wine for tasting and for sale.
Jiko supposidly has a great So. African wine list.
I agree with PP your best bet is probably at the Signature Restaurants, or the restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin hotels in the Epcot resorts area.
Good Luck and Have Fun

We love wine too although I tend to drink frozen cocktails in the Florida heat.

Our favourite places for wine are Boma for the South African wine flights, Kouzzina has some greek specialities and does greek wine flights too. We also had some nice Canadian wine in Le Cellier.

We don't really go for the European wines at EPCOT as we can get them cheap as chips at home but they do have a good French selection in France in EPCOT.

Jiko. hands down. and when you are done there you wander on over to the gift shop and drooooool over the selection of South African reds...

and of course V&A needs no mentioning at all. the sommelier really knows his stuff.

Jiko. hands down. and when you are done there you wander on over to the gift shop and drooooool over the selection of South African reds...

and of course V&A needs no mentioning at all. the sommelier really knows his stuff.

Me too--I am starting the final course for my Sommelier certificate in two weeks! :good vibes:goodvibes

I'm sorry to say that most of the wine lists at WDW offer a certain corporate homogenized sameness. (Since I am not from the U.S., even WDW wine lists offer me the chance to try some American wines I can't get at home, so that is the upside for me). It is unfortunate that the more interesting offerings are available at Signature restaurants where you wind up paying $$$ for the experience.

As I recall, the best wines by the glass that I found at WDW are available in the small bar on the second level of the Grand Floridian--can't recall the bar's name right now. :confused3

I can't speak as to the Jiko/Boma wine lists because we avoid those restaurants due to some major food allergies. My experience with S.A. wines is that they are constantly improving, and that they have not hit their potential yet.

Rather than pursuing unique and different wines at WDW, I would be tempted to book dinner at V & A with the wine pairings--a case of "go big, or go home" in my case!

Thank you everyone for the answers! For what it's worth we're not going to Walt Disney World for the wine, but I do love my wine and my body doesn't tolerate other alcoholic beverages. I'm not looking for my next amazing wine experience, just a wine experience that complements a great vacation.

One thing I can tell you is that many of the non-signature TS restaurants share the same boring wine list. And most of the signature restaurants have expanded and unique wine lists. I personally love the wine list at California Grill, and they do have a very nice bar area as well. Would also recommend Jiko and Yachtsman

We have reservations at the California Grill (my favorite restaurant on the property) but I must admit I've never taken advantage of their wine list, will do this time.

We really like the wine bar in the rear of the giftshop in Epcot's Germany. They offer wine flights & usually have a few unique wines that I've never seen before.

This is great, I love doing wine flights! Will be sure to visit this wine bar.

The markups for the reserve are 2x retail and the regular list is 3x retail at least.

Thank you, this is really good to know!

I agree with the poster who said that most of the non-signature restaurants have a standard and boring wine selection. Sanaa is the exception, and I love their lounge. I also enjoy the wine at California Grill, Jiko and Bluezoo.

I'm starting to see a trend with the recommended restaurant wine lists.

Germany, Italy and France in WS at Epcot all have wine for tasting and for sale. Jiko supposidly has a great So. African wine list. I agree with PP your best bet is probably at the Signature Restaurants, or the restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin hotels in the Epcot resorts area.

We are staying at the Boardwalk Villas, so getting over to the Swan and Dolphin for a nightcap should be easy. Also glad to know that we could get a bottle in Germany, Italy, or France if we want to bring one back to the room :-)

Our favourite places for wine are Boma for the South African wine flights, Kouzzina has some greek specialities and does greek wine flights too. We also had some nice Canadian wine in Le Cellier.

Never done any Greek wine flights. Pinotage is a favorite so I'm definitely going to have to chase down one of these South African dominant wine list. Will look into Boma!

Sounds like Jiko definitely needs to be on my list :-)

As I recall, the best wines by the glass that I found at WDW are available in the small bar on the second level of the Grand Floridian--can't recall the bar's name right now. :confused3

I'll definitely check this one out! Thank you :-)

I wouldn't bother with the wines in Epcot (Italy, France, Germany). They sell mass produced major label wines (a beer analogy--think Budweiser--mass produced, less than mediocre quality) like Banfi, B&G, DuBoef, etc.

Stick with places like California Grill, Jiko, Flying Fish, etc. for interesting wines.

If you are staying at Boardwalk, Il Mulino at the Swan is going to be your best option. Ca Grill doesn't offer anything we can't get at home. We do enjoy the selections at Jiko.

I don't often do pairings at V&A because it's too much wine but I always get a glass of the red pairing with my meat course.

But we do enjoy a few glasses at the pool every day and some evenings....if we had to rely on Disney for our wine choices, we'd go broke....a glass doesn't go nor a bottle going to last long between 2 people very long....

We pick up what we want in route (car service offers a 30 minute grocery stop) and we hit a Publix with a liquor store next door...like a said, 1 bottle for 9-12 nights isn't going to cut it....plus there's other beverages we like and do not want to be gouged by Disney pricing...so we supply ourselves in route.....

Sometimes on a very hot day, a few super cold beers taste great, but at 5.50 a pop at the pool bar and 9.00 for a slushie cocktail....you can see where the bar bill will be bigger than your room rate....and it's so easy to pack a collapsable cooler, throw in some ice from the ice machine and head out...

We pick up, beer, wine and alcohol and have it in the room and is easily transported to the pool for consumption and I don't have to worry about the sticker shock when we return home....and like potato chips, you can't just have one....especially staying on site and not having to drive anywhere...we do enjoy our beverages daily....

We pick up assorted cheeses, crackers and sandwiches fixings at the store....cut it up, put some wine in a plastic water bottle or 2 ans head to the pool, on a late night evening, hardly anyone at the pool....we can sit, go over the day and plans for the next...and munch and have a night cap with no trouble...most pool bars close at sun set and we like to unwind at the pool after a long park night...with a glass of wine.....

Sorry for the long scenerio, but just want to give alittle insight on how a wine drinker likes to do Disney...

But we do enjoy a few glasses at the pool every day and some evenings....if we had to rely on Disney for our wine choices, we'd go broke....a glass doesn't go nor a bottle going to last long between 2 people very long...

We pick up what we want in route (car service offers a 30 minute grocery stop) and we hit a Publix with a liquor store next door...like a said, 1 bottle for 9-12 nights isn't going to cut it....plus there's other beverages we like and do not want to be gouged by Disney pricing...so we supply ourselves in route...

We pick up assorted cheeses, crackers and sandwiches fixings at the store...
Sorry for the long scenerio, but just want to give alittle insight on how a wine drinker likes to do Disney...

I agree, there'll be some of this going on as well :-) Unfortunately, we are using Disney's transportation to get from the airport to the resort and won't be able to pick up anything on the way there. I'm in a power wheelchair and transportation can be tricky, so this is the best option.

Does anyone know if there are any places at the airport that sell wine?

I'm planning to pack a couple bottles, as well as some cheese and crackers, for some evenings on the balcony as a pre-appetizer to our dinner reservations.

I am both a wine drinker and a connoisseur, best of both worlds!

We really like the wine bar in the rear of the giftshop in Epcot's Germany. They offer wine flights & usually have a few unique wines that I've never seen before. We always make a pit-stop there at some point during our Epcot day.

This is our favorite spot too, but we prefer German wines above all others. We're not wine aficionados though. We just know what we like.

OP, there's also a wine walk in Epcot. The participating countries are France, Italy, & Germany. You can purchase a card in the wine shop at any of them. With the card you get 2 small glasses of wine in each of these countries. I can't remember the price, but it was very reasonable. They're not the best wines on the market, but average wine drinkers would enjoy them.

We don't really go for the European wines at EPCOT as we can get them cheap as chips at home but they do have a good French selection in France in EPCOT.

Would you like to become my new BFF? :laughing: Since we're now such good friends, I'll take some German wines please. ;)

I agree, there'll be some of this going on as well :-) Unfortunately, we are using Disney's transportation to get from the airport to the resort and won't be able to pick up anything on the way there. I'm in a power wheelchair and transportation can be tricky, so this is the best option.

I'm planning to pack a couple bottles, as well as some cheese and crackers, for some evenings on the balcony as a pre-appetizer to our dinner reservations.

Garden Grocer or We Go Shop may deliver wine, but I'm not sure. We live so close we don't need grocery services. It's worth a try to contact them to see if you can work something out.

Also, most of the signature restaurants have a bar where you can order wine, w/o dining in the restaurant.

Like you, I rely on Disney transportation. And living in Chicago, I can get much better wine at home than I could get in Orlando, even if I could go offsite. And when I bring wine to Disney, I use these to keep them safe in my checked bags - they are great:

http://wineskin.net/

Citircos, in Grand Floridian has a much overlooked, large, pleasant bar area at the front of the restaurant with some good by the glass choices, and great bottles. Wine list changes often, but Disney website has representative wine list.

We are big sushi fans and like reds with our sushi. Kimonos at the Swan has a good bottle or two, and a fun environment.

Have a fantastic trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter