Wine and Dine 2015

Local news has rain at a 30-percent chance for Saturday, mostly in the morning. I'm choosing to believe them instead of Weather.com because they're local.

Plus, I'd rather run the 5k in rainish conditions rather than the half ...

Weather.com is showing rain all through next week so I hope you are right! Accuweather says rain sat afternoon. So I guess we have to pick which we want to believe!

Last year was chilly, but I got too warm in a rain jacket and ditched it at mile 2. I run in the rain all the time, so I'm not worried about that - but I'd prefer to stay dry while waiting to start - and if I'm not running, I won't overheat in a poncho :)

But...

IT'S NOT GOING TO RAIN!!!

Yes, and that's a great plan!

It's a running joke among my friends and I just how wrong the Weather Channel and its app often are here! No joke, it once said my local weather was "sunny and warm" while I was standing in a torrential rain storm. I find WESH and Accuweather to be pretty accurate for WDW.

I've been watching WESH and Channel 13. My Mom swears that if it rains, it will be for like 10 minutes and has told me to stop talking about it, so there you go!

We were just there in September and Weather channel said it was supposed to rain all 5 days. It never rained once. I also like Accuweather. :)

If it wasn't for @Miranda I wouldn't have known about my new fave running shoe source- left lane sports. At least, I think that was you, wasn't it Miranda? That's where you got your Alta's from I thought?
Yes, that was probably me. :) @wilkeliza it is a website, http://leftlanesports.com. They sell a lot of overstock stuff, kinda like 6pm.com (which is another of my favorite sources of cheaper stuff).

I run in a retired model of Altra Olympus right now, and I'd gotten my first pair of normally $130 ones for $55 and then a backup pair for $65 elsewhere (Running Warehouse and Amazon), but then one day I noticed LeftLane had one color for $29.95 each so I snagged 2 more backup pairs. I think it might have been a mistake because like a week later they were back to $85 (and they are still there). I'm probably good for at least the next year! I just started warming up the first backup pair this past weekend to use at W&D. :D

I wasn't planning to bring my visor but I guess I should in case of the dreaded R. I bought it earlier this year but have never ended up wearing it because I think it's a little too small for my head. :) I'm going to keep an eye out at the expo for a better visor though in case of the dreaded R. :)

I'm wearing the super cute hat DD25 made for my costume which should help with any dreaded R but not so good for really hot weather. Hmmm.... may add some "vents" to it maybe. It is a mesh trucker hat but my head got hot on my last 3 mile run (and it was only 60 here).

I'm going carry on only this trip, possibly only a backpack as I can pack light for a weekend. Being a guy makes the 3-1-1 packing pretty easy and using the hotel toiletries are also a help. Some traveler friends gave some great tips on travel clothes which wash and dry quickly reducing my packing needs. Tech shirts are the same way. Wear one pair of shoes pack 1 pair in the bag and one hanging outside and my race clothes are the same for whatever conditions. Throw in a couple of garbage bags, just in case. Not forgetting my Bose QC-25 (love these!!), iPad for movies and reading, and chargers for my electronics and Garmin.

Finally getting excited about this trip.

Definitely not going carry on only, but I am going to carry on my Bean's tote bag with my running essentials along with my laptop bag. Glad someone mentioned that earlier in the thread. I would have never thought to carry on my running stuff just in case. :o

I apologize if I added to your stress - NOT my intention! flatlandcycle's got it: we're just OVER the heat down here. It's been blazing hot since March: it's simply exhausting to live in that day in, day out, for so long. To add long distance training into it starts taking a toll, too: I'm training for a full, so I'm up to 17 miles in this heat. It's rough. But it's a very different situation for folks who haven't been stuck in it for so long! Be careful, run safe, take time to cool off and hydrate as needed, and you'll be fine :)
It's okay! I appreciate the honesty. I'd rather someone tell me that yeah, it's been a bit rough and have the opportunity to prepare myself than have someone else say it won't be a big deal and be in for a big shock. I just wish I could pack up the weather we have up here in Wisconsin (which is also significantly above average for early November, but very nice) and bring it with me! It would be absolutely beautiful and perfect for race night!

Rain is the least of my troubles. The heat here this week is really knocking me around. Last time I tried to run a half in these kind of temps I ended up with heatstroke! I'd just like Mother Nature to turn the heat down just a little, and then even if it rains, I'll be happy :)

Rain is the least of my troubles. The heat here this week is really knocking me around. Last time I tried to run a half in these kind of temps I ended up with heatstroke! I'd just like Mother Nature to turn the heat down just a little, and then even if it rains, I'll be happy :)
I really don't want rain during the race, unless it's just quick passing on and off showers. But I do agree with whoever it was who mentioned earlier that maybe some rain on Saturday afternoon would be good, if it dropped the humidity a bit.

I apologize if I'm repeating a previous post but wondering if anyone has a photo of last year's W&D 1/2 medal.....and/or one for the kids races? Also, realistically does anyone try to hit one of the parks during the day on race day? I've never done a runDisney race and am thinking I'll start planning (way) ahead and do this one next year. :)

Chiming in on a note of positivity regarding the weather. As of right now (weather changes so rapidly so who knows if this will hold true), there's supposed to be a cold front moving into the eastern US Saturday night/Sunday morning to drop the unseasonably hot temps (http://www.weather.com/forecast/national/news/fall-reality-check-temperatures-midwest-south-east). Maybe it'll time out perfectly and move in at around 9 p.m. Saturday night :thumbsup2

No matter what the weather--hot or wet--I'm ready to have some fun!! Bought some travel size body glide today so I'm prepared for either. We're almost there guys!
party:

Last run this morning: 6.47 miles, 56:20.2, 8:43/mile - was 55 degrees and 65% humidity (rained last two days and overnight). Will do an acclimation 5k run once we get to Orlando Thursday night...

Like everyone else, hoping for no rain but more concerned about humidity/heat. Grew up in Wisconsin/Iowa so have dealt with weather/humidity but have been in Northern California last few decades so I've forgotten what it's like to run in the humidity/heat (haven't done a race in Florida since Goofy in 2008) - now I'm doing W&D, Dopey 2016, Castaway and SW Dark Side Challenge :)

Reading about garbage bags as rain protection pre-race took me back to the worst weather I've experienced prior to (and during) a half marathon. The Paris Semi-marathon in 2008 - was raining horizontal and 37 degrees - the garbage bags were a lifesaver prior to that race. It was also my first exposure to bananas offered on a course - people just threw the peels down making for a slippery mile 8!!!
:banana:

I apologize if I'm repeating a previous post but wondering if anyone has a photo of last year's W&D 1/2 medal.....and/or one for the kids races? Also, realistically does anyone try to hit one of the parks during the day on race day? I've never done a runDisney race and am thinking I'll start planning (way) ahead and do this one next year. :)

There is an earlier post of this years medal. I think the kids races medals are the generic ones, but I could be wrong. We are doing some park time between races. I want to walk out any knots and take DS out for a bit. My parents will come with us and take over when I go back to the hotel to rest up for the evening. I think I will likely head back around 2.

DD25 fell down her stairs yesterday and has now elected to stay back and do my intervals with me. In fact, we may walk more than I usually do. She is ok, just having ankle and neck pain. Don't text and do stairs! :/

Oh no! Hopefully she recovers quickly and you both enjoy running together!

OMG same here. I actually have scars on my legs from mosquito bites. I was telling one of my co-workers the other day about my extreme reactions and he said "You mean they don't go away after 24 hours?" I was like "Wait, what? No...mine are itchy for at least a week."

I'm in the extreme reactions group. Life in Florida is rough! In high school I went to horesback riding camp each summer and the first summer I worked the camp all summer I got eaten alive and all of my joints exploded. They were quadruple the size. I couldn't put my riding boots on and someone had run off with my runners. It was horrible! I had to be taken to the doctor and put on medicine and sit a few things out till I could function normally!

I wasn't planning to bring my visor but I guess I should in case of the dreaded R. I bought it earlier this year but have never ended up wearing it because I think it's a little too small for my head. :) I'm going to keep an eye out at the expo for a better visor though in case of the dreaded R. :)

Worst case scenario I've been thinking I might pick up a visor from Sparkle Athletic. Seems like a good excuse to try one out. ;) but I am also throwing in a free hat just in case. I never run in a hat or visor so I'm not sure I want to spend the money on one.

After he went through another day of tests and fluids, we're so happy to have our dog home. And all clear for us to travel to W&D tomorrow. On our way to see y'all! :dogdance:

Woo hoo! So glad he is better and you are off to Disney tomorrow! :yay:

I am definitely taking all of my running essentials carry-on. My biggest nightmare so far is about losing my luggage and having nothing to run in. Eek!

I just have to get through one last day of work and then I'm off. Getting nervous!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter