Wine and Dine 2015

You too?! I used bug spray for the Sat party and still got nailed! Needless to say, I left that bottle of bug spray in my bag to go back this weekend. ;)

I'm usually the main target for mosquitos, so it happens pretty much everywhere - but I was REALLY surprised at how bit up I got!

Blech! I didn't think about bug spray. The last few runs at Disney were in January and bugs weren't much of a problem that I noticed. I'm guessing they must be a lot more prevalent right now, huh? I hate running with stuff on my skin, but, oh well. Do what you have to do. Glad you posted that though as I wouldn't have thought about getting bug spray.

We leave in 48 hours!! Woohoo!!!!!

OH, and on the subject of water intake, I agree completely on not overhydrating. We did that for the Marathon in 2014 and I ended up having to make way too many potty breaks. So, we will just do our normal hydrating before the races and then drink to thirst during the run. Other than our first marathon there, we haven't carried any fluids with us and just relied on the supplied water and powerade. Even though I don't usually like powerade, I can handle it for the race. It's nice not to have to carry anything.

Even though temps and humidity won't be ideal, I'm hoping that the lack of sun will help make it at least a bit more tolerable. After running the marathon in 2013 in 80degree temps and blazing sun, I have to think this will be better than that.

Minniebeth you just made me tear up! And I don't cry ever!

I love the mile dedication idea. Can I steal that?

:flower3:
ABSOLUTELY! A good friend shared that with me years ago and it's been a tradition ever since.
Running is a journey and it's nice to think about the things and people who have inspired us, supported us, etc.

The last 2 ToT runs i dont remember seeing. any skeeters. If they are there hope to find them big enough to help carry me along the course. Some of these suckers can be quite huge. Also be glad it is not love bug season too.

I normally get bitten a LOT by mosquitos (my husband and I can be sitting outside and I will come away with 20+ bites...he will come away with zero :headache:) and I didn't get any bites at Wine & Dine in 2013 or 2014. :confused3

Hey, I'm still bitter that you guys beat us (Cleveland) in 1995. I was 11. STILL BITTER!

And yeah...I'm from CLEVELAND. As far as sports misery goes, beat that! :rotfl2:

Whenever I hear someone say how their city never wins I smirk and laugh to myself. Pretty sure CLE has you beat there...yesterday I watched a clip of a Browns player running into the wall. We just really are not good at (most) sports!! Lets go Cavs?

So ... can I just share today's REALLY dumb exciting moment for me? OK, here goes.

If you were a part of the Disneyland thread, you know that I hate to run with armbands, and I really prefer not to do races with a Spi/Fuel/belt of any kind. Which kind of begs the question - what would I do with my phone during runs?

I found this amazing little pink hard plastic case that I could clip on to the waistband of my capris, run skirt, etc., and it was magical. Like, life-changer. I did three Halfs and two 10ks with that baby!

And then ... Tragedy! (Not really). I upgraded to a new phone and needed a new case, which, of course they didn't make yet for my size of phone.

So, I ran with my SpiBelt (with my phone in it) and hated it - mostly because I wasn't used to it.

Well, this story has a happy ending! Because guess what I was able to use for the first time today!!

View attachment 132639

Fwiw, I have been holding off on getting a 6s due to my running hear pocket sizes, and lululemon now has running tights with a slide in pocket on the hip/thigh that works amazing. It does not jiggle or bounce or anything! I am waiting until after disney (where I cracked my 5s) to upgrade.

We are all different, I guess. I have always done well with a bit of heat. I am a big time sweater so I do understand the hydration struggle. I run a lot in higher temps and humidity during the summer so I think that helps. Last year, however, sapped my energy and had me shivering by the end.

I would prefer a nice dry 60-65 with a a bit of a breeze, but we don't always get what we want.

I still think the current scheduled conditions will be fine as long as people listen to their bodies.

I am more of a heat person too. I am always cold. At 60 I am often in long sleeves.

It rained yesterday while I was at Universal - and it was like little drops of heaven falling from the sky to kill the humidity. If that happens at, say, 7 p.m. on Saturday for a good 20 minutes, I wouldn't be angry.

I've begun the errand-running and prepping for husband and I, so I can have our bags packed and ready after I get back from the Expo on Friday. Post-race park clothes are already in gallon-sized Ziplocs. Both of us have two hats - one for the race, one for after - as well as two throw-away ponchos for pre- and postrace.

I've been adding Nuun to my daily water intake to help up the electrolytes (and replace the ones I've been losing by being in the parks almost every day).

The only thing I really have left to do is track down my favorite running bug spray. I didn't bring it with me from Texas because I didn't think I'd need it, but I got really devoured by mosquitos at MNSSHP on Sunday night, so it looks like rain or shine, I'll need to slather on some bug spray.

Oh no! WDW is the only place I have not been bitten...

The only thing I really have left to do is track down my favorite running bug spray. I didn't bring it with me from Texas because I didn't think I'd need it, but I got really devoured by mosquitos at MNSSHP on Sunday night, so it looks like rain or shine, I'll need to slather on some bug spray.

Ooh...thanks for the reminder. I had almost forgotten about bug spray, since we're blessedly over mosquitos in NY by now.

I am more concerned about the rain since we are close, but hoping that changes. Come on fickle FL weather!! I am ok with heat and humidity, I am mostly bothered by the sun. It really zaps it out of me for some reason. I am also not much of a water person, I always feel bogged down and it swishes in my stomach. So I drink powerade. My hydration issues stem from electrolytes (I even keep pedialyte on hand at home!) so it works out well when I get the resort mug and refill powerade all day!

Luckily, I have a little running crop top thing that surprisingly matches my running tights, so I am bringing that to wear. Though a snotty college student came up and told me I "have to wear a shirt next time" at my old college rec last time I wore it. I am pretty sure she thought it was a sports bra, though I have no idea why. It is high neck, high back, wide shoulders, and hits at the navel. That would be one crazy bra!

Ugh on my run groups Facebook page so some of us who are more active posted a possible wet and hot warning for those already getting ready to handle and a few jerk FL members decided to tell us how stupid we are for worrying now. I said some of us have to decide what to pack and know if we should bring a hot option or a hot and wet option or both and they said just get over it. Today is not the day to mess with me and I'm ready to tell these people off. They had the nerve to say you could just go to DTD if you don't have the right gear even though they are the same people that will preach nothing new on race day.

UGH.

Fwiw, I have been holding off on getting a 6s due to my running hear pocket sizes, and lululemon now has running tights with a slide in pocket on the hip/thigh that works amazing. It does not jiggle or bounce or anything! I am waiting until after disney (where I cracked my 5s) to upgrade.
I'm waiting to upgrade until after the race, too... I really want to keep my smaller 5s though for running. That's a lot of extra $$ a month though to add it to our plan just for running.

Ugh on my run groups Facebook page so some of us who are more active posted a possible wet and hot warning for those already getting ready to handle and a few jerk FL members decided to tell us how stupid we are for worrying now. I said some of us have to decide what to pack and know if we should bring a hot option or a hot and wet option or both and they said just get over it. Today is not the day to mess with me and I'm ready to tell these people off. They had the nerve to say you could just go to DTD if you don't have the right gear even though they are the same people that will preach nothing new on race day.

UGH.

Deep breaths. Obviously nothing can be done training wise. Pack yourself a couple of options. The good news is you are pretty sure not to have to pack for cold too. Be flexible with your gear. And get ready for fun.

Stress levels are getting higher and after the poor weather last year I think we are seeing frustration setting in over the possibility of another wet race and some over just how hot is has been in FL this summer. Not your fault and nothing to do with you.

You are going to the most magical place on earth...you will have fun, rain or shine, heat or humidity be darned. ☔

Deep breaths. Obviously nothing can be done training wise. Pack yourself a couple of options. The good news is you are pretty sure not to have to pack for cold too. Be flexible with your gear. And get ready for fun.

I already planned to pack two sets of socks etc it was just more the tone of their posts. They are the people that need to always be right and tell people how wrong they are. Just bothering me that our once happy go lucky running group has become a bunch of gripes who do nothing but tell other runners how terrible they are and how awful runDisney is.

I posted a few weeks ago about shoe suggestions since I thought Mizuno wasn't working for me any more (turned out it was my socks not the shoes) and some people went on and on about how shoes were so personal that you couldn't possibly give a suggestion. I said I wasn't just going to blindly go buy something because someone else said to get it but dwindling the hundreds of options down to 4 or 5 was what I was trying to do. In past similar questions would get this is what I run in and love or this is what I have tried and they broke down super fast, etc. Also I posted about ankle supports since my doctor basically said sorry nothing can be done to "fix" your ankle so just tape it or use a support. The answers I got were go ask your doctor. It was frustrating. A few older members are still nice and responded with what supports they use or ones to go try.

I think the training is getting to people. I see a lot of people popping up with injuries, illness and various other issues so maybe its stress.

Personally I am way undertrained, but I have decided to just go and have fun. I think I can walk with some running intervals to make it to the end. But I accept that its my own fault I wont do better so I am ok with it.

I bet things will turn more positive after the race.

I think the training is getting to people. I see a lot of people popping up with injuries, illness and various other issues so maybe its stress.

Personally I am way undertrained, but I have decided to just go and have fun. I think I can walk with some running intervals to make it to the end. But I accept that its my own fault I wont do better so I am ok with it.

I bet things will turn more positive after the race.

I'm way under-trained too. What corral are you in? I plan on doing my intervals the best I can the first 6 miles then after that it will be a lot of power walking. I'm under trained because I just couldn't get motivated to do my runs. Living in the city and my old running path isn't close anymore and then what I tried near my house wasn't safe. Started going to Central Park but it was schlep. I have to be honest I have no clue how people train in NYC for a marathon because the half was hard enough.

It's that crunch time stress for sure.

Just have faith that you've done what you can for this race and enjoy. I know most of us that have to travel are leaving in the next day or two. Just enjoy the process and the disney magic! You get to run wine and dine in a few days and that's amazing!

UGH.

Some people are just poo-poo heads and feel the need to rain on everyone's parade. I've decided to go from a carry on trip to a suitcase and a carry on. I'm going to be prepared AND I'm gonna have fun. I'm also going to take it easy and have fun, regardless of the weather (partially for my own enjoyment, partially at the bequest of my doctors).

DD25 fell down her stairs yesterday and has now elected to stay back and do my intervals with me. In fact, we may walk more than I usually do. She is ok, just having ankle and neck pain. Don't text and do stairs! :/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter