Wine and Dine 2015

Don't post your bib numbers...this will go a long way. Date of birth & last name is enough to get all your race information. At some point you need to stop worrying... or unplug. Dang, there's probably malware on my nest, on my netflix, on my security cams that would allow someone to turn on my laptop cam without permission. There's a good chance we all will be out of town Nov 7. Sorry we're in the middle of binging Person of Interest.

Don't post your bib numbers...this will go a long way. Date of birth & last name is enough to get all your race information. At some point you need to stop worrying... or unplug. Dang, there's probably malware on my nest, on my netflix, on my security cams that would allow someone to turn on my laptop cam without permission. There's a good chance we all will be out of town Nov 7. Sorry we're in the middle of binging Person of Interest.
Echoing this recommendation for everyone - don't post a picture of your bib on social media before the race. People who find them can make a copy and print it out to bandit the race. :(

Must be a coastal thing.
It is - I live sandwiched between the waters of Tampa Bay and the Gulf, both of which are still very warm: they make sort of a big bubble of warm humidity until they finally cool off. Which is why I always feel like Central FL is so much more comfortable in the mornings and evenings this time of year, despite being only 90 miles away!

So those of you who are doing W&D and Princess Half, are you just jumping into the Princess training the week after W&D? I signed up for a local Half on Dec. 12th so I'm debating how to set up / keep up my training so I am ready for that. I don't know if I want to only have an 8 mile run as my furthest distance in the 4 weeks in between W&D and my local Half, but know that I do need to recover. I am using the Princess training program for Experienced Runners (finish in the upright position). Any thoughts?
I'm not doing PHM, but last race season I did 5 halfs in 5 months, starting with W&D, and had 4 weeks between each race. I did a 4 week cycle between each:
Week 1 (immediately following half #1): short, easy recovery runs with a "long" run of 4-5 miles
Week 2: back to my usual mid-week running with a long run of 10 miles
Week 3: same + cut back long run of 4-5 miles
Week 4: taper - shorter distance mid-week runs, followed by 13.1 race

The key to not getting run down was that only ONE of those races was run hard for time.

So those of you who are doing W&D and Princess Half, are you just jumping into the Princess training the week after W&D? I signed up for a local Half on Dec. 12th so I'm debating how to set up / keep up my training so I am ready for that. I don't know if I want to only have an 8 mile run as my furthest distance in the 4 weeks in between W&D and my local Half, but know that I do need to recover. I am using the Princess training program for Experienced Runners (finish in the upright position). Any thoughts?

Vary similar to PrincessV's recomendation.
Use the reverse taper at the end of that program. Then counting back from the next race, long runs something like 11, 6, 13(race). Is there enough time in there? After Princess, if you want to get faster, I suggest concentrating some of your annual training to 5k - 10k specific training. Fast marathoners come from fast 800 meter runners. You can get to the same place with a ton of volume but it's more efficient to work in the Lactate-Threshold-distance range.

I'm not doing PHM, but last race season I did 5 halfs in 5 months, starting with W&D, and had 4 weeks between each race. I did a 4 week cycle between each:
Week 1 (immediately following half #1): short, easy recovery runs with a "long" run of 4-5 miles
Week 2: back to my usual mid-week running with a long run of 10 miles
Week 3: same + cut back long run of 4-5 miles
Week 4: taper - shorter distance mid-week runs, followed by 13.1 race

The key to not getting run down was that only ONE of those races was run hard for time.

Thanks! I lied, it's 5 weeks in between now that I looked closer but I'm thinking something like:

Week 1: 2 miles, 2 miles, long run of 4-5
Week 2: 2 miles, 2 miles, long run of 10.0
Week 3: 2 miles, 2 miles, long run of 4-5
Week 4: 2 miles, 2 miles, long run of 8.0
Week 5: 2 miles, 2 miles, 13.1 Race
(the 2 mile runs are my current 30 minute run time on my treadmill. Could change to longer if my speed gets better.)

Then jump into Princess training on Week 9, which has a 4 mile long run. :)

Use the reverse taper at the end of that program. Then counting back from the next race, long runs something like 11, 6, 13(race). Is there enough time in there? After Princess, if you want to get faster, I suggest concentrating some of your annual training to 5k - 10k specific training. Fast marathoners come from fast 800 meter runners. You can get to the same place with a ton of volume but it's more efficient to work in the Lactate-Threshold-distance range.

Yes, I will definitely be doing some 5 and 10K's. I wouldn't have done this Half in December but it is for a local Women and Children's abuse shelter and I wanted to participate. I may do some Christmas 5k's in December too, in place of some of the shorter runs. I do hope to get faster, lol. :)

I am not doing PHM this year, but I am doing the half during marathon weekend. I plan on nearly exactly what @PrincessV posted, except with 7 weeks. I will take one week off since I will be at disney still. Then I will do something like:

1- off
2 - 5k
3- 10k
4- 10 miles
5- 4-5 miles
6- 10k
7- short runs

I live in Ohio so the weather will not be cooperating, that I am sure of. So, it is either run hundreds of laps on my law school rec center indoor track, or brave the wilds. That, combined with a month and a half between my races, has me leaning towards more of the speed work method. I do one speed run a week usually already, so I know what I am getting into. I do want to get at least one distance run in to make sure my body doesn't forget why we are here!

How does the tracking work? I don't actually want people to be able to track me because of a personal situation I'm going through. I'm sure run disney won't make an exception for me. But is that link active forever to look it up via name or just during the race?

I am not sure exactly how Disney does their tracking but every race I've done anyone can sign up to track anyone. For my last marathon anyone who knew my name could look up my bib online and then text the bib number to a 5 digit SMS number to turn on tracking. Other times they enter the bib number and phone number online and they are signed up.

The tracking link will probably be taken down after the race and even if it isn't I would hope whomever is running the SMS server would deactivate the tracking on the back end. The link to your results, however, will be active permanently after the race and probably aggregated to sites like Athlinks.

Endurance sports are probably the worst sports to do for anyone who doesn't want to come up in a Google search. I've joked with friends about being found pretty easily if I ever end up in Witness Protection because someone would be able to figure out who I was based on race results.

Thanks guys. I wasn't worried about stalking or anything like that. I've done races. I just have a bully that has nothing better to do than check up on what I'm doing which is a pain in the you know what. I just wanted to avoid that. Looks like I can't. Oh well I won't let it ruin my race!!

Week 1: 2 miles, 2 miles, long run of 4-5
Week 2: 2 miles, 2 miles, long run of 10.0 7-9
Week 3: 2 miles, 2 miles, long run of 4-5 11
Week 4: 2 miles, 2 miles, long run of 8.0 5-6 do about half mileage a week before the race
Week 5: 2 miles, 2 miles, 13.1 Race
(the 2 mile runs are my current 30 minute run time on my treadmill. Could change to longer if my speed gets better.)
I didn't do a good job of explaining my intent. (suggestions above in red) I really liked the alternating long weekend - short weekend this time around.

Along the same lines, if I could also pick the expert brains here...I'm doing the SW Rebel Challenge at DL in January and the Princess GSC in February. I'll have 3 weeks to train in between trips. Any suggestions? :scratchin

Thanks guys. I wasn't worried about stalking or anything like that. I've done races. I just have a bully that has nothing better to do than check up on what I'm doing which is a pain in the you know what. I just wanted to avoid that. Looks like I can't. Oh well I won't let it ruin my race!!

Sorry you are dealing with that. Running a half marathon is something to be proud of so take some solace in the knowledge that your bully will know you accomplished that if they check up on you.

Along the same lines, if I could also pick the expert brains here...I'm doing the SW Rebel Challenge at DL in January and the Princess GSC in February. I'll have 3 weeks to train in between trips. Any suggestions? :scratchin

What kind of miles do you normally do? You could look at a full training plan and use that as a guide. I like Hal Higdon's intermediate 2 plan. It has a half marathon at the end of week 9. If you use that as the second race (Princess) and train like you are running a full you'll be doing a half marathon every week by that point so the gap shouldn't be a problem. You can adjust down some of the long runs since you aren't actually building to 26.2 but it will get the miles into your legs.

What kind of miles do you normally do?

I'm a noob. This will be the first time I'm expecting to run the whole distance. I've only trained up to 9 miles so far on my long run. After I get back from W&D I'm starting an intermediate plan that will finish before SW in January. So I'm trying to fill in those 3 weeks between SW and Princess.

We are in the same boat. I'm way undertrained for W/D but am trying to get ready for rebel challenge and glass slipper. More or less following the rebel challenge training plan and then have to figure out the in between time.

I'm a noob. This will be the first time I'm expecting to run the whole distance. I've only trained up to 9 miles so far on my long run. After I get back from W&D I'm starting an intermediate plan that will finish before SW in January. So I'm trying to fill in those 3 weeks between SW and Princess.

I only ran to 9 miles in training for my first half. I bonked a little at mile 8 when the temps went up and the sun was beaming me in the face. But I think that was more because I went out to fast at first due to the excitement. Just thought I'd share since we had similar training! GL!

I count 5 weeks??? Advice is from one runner to another, risk is your own. This is what I would do faced with similar back to back races.
One of those half marathons should be done at 1:30 to 2:30 minutes slower per mile than your predicted best time. You do 19.3 that SW Rebel weekend. I don't like to do a "long run" longer than the days I have to recover. So if I have 13 days to recover from a long run I won't do more than 13 miles on that long run in training.

Jan 16-17/19.3 mi. two-a-day 6.2 + 13.1 (easy)
Jan 23-24/4-5 mi.
Jan 30-31/7-8 mi.
Feb 6-7/13-14 mi.
Feb 13-14/ 5-6 mi.
Feb 20-21/13.1 (race)

I poked the bear in the eye a little tonight. I ran four miles at what I think my half marathon pace should feel like. It was 75 degrees at the start and 73 at the finish with humidity around 70 percent. I think I'll have to run 15 to 30 seconds slower per mile than my goal pace, if this is what we see at race time. :charac2:

I only ran to 9 miles in training for my first half. I bonked a little at mile 8 when the temps went up and the sun was beaming me in the face. But I think that was more because I went out to fast at first due to the excitement. Just thought I'd share since we had similar training! GL!

Thank you so much! I will definitely try to rein in the excitement at the beginning. :)

I count 5 weeks??? Advice is from one runner to another, risk is your own. This is what I would do faced with similar back to back races.
One of those half marathons should be done at 1:30 to 2:30 minutes slower per mile than your predicted best time. You do 19.3 that SW Rebel weekend. I don't like to do a "long run" longer than the days I have to recover. So if I have 13 days to recover from a long run I won't do more than 13 miles on that long run in training.

Jan 16-17/19.3 mi. two-a-day 6.2 + 13.1 (easy)
Jan 23-24/4-5 mi.
Jan 30-31/7-8 mi.
Feb 6-7/13-14 mi.
Feb 13-14/ 5-6 mi.
Feb 20-21/13.1 (race)

I figured I wouldn't be running 1/23-1/24 since I'll be recovering from my trip (returning that Friday). So I'm looking at 3 weekends and a couple of half weeks to bookend them. Being realistic here that I'm pretty terrible about keeping up with my runs while I'm at Disney other than the race itself. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter