Wine and Dine 2015

A couple of questions for the veterans... This is my first race at Disney World, how much time should I set aside for the Expo?

Were staying at AKL, so I'm assuming that we will have to catch a taxi back to the resort after the race?

Thank you everyone, I can't believe were just about 6 weeks out!

A couple of questions for the veterans... This is my first race at Disney World, how much time should I set aside for the Expo?

All depends on how much shopping you want to do. I always take a stroll through the various vendors hoping to find good deals on things I can stock up on like running shoes and other gear. Between that and packet pickup, I'm usually in and out in an hour.

If anyone is looking for deferrals, I just got the word in another group that deferrals are not going to be posted until 12pm ET tomorrow (September 24th). Apparently they had some issues due to the Star Wars registration.

Don't be intimidated. :) Just try stuff out... there's not too many more long runs to practice! Personally, if I'm going to be running > 1:10-1:20, I will take a gel every 40-45 minutes, but it really is a trial and error thing to find out what actually works for you. I had no clue what I was doing for Tinker Bell, and I just bought a bunch of different stuff at the local running store to try out. I settled on Huma gels mainly, although sometimes I get Honey Stingers, too, and I've wanted to try out Untapped (maple syrup) but I haven't ordered any yet.

Absolutely, you won't know what works for you until you try some things! Generally, the suggestion is to take in about 100 cals every 45 mins to an hour. Some need more fuel more often, others less - but it's a good starting point to see what works for you.

Thanks! I know there are not a lot of runs to experiment, but I DO NOT want a repeat of my 9.5 mile run. I've never felt I needed fuel for a 10K. When I did 8 miles I felt ok, just a little hungry towards the end and I definitely lost some steam. So I think I will drag the kids into the running store after I pick my youngest up tomorrow and see what I can find since it's right by my son's school. Time to experiment!

One of the things I learned with my experimenting is that I need to start sooner if I'm going to be doing it or I'll be behind, which is why I start around 40-45 minutes. I don't need fuel for a run that length, or even really up to 10K (~1:15 for me, although I will take it during a race for a boost), but much longer than that and I do, and it's not enough to start fueling at that point.

Howdy. More of a lurker, but this will be my 3rd wine and dine or splash and dash, whichever it shall be named this year. ;) I am a APH and went to go purchase the discounted ticket for my husband but unfortunately I think I deleted my email that had the password to get into the website. I promise I am legit and if someone has it and could pm it to me I would really really appreciate it!!! Thank you!
Call RunDisney and they will be glad to sell you the ticket. You can then link it to MDE with the confirmation number.

:sad2::sad1::sad1::sad1::worried::worried:
One of the things I learned with my experimenting is that I need to start sooner if I'm going to be doing it or I'll be behind, which is why I start around 40-45 minutes. I don't need fuel for a run that length, or even really up to 10K (~1:15 for me, although I will take it during a race for a boost), but much longer than that and I do, and it's not enough to start fueling at that point.

I second this! I don't use fuel for runs less than an hour and not for a 10k race either (for me that takes around 1:08-1:10). BUT when I'm doing a long run I will start the process around 45 min. For me that works out to be a salt tablet at around 3.5 miles, then A shot block at 5 miles, salt at 7, fuel at 9, then salt or salt+fuel of some sort (sometimes I do pretzels instead) around 11. I always carry extra for a half just in case. I end up modifying this depending on the water stops on the course. But that's what I did approximately at Tink and Princess and lots of 2+ hour training runs and I finally made it through those halfs without feeling like I was going to pass out or puke. It really is trial and error. I hope it works again for me at wine and dine but if it doesn't, at least I'll know for certain that it's me and night races that have the issue. I've just found that for me personally, it's even more about replacing electrolytes because I sweat SO much and can't replace just through their Gatorade. I can't over hydrate with water or watered down Gatorade and I cannot rush to make up time from picture stops. I tried so hard to make up for a long stop at the pirate ship in AK during wine and dine 2013 and I ended up feeling great in my legs but my system just shut down and I was overheated and I felt sick and nauseated and woozy for the next 6 miles. To the point I actually gave up and started to get in the van at mile 11. Sorry for tmi but I ended up puking, feeling a million times better, made it to the end of the race and then spent 40 minutes in the med tent shivering uncontrollably until my DH found me and I ate the tortilla chips he had. I instantly felt better- so I know it was definitely a sodium/fueling issue as well as trying to push myself too hard after that picture stop. Even the med guys by the van told me I was over hydrated guessing from the amount of water I threw up. I had been drinking more than usual because I had a side cramp in the beginning and bc I was feeling so crappy I was slower to go through the water stops and thus ended up drinking more than usual.

I'm REALLY hoping for redemption this year! I will make it to the after party!!!

I bought the 3-day PH for the W&D and then we are also going in January. Should I use the ticket first for the W&D to get the maximum value or just exchange it for an AP before I use it? I think I have read somewhere on here that if you use it to get into a park the first day it will save you some money because it will become WDW ticket prices instead of the discounted event ticket. Does anyone know?

Thank you! That is great advice! A 10K for me is around 1:25 and I was thinking at around an hour I might need to start, but maybe I should go with around 45 minutes as well. I guess I will play with it on these last couple long runs and hopefully find the magic formula for me!

:sad2::sad1::sad1::sad1::worried::worried:

I second this! I don't use fuel for runs less than an hour and not for a 10k race either (for me that takes around 1:08-1:10). BUT when I'm doing a long run I will start the process around 45 min. For me that works out to be a salt tablet at around 3.5 miles, then A shot block at 5 miles, salt at 7, fuel at 9, then salt or salt+fuel of some sort (sometimes I do pretzels instead) around 11. I always carry extra for a half just in case. I end up modifying this depending on the water stops on the course. But that's what I did approximately at Tink and Princess and lots of 2+ hour training runs and I finally made it through those halfs without feeling like I was going to pass out or puke. It really is trial and error. I hope it works again for me at wine and dine but if it doesn't, at least I'll know for certain that it's me and night races that have the issue. I've just found that for me personally, it's even more about replacing electrolytes because I sweat SO much and can't replace just through their Gatorade. I can't over hydrate with water or watered down Gatorade and I cannot rush to make up time from picture stops. I tried so hard to make up for a long stop at the pirate ship in AK during wine and dine 2013 and I ended up feeling great in my legs but my system just shut down and I was overheated and I felt sick and nauseated and woozy for the next 6 miles. To the point I actually gave up and started to get in the van at mile 11. Sorry for tmi but I ended up puking, feeling a million times better, made it to the end of the race and then spent 40 minutes in the med tent shivering uncontrollably until my DH found me and I ate the tortilla chips he had. I instantly felt better- so I know it was definitely a sodium/fueling issue as well as trying to push myself too hard after that picture stop. Even the med guys by the van told me I was over hydrated guessing from the amount of water I threw up. I had been drinking more than usual because I had a side cramp in the beginning and bc I was feeling so crappy I was slower to go through the water stops and thus ended up drinking more than usual.

I'm REALLY hoping for redemption this year! I will make it to the after party!!!

Thank you for sharing! I know all our bodies are different, but I also believe we can all learn from each other's experiences! I never even though about being over hydrated. I feel like I need a lot of water during these long runs so I'm hoping to find the right balance! Sounds like you have a great game plan! I'm sure you'll experience success this year and be able to enjoy the after party!

For those who need to fuel for any long run, remember that if you wait too long for the first fuel intake you risk losing its benefits altogether. Your digestive system is very inefficient when under physical stress, and running presents a lot of physical stress, so you have to get this process started long before you actually need the fuel in your blood stream. Also, you need to keep your digestive system active throughout the run and a long delay between the onset of activity and your first food/gel snack could result in that snack sitting undigested until your activity drops off enough to completely restore normal blood supply to your digestive system. A long gap between snacks during the run can also produce this result. In these cases, the food consumed won't help you at all.

So, if you have to fuel, fuel early and often. Start 30-45 minutes after the run begins and repeat at least every 40 minutes until the run is complete. As always, practice this before race day so you know what strategy and fuel sources work best for you.

Thank you for sharing! I know all our bodies are different, but I also believe we can all learn from each other's experiences! I never even though about being over hydrated. I feel like I need a lot of water during these long runs so I'm hoping to find the right balance! Sounds like you have a great game plan! I'm sure you'll experience success this year and be able to enjoy the after party!

Water poisoning, dilutional hyponatremia, can be fatal. You may want to weigh yourself before and after your runs in which you are practicing hydration strategies. If you are gaining weight you are drinking too much.

The following article has a good procedure for establishing hydration strategy:
http://aimsworldrunning.org/guidelines_fluid_replacement.htm

I just stick to powdered Gatorade mixed to package instructions and drink roughly 16-20 oz. per hour.

One of the things I learned with my experimenting is that I need to start sooner if I'm going to be doing it or I'll be behind, which is why I start around 40-45 minutes.
I second this! I don't use fuel for runs less than an hour and not for a 10k race either (for me that takes around 1:08-1:10). BUT when I'm doing a long run I will start the process around 45 min.
For those who need to fuel for any long run, remember that if you wait too long for the first fuel intake you risk losing its benefits altogether.
::yes:: +1 for starting early for a long distance. I have chronic hypoglycemia (low blood-sugar) so keeping my glucose levels optimal is critical not only to my running enjoyment but also to avoid a trip to the ER in insulin shock. I can run an hour without fuel if that's all I'm doing, but anything more than that I start fueling at 45 mins and every 45 thereafter until I'm done. And lovingeire running fuel does't have to be gels or chews, etc. - I've used pretzels, fig newtons, animal crackers, Goldfish crackers... anything that's carby and tastes good to you will do! I'm getting into higher mileage these days and had a great experience with this my last 14 miler: gel at 45 mins, 1/2 an Uncrustable at 1:30, Honey Stinger waffle at 2:15, other 1/2 of the Uncrustable at 3:00.

Yes, you will!!! :cheer2:

Well, we survived another trip to WDW! I DID NOT get in even a short run while we were there, lol. But we walked MILES! One day DD25's app said we walked over 25 miles! I am not doing the maintenance runs this week to let my poor legs recover. Then I will do my long run on Saturday.

RE: Fueling - I have to eat half a Honey Stinger waffle before I start, then another 1/2 each 45 minutes (or 3 miles) after. I ordered a box of the Carmel Honey Stinger Waffles from Amazon, as I can't get that flavor around here. That flavor is amazing, lol! :)

I ordered my first SparkleSkirt yesterday... hoping to wear it for the race. I guess I should try it out on a run before race day though! I'm not even sure that I will like wearing it... I always run in capri pants, I feel like I might feel naked in a skirt. :D But I've had my eye on them for a while now... they are super cute. And I could use more pockets to carry things in. I have a SPIbelt, but it gets pretty packed on the longer runs.

So very true. And so easy to confuse!

Yes. I can see it. You will make it!!

I bought the 3-day PH for the W&D and then we are also going in January. Should I use the ticket first for the W&D to get the maximum value or just exchange it for an AP before I use it? I think I have read somewhere on here that if you use it to get into a park the first day it will save you some money because it will become WDW ticket prices instead of the discounted event ticket. Does anyone know?

I thought, THOUGHT, that you could not upgrade the RD discounted tickets. I do think I heard otherwise on another thread here that I can't remember, recently. So if anyone else has experienced this I would also be interested! (as for the price bridging, using a ticket bought elsewhere like undercover tourist and then upgrading after entering a park does save money since it makes the ticket value that of gate price).

I wanted to offer this to the runners first:

Tutto Italia
Date: Saturday, November 7, 2015
Time: 1:30 PM
Guests: 2 Adults

I also will have a Via Napoli available. I promise I wasn't trying to hoard, I just eat at Tutto Italia before every race so I wanted to try something different but was nervous how it would affect my stomach so I have been going back and forth. I have finally decided to just go for it and do Via Napoli. So now I just have to decide if I want the 3 or 4:30 pm ADR. I wlil be testing this out on a long run this weekend and know for sure then! So if you want any of these let me know :)

So very true. And so easy to confuse!

Yes. I can see it. You will make it!!

I thought, THOUGHT, that you could not upgrade the RD discounted tickets. I do think I heard otherwise on another thread here that I can't remember, recently. So if anyone else has experienced this I would also be interested! (as for the price bridging, using a ticket bought elsewhere like undercover tourist and then upgrading after entering a park does save money since it makes the ticket value that of gate price).

This may be my first post on here- so hi! I actually had the same ticket question and got an awesome cast member when I called Monday to make my final payment so asked. She said that even though I ordered the tickets from the web link, I could call up to 5 days before my trip starts to add days or upgrade- but can't do it after that has passed or once you get there.

For those who need to fuel for any long run, remember that if you wait too long for the first fuel intake you risk losing its benefits altogether. Your digestive system is very inefficient when under physical stress, and running presents a lot of physical stress, so you have to get this process started long before you actually need the fuel in your blood stream. Also, you need to keep your digestive system active throughout the run and a long delay between the onset of activity and your first food/gel snack could result in that snack sitting undigested until your activity drops off enough to completely restore normal blood supply to your digestive system. A long gap between snacks during the run can also produce this result. In these cases, the food consumed won't help you at all.

So, if you have to fuel, fuel early and often. Start 30-45 minutes after the run begins and repeat at least every 40 minutes until the run is complete. As always, practice this before race day so you know what strategy and fuel sources work best for you.

Thank you. Strangely I went to the running store today and she was telling me for a half marathon I would need maybe to fuel twice. I got some Clif Shot Blocks and a Huma Gel to try. I had kind of wanted to try the Jelly Belly sport beans, but they didn't have any at our local running store.

Water poisoning, dilutional hyponatremia, can be fatal. You may want to weigh yourself before and after your runs in which you are practicing hydration strategies. If you are gaining weight you are drinking too much.

The following article has a good procedure for establishing hydration strategy:
http://aimsworldrunning.org/guidelines_fluid_replacement.htm

I just stick to powdered Gatorade mixed to package instructions and drink roughly 16-20 oz. per hour.

I'm going to try to read this article this evening. Thank you! I run with a Nathan Handheld which is 18 oz. I drop a Nuun tablet in it and go. I will normally finish that on my 6-8 mile runs, but I ran out well before I was done with my 9.5 so I don't think I'm overhydrating. I think I need a little bit more actually to finish out. (Now to figure that conundrum out...)

::yes:: +1 for starting early for a long distance. I have chronic hypoglycemia (low blood-sugar) so keeping my glucose levels optimal is critical not only to my running enjoyment but also to avoid a trip to the ER in insulin shock. I can run an hour without fuel if that's all I'm doing, but anything more than that I start fueling at 45 mins and every 45 thereafter until I'm done. And lovingeire running fuel does't have to be gels or chews, etc. - I've used pretzels, fig newtons, animal crackers, Goldfish crackers... anything that's carby and tastes good to you will do! I'm getting into higher mileage these days and had a great experience with this my last 14 miler: gel at 45 mins, 1/2 an Uncrustable at 1:30, Honey Stinger waffle at 2:15, other 1/2 of the Uncrustable at 3:00.

Thank you! I've read about some of those things being used and for some reason didn't think to try them. I normally have animal crackers and goldfish on hand too with two little boys. How on earth can you eat an uncrustable while running? I'm worried I may not be coordinated enough for this whole fueling thing while running! :rotfl:

I ordered my first SparkleSkirt yesterday... hoping to wear it for the race. I guess I should try it out on a run before race day though! I'm not even sure that I will like wearing it... I always run in capri pants, I feel like I might feel naked in a skirt. :D But I've had my eye on them for a while now... they are super cute. And I could use more pockets to carry things in. I have a SPIbelt, but it gets pretty packed on the longer runs.

I thought the same thing about Sparkle Skirts. I was so skeptical about them. I bought my first one and ended up with 3 more within a couple weeks. They are addicting! I never wear my capris to run anymore! Who would have thunk it! :laughing:

I just ordered my SparkleSkirt for my "costume" too!! I always run in Capris but recently bought a nice pair of Nike running shorts at the outlet which I will probably wear under my skirt!

Did a 10 mile run today.. Felt great until about 8.5 when my calves got super tight and I felt like I was moving in slow motion!

As for the fuel... agree with doing it earlier rather than later... I use Advocare Rehydrate Gel and I have been experimenting with the timing... So far I just take 1 with plenty of water at 3 miles and stop for water at miles 6 and 9. We'll see what happens when I get up to 12 miles...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter