• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Windsor Hills

Funwith4kids

Mouseketeer
Hi folks, newb here. great board.

We are looking at possibly staying at Windsor Hills (3 BDRM condo). Are these timeshares, are there some areas in the complex newer or better than others? Certain ones closer to the pool area? Why such a range of prices for owners for same size condo? I don't want to go **cheap** where the place is a dump....

First time staying in a non hotel.....a little nervous about renting a condo from owners....advice?

Thanks!

We're in the process of renting a townhome at WH for next month. It is also a 3 bed, 3 bath, but it is a townhome w/ a private splash pool, which runs a bit more than condos- BUT, everything I saw listed that was cheaper didn't have internet, which is going to be a necessity for us, since my husband is taking college classes online.
Some of the price difference is probably going to reflect what the owner has invested- the homeowner in our case (a fellow DISboard member!) has definately put money into the details that make the home great- top of the line mattresses, flatscreen TVs, etc. I for one definately don't want to end up on a hard, cheap mattress after a day at a theme park! Plus, they have been super attentive throughout the rental process.
I think WH is close to brand new, so I wouldn't think anything would be too 'dumpy' unless it's really been mistreated.
I'm a little worried that I sound like a commercial for the owner of the condo, and I don't want to embarass anyone, but feel free to pm me for their info if you're interested. :)

edit: Well, since everyone else is posting theirs :) we're renting from 5mins2disney.com :)

We stayed there last year and it's really -and I mean really nice. The clubhouse and the pool are awesome and the townhome we rented was really nice too. I'm getting ready to plan our vacation again and we all want to stay at Windsor Hills again. HTH

I think that all of the condos were built at the same time, so there won't be any really newer ones. The whole place is less than two years old and they are still building houses. The condos aren't timeshares. They are priced differently I assume because some people want to get the most they can for their condo, while others are more concerned with having more weeks full even if it is at a lower price. Some condos are a little farther from the pool, but they all look to be in walking distance to me.

We stayed at three-bedroom, three-bathroom townhouse last month and paid about $20 or $30 less per night than a lot of other townhouse owners were charging. The townhouse was in great shape and looked just like the photos on the website.

Check out www.windsorhills.com, they have a map of the resort and explain the difference between the condos, townhomes and houses. I agree with mrsklamc that the prices can reflect the extras an owner may have in their unit. We've stayed in two different condos there this year and one had books, movies and games that the other unit didn't have. Have you done a search here for "windsor hills"?

I did a lot of research on this a few months back when I booked Windsor Hills. I haven't been there yet, so I can't comment on what things are actually like there, but I too saw the price difference between places. Some of it is furnishings...ones with flat screens and big screens in the LR were a bit more. Some are more by location (top floor, end unit, etc.) We ended up going with a townhouse and are so excited for Spring Break to get here.

One last thing, if you're emailing an owner directly (like if you use the windsorhillsrent site) I don't think it hurts to ask why their unit is more. They may not match what someone else's rate is for that time, but they will probably be able to give you their rationale to support the cost.

We loved Windsor Hills!! We were there last March and will be staying at the same townhouse this March. The difference in pricing I think is like a pp said furnishings etc. This is where we stayed and are staying again http://www.vrbo.com/53573 and the bed in the master bedroom is the most comfortable bed ever (including pillows). :cloud9:

mommyintn said:
We loved Windsor Hills!! We were there last March and will be staying at the same townhouse this March. The difference in pricing I think is like a pp said furnishings etc. This is where we stayed and are staying again http://www.vrbo.com/53573 and the bed in the master bedroom is the most comfortable bed ever (including pillows). :cloud9:

I am a Windsor Hills Resort townhome owner and DISboard member, in addition to that, I stayed in this very unit myself 2 years in a row before we bought our own place there just this summer. We just LOVED it there...absolutely one of the nicest resorts we've ever stayed in ...and very reasonable especially compared to the hotels! (And MUCH nicer!) You're right...that's Lee & Laura's place..and the beds are to DIE for! hehe...we modeled our own place after them and went all top of the line on the beds too, along with 500 threadcount linens and more, it's really awesome! (You won't find her place on windsorhillsrent.com though, just vrbo.com...if you check it out please tell her George referred you! =p )

I can also tell you that their MC (Management Company) is awesome! Very important detail some may overlook (and hard for the rentor to know whom is good / bad). I will not name any bad companies, a few owners have been DISd on the DISboards in the past though, search is your friend, that's all I will say on this topic!

The rates do vary..and you are all correct in stating that it really depends on how the place is furnished on the inside. We put in high end everything for instance, including internet, furniture, 50" plasma flat screen, etc. Therefore we charge a slightly higher rate than some, but you do get what you pay for in return!

The resort is all brand new and was built by Pulte homes in 2005. It consists of 2 and 3 bedroom condos, 3BR/3BA townhomes with private pools (they are all the same floorplan / identical in layout / inside), and 4/5/6 bedroom homes with pools. The resort has an INCREDIBLE clubhouse waterslide pool with game room, movie theater, sundry shop, hot tub, and more. It also has a brand new recreation area with tennis, basketball, sand volleyball, and putting / chipping golf area. There is also a dragon / castle themed high end children's playground area, very cool! It's in a secure gated community and is 2 miles (5 minutes!) away from Disney...definitely the closest and nicest resort to the parks! (It's over by Animal Kingdom).

The site mentioned above is actually NOT the Windsor Hills website...it's a private homeowner's website who got a good domain name before anyone else! LOL Kind of disguised to "look" like it has something to do with the resort, when in fact it's someone advertising just their own homes! lol...clever for them, not the place for you to look for rentals necessarily!

The place to go find all of the resort rentals is:
http://www.windsorhillsrent.com

There are no places in the resort I would call a "dump" by a long shot, but there are variations in amenities and furnishings. The best thing you can do is check out the place, the owner, and their website before you rent! Make sure they have tons of pictures and you get a good idea of what the place looks like before you rent! Some people also have Disney or kid-themed rooms, which is great if you have kids, if you have adults not so great! The place above has bunkbeds in the 3rd bedroom for instance, our kids loved it, it would not be great for adults though, for instance. Some places are more in line with what I would call "average" type vacation home rentals, very nice, while others are in the "luxury" or high end category (ours is purposely done in this category for instance!).

The great thing is that their are tons of owners out there all willing to rent directly to folks like you, at a great rate for what you're getting! I'm going down to our place next month, and it's booked on Friday night, so we're staying at the Royal Plaza DTD for 1 night... and I just about CHOKED today when I found out it was $150/night! LOL... now I'm considering renting another home myself in WHR rather than pay the hotel rates..they're all just SO much nicer and less expensive for what you get! (I have 3 rooms booked at that rate for 2 nights...I can get a 5 bedroom house with pool for a few nights for what we'll spend at the hotel for that!!)

The other great thing about the site...you can go and put out a "general inquiry" or a 3 bedroom / 2 bedroom / 4-5-6 bedroom type inquiry. This type of inquiry will "broadcast" to all of the owners of the size place you are interested in. You will then get back dozens of emails / quotes, and information from the various owners, which will help give you many choices to choose from!

There are NO timeshares at Windsor Hills Resort FYI, it's all privately owned and operated, there is also no central reservations or anything like that, it's all done VRBO or through various area management companies. (So...just a hint...MCs charge the owners a hefty percentage fee...so if you want to save $$ go to the website and book directly from the owners...cut out the middleman!).

Enjoy it, we feel that once the "secret" of this new resort gets out it's going to be jam packed booked all the time! It's one of the nicest places we've ever stayed...and the only reason the rates are still reasonable (compared to renting a place like this elsewhere in the US) is that there is a lot of housing still near Disney. (You should see what we're paying for a VRBO condo in Breckenridge for New Years...ouch! And nowwhere near as nice as our place!)

My other advice for you all newb VRBO rentors...talk to the folks you're going to rent from. Get a sense for who it is you're dealing with, so you're comfortable with the whole process. They should have you fill out a rental agreement and give you their terms and conditions, etc all up front. They should have a good website, lots of pictures, references, links to their MC, and more. If you have doubts...call them on the phone..say hi...and mention that you have doubts...and see what they do to help you feel more comfortable! Ask to talk to their MC! If you call the MC and don't hear back for 3 days...you should be concerned! What will happen if you have an issue when you arrive for instance? Problems do occur, things happen, it's what people do about it that counts, and how quickly can they react to situtations? (Just a few tips I thought i'd share with my fellow DISers!)

One thing for sure, I can tell you whichever place you end up choosing in Windsor Hills, the resort and homes are just incredible, it's a VERY nice resort and you will not be disappointed! It's also truly as close to the parks as you can get, I have made it from my front door to AK in well UNDER 5 minutes... from door-door into the Epcot parking lot in 7 minutes! (Yes I timed it...we got all the way to the parks last trip and I forgot the tickets at home! DOH! LOL)

- George

Oh...please do feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions or I can help out at all!

We are currently staying at Windsor Hills. It's beautiful.. Our townhouse is great. The kids adore the pool. We paid to have it heated and it's the best money we ever spent. If you need more info about it just PM me. We are literally 5 minutes from Disney. We own at Saratoga but stayed offsite for several reasons this time. We rented directly from the owners. Storytime Rentals. They have 4 townhouses. Everything you could wish for and insanely reasonable !!!!! It's a best kept secret.

I personally picked this place because of the way it is decorated. I feel like I am ONSITE ! The kids room is all Mickey and Minnie Mouse and so is the bathroom. That is important to us. Especially since we own DVC. We didn't want to feel like we lost any of the "magic". The kids are thrilled. It's spacious and you couldn't want for a single thing. We feel like we are closer than we stay at Saratoga Springs.

Here is the link to the site

STORYTIME ORLANDO RENTALS

We have Storytime 3 booked for our vacation this May 29 - June 5. I've looked for reviews on the boards and haven't been able to find any. So, I'm dying to hear in detail what someone thinks of these townhomes. I hope you will post more after your trip. It sounds like you are impressed so far and that makes me feel like I made a good decision. It's our first time off-site and we don't want to mess it up.

We stayed 5 days at a WH Townhome last June. Simply put we've stayed both onsite & offsite and WH is now our first choice when we return to Disney again. We were on a 2 week vacation in June and the last 7 days we moved to the Cascades section at the Sheraton Vistana and even though Vistana was nice we certainly enjoyed staying at WH more. The amenities there are second to no one and we were maybe 5 minutes away from Animal Kingdom and maybe 10 to Magic Kingdom with Epcot and the Studios somewhere in between. Needless to say we recommend WH very highly but WH is our best kept secret so don't tell anyone. OH NO now the secret is OUT. All kidding aside you won't regret choosing Windsor Hills for your Disney stay.

doubled07
Texas

Does anyone know how much the shuttle is to the Disney Parks? I'm really torn- OKW 2br/2bath or WH 3BR/3bath? Windsor Hills costs 2/3 less than OKW. Help!!

From my website...

How does the Windsor Hills Resort daily shuttle service work/operate/etc?

In the sundry shop in the Windsor Hills clubhouse you can find schedules and make arrangements. Shuttle cost is $10 per person round trip to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, or Animal Kingdom. $14 per person round trip to universal, seaworld, and shopping area. There is an information sheet at the clubhouse with the time schedule. The shuttle company is MAINGATE TRANSPORTATION. They can be called at # 407-390-0000. A taxi cab to Disney is $20 one way.. cab to Universal is $32 one way.... Don't forget it costs $10 per day for parking at Disney and Universal if you drive.

Honestly, we rented a car our last few trips from priceline.com...depending on the season we've paid anywhere from $20-26 per day for a full size / luxury car (in May 05 we paid 26/day for an SUV!). It's cheaper than the shuttle...unless you can't get a car for some reason...or have teens or something that want to be able to go to/from on their own.

Hope this helps!
- George

We have Storytime 3 booked for our vacation this May 29 - June 5. I've looked for reviews on the boards and haven't been able to find any. So, I'm dying to hear in detail what someone thinks of these townhomes. I hope you will post more after your trip. It sounds like you are impressed so far and that makes me feel like I made a good decision. It's our first time off-site and we don't want to mess it up.

Hello there,

We stayed at Storytime 1. Their original townhouse, I believe. We had an awesome time. Once I get home I will post pictures of our townhouse. It had all the amenities of home. We were very comfortable. We had a total of 5 adults and 2 children. They had a highchair, stroller, and bed rail. The kitchen was well stocked. Our pool was great. The kids enjoyed that the best.
They use Villa Direct as their management company and if you ever have a problem they are just a phone call away. This is our second time off site and it was amazing. Our first time was at the Liki Tiki Village. I can NOT recommend that place at all. YUCK !!

Story time and/or Winsor Hills is literally is closer than staying at some of the onsite hotels. We had a back road that we used daily. Sherbeth Road. I will post the directions later if you'd like. Once you learn the way it us SUPER easy to get around.

If you have any questions just ask. I'd be more than happy to answer. We were more than pleased with our vacation. We stayed 10 days and it was incredibly reasonable.

Thank you so much for posting! I've been so nervous about this vacation and whether or not we were wasting our money. We booked it on a whim when airfare dropped to $123 round trip. We couldn't pass it up, but we also can't afford to stay on-site anymore. So, I started looking at Windsor Hills and the Story Time townhomes were the ones I kept coming back to as the most bang for our bucks.

I'll be looking for your pics!

Here are some pictures of Winsor Hills Storytime 1.

47b6cc07b3127cce804bc194879900000016108Aat27lm1cM7

47b6cc07b3127cce804bc33d873100000016108Aat27lm1cM7

47b6cc07b3127cce804bccd8c74b00000016108Aat27lm1cM7

47b6cc07b3127cce804bc046c7d300000016108Aat27lm1cM7

47b6cc07b3127cce804bc4ad460a00000016108Aat27lm1cM7

47b6cc07b3127cce804bd944874500000016108Aat27lm1cM7

47b6cc07b3127cce804bdf7e064c00000016108Aat27lm1cM7

47b6cc07b3127cce804bcbe006d800000016108Aat27lm1cM7

A picture of the resort pool at Windsor Hills. It was heated really well. Which is important for me and DH. We don't like cold pools. :)

ChristmasatDisney2006105.jpg

msim said:
Does anyone know how much the shuttle is to the Disney Parks? I'm really torn- OKW 2br/2bath or WH 3BR/3bath? Windsor Hills costs 2/3 less than OKW. Help!!

I would personally go with the WH. It depends on how important it is to you to be "onsite". I literally felt like I was onsite b/c it was sooo easy getting around. Plus, the theming thru out the house makes you feel like you are staying at a WDW resort. Which is important to me. I want to "feel" like I'm at Disney all the time. Even if we're just relaxing in our room.

Mommaleaps-will you please give us the "back road" directions. We've booked a townhome after we leave OKW. I too am some what nervous. TIA

You make a left out of the Windsor Hills resort onto Old Lake Wilson Road. Go towards 192. At the light you will make a left. Get over to the right lane. At the next LIGHT not the next road, you will make a right. That is SHERBERTH ROAD. Follow that road until you get to the next light. Less than a mile. At that light you will make a right. That road is Osceola Parkway.

Stay on Osceola Parkway. You'll go for a little while and then you will begin seeing signs for the parks. MK, Epcot, MGM and AK. I believe you need to make a left off of Osceola to hit ALL the parks and then you follow the individual signs for the specific park you want.

*TAKE NOTE*

To return to Windsor Hills from ANY of the parks you need to follow signs to the Animal Kingdom initially and then to the Animal Kingdom LODGE. This is imporant. Otherwise you will get lost going back. The key is to always drive towards the AK Lodge BUT at first you won't see signs for it so you need to follow signs for the Animal Kingdom. After the last sign for the Animal Kingdom Lodge which is right before the entrance to Animal Kingdom you will make a left back onto Sherbeth Road. You follow Sherbeth Road until you hit the light at 192 and then you will make a left and then a right onto Old Lake Wilson road. Sometimes it's hard to see at night. After you do it the first time you'll get the hang of it. It's really quite easy.

All the parks were pretty much under 10 minutes to get to. The Magic Kingdom of course is a pain to get to b/c you have to park, get on the tram, get off at the TTC and then take the monorail or ferry over to the MK. Leave yourself plenty of time to get there.

Good Luck and Have Fun ~

Hi momma leaps!
Thanks for the great directions. We are staying at Story Time 2 in March. I have a question about key pick up at Villa Direct. We are new to Orlando and will be arriving around dinner time. Was it easy to find this place? Any hints? I presume there is an after hours service for key pick up. I was going to ask the owner some more questions about this closer to our departure but thought maybe you could help fill in some of the blanks! I am glad you enjoyed your stay there. I am very excited to be there. At first I thought we should stay onsite but with 5 in our family (and the price of the deluxe hotels that can accomodate 5) we will be really glad to have found a spacious and reasonably priced place so close to the parks!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter