Windsor Hills vs. Encantada vs. ???

jnbishop

Mouseketeer
Hello there!

We are in the early stages of planning a return trip to WDW this fall. Last time we stayed "on property" and loved it. However, we've since added two children. I'd like a little more space this go around.

A few weeks ago I posted a quick question about where to even begin looking for rentals. A few people responded - and said Windsor Hills is a great place to stay.

I've begun looking at VRBO listings. We will need a 4 BR as we'll have another couple (without children) traveling with us...

I also happened to find a few really nice listings for Encantada. And the prices there for a 4 BR townhouse w/pool are MUCH, much lower than at Windsor Hills.

Would anyone recommend Encantada? The pictures look really nice - the community pool, playground, etc. It may not be quite as luxurious, but to save $800 or so for a week - I think it still looks nice enough (if that makes sense).

Or are there any other communities I should look at? It is SO overwhelming - there are so many choices. I almost think I need to decide on which neighborhood/community - and then search within that - rather than finding nice ones smattered all over the place.

Many thanks to all of you DISney experts!

Blessings,
nicole

We rented a house for the first time in 2010 and loved it. We have it booked again for June this year. I found it on VRBO #256608. It is in Sunset Lakes, very close to the parks. It is 4 bed/3 bath, game room, pool. If you take the Sherbeth rd shortcut it takes less time than a bus from the value resorts. I think the MK was about 10min to the parking lot and Ak about 5. The owner, Kathy, is very nice to work with and was very fast to get back to me with answers to the questions that I had. One thing that I really liked is that is was decorated very nice but without a lot of knick knacks on the tables to get broken.

Good luck. If you have any questions about his house let me know.

Windsor Hills gets a bit of a price premium because of its location, and it's a "name brand". I've stayed there twice, but in both cases got a price that was competitive with similar homes in other developments because I was looking well in advance.

That said, there are several other developments I'd consider to be almost as convenient---basically, the swath from Emerald Island in the west, to Oakwater in the east, to Mystic Dunes to the south. Encantada is just outside this area, and still worth considering IMO, though I've never stayed there.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/villa-map.php

Here is a link to the most recent thread I could find about Encantada from Sept. 2010:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447078

Encantada appears to get a lot of good reviews on tripadvisor. However, I would continue to look at other places and compare prices. I would think a 4 BR private home with full size pool/spa and free wifi, etc. may offer more space, comfort and amenities than a 4 BR townhome in Encantada.

The following thread has a lot of good information regarding neighborhoods close to Windsor Hills (such as Sunset Lakes previously mentioned). Post #2 has specific information about the different neighborhoods that will be cheaper than Windsor Hills but just as close:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2623627

Good luck with your search!

Hi everyone! Thanks for your insight and advice... I have spent a lot of time looking through VRBO listings, a map to get an idea of what is where, etc. I'm still finding Encantada 4 br townhomes are MUCH less expensive than what I can find elsewhere... (Like $600 less for a week!) Regardless, we'll have much more room/space than we'd ever have in a hotel room - so it will be a step up... If you have any more tips or even suggestions on specific rentals, please let me know... I'm continuing to look and am still waiting to hear back from a few more places. Thanks again!

nicole

Hi Nicole - I too have been looking at Encantada but can't find many people on these boards who have stayed there.

We have stayed at WH 3 times now in a 3br TH and at WP in a villa. The prices do seem very reasonable so I would be interested to hear what you decide :goodvibes

Hi there my family and i stayed in a four bedroom townhome here in 2011. We stayed in Windsor hills twice before that and found the accomadations very comparable in size and quality of furnishings. Like Windsor hills they are individually owned so will be furnished differently according to owners style. We found the prices were much better here, paid $675 last year and will be staying here again this year, with a different owner as that unit was for sale. The cluhouse facilities are very nice and clean, and the difference in the distance between the two is minimal. I will gladly drive the extra 7 mins to Sherbeth Road to save the $600.00 difference we were being quoted at Windsor hills for a four bedroom. The four bedroom townhomes has a 12x24 foot pool and no hot tub if you could live with that, as the clubhouse offers the same amenities as the other and it was not as crowded there.

Hi natiromimom - Thanks for the feedback on Encantada. I really like the unit I found on VRBO - pix make it look very nice and updated, great reviews... But your price sounds fantastic! Can I ask what time of year you traveled and got that great deal? Or, could you lmk what unit you booked or who you worked through? I'm still gathering estimates at this point... I also got a very good price on a 4 br home in Terra Verde - but it looks even farther away... I'm thinking the 4br townhome in encantada is our best bet. I just can't stomach paying that much more for WH... I appreciate your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter