Windsor Hills report

lbry9062

Earning My Ears
My family just returned from Orlando - our first trip to Disney, added on to a business trip. We debated where to stay, and ended up renting a townhouse at Windsor Hills. Our other consideration was the Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and I really wish we had chosen WBC. Windsor Hills was OK - but nothing spectacular. I suspect your experience depends a lot on your individual unit, and the 3BR we rented was disgusting. Sadly, I had done much research and even spoke with a previous renter, who said she found it more than acceptable. It's a lesson that we all have different standards, because I thought the facilities were completely sub-par, particularly the bed linens and towels. Yuck! I was also surprised that it was completely bare of amenities - not even hand soap, kleenex, a trash bag, bottle of cleaner, or an extra roll of toilet paper! (Good thing we didn't run out!) I wasn't expecting the fridge to be stocked, but this seemed a little extreme.

The WH facilities were OK, the pool was certainly nice, the playground looked fabulous. Some townhomes at WH seemed a little rundown - like they need new roofs, some touch up paint and a little extra TLC. There were also very strict rules/directions about trash removal, but absolutely no recycling options (and no mention that recyclables are sorted after the fact.) Huh? Again, my attitude is probably tainted. My advice is to do research, and when in doubt, spend a few more dollars on accommodations that will exceed your expectations!

Separately, thanks to all who contribute to these boards. I found lots of resources through your recommendations - especially the tip to visit easywdw.com. Thanks to that site and a couple of others, we had a spectacular day at Magic Kingdom - we accomplished the majority of our "must-dos" by 11am, didn't wait in any lines for more than 20 minutes, and enjoyed the park till 9pm, with no meltdowns from our 5 year old and 3 year old kids! We were elated!

Yes, I'd love to know who you rented from as well? And did you book it through vrbo.com or through an agency?

I rented directly from the owner, via the main WH owners site, which is whrent.com (not vrbo.com - he either doesn't have or I can't find a vrbo presence). His website has plenty of photos - which I thought were acceptable at the time I made my booking. I am hesitant to post the name here, but would be happy to share privately.

We found wh to be super boring...although nice unit, owner was good to book, unit was good, but agree the place is underwhelming. No plans to ever go back unless needing a lot of space.

akadada said:
We found wh to be super boring...although nice unit, owner was good to book, unit was good, but agree the place is underwhelming. No plans to ever go back unless needing a lot of space.

How does that differ from bonnet creek? (We're planning on staying offsite so im curious)....I assume by boring you mean nothing to do at night? But that's what staying offsite is about I would think? What were you expecting?

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards

How does that differ from bonnet creek? (We're planning on staying offsite so im curious)....I assume by boring you mean nothing to do at night? But that's what staying offsite is about I would think? What were you expecting?

Never been to bonnet.

I was not referring to evening activities.

It's monotonous, somewhat run down, looks like an apartment complex. No resort feeling whatsoever, employees were super uninterested in helping...there's a half dozen offsite resorts that are so much more interesting for similar pricing...floridays, vistana village, marriot harbour, for example.

akadada said:
Never been to bonnet.

It's monotonous, somewhat run down, looks like an apartment complex. No resort feeling whatsoever, employees were super uninterested in helping...there's a half dozen offsite resorts that are so much more interesting for similar pricing...floridays, vistana village, marriot harbour, for example.

Great feedback thanks!

Never been to bonnet.

It doesn't have a resort feel because it isn't a resort (at least I don't consider it one). It is a subdivision with rental units.

Sarah

The ones you've listed are all condo style.... any home rentals with the same feel??

The ones you've listed are all condo style.... any home rentals with the same feel??

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that...we stayed in a townhome at WH so the condo style v townhome is relatively the same.

I have stayed in a 4 BR home in Windsor Hills and it was awesome. Very clean. And having the pool was great for the kids. It was a good mid-day break to go back and jump in the pool and it was also great late at night to jump in for a few minutes or use the hot tub. We used the community pool once and they liked that as well. So if staying in Windsor Hills I would get a home. And the owner and how well they take care of their property make all the difference.

If getting a Condo, I would go with Bonnet Creek. We stayed in a 2 BR Condo there and the resort is very nice, the condo was also very nice and clean. WBC is so close to everything, you are IN Disney staying there. It was a 2 minute drive to the Boardwalk Inn-one of the funnest nights we had was going to dinner on the boardwalk and then just walking around watching the entertainers. It was a blast.

Both places are very good for the price. Different experiences, but both experiences were very good and I will probably stay at both again in the future.

The major trade off is having your own pool and a game room in the garage vs being closer to the parks and having 6 community pools to use. And WBC has a more "resorty, vacationy" feel. The House we stayed at in Windsor Hills was a bit nicer than the Condo at WBC. Decisions, decisions!

Windsor Hills isn't a resort, it's a housing development. Maybe you didn't realize that when you booked there?

I think it's an important distinction to make.

We have stayed at windsor hills three times now and are planning on a fourth visit this spring. We couldn't be happier staying there. As stated above, it is a housing / condo development not a resort. I think it really depends on who you rent from and what your expectations are. Some people aren't happy unless they are staying in a 5 star resort and some people are happy as long as the place has running water. It is all perspective.

We have always rented from the same "group" of people and the condos were always spotless and exactly as what was shown in the pictures. The owners are very up front about what is included and what isn't. Consumables such as dish soap, paper towels, etc are usually not included. A trip to the target 5 minutes up the road and less than $20 will get you everything you will need for the week. The non consumable things like forks, plates, mixer, etc are usually included in your rental. Ours even included a stroller which came in handy when our kid was younger and still needed one. It kept us from having to lug ours through the airport. The place we rented from has a manager on site so if we were to ever have a maintence problem or were unhappy about something like unclean linnens we would have just had to call her up and it would have been fixed immediatly. I still haven't found a place that comes close in price for what you get. Bonnett creek is close but it was still a few more hundred dollars per week compared to the 3 bedroom condo we have reserved at windsor hills this spring.

Keith

I haven't stayed at WBC yet but we've researched it as an option and we have stayed at WH a few times, we love it there. We have a townhouse booked for Easter weekend. Our opinion may change since we normally rent houses but we'll see. We don't particularly care for previous stays at Orange Lake and Westgate Lakes. That being said, I do think some people are misled a bit when the housing developments are labeled "resorts." It gives them a certain level of expectation. Whereas WH, Emerald Island, etc are individually owned properties that happen to have community facilities, places like WBC, Orange Lake and all the Westgates are timeshare resorts that have more of the activities and amenities that I think the OP was looking for.

All condos are YMMV, unfortunately. Depends on the owner. Ours a couple years ago actually ended up being NICER than the pictures.:-) As far as WH being boring that's part of the allure IMO. If you want excitement, stay on site. If you want a quiet getaway with more space to stretch out, go with WH.

As each property is individually owned at Windsor Hills and all short term rental resorts, amenities within each one can differ greatly. As for the resort itself, it is very well maintained. The townhouses have recently been repainted and new roofs on all. All the roads have also been repaved.

Sandy

definitely have had similar experience... We have been staying in short term rentals while our home is being built, and they have been dirty. I don't need fancy.. but I need clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter