• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Windsor Hills Questions

Indecisive

Mouseketeer
I am considering staying off-site, possibly in a condo at Windsor Hills, for our Orlando vacation next spring (2017). Can anyone please tell me:

1. I read some old reviews saying that sometimes the check-in line for cars at the security gate can be REALLY long, lined up way down the street. Is that still the case, or is that information outdated? If that still happens . . . how does this work once you are already checked-in? For example, on Day 2 of your vacation, do you still get trapped in this line, or is there a separate security gate/line for guests who are already checked in?

2. If we arrive prior to check-in time, can we still "check-in" at security and use the pool/facilities until our room is ready?

3. Are there any "hidden fees" at Windsor Hills that would be in addition to whatever we pay at a booking website? For example, parking fees, facilities fees, etc.?

4. Has anyone used magicalvacationhomes.com and have any feedback?

5. Is the pool water slide "good"? I know that is kind of a vague question, but I am just wondering if it is actually a fun slide, or if, for example, it has low water pressure and you end up going down it really slowly or something. Related to this, is the main pool nice/enjoyable?

Thank you in advance!

1. We've never encountered much of a line. Once you check in, you get a parking pass, so IIRC, you can drive past the line and just show the guard your pass.
2. Might have to check with the owner on that. We've usually arrived after check-in time.
3. Not that I know of. Everything was free for us.
4. No.
5. It's a nice pool, the slide is nothing to write home about.

1. I read some old reviews saying that sometimes the check-in line for cars at the security gate can be REALLY long, lined up way down the street. Is that still the case, or is that information outdated? If that still happens . . . how does this work once you are already checked-in? For example, on Day 2 of your vacation, do you still get trapped in this line, or is there a separate security gate/line for guests who are already checked in?

We never encountered long lines. Maybe a few cars.

2. If we arrive prior to check-in time, can we still "check-in" at security and use the pool/facilities until our room is ready?

Yes

3. Are there any "hidden fees" at Windsor Hills that would be in addition to whatever we pay at a booking website? For example, parking fees, facilities fees, etc.?

Not that we encountered

4. Has anyone used magicalvacationhomes.com and have any feedback?

No. Went through owners for all trips.

5. Is the pool water slide "good"? I know that is kind of a vague question, but I am just wondering if it is actually a fun slide, or if, for example, it has low water pressure and you end up going down it really slowly or something. Related to this, is the main pool nice/enjoyable?

The pool is average. Nothing fantastic but they do have some afternoon group parties for the kids.

The line at the security gate could be long if you are arriving at 4 pm on a Saturday. Most homes have a check in time at 4 pm, so that's when a lot of guests seem to arrive. You can enter the resort prior to that and get your security pass, so even though you may not be able to enter the home, you can check out the resort, or leave and come back using the right side of the gate. That is where you go in if you have the pass already.

1. We've stayed at Windsor Hills three times (always 1+ week stays) and I only remember seeing really long lines a couple of times. "Seeing." Never did we happen to be in one. I'd wager if you get stuck for five minutes max on one day of your trip (not counting registration day -- that always takes longer) that'll be the worst of it.

2. I doubt that you can given how I think their whole registration process works with security. Best check with the owner..

3. No hidden fees charged by Windsor Hills. Potential hidden fees depending on who you rent from though.

4. I have stayed with MVH. Never. Again. You can read my review here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/an...-homes-or-villa-direct.3393891/#post-53332455

5. My kids always enjoyed using the slide, maybe once or twice every swim session. But I don't know that I'd call it an overly fun slide. The main pool is nice -- certainly nicer than most condo developments in that same area. Zero entry. Heated. Music piped in.

This is all very helpful!!! Thank you to everyone! I really appreciate all your help and tips. :)

Also, depending on the ages of your kids, some of the townhome units come with a splash pool in the back.

Also, depending on the ages of your kids, some of the townhome units come with a splash pool in the back.

And... if you can afford it, rent a Villa! These are (generally) 4-6 bedroom homes with PRIVATE screened pools (small to be sure), game rooms, and more...

We have always rented through VRBO or Homeaway, and been quite satisfied.

Even if you don't use VRBO, it has a nice mapping feature that shows you available homes/condos in the area using google maps... and you can zoom in and see where your unit sits on the property. I love this as it helps me navigate the area after a long plane flight.

Note that there are LOTS of nice developments in the area... and many of them are a bit less expensive than Windsor Hills. Usually another 5-10 mins of drive time to Disney though. I am not trying to talk you out of Windsor Hills, we have had several nice vacations there...

But if there is something special you are looking for, you might find it at another resort/development. For example, our kids like to fish. So the last few times we have stayed at Sunset Lakes (fishing was meh), and then Lake Berkley (farther away, but fishing was GREAT). If you need a lot of golf, there is "Reunion resort", again a bit further away, but with fantastic golf and the resort has its own water park.

Here are two examples at both ends of the spectrum at Reunion...

https://www.vrbo.com/614671

https://www.vrbo.com/1991120ha

Again, the point isn't to talk you out of Windsor Hills, but rather to point out that there are LOTS of options in the area, and some of them might meet your families needs better.

Ed

I took a peek at Reunion this time around as well. Seem to have lots of rentals there. Only caveat I saw was that it seems like water park admission might depend on what unit you have or may require paying extra - so make sure to do your homework there. Looks like a nice resort though, and it's probably only about 5 minutes more of a drive vs. Windsor Hills.

Thank you, edolee! I appreciate your thoughts. I have studied several communities and I think WH best fits our needs. And although the villas look nice, I have my eye on a well-priced top floor unit in a condo near the main pool. I think my kids would prefer proximity to a water slide (even a so-so one) and large pool rather than a private plunge pool. Nice to have so many great options near Disney and the other parks! Thanks again!

And... if you can afford it, rent a Villa! These are (generally) 4-6 bedroom homes with PRIVATE screened pools (small to be sure), game rooms, and more...

We have always rented through VRBO or Homeaway, and been quite satisfied.

Even if you don't use VRBO, it has a nice mapping feature that shows you available homes/condos in the area using google maps... and you can zoom in and see where your unit sits on the property. I love this as it helps me navigate the area after a long plane flight.

Note that there are LOTS of nice developments in the area... and many of them are a bit less expensive than Windsor Hills. Usually another 5-10 mins of drive time to Disney though. I am not trying to talk you out of Windsor Hills, we have had several nice vacations there...

But if there is something special you are looking for, you might find it at another resort/development. For example, our kids like to fish. So the last few times we have stayed at Sunset Lakes (fishing was meh), and then Lake Berkley (farther away, but fishing was GREAT). If you need a lot of golf, there is "Reunion resort", again a bit further away, but with fantastic golf and the resort has its own water park.

Here are two examples at both ends of the spectrum at Reunion...

https://www.vrbo.com/614671

https://www.vrbo.com/1991120ha

Again, the point isn't to talk you out of Windsor Hills, but rather to point out that there are LOTS of options in the area, and some of them might meet your families needs better.

Ed

Edolee did Reunion have park shuttles? I would probably be sold if they did. I can't find any info on their website so I'm guessing they don't.

Edolee did Reunion have park shuttles? I would probably be sold if they did. I can't find any info on their website so I'm guessing they don't.

I don't think so... but I LIKE the driving part, (controlling my own time, flexibility etc.), so I would generally not look.

I will say this... If you want others to provide your transport, I think Disney resorts are going to make you a lot happier than most of the offsite offerings. Most offsite transport is going to be less frequent and and provide less coverage than the Disney offerings. The offsite resorts/hotels just don't have enough volume individually to make the transport economics work well in my opinion. (I will bet there are exceptions... maybe even uber?) Probably depends on how much you want to be in the parks vs. chasing golf balls ;-)

Ed

I own a rental town home at Windsor Hills so hopefully I can answer your questions:

1. They used to have long lines mainly because they had decorative iron entry gates. They had to open/close for each car (unless you swiped your paper quickly and it didn't have to go through the whole motion). Now they just use regular swing arms for entry but still use the iron gates on exit so it can get a few cars deep (there are two exit lanes). You have to swipe your security code on entry and exit (unless you sneak out behind some else but you're not supposed to do that).

2. Property check-in is a separate system from front-door so there should technically be no problem as long as the computer has you in it. You're placed in there as a valid guest from a certain time/date to a certain time/date. So it really depends on when the owner/property manager sets your arrival. The guards see this info and will generally work with you as well (no guaranties here but I've found they're fairly nice to work with). If you think you'll be early you can try to get an early check-in. This is usually only a problem if there's a check-out on the same day or something like a repair had to be scheduled before you arrive.

3. All fees should be covered by the contract. So read it over. Once on property the only additional fees would be things like movie rentals or things you might want to buy in the little on-site store. Things like that. Parking is covered for autos. Wifi should be in all units. Same with cable. All owners pay for these things and I don't know of any that charge special fees for them but you never know so check the contract. There might be a hookup fee for motor homes but I've never dealt with that so I'd have to check.

4. I use Magical Vacation Homes as my property manager and booking agent. I've had good luck with them. I'm not sure what you'd like to know. Admittedly I'm probably biased. They'll block your time. Send you a contract (read it over). Collect the money (fees, taxes and all the good stuff Florida wants me to collect on their behalf). They'll put you in the system so you can check-in and give you a door code so you get in the property. If you have any problems you can call them since they're usually somewhere around Windsor Hills or within 5-10 minutes away (they're physically located near Reunion resort down the road). Yes, they take a cut of the money right off the top for all this. ;)

5. I honestly have no idea how good the pool is. I cannot swim. Never learned how. It looked nice as I walked around it and people seemed to be having a lot of fun in it but that's not really the same I don't think.

They are very picky about height for the slide. My son was half and inch too short and couldn't use it. They won't do a swimming test for those kids close even though the reason they told me was the depth of water that the slide drops you out in.

They are very picky about height for the slide. My son was half and inch too short and couldn't use it. They won't do a swimming test for those kids close even though the reason they told me was the depth of water that the slide drops you out in.

Thank you for the info! My youngest should be comfortably exceeding 48" by our trip, so I assume that is sufficient? But that would have been really frustrating if we had booked at WH and my kids weren't tall enough for the slide! They would have been very upset!

42 inches and 70 lbs and must be able to swim. Pool is only open until 10pm per their rules

70 lbs?! I've never heard of a pool with a weight restriction. Now, that might be an issue for us (if enforced). Even my eight year old is 54" and only 59 lbs. Maybe by next May he will be 70lbs, but my younger one will certainly not be 70lbs, even though he will be comfortably over 48". They are both excellent swimmers. How frustrating! I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. Luckily, we are planning to visit the Disney water parks, so I hope that'll make up for it if my younger one ultimately can't use the slide.

The Windsor Hills Master Community rules state:

THE SLIDE REQUIRES THE SUPERVISION OF A POOL ATTENDANT. POOL ATTENDANTS ARE THERE FOR SAFETY OF USE OF THE AMENITY. • You must be 42” tall and able to swim to use this slide. No exceptions. • Bathing suits are required. No zippers, buckles, or loose clothing is permitted. • No flotation devices including tubes, lifejackets, or water wings are permitted inside of the slide. • Single user, feet first on your back only!!! No chain of people or the holding of small children while sliding. • Due to health risks, use of the pool slide is not recommended for pregnant women or people with heart or back conditions. • Users must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. • Users must wait for the splash area to be cleared before sliding down the flume. • No stopping inside of the slide. • Maximum occupancy: 1 person per flume. • Maximum weight per user is 250 pounds. Recommended minimum weight is 70 pounds​

It doesn't look like the minimum weight is a hard and fast rule like the maximum weight but it might be so the person moves through the flume properly. Their Q&A section only reports on height. I would suggest going to windsorhillsmaster. com (or welcometowindsorhills. com though this has less info) and looking around since it has the community information (I put spaces before the "com" since I don't have many posts and it doesn't like my posting URLs). You can also call or email them with the info on those sites since they control the pool and some other these other things you're concerned about as opposed to us owners who go along with these rules the same as you do (we get in trouble if our guests break the rules since this is really just an HOA).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter