• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Windsor Hills or Value Resort Onsite?????

There's no resort fee. You just have to leave an $8 deposit to get a card that lets you into the pool area. You'll get your $8 back when you return the card.

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that it's a "deposit" and you get your $ back when you turn the card in before leaving the resort. WH doesn't keep track of which card is given to which guest, so if you lose your card, there's no way for them to tell when it's been turned back in. Who ever took our card, got the use from it, and then got our $8 deposit back when they turned the card in. :headache: I told our kids that leaving that card out on their lounge chair was like leaving $8 of money sitting out in the open.

I think you made a good choice staying at WH. You will love it! Other things you may need to buy or bring for your condo include toilet paper (the owner provided one roll in each bathroom, but that was it), paper towels, kitchen trash bags (just throw a few in your suitcase), and dish soap (or dishwasher soap). We got lucky because the people who stayed before us left the rest of their dishwasher soap. We left the rest of our paper towels, and those throw-away salt and pepper shakers (make sure to pack them in your suitcase). If you plan on doing laundry, bring laundry soap. If you can't bring those items with you because you are flying, there are a couple of large grocery stores on the major road outside of the condo (I forget the street -- I-5?), . The people at the front desk will be happy to give you directions to the grocery stores.

Thanks everyone! After much deliberation, we just booked WH. We decided that we would probably regret not having the extra space to spread out in. For those that asked, we are going in October so the free dining deal did not apply for us.

Is the $8 resort fee per person?? I hadn't heard about this yet....obviously I still have research to do.

Thanks!

Depends on how many cards you want. It's $8 per card, but we all shared one card so that's all we needed.

We are flying so we'll have to pick up those items. Thanks for the heads up. Also, do you know if Garden Grocer or any other online delivery service will deliver to WH?

We are flying so we'll have to pick up those items. Thanks for the heads up. Also, do you know if Garden Grocer or any other online delivery service will deliver to WH?

Yes, they do but it's a $40 minimum order and a $12 delivery fee. You'll also need to be in your condo during their 2 hour window to get your delivery. WH won't accept it and hold it for you.

You might be better off going down the main road to the closest grocery store and getting the items yourself. Here's a web page with directions to the nearest grocery stores from Windsor Hills. They are very easy to find.

http://windsorhillsresort.blogspot.com/2007/08/directions_05.html

IDoDis--thank you for the link. Sounds like this is the way to go. I don't mind the delivery fee but really don't want to waste two hours when I could be at disney. Any and all advice, info, etc. you have I really appreciate. This is all so new to me and I'm trying to plan not only for my family but MIL & FIL as well...I know this will be their only trip so trying to keep things as smooth as possible.

Thanks again!

We loved WH, would go back in a flash! And actually, our condo had salt and pepper (Disney!) shakers, coffee filters, Kleenex, and a couple of dishwasher tablets already there as well as a full roll of garbage bags. I don't know if we lucked out (we left dishwashing liquid, almost a full bottle, and a 1/2 bottle of liquid Tide behind).

Once you've decided on a specific home, you could always ask what things they have, like toilet paper or dish soap. Since most homes are individually owned, it could vary (although ones run by the same management company probalby have a "set" list). In any event, there are plenty of places nearby--I imagine a quick trip to Wal-Mart or Publix would be in order, regardless. Even if you don't plan any big meals, there's always breakfast, snacks, and stuff you might have forgotten.

The fee for the cards to get into the pool is discontinued (I went to get a couple of cards for our stay at Christmas). I was told they just open the pool gate now and lock again once it's closed :thumbsup2

The Clubhouse/Pool card will be reinstituted as of May 1st. The cost will be $10 per card/refundable upon return before your departure.

IDoDis--thank you for the link. Sounds like this is the way to go. I don't mind the delivery fee but really don't want to waste two hours when I could be at disney. Any and all advice, info, etc. you have I really appreciate. This is all so new to me and I'm trying to plan not only for my family but MIL & FIL as well...I know this will be their only trip so trying to keep things as smooth as possible.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. :)

Did you find a condo to rent yet? Another thing I liked about our rental was that the owner allowed us to just pick up the keys directly from the lock-box outside of the condo. Some owners will have you go to their rental office to pick-up & drop-off keys. We arrived pretty late, so the owner said it was fine for us to get the keys from the lock box (she gave us a code #).

Before leaving your house, make sure to googlemap your directions to WH from the airport (where yo are picking up your rental car). I printed out maps from WH to WDW (each park), a grocery store, and Universal Studios (unless you are bringing or paying extra for a GPS navigator in the rental car).

Remember that 24 hrs before you leave, the person in the front office at WH will print out your boarding passes for you (if your airline does that sort of thing), so don't forget to do that. I think there was a small charge, but very nominal (like 30 cents each or something like that).

There's also a little store in the WH clubhouse that sells bread, milk, eggs, etc..., so if you arrive late and don't want to fuss going to the store that night, you can buy things from their store in a pinch. The prices were a bit higher, but not outrageous.

I'm probably not the one to give advice between the 2.. because I have never stayed off property. I have stayed at ASMusic twice and had a great time.. IMO, I'd rather be on property with access to buses - it just feels more... magical!

Mrs Doubtfire & sajnus - thank you for the heads up about the $10 card fee. My type A personality likes to be prepared for everything!!

IDoDis....yes, I just booked a TH thru Magic rentals. I can't seem to search the dis boards for info but all the info I did found outside of here seemed positive so I hope it's nice. I figure how bad can it be...Windsor Hills looks awesome! Thanks also for the info about the boarding passes. I was hoping they would do that....will definitely save time at the airport. I really appreciate all you tips.

For those still deciding,

I've stayed on property 25+ times and once at Bonnet Creek, which is a resort basically on property, but not owned by Disney. We looooooved it and will stay there again. You could get a 3-bed for about the same rate as a home, and you'll be next to CBR, and have all the kid activities that they provide. They have a lazy river, 2nd pool with bar, playground and so many daily activities for kids! Here is my review...

Bonnet Creek Review

Mrs Doubtfire & sajnus - thank you for the heads up about the $10 card fee. My type A personality likes to be prepared for everything!!

Your quite welcome! There is a new Publix store, which has about everything, which is very easy to get to. Just make a right out of Windsor Hills on Old Lake Wilson road and go straight. When You come to a red light, cross highway, it is on the right. There is also a brand new Papa Johns there. What I like about it, no major highways, and only one red light. It is less than a 10 minute drive.

Have a great vacation! You'll love Windsor Hills!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter