Windsor Hills - Car rental or not?

calgarymom

Earning My Ears
We found a beautiful 3 bdrm condo for rent at Windsor Hills. Now, we are wondering whether we should rent a car for a week or use shuttles. We only want to visit the parks for 3 days and relax and tour orlando for the other days. Should we rent a car? We will be there January 3-10th, 2009. Is there anyone who's stayed at Windsor Hills tell us whether there is enough shopping to do within walking distance with a 5 year old, or do you think we should venture out of walking distance to shop and sight see? And can anyone tell me what it cost to shuttle to the parks from Windsor Hills and how often the shuttles run?

I would definitely rent a car. There is not a lot to do within a short walk and everything is on 192 which is not a road I would want to do much walking on with a 5 year old. I don't have the details for the shuttle but I remember thinking that it was pretty expensive and not convenient - I'm sure someone will have the details for you.

If I remember correctly, and someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, the shuttle to / from WH is NOT free, and only runs to one park every 30 minutes. Meaning if you want to go to MK and miss the 1st shuttle, it would be 2 hours before another shuttle went to MK. Likewise in reverse. The cost of the shuttle isn't cheap either. I was thinking that the 'break even' point is for a family of 4 - i.e., if you have to pay for 4 people to ride, it would be cheaper to rent a mid-size car during most times of the year.

definatley rent a car, your holiday will be so much more enjoyable if you can just nip here and there rather than having to schedule your times around shuttles and busses!

I think the shuttle is $10 per person - plus you would need to get to/from the airport. You would then be stuck for going out for groceries or just somewhere to eat. Personally we have always rented a car wether we have stayed on site or off.

We have been to WH twice & I would't want to go & not have a car.

Agree with everyone else, you definitely need a car. Here is a FAQ about the shuttles:
How does the Windsor Hills Resort daily shuttle service work/operate/etc?

In the sundry shop in the Windsor Hills Resort clubhouse you can find schedules and make arrangements. Shuttle cost is $10 per person round trip to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, or Animal Kingdom. $14 per person round trip to universal, seaworld, and shopping areas. There is an information sheet at the clubhouse with the time schedule. The shuttle company is MAINGATE TRANSPORTATION. They can be called at # 407-390-0000. A taxi cab to Disney is $20 one way.. cab to Universal is $32 one way.... Don't forget it costs $10 per day for parking at Disney and Universal if you drive.

For more FAQs you can go to this site: http://www.5mins2disney.com/
As far as shopping goes, the only shops you could walk to ( a mile ) would be the touristy t-shirt type shops. Walmart, outlets and malls are 10 - 30 minutes by car.

We just got back and you will a car. It is very close to WDW but not within walking distance to anything. The resort is beautiful, but its back off of 192. In fact there is a huge open field across from the resort. Its about 3/4 of a mile to 192 and further to anything else.

There is nothing in walking distance (and I personally wouldn't walk on foot to shop any where in Orlando or Kissimmee given the massive amounts of traffic). You must have a car, any place you rent offsite. The WH shuttles are costly and will not run exactly when you need them, especially with a 5 year old.

There is no question: get a car. You're still saving a bunch of money overall, and it will be ever so much more convenient.

hey folks

well did you know that regal palms in davenport runs a free shuttle service to the parks however, I would still rent a car period theres no way you can get around with out!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter