• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Windows Vista or XP?

tink2

DIS Veteran
Ok- getting a new computer for Christmas and want to order this week. I've never used vista- old computer has xp. I'm concerned about vista- heard many negative things about it. Heard it is difficult to use and takes up more space on your hard drive than xp. But, it is standard and would cost $100 more to get the computer with xp installed (comes with an upgrade vista cd) Is it worth it to get xp for the extra $100 or do you like vista? Opinions needed...

I have had no problems with Vista-my laptop runs it and I have had no issues.My dh is an IT guy and he has no problem with it anymore-in the beginning there were a few kinks but they seem to be ironed out now.He tells people the bad rep is mainly due to people not knowing how to use it and it being different than xp.I wouldn't pay extra to have an older operating system installed.In the beginning it will be a little different but then you will get used to it.Good luck-I know change is a pain!!

I don't mind vista either, but we chose to stick with xp on our company computers. I wouldn't pay extra for xp at this point. I would suggest you keep an eye out for updates through microsoft - their newest operating system will be included on new units soon.

I have a laptop with Vista and I was really apprehensive about it since I am an XP lover. I have had absolutely no problems with Vista except that it prompts you for everything. But you can turn those prompts off. No sense in downgrading to XP when eventually you will need to bump back up to Vista when XP is out. Vista is much more streamlined and modernized. I really like it a lot.

Here is one of the reasons why I loved it

vista.jpg

i've come to enjoy vista. it was a drastic difference from xp but i really enjoy it. sometimes there's a program that may or may not work right, but that's very rare and i've had no problems with vista in the time i've had it.

Our pc crashed and we got one spur of the moment with vista and it is easy for the most part. I have had a few issues with not knowing what was what, but google makes it easier.

I love the parental controls on vista![evil laugh] :maleficen

I am also a diehard XP lover who just got a new computer with Vista and was super apprehensive at first. Now that I know my way around Vista, I like it a lot. I also just love the widgets on the side of the screen. At a glance I can get the weather, see if I have any e-mails, see scrolling pictures of my daughter and um...something else. I can't remember what my other widget is (laptop is at Sony for a repair so I don't have it here to see - yeah the RAM decided to die after I had the laptop only 2 weeks!). Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't recommend the extra fee for the downgrade. If it were free, that would be a different story, but Vista is as good as XP in my experience, just different to get used to.

I think when Vista first came out there were issues, making XP better to stick with at that time. Some real hard-core computer geeks still won't used Vista, but if you're using your computer like 90+% of us--for internet, email, occasional MSOffice work, then Vista is just fine.

I really like Vista. But, but sure the computer has at least 2 gigs of RAM memory, otherwise it will drag with Vista.

I really like Vista. But, but sure the computer has at least 2 gigs of RAM memory, otherwise it will drag with Vista.

That's exactly what our IT guy told me, so I went with 3G of RAM. I paid $44 extra for the option of having XP installed and Vista on a disc and I'm sure I'll install the Vista eventually but I need to hit the ground running when I get the computer.

My brother-in-law has a ton of Microsoft certifications, worked as a network security expert for 20 years and has sung the praises of Microsoft products all this time....until Vista came out.

He hated it so much he's become a Mac user, and strongly advised me when I upgraded our desktop tower to stick with XP.

My sister (his wife) has two laptops through her job that have Vista, and he is constantly needed to get them running correctly. Every few weeks they freeze up completely, turning into giant silver doorstops.

We'll never make the switch to Vista. My next computer will be a Mac.

Im a huge XP fan, I wiped Vista off my new laptop and went to vista and it really flys

Check the current software you have. Some of it may not run on Vista and you will have to upgrade other software. I have Vista...but I do prefer XP.

I was terrified of getting Vista and thought of getting a mac instead. I finally decided on a new HP laptop with Vista (because most of my everyday programs wouldn't run on a mac). I haven't had any problems at all. It's faster than my old computer and so far all my old programs run fine. I did get a 32 bit instead of 64 bit (with is what I think people are having problems with).

We also found that you have to buy ALL new hardware with Vista when DH brought home his brand new computer. He returned it and got XP. No way are we going to replace perfectly good printers and other hardware. DH has a photo printer that prints up to 13 X 19. It was not cheap and would not run with Vista.

Our printer works fine with Vista and it was originally set up to work with XP. Just fyi. :)

Our computer crashed about a year ago so we started looking for a new one. EVERYthing came with Vista, nothing was even available with XP at that time. I asked our IT guy and he suggested we find XP instead. Well, we couldn't find XP so we just got a Vista system. We LOVE Vista!!! We have no issues with it at all. We do want a Mac but that's gotta wait until much later. :)

kgle (or anyone), can you provide directions on how to turn off those prompts? That's the only thing I don't like about Vista, and am anxious to get that turned off!

We've had Vista since it pretty much just came out and haven't had any issues with it. Personally, I don't see what others dislike about it - of course it's new and different so you have to get used to some things, but unless you're totally afraid of change, I don't see that as a bad thing. It does have more security features, but I prefer that even if they could be seen as a teeny bit annoying - I'd rather be annoyed but protected. Anytime I get one of the prompts to "allow or not allow" something from accessing my computer, I remember the older Mac commercials who were making fun of this feature (and crack me up with how they say "allow..."), so I just laugh as I hit allow... not a big deal (and for normal things you can click the box to not ask you about that program again). DH is an IT professional, and has used Vista since before it came out to the public - he's also fine using it. Of course a new OS for him meant he had to learn how to use it well, which is why he feels that older IT guys who are anti-Vista are probably just that way because they don't know how to use it.

Oh, and as for printers, I think it's been great... I initially just plugged the printer into the laptop and shortly after was able to print - I didn't have to load any drivers or do anything else. Normally I'd wait for DH to be home to set up a printer, but I was desperate that day and managed fine on my own. :) It can't be that bad!

I, too, was scared of Vista at first. At that point, XP was being phased out, so I figured I might as well take the plunge. I made sure to get the 2G of RAM. I have Vista on my laptop and I love it. Sure, it takes some getting used to, as anything new does, but I think it's great. Anything that didn't run on Vista, I was able to download drivers through the web to fix them up, with no problems at all. I say go for it; no need to spend $100 extra just to get an older version of Microsoft.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter