• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Windows 8

LeslieG

DIS Veteran
We got a new computer for Christmas, and Windows 8 has us very frustrated. Anyone have a good recommendation for how to best learn it; maybe a guide book or a website?

Same here. It is very frustrating. I am currently using my iphone to do all my internet surfing. Easier to use.

I basically don't use any of the apps. When I logon, I click the Desktop tile, and that takes me to the desktop (that is similar to other versions of Windows).

For browsing. After getting to the desktop and opening Internet Explorer..

Go to Tools - Internet Options - Programs Tab - Make sure the box is unchecked for "Open Internet Explorer Tiles on the desktop.

This will make any link you click in email, etc open on the regular desktop, not the app.

If you want to have access to any of the programs...while on the App screen, right click the tile and select "Pin to Taskbar". This will place an icon on the bottom of your desktop (or top/side depending on how you have it configured). You can also choose to pin it to the start screen as a tile.

To see all of your programs...while on the app screen...right click down towards the right corner, and will pop up, "See all programs." From here you can then choose what you want to pin to either the start screen or your desktop.

I know I am not taking advantage of what Windows 8 was intended, but it was too frustrating having things open as an app. No menus, no real navigation.

There is a good Help section, that should be visible when you click the See All Programs. I pinned that to my taskbar for easy reference.

I also pinned the Windows Defender to my taskbar, so I can update the definitions & run scans manually if I wanted to.

I found out the hard way that Norton does not play will with Windows 8. I used the free version from Comcast for years on my old (XP) but on this one, even though they say it is compatible, was just horrible. Hang time was literally 10 minutes sometimes, scans were running all the time because Norton couldn't determine when the system was idle.

I hadn't done my research and didn't realize that Windows 8 comes with Defender, which is now a full anti-virus, anti-malware (the old Defender was just anti-malware). I was nearly in tears thinking I spent all this money and my 10 year old XP was 100% better!. Once I uninstalled Norton and had Defender going, it was like night and day.

One think I really like on Windows 8 is the quick startup. From the time I push my on button to time I'm opening a program on desktop is less than 1 minute.

This site might be of help:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/meet

And the How To:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/how-to#2TC=windows8

I've read that we may expect Windows 8 to get some Windows 7 like improvements. Apparently there was quite a lot of disagreement about what Windows 8 ended up looking like, and the person who made the decision to make it look so different from Windows 7 left the company.

My IT guy found this for me
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It brings back the start button.

My 14 year old is not having a problem with it. It came with her new laptop. I don't like it at all. I'm always afraid I'm going to do something wrong and screw the computer up.

If's it's for Christmas call the manufacturer and see if you can get a deal on Windows 7 and install it or return it for a Windows 7 machine since it's so new?

From what I've gathered regarding Windows 8, the only winning move is not to play unless you have a touchscreen, a VERY open mind and no desire to do anything more complicated than web surfing.

What help are you looking for specifically? I just got a Windows 8 recently and I'm pretty good in it. Some things are still buggy, but once you get the hang, it's pretty easy. I just go right to desktop and go from there. Did they transfer your old computer stuff onto the new one? The WORST thing I encountered is the music program. My old computer had Roxio :goodvibes:goodvibes the new program is AWFUL :furious::furious:. I am considering buying Roxio and putting it on once I recover a bit from Christmas.
see if you can get a deal on Windows 7 and install it or return it for a Windows 7 machine since it's so new?
Good luck. We tried to find a 7 before we bought 8 and there were none to be found. Said EVERYTHING has 8 on it now, and unless a store had a pile of 7's sitting around, you weren't gonna get one.

I bought my mom a new laptop for Christmas and have yet to figure out how to shut the darn thing down without just pushing the power button and doing it! I can't find the shut down option!!!

We got a new computer for Christmas, and Windows 8 has us very frustrated. Anyone have a good recommendation for how to best learn it; maybe a guide book or a website?

I was a beta tester for Windows 8. I HATED IT, used it for 6 months and finally had to reformat my hard drive in order to put it back to Windows 7. Even when I do get a new computer I will stay with Windows 7.

Windows 8 is not designed for a computer. A tablet only and a big fail to put this platform on PCs.

Windows 8 looks like Microsoft was trying to copy Apple. The problem is most of us with PCs are used to the regular Microsoft platform. I had to sit down with my brother and SIL the other day to show them how to naviagte Windows 8. They thought they had installed the OS improperly.

I bought my mom a new laptop for Christmas and have yet to figure out how to shut the darn thing down without just pushing the power button and doing it! I can't find the shut down option!!!

If you move your arrow to the very top right hand corner - almost half of your arrow will be off the right hand side of the screen - a display will show down the right side. The bottom icon is the settings. Click on the settings icon and a larger blue area will appear with a power button at the bottom.

I bought mine at Staples, it came with a free 30 minute lesson. Actually the employee spent 1.5 hours with me.

Move your cursor to the top right corner of the screen. Do a little downward/sideways swishy move and a column will appear that runs the right side vertical length of your computer. There swill be a list of options,choose "settings". Click it, then shut down. Screen will go black but it takes a few seconds to actually power down. When the light for the power button goes out, you're all set.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter