Window treatments for sliding doors???

r3ngels

<font color=darkorchid>I am a bit odd! But in a cu
We are moving this month and I am trying to figure out the window treatments so we can put them up when we get there. We are building so there is no existing treatments at all....

So besides vertical blinds what do people do on sliders? They are very pretty doors with the grilles on them so I don't want them to covered too much plus I want the light. :sunny:

What should I put on them? Any ideas? :confused3

(BTW... my DH thinks I am slightly crazy for asking a DIS chat room about window treatments but I told him my DIS friends have a wealth of knowledge. :teeth: )

Thanks!!!!!! :wave2:

r3ngels said:
We are moving this month and I am trying to figure out the window treatments so we can put them up when we get there. We are building so there is no existing treatments at all....

So besides vertical blinds what do people do on sliders? They are very pretty doors with the grilles on them so I don't want them to covered too much plus I want the light. :sunny:

What should I put on them? Any ideas? :confused3

(BTW... my DH thinks I am slightly crazy for asking a DIS chat room about window treatments but I told him my DIS friends have a wealth of knowledge. :teeth: )

Thanks!!!!!! :wave2:

Honestly, we're not putting up anything on our sliders in our home that we're building. They will have the grilles, just like yours. But, ours wil be at an angle that it won't matter. You'd have to be standing on the back porch to see into ours.

If that weren't the case, I'd probably do the vertical blinds. I'm just not a big fan of them, but don't know of anything else that could be used that wouldn't get in the way.

When I had sliders I had pull drapes - it opened to the backyard so I wasn't worried about privacy during the day. But at night I wanted to close off the big black hole it became!

You could put sheer curtains on yours, and pull them to one side to allow access.

I just got the new J.C. Penney Spring catalog and, in there, they have a treatment by Waverly for the French Doors. It is a fabric material that you roll up and secure with Velcro when you want to let in the light, and then when you want privacy you roll it down and attach at the bottom. There are not cords, chains, etc. It's all done by hand. They were $29.99 for each and came in about 6 different patterns.

We have folding shutters. Kind of hard to describe, but there are two pairs which separate in the middle, so you can have them completely open or partially closed. When open, they fold back away from the door opening so the sliding door is completely exposed. I like them a lot and people always remark on how pretty they are when they see them.

ucralum said:
We have folding shutters. Kind of hard to describe, but there are two pairs which separate in the middle, so you can have them completely open or partially closed. When open, they fold back away from the door opening so the sliding door is completely exposed. I like them a lot and people always remark on how pretty they are when they see them.

Wow susan, they sound cool! I'm looking for a change myself; any possible way you could photograph them?

kbkids said:
Honestly, we're not putting up anything on our sliders in our home that we're building. They will have the grilles, just like yours. But, ours wil be at an angle that it won't matter. You'd have to be standing on the back porch to see into ours.

If that weren't the case, I'd probably do the vertical blinds. I'm just not a big fan of them, but don't know of anything else that could be used that wouldn't get in the way.

It's funny vertical's are the only thing that I can think of too.

ucralum said:

Susan can you do it in a bay with windows on the side of them?

I was wondering about curtains but I already have (in my head) treatments for the other windows and I don't know if that would match.

I'll have to check out JCPenney... maybe even online.

i assume the door is already purchased/installed?

My mom has a slider with the blinds (horizontal ones) inside the glass. so no treatment necessary...and it looks so streamlined...(actually - all her windows in her back room have the 'built in blinds").

stinkerbelle said:
i assume the door is already purchased/installed?

My mom has a slider with the blinds (horizontal ones) inside the glass. so no treatment necessary...and it looks so streamlined...(actually - all her windows in her back room have the 'built in blinds").

these facinate me! does she like them? i'm curious, if you go with a color scheme and somewhere down the line want to change the color-are they hugely expensive to change?

as for us-verticles on the ones in the great room, and sheers with the HEAVIEST drapes i could find at the time on the one in the master bedroom (i wanted to be able to shut out the light so i could sleep in on weekends).

one thing i learned (through a bad decision on a friend's part) was to check the quality of the sliding glass door itself-check to see if the temperature varies much around it or if any bit of breeze gets throught it. you could end up with either verticals that rattle or find you need drapes with insulating fabric to deal with a cold spot in the room (who wants to get out of bed and walk past a slider that makes you freeze?-not me :) )

What about a decorative valance? I love this company called Pate-Meadows that sells patterns and designs window treatments for Southern Living magazine. Here is their website, they have a lot of beautiful pictures of their treatments. The "Indoor Awning" might be cool over sliding doors.

http://patemeadows.com/

barkley said:
these facinate me! does she like them? i'm curious, if you go with a color scheme and somewhere down the line want to change the color-are they hugely expensive to change?

well -her's she can't change (installed in late 80's)...but the new ones you can I guess...
http://www.pella.com/products/windows_patiodoors/Detail.asp?path=/products/patio/sliding/designer

ZoomSliderDesigner2_img.jpg

and the newer ones can be fully raised...

5459_Set4_BlindsB_ARB.jpg

DH and I have regular french doors...and needed something to cover them (as we felt like we were in a fishbowl and I really dislike vertical blinds...) so we got these..they snap right into the existing frame...very cool...made by ODL...got them at Lowes.

089023655695.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=209214-424-209214&lpage=none

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter