Wind-Away River for so-so swimmers

Captain Hook Wannabe

Mouseketeer
So I just booked DC for the end of July. First time going to DC and we are all very excited. My two boys are not great swimmers. I read a review of Wind-Away River that described it as an intense lazy river. The description talked of 2powerful waterfalls where lifeguards had to make rescues. Nowhere else have I read about such a problem. I know the depth varies between 3 and 8 feet. That shouldn't be a problem vest and a noodle. But I am concerned about the description I came across. Can anyone let me know how tame or intense the lazy river can be? Thanks.

Wind-away river does have two waterfall features...one is part of the "cave" at the entrance to the river:

and the other is a more forceful waterfall at the entrance to the aviary.

Going under the one at the aviary, you will get a good pounding of water, but its not worrisome (there is actually a park photographer usually stationed there in the water to get family photos in front of that waterfall). From my understanding, the waterfall is used as a natural barrier for the birds in the aviary, hence why its a bit stronger in force vs. a more gentle, decorative waterfall like the one at the river entrance.

I don't consider the lazy river to be wild, dangerous or concerning in the slightest (and that's coming from someone who is not the strongest swimmer herself).

Definitely the depth would be more of an issue for most little folks than the waterfalls, but that is easily overcome with the life vests and swim noodles.

The river is LONG (takes 20 minutes or so to complete one full rotation) but the current is mostly mild (there are couple of places it picks up and moves you along a tad more swiftly, but still nothing I would consider wild, scary, or otherwise). And there are literally lifeguards every 10 feet....more lifeguards at DC than you will see at any other waterpark, anywhere. It is difficult for anyone to feel unsafe at DC when the lifeguards are in such abundance :) .

I am shocked someone described Wind Away River as anything but peaceful and family friendly. "Intense" would be one of the last adjectives I would pick.

Thanks so much for your response. The writer said she saw 2 rescues, by lifeguards, as a result of the waterfalls. I'm guessing the person was being a little dramatic.

Gina

A little off topic, but you seem to be the resident expert on Discovery Cove. I'm breaking the bank to go there, and want to do it right. Do you have any advice on how to plan the day? We are early risers and will be there well before the park opens.

Any suggestions as to the order we should experience the attractions. The only things I know to do is: 1. Do the Dolphin experience early. We are going in July and want to schedule that experience before the afternoon thunderstorms hit. 2. Experience the Aviary in the morning while the birds are still hungry.

Besides that I am clueless. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gina

A little off topic, but you seem to be the resident expert on Discovery Cove. I'm breaking the bank to go there, and want to do it right. Do you have any advice on how to plan the day? We are early risers and will be there well before the park opens.

Any suggestions as to the order we should experience the attractions. The only things I know to do is: 1. Do the Dolphin experience early. We are going in July and want to schedule that experience before the afternoon thunderstorms hit. 2. Experience the Aviary in the morning while the birds are still hungry.

Besides that I am clueless. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You really have done a great job at planning so far. You have hit on all the things I would have suggested:

- arrive early....it makes the most of your day (because trust me...time passes so fast!), and it will help you snag that early dolphin swim (as a general rule, the earlier you arrive, the earlier your swim is scheduled for)

- have breakfast, then hit the aviary while you wait for your dolphin swim time

As for the rest of the day, its yours to enjoy and no planning is needed. Eat when you're hungry, rest when you're tired, and try out all the other areas of the park to see which one you enjoy most (we love the Wind Away River and the Freshwater Oasis, but many folks are partial to the Grand Reef). Its one of the reasons we LOVE DC....its so relaxing and unscheduled and very go-with-the-flow.

If you are doing the dolphin swim, I would encourage you to try and budget for one of the photo packages (either the Adventure package or the Discovery package, both include the photo CD). Trust me, you will want those dolphin swim photos (plus you can get other photos throughout the park as photographers can be found in the Wind Away River, in the Freshwater Oasis, in the aviary, etc.).

Bring a waterproof camera, if you have one, so you can get pics while you're snorkelling. They sell disposable ones for a very reasonable price at the park, too.

Seriously, though, you can enjoy the whole park with very little planning, as admission is restricted to 1300 or less guests per day. Its awesome. I think you will love it!!!

Edited to add.....also try to squeeze in a visit to SeaWorld and Aquatica if possible. Both fantastic parks, and 14 days admission to each is included with your DC tickets.

We were there last week and the Wind away river had very little current We ended up swiming most of it. We used the noodles provided but they also have life vests. It was a work out, we did it twice.

We got to park a few minutes before opening, got our locker and vests then got chairs in the shade then ate breakfast.
We then fed the birds, changed into our swim suites and hit the snorkel area.

We did not do the dolphin swim so we hit everything 2-3 times plus a nap on the beach while our son was snorkeling.

The park was about 2/3 full when we went and the snorkeling area got crowded sometimes which got uncomfortable with people kicking around and not paying attention.

It was a fun day, we were in the water till about 5:15, park closed at 5:30.

The food lines took a little while but not to bad, we were so full from bfast and lunch we didn't have many snacks.

The better beer selection is at the snack bar by the Wind away river.

Have fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter