• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Williamsburg, VA

Jake&IzzyLand

Mouseketeer
For any of you that have been, or live around the area, could you help me with a few questions? TIA :)

If you drive over to VA beach for the day, where should we go for a nice spot on the beach and what it the parking situation? Also, is it possible to spend morning to evening there in mid summer?

Is Yorktown Beach located in the York River State Park?

Are you able to do Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown Settlement in one day?

Is Busch Gardens a 1 or 2 day park? Is it hard to meet Elmo or any of the characters?

On vacation it's a must for us to have ice cream, pizza and search for the world's best burger, any recommendations?

Anything that you think I should add?

It's been a long time since we went but this is what I remember:

We went to VA beach for an afternoon (Sept) and were able to find a parking spot without trouble and just played on the sand for a couple hours (our kids were very young).

We did Williamsburg and Jamestown Settlement on two separate days. We like Jamestown the best.

We've done Busch Gardens several times and for us it's a one-day park. Great park!

We went last summer, it was an amazing trip! We spent an entire day at williamsburg, from opening to close, but we wanted to see everything and participate in all the re-enactments. We spent one day at busch gardens and were able to do everything, but it was very slow then (last week in May), so all the rides were walk-ons. I would imagine you may need more time if it was busier.
We spent half a day at Jamestown.
Not sure where you are staying, but we rented a time share from VRBO, we had a 2 BR for $85 a night, there are many to choose from.
We did eat ice cream, but I don't remember anything standing out. There is a make your own donut place (Duck donuts, maybe??) that was very good.
Enjoy, it's an awesome place!

Our family stayed in Williamsburg 1 week. We purchased passes ( 7 day Bounce Pass, I think it was called). The Pass allows unlimited access to Colonial Williamsburg, and Busch Gardens for seven days. It was very affordible, especially compared to WDW tickets.
We would spend mornings at Colonial Williamsburg. There are different offerings of demonstrations depending on which day of the week you visit, so multiple days we saw/participated in different activities.
Afternoons, we returned to the Condo, had lunch, swam or napped. In the evenings we would go to Busch Gardens. We were there in July, and Busch Gardens was very crowded. We didn't see any characters, the grandkids are not into them, more about the rides.
We spent one day visiting Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center, and I think we went into Yorktown and had lunch.
We didn't go to the beach, and I can't remember any outstanding ice cream. We had Papa Johns 2 nights in a row. We don't have Papa Johns close to us.
Hope this helps.

The bounce pass includes water country usa. We love that water park. And parking is also included for busch and water country with the bounce pass. Last year, if you bought an adult bounce pass, you received a free pass for a kid under six.

OP, parking at VA Beach in the summer can be a true challenge! If you are not staying at a hotel it can take a while to find parking, which may be metered which is a pain.

We went to Colonial Williamsburg last Summer, and spent a day at Virginia Beach (we had such a good time, we're doing it again this year!). Virginia Beach has a few good websites for beach info (just google)...there are different sections of the beach area...the more touristy part of the beach is largely metered parking and garages. There are some "local" beach areas that residents go to with free parking, but those areas tend to be amenity free. We went to the boardwalk area, and parked in a garage. We paid $10 for 8 hours, so it was actually not too bad. The historic area is a real treat...you can certainly have a good time in one day, but to see everything you really need 2 or 3 days. There are many optional scheduled events included with admission, there are two museums on site, and not every building is open on the same day. It all depends on what you would like to see and do. In the evenings, there are some great programs/shows as well, but those cost extra (if you like silly..."A Grand Medley of Entertainments" is worth your time and money if it's being performed during your visit...be sure to arrive 20-30min early, as some of the cast usually comes out in character and improvs with the crowd).

The bounce pass includes water country usa. We love that water park. And parking is also included for busch and water country with the bounce pass. Last year, if you bought an adult bounce pass, you received a free pass for a kid under six.

Water Country is a wonderful water park. I have season passes for BGW and WC. A day at each would be great if possible.

Agree, Havenese Lover. We also have season passes to both, which is great when we go to Orlando, because Sea World and Aquatica are free for us!! OP, definitely make room for Water Country----great park!! Also, the drive from Williamsburg to Va Beach can be a lot of traffic. I would probably suggest a split stay, maybe 1 or 2 nights at a Va Beach hotel

I lived in Hampton Roads for 20 years. Traffic is brutal, make sure you pay attention to the time and not travel during rush hours. Also if there is a festival on the ocean front, the traffic can be crazy down on there on the beach. It just gridlocks and you're stuck. Not saying you can't go down there, but do your research.

There is quite a bit of city owned lots. 19th street is sticking in my mind for a larger lot. The best place to park as far as location, but very expensive, is 12th and Atlantic. It is right on the boardwalk. It's just a small house lot. Lol My older kids used to park in the Harris Teeter lot at 28th street, when it was still a Food Lion, but I am SURE you couldn't get away with that. If the tourist scene is not a must do, then consider going to the beach on the bay side, in First Landing State Park. There is a small day use fee, there are bathrooms, showers, snack bar and it is NOT crowded! Yorktown beach is just on the river, I wouldn't even consider it.

Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown absolutely can not be done in one day. Jamestown and Yorktown have fabulous museums, and Williamsburg is well, Williamsburg. If you like history, you'll love it.

Doumar's in downtown Norfolk is an awesome place to go for ice cream.

Is Yorktown Beach located in the York River State Park?

No, Yorktown Beach is in historic Yorktown and York River State Park is farther north. I would HIGHLY recommend doing Historic Yorktown and our beach. It's just beautiful. We even have a 1776 copy of the declaration of independence! In the summer there is a working plantation the kids can take part in, and a free trolly that will give guides of the area. You can go to the victory monument were the british surrendered. It's absolutely beautiful. There's great restaurants, bakeries, shops, and then the beach. We have music festivals and market days (first saturday of the month). Then there are the historic battlefields and the yorktown pub. I absolutely love historic yorktown!

We spent two full days at Colonial Williamsburg and still didn't see/do all that we wanted. Jamestowne (the national park) was incredible as well. I planned a half day there, and it really was not enough. Don't miss the glass blowers and the archeology tour is fantastic. We also felt the ranger talk at Yorktown Battlefield was great. My teens and tween were as interested as DH and I.

Water Country is the best water park we've gone to. I wish every water park did lazy rivers like that. We did 1.5 days at Busch Gardens, plus we popped over for a couple of hours one night.

Absolutely go to Wythe Candy! We liked Anna's Brick Oven Pizza quite a lot.

If you can't tell, we really liked Williamsburg. We actually detoured through there on our way back from the Outer Banks just to stop at Wythe Candy and take another picture with the Thomas Jefferson statue. I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

Y'all are fantastic! I so appreciate the advice and insight. I'm really looking forward to our trip, sounds both exciting with a chance for some relaxation too, which I could really use :)

Water Country is a wonderful water park. I have season passes for BGW and WC. A day at each would be great if possible.

HavaneseLover, I just wanted to say I love your screen name :)!

Another vote for Water Country! Right now they are doing a deal for both parks for $75 per person all summer long.

...Are you able to do Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown Settlement in one day?

Is Busch Gardens a 1 or 2 day park? Is it hard to meet Elmo or any of the characters?...

We usually try to do CW in 2 days. One is a bit tight...1.5 seems about right. Doing both Williamsburg and Jamestown the same day wouldn't do justice to either, especially CW. Don't think of CW as a colonial Disney World, where you try to jam in attractions as fast as you can. Part of the beauty of Williamsburg is taking it kind of slow. My kids could stand and watch the blacksmith work for an hour at a time.

We were able to do Busch pretty well in one day, but it was a full day.

My in-laws have a time share in Williamsburg. We have been quite a few times but only twice with the kids. We spent one week there the summer before last and two weeks there this past summer. It is a fun place. We drove to VA beach the summer before last. We didn't have any issues finding parking, but we went during the week. I got to say the drive there was a pain (so much rush hour traffic) so you might want to leave later than we did. We did have to park in a paid lot across the street from the beach. I don't recall how much we paid for parking, but I don't think it was outrageous. My advice would be to go on a weekday after rush-hour. I think that helped us with the parking issue tremendously. I think it is possible to spend an entire day there if you like the beach. We only stayed about four hours. My in-laws were with us, including my DH's grandfather, who was 95 at the time. We also had our 2 year old daughter with us. While they had fun, they weren't interested in staying the entire day. We got there around 10:00 and left around 2:00.

I don't have any information about Yorktown Beach as we haven't ever been there.

I don't think you would really be able to do CW and Jamestown in the same day. There is too much to see and do at both places. In fact, I would recommend a few days at CW (if you have the time) and one day at Jamestown. We can do BG in one day. However, the last two years they have offered a pass that if you paid regular admission price for one day (no discounts), you could get in the rest of the summer (until Labor Day) for free. We did that the last two trips. DH and I took our oldest daughter once on each trip, and concentrated on the things she could do. Then we did a least one date night on each of our last two trips to ride the roller-coasters. The last trip, we did a few date nights because were there for two weeks. Another thing, you might consider at BG if you have little kids is the Elmo character lunch. MY DD loved that. The food wasn't that great, but the show was fantastic. She also really enjoyed playing in the splash areas at BG so make sure to build in time for that. Really, it depends on who fast you want to tour at BG. You could probably do it in one day if you needed to, but you could go at a much slower relaxing pace if you did two days.

Not sure about ice cream and pizza, but I agree with the above poster about Duck Doughnuts...we got them on our last trip for breakfast....so yummy. We did have ice cream at Coldstone, but that really isn't that special. We also really like the restaurant Food for Thought. It was wonderful. We also liked Bakers' Crust, which is also a restaurant. We always make sure to visit the Yankee Candle Store. My oldest daughter was just talking about that store last weekend. They have a few make your own candle type interactive experiences, a candy store, and a Christmas section, including Santa. It is way more than just your typical Yankee Candle store. We generally do dinner at a Tavern, which is expensive but fun. Water Country is also fun. My in-laws love the Cheese Shop, which is a little sandwich shop in CW. It is good but pricy.

Sometimes we will go over to the Williamsburg Winery. They have a nice little restaurant there, which we usually do for lunch (sandwiches and salads), but we haven't taken a tour there since our kids came along.

Last edited:
went to school in Williamsburg, would recommend the Cheese Shop for sandwiches, Wythe candy, and for ice cream - Sno to Go on Richmond Road is a great treat - like Rita's Ice with custard but much better...if you are looking to go to VA beach just for the day and not looking for the boardwalk type touristy stuff - would recommend going to Sandbridge as they have a public lot at I think little island park -it fills up so good to get there early; if you prefer VA beach oceanfront, the hotels in the north section around 30th street seem best for families

HavaneseLover, I just wanted to say I love your screen name :)!

Another vote for Water Country! Right now they are doing a deal for both parks for $75 per person all summer long.

Thanks. We have a Havanese who stole our hearts:)

Yes, through 3/31 the two park fun passes are $75. I have it on my calendar to buy them for my children (I have an annual pass to get free parking and a discount on food).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter