Williamsburg ,Va Campgrounds

mrsfascinating

Mouseketeer
Before visiting Fort Wilderness next year we are planning a trip to Williamsburg, Va. We have not been impressed by any of the websites for campgrounds in that area. So from all you fellow campers that have stayed in Williamsburg what is your opinion on where to stay while visiting that area?:goodvibes

Stay away from the pottery campground The grass was 1' high and looked very old.

We stayed at the KOA it wasn't great but was OK and clean.
We had friends stay at the Anvil CG but they complained about a train every morning at 5:30am

We've stayed twice at American Heritage campground and have been pleased. It is somewhat of an open field with scattered trees, but the owners are nice, the facilities are kept in good shape and they have been improving the sites with concrete pads and landscaping. I have some pics on my Webshots page per the link in my sig.

If you don't mind a little drive I would suggest "BETH PAGE' It is the nicest camp ground we have stayed in so far.

You can do an internet serch for it.

We stayed at American Heritage twice this spring. I don't know that I would call it an open field. There are quite a few trees, roughly one per site, and the bathrooms are comparable to FW. I was very impressed by the cleanliness and moderness of the bathhouse. There is a pool and a dog play area. It was not real close to Busch Gardens but not a bad drive. This is the only place we stay when going to Williamsburg. You can check out their website and get a feel for the layout of the campground.

Stay away from the pottery campground The grass was 1' high and looked very old.

We stayed at the KOA it wasn't great but was OK and clean.
We had friends stay at the Anvil CG but they complained about a train every morning at 5:30am

I have to say that the train comes through more like every 20 mins ALL NIGHT LONG!!! Oh, and dont forget that the ground shakes too. Kinda like being on storm chasers>>>>just with trains instead of tornadoes!:eek:

If you are not REALLY into trains stay away from both KOA and Anvil campgrounds. They are close to historic WB but are not conducive to good sleep! American Heritage is ok, but I agree with the "open field" comparisons. I have yet to find an acceptable cg in WB. Which is a shame since we love WB.

ShantaClausSm.png

We stayed several years ago at the James river campground (across from the entrance to Jamestown) which I now understand to be closed, hopefully preventing others from the nastiest campground we ever stayed at.
We always felt that this area lacked a premier campground.

We stayed at Newport News Park for a week last year, very nice park. It is equivalent to our state parks here in New York. Nice programs, trails, all the things you would want in a campground. Not sure when you are staying, but the only drawback is the lack of swimming if you are visiting in the summer.

We've lived less than 3 hours from Williamsburg for over 25 years now and have just never been so I find this thread very informative since we plan to solve that oversight next year when we head down to the Fl. Keys for our spring road trip in Apr/May/Jun of 2010. Looks like for us the American Heritage might be the best fit for us.

Larry

We laughingly remember Anvil campground. Nothing like feeling the entire camper shake when the coal trains go by. You've never seen such a long train until you witness those coal trains coming out of W.Va.. Then when things get quiet, here comes an Amtrak. :lmao:

We do still have some smashed peenies from that trip, though.

For you military folks (active and reserve), DOD civilians or retired military, there is the Navy Campground at Cheatham Annex, right off the Colonial Parkway. (Not open to the general public or folks that served in the military but did not retire from the service.)

FHU sites, concrete pads, cable TV and clean restrooms, all for $20/night. It is right on a golf course, too. Not any big ammenities, but it is just a quick ride to Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water World.

Best Regards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter