Will you stand in line with this kind of increase?

No way!

I don't really care about 3D most of the movies that I like to see it would not matter. I go to a lot of movies and constantly challenge myself to find cheap ways to do it.

Matinees are of course awesome, I found cereal that had codes in them evey 2 boxes got a free ticket. By combining that with a sale and coupons I paid about 1.00 a box and I bought all that I could find.

There were chick flicks in my grocery store for 10.00 with a code for a free ticket that makes those movies basically free.

My local theater gives a free small popcorn on Tuesdays when you are in their club.

I REFUSE to buy their concessions.

If they keep increasing I will just stay home and watch movies on TV. You can pretty much buy the DVD for the price of a ticket. Sheesh!

Lisa

We rarely go to the theater to see a show and if we do it's a matinee and not in 3D and I do not buy snacks/popcorn at the theater. We do have a $3 theater close by. The drive in theater near by has How To Train Your Dragon and Tooth Fairy tonight *Dragon will start at 8pm, we'll see how late we can stay. We'll go in our jammies, load the car with snacks and blankets. It'll cost $13 for the 3 of us to see these 2 shows.

OT, with the popularity of 3-D movies/dvds will your family be investing in a 3-D TV to view such films in top quality?
At "only" $3,500? With two pairs of 3-D glasses, of course? After only 45 movies at home, you're ahead of the game.

But to answer your original question: it's just me, I don't go out much, and I go to the movies even less. It's got to be something REALLY good - i.e. the last movie I saw in the theater was the fourth Indiana Jones. What was that, three years ago? So, yes, I would continue to go... with the same level of frequency :rotfl2:

I am not a fan of 3D movies and get bummed that theaters only offer that version sometimes. My family likes it. I prefer to watch a movie without the added hardware. That is without any consideration to the price. I just don't like 3D.

I heard about the increase today too...boohoo.

Personally i LOVE going to the movies so i am probaly always going to pay but will try for the matinees whenver possible.

FOR ME the killer is the soda and popcorn for $12.00....UGH or did that go up too!

I did see Alice in Wonderland in 2D because 3D was sold out but i dont feel like i missed out.

No for us too! Never was the type to have to see the latest film out .Now we just wate and watch it on tv.For the $50.00 we can buy 50 dvd's of tons of movies we never seen before even if there old were entertained by them.

We usually only go to 2 or 3 movies a year, so when we go, it's all in! 3D, popcorn with that fake butter grease, candy, woohoo! Sure, it can be kind of expensive, but I agree with a PP that some movies are just better on the big screen. Avatar on IMax in 3D was awesome! :thumbsup2

Our entertainment budget is virtually non-existant right now so we don't go see any first-run movies. We are fortunate that we have a theater near us that charges $1 per person and has great pricing on snacks and drinks. The movies shown are just about to be out on dvd or may even be out but going to the theater is more entertainment than watching it at home. Even with that we seldom go to the movies.

Last time we went there all four of us went for about $12 including popcorn and drinks (we shared).

When we do see a regular movies it is usually because we've either gotten free passes or the grandparents are paying for the family to have a treat. At Christmas time we saw Princess and the Frog and the cost seemed outrageous even though the money was given to us to pay.

I can't imagine paying more for the 3-D version.

Maybe when my finances turn around I'll have a different opinion but for now we are a seldom movie theater family and won't pay more for 3-D.

And another thing (again) that I forgot to mention-LOL. You have to get the 3-D glasses everytime. I still have the glasses from Toy Story 1/2 in 3-D. I should not have to buy them again and create even more waste. :3dglasses

We have already cut down on the number of movies we see in the theater and higher prices will cut that down even more.

3-D is nice once in a while but not worth the extra money. It is just another movie effect-means nothing if the story is bad.

We have never been to the theater as a family-it would break us.:rotfl2: We use the theater more as a special treat for one on one time with the kids.

The theater in our town is horrible. Dirty, broken seats, hard to see the screen because the floor has such a small slope, even if the seat is not broken, it is still uncomfortable. We really try to go out of town where the nice theaters are-same price by the way. The only good thing about our theater is that it is 5 min. away and they have free refills.

I would love to stream from Netflix and I will have to look into that a little more if prices are jacked up.

We rarely have a date afternoon and go to the movies. It's not cost being the problem. My problem are the other movie goers. I am sick of phones ringing, rude comments, obnoxious groups, and the complete lack of civility allowed in movie theaters these days. :sad2:

I don't like to pay to deal with rude people.

We have netflix and love it. I can stream a lot of movies whenever I want.

Now I will take DS to see his first movie in a theater for Toy Story 3. I will also go to a theater to see Harry Potter. Other than that, I can wait for the DVD :confused3 I think that speaks volumes about one other thing not mentioned: I don't care *that* much about a lot of the movies coming out. I hear about them and am not in a rush to get to the theaters. Only a few movies really intrigue me enough to see right away at greater expense :thumbsup2

We would probably go every weekend if it were $5 like it was when we were kids. We got a nice set up at home and watch them there instead. We went to two movies last year and had tickets from mycokerewards for one of them.

This is one of the reasons I eventually want to get a tricked out home movie system and set up my own private theater in our basement! It's just DH and I but we can easily drop $35 in admision and concesions on a regular film, even more for 3D. If we average $35 a visit and go once per month, that's $420 a year. It would take a few years, but we'd eventually break even and then start "making" money on our home set up. There are some movies, like Avatar, that we'd likely still go see on the "big" screen but I think we'd be perfectly happy seeing 99.9% of films at home.

But for us, it's not just the cost. I just can't stand seeing movies with other people anymore, so many are so rude and talk through it, or their kids act up, or someone bring an infant that cries, heck one time a fight nearly broke out. And action movies are SO LOUD, even my DH (who loves loud things) complained when we saw Transformers last sumer, he said it gave him a headache it was so loud.

Plus if I have anything to drink then I either have to get up in the middle of the movie and miss part of it or hold it until the end and be uncomfortable for the last 1/3 of the film. At home I can pause it at will! :)

We see about 1 movie every couple of months in the theater. We love going and will continue to go. For me , seeing a movie I really want to see in the theater is important. It is just not the same at home, and I love the 3-D. We are not big on eating out so, I figure I can go to the movies for the price of a dinner out, and I would rather see the movie.

And another thing (again) that I forgot to mention-LOL. You have to get the 3-D glasses everytime. I still have the glasses from Toy Story 1/2 in 3-D. I should not have to buy them again and create even more waste. :3dglasses

our theater recycles them. You put them in a bin when you leave and they are sanitized and repackaged.

We would probably go every weekend if it were $5 like it was when we were kids. We got a nice set up at home and watch them there instead. We went to two movies last year and had tickets from mycokerewards for one of them.

Seriously! I would probably go way more often if it was only $5...and I bet that would make them more money in the long run!

Our theaters charge $9-10 for a 3D matinee. $3 of that is a surcharge for 3D. I already rent from Redbox for 2D movies, and we will continue to wait for movies to come out as rentals. We will be saving 3D events as very, very special events. Great, this price hike comes just in time because they want to see "How to Train Your Dragon".

I hope this strategy comes back to bite Hollywood in the behind. Strangling the golden goose is not a wise move, especially in this economy.

The extra charge for 3D isn't for the glasses, it's for the special projectors.

I really think the only folks paying these ridiculous prices are teenagers with too much discretionary money.
popcorn::popcorn::

I am 40, and I do pay those prices. I enjoy 3d movies, BUT they don't charge that much around here. This is the prices from my local theater, where I am going tonight, and on Sunday (for a 3d film that day)...

Adult (12 and up) $8.25
Child (Age 2-11) $6.25
Senior (65+) $6.25
Matinee (Before 5:30pm) $6.25
Tuesday Night Discount $6.25

An Additional $2.50 Charge Applies To All 3D Showings.

We have a new theater that only has 12 seats, all leather recliners, and offer full dinner menus. It is great. Dinner and a movie is $40 a person, and I always have a great seat.

But we only do that for new movies. Our basement has a home theater complete with popcorn machine. It even has the red curtain across the screen like the old days. I'd rather do that than go to the large chain theaters. They show a commercial now for not talking that gets me mad because I think people are talking and using their cell phone. It gets me every time. I hate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter