Will you share your Elf on a Shelf Antics?

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
I am looking for some different ideas for Elf on a Shelf antics that I am hoping some of you wouldn’t mind sharing. Some of mine are:

1) Fishing for Goldfish Crackers. I had the elf sitting among my Disney Christmas Village with a clear bowl that I nestled down into the “snow”, threw a few fish in the bowl, tied a string onto a little stick for the fishing pole and tied a goldfish cracker on the end of the string.
2) Used post-it notes to create a large tree on the wall and even stung lights on it.
3) Strung lights all over the foyer with the Elf dangling from one of the strands.
4) Toilet papered the Christmas tree…the elf was tired of looking at our undecorated tree so she took it upon herself to decorate….she left a note saying that too.
5) Toasting mini marshmellows over a tea light candle.
6) I hope to do this one this year….gift wrap the toilet.
7) I used window markers to leave notes on windows and mirrors.
8) I put a Christmas cupcake under a glass dome cake plate with the Elf stuck under it with the words “help me” written inside with window markers.
9) DH built an elaborate tower of Legos that had all her Barbie dolls modeled all over it and the elf on top….it was about four feet high. I had simply asked him to build a box around the elf with legos. :lmao:

Harold likes to pour flour over the kitchen counter and write a message in it. The first year he arrived, he wrote his name in it. I think it was after DD spent the first day he was there trying to figure out his name. Last year when he arrived, he did it his arrival night and wrote "I'm back." He has been known to leave behind a flour Merry Christmas message on Christmas morning after he is gone.

Harold has decorated our Christmas tree with DD's underwear. She was not amused. Last year he did it with her Dad's socks instead which she found hilarious. He has also done it with toilet paper. Sometimes he hangs Christmas ribbon all over the place. He also has been known to create a zipline with it from an object like a light fixture or ceiling fan from something else, and has been found hanging from his zipline. He likes to watch Christmas movies with DD's dolls and stuffed animals. He also has came nights where we will find him and Dd's other dolls and animals around a game board playing. One night he made a ton of paper snowflakes and was sitting with them the next morning. He has been found hanging from the ceiling fan where he clearly was having a grand time. He has been found driving a barbie car with barbie as a passenger. He has made lego sculptures He has been found with a few of DD's other dolls and stuffed animals crusing around on the tile in DD's plasma car. He has had cottonball snowball fights with DD's other dolls and stuffed animals, even building a fort out of cotton balls which he was sitting behind. He has used a string of Christmas lights to decorate random things. He has been to WDW with us, where he wrote in shaving cream on the mirror, put himself in the place of the Duffy DD always sleeps with and moved Duffy out of bed, hung upside down from the light fixtures; read a box with another stuffed animal or doll; and used the shower/bathtub clothes line as a zip line. Those are all the ones I can recall off the top of my head, but I'm sure he has gotten in lots of trouble other ways as well.

I think he might have to go goldfish fishing this year! Hmmm-wrapping the toilet sounds like something Harold would do- but it sounds like it might be kind of difficult!

Buddy the Elf is naughty at our house. He gets into all sorts of trouble. We have high ceilings and he always climbing up on ceiling fans and on the top of cabinets etc. He likes sugar and is often caught with pancake syrup or candy or pop tarts way up out of DS reach. He takes a cotton ball bubble bath in the sink, and dresses in the clothes we have laid out for DS to wear the next day. He appears in the car and even in DS bed while he is asleep. He unwrapped a present under the tree and took all the bows off of them. He even stowed away to school in DS book bag but you have to know your child's teacher really well to know if this would be ok. However, after a few days of being naughty, he will leave DS a special treat. A special christmas cookie or shirt or candy or book or movie. He pretty much moves whenever we leave the house. It's loads of fun.

Our Elf isn't naughty, the whole point is for the kids to be good:). He will probably get more fun as they get older. Sometimes Grace just watched quietly from the tree, or the stocking. Sometimes she hung from the ceiling fan, or she would hang out with the other elves and Santa. She did take a marshmallow bath one day. She loves syrup and drank it a few times. The morning before Christmas Eve she left reindeer donuts( I am sure you have seen them in Pinterest, they are the chocolate donettes with pretzel ears and m and m nose. I am not very good at the elf. Some nights it is all I can do to remember to change the spot, especially last year with a newborn. I wanted to make sure the kids didn't come out of their rooms and see she had already moved, and I would fall asleep in the couch shortly after they went to bed!
This year I plan to do a couple of fun things, hopefully. Some ideas I saw were, putting bows all over the kitchen. That seems easy, and it will be a cute addition to the decor. I will also try to string her up from the doorway with string and a toilet paper tube so that she looks like she is swinging. I plan to have a. Arrival breakfast this year, it will probably be donuts bc My kids always beat me out of bed! The kids love the elf, I am going to try to be a better Santa helper:)

So glad I found this thread! This our first year with the elf on the shelf and I really enjoy reading and seeing everyone's ideas. Here's what we've done so far...

This was Snowflake's first night, she came in like a wrecking ball, Miley Cyrus style

Next was the zip line. The cat tried for 30 minutes to get her.

Love the "Ho Ho Ho, Who has to go?" toilet one.:lmao:

I'm 11 days into doing this for our second year and am running out of ideas so thanks for any additional ideas.

Last night Alisa toilet papered the staircase railings and the chandalier...DD's response...."pretty but kind of weird".

The night before she was hungry and mixed a bowl of pasta with honey, ketchup, mustard, choc chips, white choc chips, mini marshmallows, dill relish and goldfish crackers for crunch....DD's response...."yuuuuuccckk"

She was playing Silly Sliders with a few stuffed animals and they all had on mustaches...DD loved the mustaches and woke me up with one on herself.

She gift wrapped the toilet and put a very pretty Christmas floral arrangement on the back of the toilet....DD's response...."very pretty".

She was up in a wreath in our second story foyer....DD's response...."why is she up there?"

Lil Red tp'd the living room the first night. The second night, he made his way downstairs and made a swing off the light. The 3rd night he got into DS cotton candy and hogged the tv remotes. And this morning we found him head down in the bowl of mini candy canes. :-)

I've been sick for almost 2 weeks...so lil red sometimes just sleeps in the stocking all day.

For those that have the elf take a cotton ball bath or whatever in the sink...do you not use your sink the whole day??????

I personal don't like the Elf he's rather creepy reporting back to Santa and all! Instead we have Mickey, he goes home to Disney at night and collects pixie dust and brings small gifts back to children or adults who have been extra good. Or done something nice for some one else......

P.S. It's called Mickey on the mantel

We have an Elf and have had him for the last 6 years,
However being in the UK I had no idea about the elf on a shelf and so for the 1st 3 years our elf was invisible lol, he would mark doors on the boys xmas Calendar with a sticker or a X depending on if they was good or bad each day,
Which meant he was reporting to Santa.

Then when i realised about EOS I knew I could to cool things so Victor would leave out a treat every day wether he did a naughty or funny thing,
He always leaves sweets or chocolates, but in his last day gives a present or something special.

Last year I finally decided our elf wasn't shy anymore and that the boy had gained his trust for him to show himself :) so we got the fiesta elf as I think the elf on shelf is SCARY looking!

Anyways he does all different sorts of things and my friends think its great and have this year started doing there own,

Anyways thing he has done

Baked cookies and left the dishes for me to clean with a sorry note,
Played snow Angels in flour
Wrapped the bedroom door way with wrapping paper! " boys favourite"
Decorated the house with toilet roll,
Left out daddy's chocolates for the kids to eat.

Hid in the fridge as he was missing home
Made a swing on the light from the ceiling
Put pants on the fireplace where the stocking was.
Stuck sticky bows all over their body's and face in the night." We'll in the morning before they wake up"
Played games with teddys
Hung tree chocolates all over their room from the bunk beds and draw knobs.
Made interesting breakfasts of sweets and marshmallow's

Xmas eve he leaves a huge trail from the bedroom to the Xmas tree of lots of sweets and xmas chocolates, for them to follow as a goodbye treat.
As Santa takes him home with him that night.

I love it and will really miss doing this for them when there too old for it which unfortunate my oldest is 11 and still believes but not for much longer :(

For those that have the elf take a cotton ball bath or whatever in the sink...do you not use your sink the whole day??????

Haha no normally the elf does the things while the kids are sleeping, so in the morning the children would find him having his bath in the sink, get the enjoyment out of the fact he has been having fun all night, then we take him out an pop him back on the shelf where he should really be so we can clear up.

Just thought of another one we did this wk,

The boys found Victor in the cereal cupboard with his head peering up out the box,
The box was empty part from a few loose bits and because he had gotten hungry and ate all the cereal in the night he had filled it back up with cookie's and chocolates instead :)

Haha no normally the elf does the things while the kids are sleeping, so in the morning the children would find him having his bath in the sink, get the enjoyment out of the fact he has been having fun all night, then we take him out an pop him back on the shelf where he should really be so we can clear up.

So you touch him in front of the kids? Or do you use gloves or tongs? We are new at this, just got our elf a few days ago!

So you touch him in front of the kids? Or do you use gloves or tongs? We are new at this, just got our elf a few days ago!

Our elf took a cotton ball bath in a kitchen pot.

We don't have the official Elf on a Shelf so I didn't realize that touching makes the eft lose magic so we all touch her and DD even plays with her....the problem is that sometimes it can be a challange to find her but I usually try to find her before DD goes to bed because she usually know where she is. Our elf is a girl rag doll with a bean bag body and is really cute...I find the official elf kind of creepy looking.

Our elf took a cotton ball bath in a kitchen pot.

We don't have the official Elf on a Shelf so I didn't realize that touching makes the eft lose magic so we all touch her and DD even plays with her....the problem is that sometimes it can be a challange to find her but I usually try to find her before DD goes to bed because she usually know where she is. Our elf is a girl rag doll with a bean bag body and is really cute...I find the official elf kind of creepy looking.

We don't have the official elf either, but my 9yo would have been very upset if he hadn't been allowed to touch it, the first year we had him he would snuggle with him while he watched tv.

Some things he's done this year:
Made a necklace with froot loops.
Brought a big bag of m&m's and filled up our Christmas dispenser.
Ate a Milkbone dog treat, left a pile of crumbs where he spit it out and a note that said "yuck! Please don't leave these cookies for Santa!".
Tonight he's going to leave a tiny countdown chain.
Made a grocery list with red pencil with a bunch of sweets on it.

On nights that I'm tired he does simpler things like riding our stuffed Rudolph, hanging from a suction cup basketball hoop, playing checkers using peppermints and spearmints instead of checkers. One year he brought the kids the Elf movie and had it in the dvd player and was snuggled on the couch with a blanket and popcorn.

I have to be careful where I leave him so our dogs can't get a hold of him.

Our elf has had some fun silly times this year

He came in on the little people airplane
Read the story of Christmas to our little people friends
Took a marshmallow bath
Went fishing in the sink for goldfish
Wrote all over the bathroom mirror
Joined a slumber party by sleeping in a slipper
Played the piano for tips
Got into a snowball sugar cube fight with Otto the orange
Hid in the m$m jar
Was tied up to the railroad tracks by the playmobil pirates
Made donuts and green milk for breakfast
Was taped to the closet door by some stuffers animals

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter