• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will you own up?

minkydog

DIS Cast Member
We all know that the DIS is inhabited by perfect parents who have perfect & gifted children. :snooty: Unfortunately, I do NOT fall into that category. I've made plenty of mistakes, some of them pretty serious.

...like the time DD broke her knee and I didn't take her to the doctor until 8 hours later because I didn't believe her...

...like the time DS got out on the front porch unnoticed, fell off and hit his head. Suffered a concussion and ended up with 5 stitches, too.

The worst was the time Christian accidentally got my medications instead of his own. :scared1: Stupid mistake.His meds were in a 7-day container. My own meds were in a different color 7-day container. I usually gave the meds, but we had just set up our campsite the everyone was frazzled. To help me out, DH gave Christian his meds--all but the last one. DH said, "Hey, what is this green one for?" Green one? Christian doesn't have a green one. DH showed me the container and I about died--he had just given Christian all MY meds, including two meds I use for sleep! A quick call to Poison Control helped talk me down off that cliff. They said to go ahead and get him ready for bed because he was going to be asleep in a half hour. He made it 15 minutes. The worst part was they told me not to give his seizure meds on top of the others, so Christian had a seizure in the middle of the night. Fortunately, he was fine but it made a lasting impression on both of us!:headache:

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm not up for Mother of the Year anytime soon.

Are you kidding, I always say I'm the anti DIs.

My true confession? Yes I have taken vacation while having credit card debt. In fact dh and I went on a fabulous jazz cruise paid for by American express!! Loved every minute of it.

We all know that the DIS is inhabited by perfect parents who have perfect & gifted children. :snooty: Unfortunately, I do NOT fall into that category. I've made plenty of mistakes, some of them pretty serious.

...like the time DD broke her knee and I didn't take her to the doctor until 8 hours later because I didn't believe her...

...like the time DS got out on the front porch unnoticed, fell off and hit his head. Suffered a concussion and ended up with 5 stitches, too.

The worst was the time Christian accidentally got my medications instead of his own. :scared1: Stupid mistake.His meds were in a 7-day container. My own meds were in a different color 7-day container. I usually gave the meds, but we had just set up our campsite the everyone was frazzled. To help me out, DH gave Christian his meds--all but the last one. DH said, "Hey, what is this green one for?" Green one? Christian doesn't have a green one. DH showed me the container and I about died--he had just given Christian all MY meds, including two meds I use for sleep! A quick call to Poison Control helped talk me down off that cliff. They said to go ahead and get him ready for bed because he was going to be asleep in a half hour. He made it 15 minutes. The worst part was they told me not to give his seizure meds on top of the others, so Christian had a seizure in the middle of the night. Fortunately, he was fine but it made a lasting impression on both of us!:headache:

Glad to know I am not the only one, BUT, I made him wait a couple of days..... (give me a little slack, I DID call the doc the day after he broke it and the doc said "oh, they never break anything when they do that").

Are you kidding, I always say I'm the anti DIs.

My true confession? Yes I have taken vacation while having credit card debt. In fact dh and I went on a fabulous jazz cruise paid for by American express!! Loved every minute of it.

:thumbsup2 No jazz cruise here, but other things similar!

Oh yes, I'll fess up. My kids are really great, but they have given me a few grey hairs! I think people get excited to share the positive without always illuminating all the details ;).

DS 12 for instance, made honor roll this last trimester. I could leave it at that...OR disclose that he was practically failing first trimester (new school...was totally unprepared for the workload) and I've paid a Disney trip's worth in tutoring this year!! Definitely easier to just leave off at the first sentence lol!

Okay I have way to many to count but the funniest:

We had only one day a week that our work schedules overlapped so DD had to go to daycare. Daycare opened at 6:15 and I had to be at work at 6:30. I would get there, start unloading all the stuff that goes along with DD, wheelchair, breathing machine for asthma attacks, diaper bag, medication and food bag by the door. When they opened we would drag the stuff into the daycare and I would go back out and get sleeping DD and take her in. Then frantically rush off to work and barely make it in time to clock in.

One bleary morning I kept hearing a pa, pa, pa, sound and thought something was stuck on a tire. Got into the parking garage grabbed my work bag and yep there was DD pointing out the window saying pa, pa, pa. That was her word for play. She knew where she was supposed to be and that wasn't with mommy at work. I had left her stuff and forgot to leave her. :scared1:

Oh I have SO MANY parenting fails. I don't even know if that is funny or pathetic :confused::eek::rotfl:

The two that I really, really regret to this day:

1. I didn't realize that DD16 had a really serious issue that she needed help with (autism) until she snapped and went into a full blown depression as a teen. Looking back now, there were so very many things I should have realized were more than just normal kid quirks and sought help for. I feel horribly guilty that she went for so long without help and ended up so anxious an depressed because of my failure to see what was going on.

2. In the midst of DD's worst year, DS was being truly bullied at school. He didn't want me to have more to cope with (what a horrible burden to have placed on him that he ever felt that way!) and only said a few things here and there--and I tended to dismiss them as not that serious. I can't forgive myself for failing to get him out of that situation sooner.

There are lots of little things too. I've snapped and yelled at my kids more times than I want to admit even to myself. We forgot to pack DS's emergency inhaler fora vacation not to long ago, etc. etc., etc.

Yeah I have a few bad mom moments. The most recent - on the way home from the pediatrician with my sick 5 year old, he ate an entire can of Pringles in the back seat of the car. The whole thing. Don't know how I missed that happening! Also - when my 11 year old brought his spring school pictures home, I burst out laughing. Yeah, not a great moment either - luckily he's a good natured kid and took it fine!

Yeah, DD is not even 2 quite yet and several come to mind...

Teacher appreciation week, I was signed up to bring cups but mixed up "gift day" and "party day," hopefully the teachers found something to drink out of because I had to get to work. Red faced.

Just yesterday, DD opened a friend's screen door and sort of got smushed. It didn't look bad at all so trying downplay so she wouldn't get upset I was all "Oh she's fine." Cue to 3 minutes later, my friend is snuggling her as she applies Neosporin and a bandaid where DD had a huge purple bump and was gushing blood out of a cut on her elbow. Mommy fail for sure. And embarrassing. Way to be a nurturing parent...

It is a leaning process for sure!! I'm sure we'll have several fails when we take her to WDW this fall for the first time.

The day I am perfect is the day the god lord takes me home. I don't want to be perfect in this life. I want to do the best I can. And when I make mistakes - lord knows I have have made plenty in my 45 years and I am sure there are many more to come - I want to learn from them and grow as a person and as a parent. As well I hope my kids see that a person can learn and grow no matter what stage of life they are in and that it helps them to a better person.

I have lost my mom of the year award so many times, it's hard to pick out the highlights.

I drank wine while I was pregnant.

I have experimented with pretty much everything. (Not while pregnant though.)

I am a huge phony, in the J.D. Salinger sense, a lot of the time.

Oh, wow. How am I NOT Mother of the Year? Let me count the ways :rotfl:

YDS disappeared not once but TWICE! Both at the age of 2-3. First time he saw the paper deliverer throw my sister's paper in her driveway and decided he needed to take it to her. Down her 1/4 mile driveway and out of anyone's sight. When I called her in a panic hoping she had seen my child, she calmly said "well, yes, he brought me the paper". To this day I ask her, "and you didn't find anything ODD about a 2 year old delivering your paper??" :rotfl:

The second time he followed the dog off, across the road and through a field and into the edge of the woods. When we realized the dog was gone too, older ds called the dog and they both came back--he just followed the dog back home.

YDS got into the children's Tylenol. After the dose of ipecac (SP?), he learned NOT to do that again.

YDS (noticing a pattern here?) broke his hand in a fight at school. They had sent him to ISS not knowing he had broken it. That afternoon, I made him go to baseball practice even though he complained. The coach noticed him wincing every time he caught the ball and called him over and took his glove off. Then very sternly looked at me and asked, "don't you think he should see a doctor?" :headache:

When dd was a baby, I was so used to the bottom of the car seat (the carrier kind that just snaps into the bottom that is SUPPOSED to stay in the car) being in the car that I just picked her up in the carrier part and stuck her in the backseat. About 1/2 mile down the road I made a turn. Over went the seat with dd in it!!!!! :scared1: Scared me to no end!! But she took it all in stride. Definitely made me make it a habit to check the straps and such once she was in the car so that I wouldn't just stick her in there anymore.

My child is the one who is ALWAYS wearing school uniform on non-uniform day :rolleyes:

He is also the one who does NOT have home-baked cupcakes for cake bake :sad2:

Or the latest i-phone when all his friends do ;)

I think I can live with myself though.

I just figure mine (Non Perfections) are a given; Since my moniker is NFLDERS, Please no "Newfie" jokes eh! :cool1:

I have defienetly had a few moments....

Actually surprised I haven't been called out more on them. :P

YDS fell down a flight of 6 steps when he was about 8 months old. I heard him thump down them from another room then cry ( I forgot to latch the child gate) I called the doctor hysterical and they talked me down. He was fine. I felt horrible.

ODS (6) complained for 2 days that his neck was hurting. I told him that he just slept wrong. On the third morning I noticed his lymph node was very swollen. Got him right into the doctor, and it was an infected lymph node. Took a powerful antibiotic to get it cleared up.

ODS was giving YDS a really hard time about wanting to watch Mickey Mouse. I said, "Fine, if you dislike Mickey so much, maybe you don't want to go to Disney World with us." A few nights later he asked dh if he could please go on vacation with us. Poor kid spent two days thinking we were going to leave him home.

Nope, I'm pretty darn perfect.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: LOL

So once I came home from work with my son who was a little under 2 at the time. I went to the bathroom and when I came out he had red stuff all over his face...he drank the liquid potpouri (oh, and I just had to google how to spell that lol). He thought it was juice, had to call poison control and he ended up fine.

Just last year I picked my daughter up from school, but my son wanted to ride his scooter home (he was 10 at the time). My daughter and I went for a quick trip to the store and when we got there I got a phone call from my son asking me to come home because he fell and his eye was bleeding. I rush out of the store and drive home and my poor son is sitting on the sidewalk in front of our house with almost our entire neighborhood trying to help stop the gushing blood from right above his eye. I'm so thankful I have great neighbors, but man did I feel like a crappy mom. He ended up having to get 3 stitches.

I'm also one that pulls their kids out of school for a week every year to go to Disney. I personally don't see a problem with it, but I know many on the dis do.

I'm sure there are a ton of other things, but that's it for now.

My 6 yo DS just today was heard muttering to his 4yo little sister (who by-the-way was being a major PITA to him) "if you don't stop poking me with your wand I'm gonna kick your A$$" :lmao:

I wasn't sure whether to applaud or hide in the bathroom until I was done laughing!!! needless to say, I walked quickly from the room (until I could compose myself) to an endless rant of a 4yo's voice of "I'm TELLING" over and over until, I finally came back and told her I didn't blame him.

4 hours later and I still haven't had the "talk" with him over good words and bad words!!!

and my 18 year old barely graduated by the skin of her teeth last week, even though she scored VERY well on her SAT's and every other standardized test ever thrown at her. She has no future goals thus far, and I am jealous of every single one of my friends who's recent graduates are headed off to this college or that with X amount of $$ in scholarships!!!!:headache: But to her credit, she is working 2 jobs, and has every summer for the last 3 years, so at least she has a work ethic right???:laughing:

I am grateful that my kids have survived to this point! There have been plenty of times that things could have turned out differently. I cannot condemn the parents in that other thread because of that.

DS(then 2) fell out of a shopping cart when he stood up and landed on his head. He seemed ok once he stopped crying so he didn't even go to the doc.

Same DS(at 8) broke his foot and we waited a week and a half before taking him in. He jumped off one step and happened to land wrong. He was still walking & jumping fine though sometimes he would complain it hurt. In my defense, it was not a main foot bone, one of the outer bones and the dr said it was already starting to heal.

Same DS(at 4) disappeared while next to us- DH & I were coordinating the next activity at a small waterpark. Incredibly thankful that he was wearing a life preserver because I found him in the lazy river, bobbing along quietly.

Drove with the kids in car seats unbuckled by accident, DD ate diaper cream, forgot inhaler for DD and it was needed, etc. the list goes on. I'm not expecting to see any MOTY crowns EVER.

My son was 2 when he fell through some rafters and was dangling from the 2nd floor hanging on for dear life.

Same son got lost on Tom Sawyers' Island at age 3 for over 30 minutes.

Still same son, at 4, got out of the car at a gas station and I didn't know it. When I drove off, he was hanging on the car door handle for about 200 feet before I saw him in the mirror.

Thank God that above child has made it to age 13 alive!

I still pray over his safety on a regular basis. He isn't always cautious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter