Will you no longer fly US/UA/DL/NW?

bavaria

<font color=deeppink>Makes the best of both worlds
Since UA implemented the charge for some passengers to check a 2nd bag as of May 2008, US, DL and NW have all followed (and there is speculation that at least one more US based legacy carrier may follow)

From the time the charge was first announced by UA, we have seen posts on several travel forums from passengers stating 'I will never fly XYZ again in protest'

So, my question to you - do you plan to 'boycott' United, US Airways, Delta and/or Northwest due to the 2nd bag fee?

To answer my own question - No

I would be subject to the fee on DL/NW/US if I did check a 2nd bag, but the fee will not prevent me from flying those carriers. Sometimes they are the only legacy carriers serving certain routes.

Awwww man. I just 'knew' NW would follow along with all the other carriers, guess I just hoped they wouldn't :sad2:
This is news to me. We are booked on NW for our Dec trip. Haven't been following the news lately. (that's why I check here)

Okay....... my answer would be, No. I do not plan to boycott the big guys. I like their flight schedules, I like reserving my seat, I like dealing with a carrier I am familiar with.

I almost always travel with one checked bag. Only time I have ever checked more than one was to Disney and the extra was full of snacks and drinks. Guess I'll re-think that option on our next trip. :upsidedow

No. It just part of the new way with airlines. They have been forced to lower prices and they are looking for a source of revenue.

I think need to learn how to pack. Some people pack like they are going to be gone for months instead of days.

No, I'll still look for the best fare, and adjust my packing accordingly. don't forget to add Spirit to your list of carriers that charge for bags...

No boycott for me. I don't mind the extra fees for service model and am willing to pay if I find value in the service. Do not anticipate needing to pay the extra bag or overweight bag fees. Can easily make do with one bag plus a small carry on for almost all of my trips.

I generally choose between NWA, Air Tran & Sun Country based on price & schedule. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount (over the lowest fare) for Sun Country (if available). I like their service and prefer the HHH temrinal in MSP.

I live in Atlanta.... walking would be my only option.:rotfl2:

Plus if you won't fly US/UA/DL/NW.... it's only a matter of time before that expands to AA/CO/SW (Sprint and some of the other low cost are already there....)

Thrills me to pieces to be perfectly honest. Now, if I have to wait for my baggage, it may actually come down sooner than it has been. Also, the FA's will be a bit less lenient about the carryon bags that are brought on board...well, at least the gate attendents will be.
Nope, I think it's just fine.

Heck no! If I boycotted an airline it wouldn't be because of an extra bag charge. If I was such a clothes horse that I couldn't get what I wanted to bring into the largest allowable suitcase, one carry-on and one personal item, I don't think I'd have a problem paying the 25 bucks or whatever to bring it. Provided I could carry it all. :rotfl2:

No ..........
Its just a sign of the times !
Gosh even Disney is trying a switcherroo !

Copied this from another persons thread....
Quote "Disney Management is considering eliminating parking lot fees at its theme parks.

The price of parking will likely be folded into a ticket price increase--maybe three or four bucks a ticket.

Its a brilliant "shell game" on Disney's part. They get to advertise "free parking" while saving money eliminating all those parking lot money takers. Depending on the ticket price increase, they'll potentially make more money per carload of visitors than the current parking fee. Here's the kicker, hotel visitors and off-property shuttle bus riders would pay the increased ticket even though they aren't parking."

bavaria: I just read another of your posts that lists NWA's new policy (thanks!) and it appears we will fall under the radar on our Dec trip since we booked our tickets prior to March 29th.
That's good to know. No stressing on the packing. Although truthfully, unless they are predicting polar opposites in the weather for the 10 days we will be there, I can't imagine we will bring more than 4 pieces of luggage for the three of us. :laundy:

No boycotting here. Partner dude and I USUALLY have one suitcase each and possibly one carry-on between us. We've always said that if something is forgotten or lost there's a strong likelihood that wherever we're going there will be a shopping area close by!

If we have to have a 2nd suitcase, oh, well. Life is still good and we're still alive!

Michael

No. I'll just include the fees in any cost comparison, just as I do with Spirit's luggage charge, AirTran's advanced seating charge, etc.

Eventually, most of the airlines will follow suit. Lets face it: the less luggage a carrier has to haul, the lighter the plane...and the less fuel it needs to get where its going. You want to bog down the plane's weight, you pay for it.

I know for our November cruise I am already planning a packing strategy to ensure that the four of us get by with only four checked pieces. I plan to not pack a SINGLE toiletry item...no shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, etc...all items that have some weight behind them. We're flying down the day before so my first stop will be to a CVS or WalMart to buy what we need, then I'll just toss what's left before packing to come home.

The heaviest pairs of shoes each of us has will go in our carry-ons, where weight isn't as much of an issue. Everyone WILL have a carry-on, and we'll distribute the 'personal' items that don't count as a carry-on (cameras and laptop) so we each have one.

Fortunately, bathing suits and shorts don't weigh that much. :)

bavaria: I just read another of your posts that lists NWA's new policy (thanks!) and it appears we will fall under the radar on our Dec trip since we booked our tickets prior to March 29th.
That's good to know. No stressing on the packing. Although truthfully, unless they are predicting polar opposites in the weather for the 10 days we will be there, I can't imagine we will bring more than 4 pieces of luggage for the three of us. :laundy:

Lucky you! We booked with Delta prior to their announcement about the $25 fee, but they are still charging that extra fee no matter when you bought your ticket.

the FA's will be a bit less lenient about the carryon bags that are brought on board...well, at least the gate attendents will be

I hope you're right about this. I have been thinking that they won't be any more strict than they are now and we will get more folks bringing stuff that is w-a-y too big on board. It bugs me to not have a place near my seat for my small carry-on because other people have decided that rules about carry-on size don't apply to them.

Lucky you! We booked with Delta prior to their announcement about the $25 fee, but they are still charging that extra fee no matter when you bought your ticket.

Oww, yuk! Sorry to hear that.
I just got a good fare on NWA when I was checking around and went for it. Glad I did now. Also, the fare has since increased 3x since we booked. Yikes!! More fortunate than we could have imagined, I guess.

Pack light and have a wonderful trip!

I won't change my flying habits because of this rule. NWA pretty much rules the roost here in MSP. But the deal is people do need to learn to pack better. I have 2 preteens and we have never had more than 1 checked bag per person. Usually it's been 2 largish checks bags for all 4 of us for the whole week. But we don't bring multiple pairs of shoes, we don't dress up on vacation and I don't have a single bag for hair and makeup.

I do know 2 ladies who have a single checked bag for just hair supplies and makeup. We have a conference in Chicago in July. It's only for 3 days and I know they are going to freak out if they have to pay $25 to bring their hair, makeup and jewelry stuff.

So here's a question...

How are they going to determine if you can check 1 bag or 2 bags free? Is that going to be built into the check-in system so that if you select that you are checking 2 bags, then a window pops up telling you that you will be charged for the second bag? Or how is that going to work?

The only difference it means for me is I will have to take my smaller piece of luggage as a carry-on instead of checking it. I will be packing the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter