Will you get the Covid vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will but I don’t have much choice in the matter due to my job. Just hope it protects against the variant strains as well.

If they were going to die very soon anyway (1-2 weeks) why give them the vaccine? Sounds like wasted vaccines to me. Or are they experimenting on the elderly?
Neither thing is true. Just as there is no public stomach for the idea of having to ration acute Covid care (who decides who gets a ventilator?) it is not palatable to be “black-tagging” individuals to preclude them from vaccines.
I see the other side too. I wouldn’t want my very frail and elderly family member receiving a vaccine that could kill them quicker, especially if they were literally in their final days.

I understand vaccinating them due to living in facilities where covid spreads quickly. Makes sense.
AFAIK, care home residents still must consent to have the vaccine given to them, or have consent given by their legal designate. At least that’s the case here. Nobody is forcibly injecting vulnerable seniors.

I'm in Michigan too and work in a middle school. I just heard yesterday that they are going to start immunizing us on Fridays starting next Friday... It reminds me of trying to get a boarding pass for ROTR.
For me it seems like trying to get a boarding pass for Tron. As in, just impossible now. I'm an elementary teacher and there were 2 diagnosed Covid cases in my hallway last week, an entire class went into quarantine last week, and I currently have 2 students in quarantine, plus rumors of another who had a fever but whose parents didn't report so they still came to class. And I can't get a vaccine until who knows when, because I live in Texas, where non-medical essential workers get no priority.

For me it seems like trying to get a boarding pass for Tron. As in, just impossible now. I'm an elementary teacher and there were 2 diagnosed Covid cases in my hallway last week, an entire class went into quarantine last week, and I currently have 2 students in quarantine, plus rumors of another who had a fever but whose parents didn't report so they still came to class. And I can't get a vaccine until who knows when, because I live in Texas, where non-medical essential workers get no priority.
I'm sorry. I hope you find a way to get one soon.

I'm sorry. I hope you find a way to get one soon.
I'm seriously considering entering a trial for one of the latecomer vaccines, to at least have a decent chance of being vaccinated soon.

I read a news article that stated that by the time 1B is finished (our current phase of everyone over 65 & those with specified health conditions, which include obesity, which there is a ton of here), about 50% of the state should be able to have been vaccinated. 50% of Texas's population is over 14 million people. Yeah, if that's true I don't see myself getting vaccinated until sometime in 2022.

Thank you! Moorestown Mall is closer for us, too. I believe it is being run by Virtua and have been told by someone in senior management that it is a nightmare. As they were getting set, Murphy opened up the grouping of people eligible and people wanting the vaccine has exploded.

I can only hope that it's settled down by the time our appointment rolls around, and is running efficiently. My aunt is nervous about getting vaccinated as it is. I think any problems arising when we go might make her say 'forget it.'

I'm seriously considering entering a trial for one of the latecomer vaccines, to at least have a decent chance of being vaccinated soon.

I read a news article that stated that by the time 1B is finished (our current phase of everyone over 65 & those with specified health conditions, which include obesity, which there is a ton of here), about 50% of the state should be able to have been vaccinated. 50% of Texas's population is over 14 million people. Yeah, if that's true I don't see myself getting vaccinated until sometime in 2022.
I’m also considering doing a trial...I may get a placebo but at least I have a shot at it. I’m a vet and we aren’t considered medical or essential in our state (which I have major issue with), so we go by age. In my 40s so it won’t be until summer at the earliest. I just need to find out how long the trial lasts. I don’t want to sign up and end up getting placebo unknowingly but not able to get the real vaccine for a year while they follow us...

I’m also considering doing a trial...I may get a placebo but at least I have a shot at it. I’m a vet and we aren’t considered medical or essential in our state (which I have major issue with), so we go by age. In my 40s so it won’t be until summer at the earliest. I just need to find out how long the trial lasts. I don’t want to sign up and end up getting placebo unknowingly but not able to get the real vaccine for a year while they follow us...
People who were in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine trials this fall are being unblinded and allowed to get the real vaccine if they got the placebo. Even though the trial isn't completely over, it's an ethical issue.

While I am happy that progress seems to be happening very quickly, I have to say that I am unsure whether or not I am willing to get this vaccine. Experts are saying it will be safe, but how do they really know? There could possibly be long term effects that no one is even aware of right now. This alone has me leaning towards not getting it for a good long time.

FWIW, I'm not against vaccines, but I'm concerned about this one. Normally, it takes 10 years on average for a vaccine to come to market. This one was about 9 months. Its also the first mRNA vaccine, which hasn't been done before. mRNA development and testing about 10 years ago had problems. Since this didn't have the normal 10 year to market period, no one knows what issues may arise later. I've heard people use the name "Thalidomide" as an example to wait.

You have to do what is best for you. Personally, I'm going to hold off for a few years and see what happens. 28 years in IT has taught me never to be an early adopter!

FWIW, I strongly believe my family and I had Covid-19 back in February after we got back from a non-Disney trip to Orlando. We had all the systems, including loss of smell, and I even had a couple of the less common symptoms.

While I am happy that progress seems to be happening very quickly, I have to say that I am unsure whether or not I am willing to get this vaccine. Experts are saying it will be safe, but how do they really know? There could possibly be long term effects that no one is even aware of right now. This alone has me leaning towards not getting it for a good long time.

‘Thoughts?
FWIW, I'm not against vaccines, but I'm concerned about this one. Normally, it takes 10 years on average for a vaccine to come to market. This one was about 9 months. Its also the first mRNA vaccine, which hasn't been done before. mRNA development and testing about 10 years ago had problems. Since this didn't have the normal 10 year to market period, no one knows what issues may arise later. I've heard people use the name "Thalidomide" as an example to wait.

You have to do what is best for you. Personally, I'm going to hold off for a few years and see what happens. 28 years in IT has taught me never to be an early adopter!

FWIW, I strongly believe my family and I had Covid-19 back in February after we got back from a non-Disney trip to Orlando. We had all the systems, including loss of smell, and I even had a couple of the less common symptoms.

Very understandable. Some in medicine and science have the same concerns.

J&J will likely be the biggest name vaccine maker to come out with a more traditionally developed vaccine. It's in Phase 3 study right now.
It will be a one-dose vaccine and will not require the level of cold storage that Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines do.

Im in the Camden and Burlington county area and a few of my coworkers families got appointments in Blackwood for end of this month and early February. I heard all slots are gone now but 29k appointments were given out.

My grandmother is getting hers at shoprite. They called her last week since she’s an essential employee (and a senior herself) at a LTC facility.
Hi neighbor!

Absolutely, we're just waiting to hear when. For all those saying it hasn't been around that long, only partly true. This is not new technology. Research has been going on for quite a while into the use of RNA. Research goes back to around 1990.

I'm a speech pathologist. I get spit on nearly daily, even with significant precautions in place. I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to get the vaccine. I was hesitant until this fall, but now I'm ready.
I don't understand why anyone would hesitate. It is a simple decision. People fear what problems the vaccine might cause. So lets just logically look at the situation. Covid19 vs. Covid Vaccine.. Pro and cons. Pro's for Covid19 none that I can think of. Cons. Covid has killed 2,000,000+ people world wide and 400,000 just in the USA. Pro's for Covid Vaccine it can prevent you from getting ill from Covid 19 and possibly dying. Cons. You might get a sore arm, but you also might live to talk about it. I know of no serious side effect of the vaccine. What is there to think about. If we had odds like that in Vegas, we would all be mortgaging our houses and heading for Nevada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter