• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will we find food and gas next week?

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
We are scheduled to arrive next Wednesday morning and we are renting a car. I am wondering if anything at all is returning to normal in the Orlando area. Is the airport back in operation? Will we have problems finding gas, bottled water, groceries, etc.

I don't mean to sound selfish in wondering about this with all that the poor people have to worry about right now, but if things are in as much of a mess as the pictures show, then I also wonder if we should be going or not.

Are people cancelling trips that are scheduled for the very near future?

The airport is open and operating, rental cars seem to be plentiful and there is plenty of gas and food supplies. While there are some areas certainly affected by the recent storms, the WDW is in very good shape and is ready to welcome guests.

Enjoy!

Thanks Doc. It is also hard to get excited about taking a vacation when you know there is so much devistation and hardship going on in the surrounding area. I know that once you get to WDW property it is easy to "leave the real world behind," but I am sure it will be sobering to drive thru areas that have been hit so hard.

We're to leave on Saturday. I'm wondering how the drive will be down - gas stations, etc.

We usually take I75 to Florida Turnpike, then Route 27 to Highway 192.

Anyone know if this is clear to drive thru?

I have posted this on both the transportation and strategies boards with not much response. We will be leaving late Saturday, probably around 6 from Atlanta and driving straight thru, so it will be dark.

Anyone know who I could call to find out?

Thanks!

Shan - if you are a AAA member, you may be able to get info from your nearest office. It's probably too late for you to get a TripTik through the normal process, but I'd think the local office could provide last minute info.

We also drive down this weekend for Sunday BCV check-in. Leaving Friday to stay overnight with DBiL near Philadelphia, and then doing the PA to FL drive Saturday. DH is always the AAA planner and route analyst, and so far, he seems pretty confident, as long as the rains and flooding around Philly subside.

Good luck to everyone traveling, and have a great trip!

We also leave in 2 days and my husband just asked me the same thing this morning. He asked if I thought we would be able to buy bottled water at the near by grocery store. I told him that it didn't matter much, because it is too heavy to pack it in our luggage on the plane with this new 50 pound rule.

RweTHEREyet, as far as devistation on your way from the airport goes, we went to WDW after Charley and before Frances. I was shocked while driving from the airport to WDW, I actually had goose bumps on my arms and tears in my eyes. I don't think the news channels here in Michigan did justice to the devistation Charley left behind. There was much more media coverage for the last 3 so you know what to expect a bit more, but my husband and I could not beleive the devistation on the way from the airport and to think about the fact that that was not even the worse part hit was even my disheartening.

We are flying down next Wednesday night. I don't see that cancelling is an option. As long as there is no storm bearing down I don't think the airlines or DVC would cancel with no penalty. The last thing Florida needs is to lose all of their tourist $$$$$ because people won't come down. I think they have worked really hard to get gas and food back to the area, and Disney is doing their best to clean up and keep things running. Sure it would be hard for CMs to go to work if their homes are damaged, but it would be worse if they lose jobs due to a drastic drop in tourism.....JMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter