will we be ok with 2nd seating?

kymom79

Mouseketeer
Due to my husband's job scheduling requirements, we were unable to book our cruise until about 60 days out. We're still really excited to do the Western Caribbean on the Fantasy, but of course we got stuck with 2nd seating. Given that our 3 kids are with us -- 8, 6 and 3 -- can you tell me anything that will give me a reason to think that 2nd seating is going to be just fine??

On the up side, our kids are (usually) decently well behaved and love trying lots of new and exotic foods, so there's that to encourage me -- but 8:15 is really late for a 90 minute grown-up meal! Tell me something good if you can please! Trying to think happy thoughts here:):)

Are you waitlisted for first seating? I would go asap when the dining changes open up and request the change to earlier.

For 2nd dinner, they do send CMs in to take the kids to the clubs, so if it's too long for them they can eat and go to the clubs while you and dh enjoy the rest of your meal. And there are lots of kid friendly options up at the pool deck restaurants that they can snack on so they don't get too hungry, or there is room service too.

We tried late seating on our last cruise and to be honest, would never do it again. It was too late for our family. We have 2 children, 13 and 5 and none of us liked eating that late.
You can request to be changed by calling them and going on a wait list and if that doesn't work, the first night ask the head waiter to be changed to early seating. They usually do their best to switch.
Good luck :goodvibes

Good news: the server staff will be excellent at handling kids at that hour.

I would suggest that you prepare your kids for dining at that time, perhaps with relaxing breaks in the afternoon. If they had a tiring day, don't take your family to the theatre, but instead watch the show on your TV in your stateroom. (Let them pass out if they are tired or fussy, they won't disrupt other families.)

While I often feed DD5 late, she doesn't eat as well if she's tired. If I had late dining on the ship, I would give her a large snack / small supper at Cabanas around 5:00 pm / before the stage show. I would insist that dessert would have to wait until after the late dinner. During the late dining experience, I would not expect kiddo to eat a full meal -- as much as I hate wasting food, I wouldn't expect her to do more than pick at her meal when she's tired. The servers will figure it out too, perhaps better than me, and hopefully provide smaller servings and appropriate incentives. (My experience on the Fantasy was that the servers could encourage kids to eat better than any of the parents at any tables.)

I would not hesitate to use dessert as a bribe for good behaviour. I know that dessert bribes are not healthy, but it would keep me sane on vacation. But maybe another bribe, such as a small toy or colouring book would work just as well. Edit: I just remembered bribing my girl with the movies on demand in the stateroom. She would do just about anything if the reward was to watch 30 minutes of Goofy cartoons before bed.

Good luck!

Also keep in mind that you and your family shouldn't be hungry/starving waiting for dinner to start as there are plenty of other food options for you to get something to eat while you wait for dinner. Room service, counter service options, just to name a couple. You can still get some food for the kiddos to eat beforehand if they are hungry.

Our last cruise we had second seating with a 4 and 6 year old boy. It was great for us. The little one often fell asleep at the end of whatever we did that day, so he napped for an an hour or so in the early evening and the older one, we fed him a fourth meal around 5. So he ended up with 2 dinners. We liked not being rushed getting to dinner and rushed in port days. We basically use the 5-8 time to relax, nap, shower and get ready for dinner.

We had second seating on our first cruise. Granted my kids were a little older than yours, we actually enjoyed the late seating. In fact, we chose the second seating for our upcoming cruise. We found we slept in later, had breakfast later, lunch later, a rest late afternoon and relaxed with a show before dinner. The only thing that bothered me slightly was feeling full before going to bed, it didn't bother dh or kids though. You can hang out by the pool while the first seating is happening so the pool is quiet. The day doesn't feel cut short by needing to get ready for dinner early.

We were rushing anyway to get ready for the shows so that made no difference to us.
FYI the Dine&Play staff do not come IN the restaurant to pick up the kids. You have to remember, make sure the kids know what hey want quickly and that they are eating simply (complicated orders slow things down) and are done so you can take them out to the staff.
We are still not sure what works best for us. Now that we realize we don't overly enjoy the musical shows Disney puts on it does free up time so that will make a difference for us.

Definitely get appetizers somewhere so people aren't gnawing at heir sleeves lol.

For us (9 cruises on DCL) we PREFER late seating. Even when our kids were younger (6-8 yrs old) we enjoyed late seating. As a PP stated I don't like being rushed coming off excursions to get to dinner at the early time. I will also say its a great time to walk the ship and have some quieter time since so many people are getting ready and eating there is hardly anyone roaming the ship! I will say it is late to eat but we usually on the late side at home anyway, with kids activities etc. If you are used to eating at a much earlier time then I'd gently push to get moved to earlier seating. Though you may have to be open to sitting with other families. I think it not unusual that some families get seated together but then don't "gel" and asked to get moved, and the only place to move them to is the later seating. Just be persistent and you may get in the earlier, if that turns out to be important.

I suspect the 3 yr old will crash at dinner but if the 8 and the 6 are energetic then will do just fine hurrying through dinner and going to the club while you enjoy dinner. Just make sure to check to see what time the kids club people are there, they don't hang out for the entire dinner. I think they come in like 15 minutes in to dinner or something like that.

My boys were 11, 8, & 6 on our cruise and we had late seating. We loved it. The boys could snack if they got hungry before the shows, and on days when we were able to see a matinee of the nightly show (usually sea days) we could stay on the pool decks later and were able to swim with the pools mostly to ourselves and ride the aquaduck with no waits. Most people start to clear out around 5:00, and we could stay until at least 7:00 before we had to go get cleaned up and ready. I will probably always choose late seating from now on.

The counselors from the Club/Lab are usually at the entrance to each of the main dining rooms around 9:00 - 45 minutes in. When my kids were a little younger they loved this. Just make sure to tell your waiter that the kids are going to do Dine and Play and they will get their meals out a little quicker.

Another vote here for the second seating! Our family loved it! We sailed with 6 of our grandkids ages 3-11 and it worked perfectly for them.

Yes, tell your servers the first night that you want to use the dine and play option, and they'll remind you when it's time to take the kids to the entrance where the counselors are waiting. Usually around 9-9:15. They'll bring your kids' meals first, then you'll have another hour to relax and enjoy the rest of your own meal. LOVED that part!

We live in the Central Time Zone, so it was like we were eating at 7:15, so not much later than normal to us. But we would get the kids popcorn to snack on during the shows, and that seemed to tide them over till dinner. Also, the kids clubs do serve dinner, so if they're in there over dinner time, they can have a little something as well.

Another vote for second seating here. We just cruised with our 5 and 6 year olds and had second seating and it was fine. The first night was a bit of a challenge for our 5-year-old (long day overall, I guess), but after that he was fine.
We booked another cruise for next year and chose second seating again.

We're also big fans of 2nd seating. It was the only thing available on our first cruise but our daughters (ages 2 1/2 and 5) did great. We've done 8 cruises now and have always requested late seating.

We always have a late afternoon snack (from room service or quick service by the pool) and bring some little Disney figures for our youngest to play with at the table. The servers are great with helping to keep the kids entertained and there are crayons and paper menus to color. We've tried the dine and play option but our kids actually prefer to sit through the whole meal with us because the servers and tablemates are so fun.

We generally consider ourselves not very social people but actually prefer to be seated with another family because Disney has always paired us with a family that has kids near the same ages and similar interests to us. Having tablemates is a good distraction for the kids.

Our last cruise we had second seating with a 4 and 6 year old boy. It was great for us. The little one often fell asleep at the end of whatever we did that day, so he napped for an an hour or so in the early evening and the older one, we fed him a fourth meal around 5. So he ended up with 2 dinners. We liked not being rushed getting to dinner and rushed in port days. We basically use the 5-8 time to relax, nap, shower and get ready for dinner.

Agreed!!! We have cruised on Disney 6 times now and always get late seating for dinner. It gives us plenty of time when we are done with shore excursions and such and are not hurried. The only draw back is when you want to go to the shows. You have to get ready just as if not more quickly and get to the theater for your preferred seat.
On Castaway Cay day. I don't think I want to tell this secrete... When everyone is heading back to the ship for showers and such before dinner we stay for about an hour more. It is great. And yes we can nap after the long days in the sun. :beach:

We have not been on a disney cruise yet with the kids - but we are going in May with 6,5,2 yr olds and we booked the late seating! We have been on vacations with them and we always eat later than we do at home because we are at the beach all day!

I would hate to leave the beach to get ready for dinner!

I am also preparing to use the Dine & Play with my older two kids and that is only offered at the late seating! And I am hoping the younger falls asleep or goes to the nursery if she is done at dinner! I will also have an iPad to keep her occupied if she is getting restless!

If your kids are pretty good at restaurants and adjust to "vacation time" (like I feel my kids do) then I think you'll be fine!

Otherwise they can always eat a light dinner beforehand at Cabanas or something (I will have to wait and see if that is needed)

We did it last Easter and it wasn't ideal. My DD (then 9) whined through dinner and had a meltdown on pirate night. She's usually a pretty easy going kid unless she's tired or hungry. Eating at 8:15 on vacation was cruel and unusual punishment in her eyes and I think the trip would have been more enjoyable had we had 1st seating dining.

I think it depends on what you are used to. We rarely it dinner before 8pm at home. I can't fathom eating at 530. We are usually at kids activities or at the gym from 5- 7. If your used to eating early I could see where 815 would seem late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter