Will Value/Mod Be A Letdown When We've Only Stayed Deluxe

patsal said:
I have stayed at all three levels as well as the home away from home. The biggest issue with value and mods are the double beds--we ahve a queen at home and like the extra space. Depends also how long we are going to be at the resort versus the parks. A two week vacation in a value wouldn't work--we are a family of four with teenaged kids, but 4 or five days is no problem.

I agree the double beds are a big issue.
If it will be more than DH and we get two rooms at a value but now with the new Family Suites there is a Queen size bed in the master bedroom area and there is room to sleep 4 more in the living area.

The sofa folds out into a bed for two and the chair and ottoman both fold out into a twin size bed.

Plus during the day and evening there is confortable sitting area and a kitchette with a coffee pot , fridge & microwave, starting at less than
$169 a night.

Here is the layout:

ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

For more info see the FAQ thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

Here are a couple of photos of the foldout bedsfrom the DIS homepage:

06.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I trid out the chair bed when I was there and it was very comfotable.
There were no bars across the bottom to hurt my back!
Instead this furniture is designed so te seat and back cushions support the bed!
Here is a photo I took.

9-26-2006-12.jpg

HAve fun at Disney !

The time after I stayed at AKL I went to All-Stars Music(I think). The accomodations were just as nice in their way. I experienced no decrease in service at all. You will do fine if you go from deluxe to value.

It depends on you. I stayed at the WL which is a low end deluxe, which I loved. I then stayed at Pop Century which is a value, and I loved it!

The mods and values are awesome resorts with beautiful ground and fun pools. I think the main difference is the rooms. The room are smaller and aren't as fancy. They are still nice and clean, but, the little extras might not be there.

If you are a deluxe person through and through, then you'll be disappointed, but if your willing to try something new and go in to it with an open mind, you'll be fine!

We've stayed at the Poly, All Stars, Contemporary, and next trip will be Wilderness Lodge. Our stay at the All Stars wasn't disappointing, just different - different in a way that you can't really compare a stay at the Marriott to a stay at the Days Inn. The All Stars was what we could afford at the time - we were staying for 8 nights and we had a party of 6 and two rooms at All Stars was about $59 per night each on the special offered at the time.

The All Stars was large, lines were long, and I felt like it was the training ground for CM's, including the bus drivers. You could tell that the better CM's and bus drivers are working at the Deluxe properties - as they should be. We reminded ourself that if we were staying the extra days AND had 6 in our party that All Stars was a part of the compromise. The upside - we had two bathrooms and connecting bedrooms!

I wasn't disappointed in a way that would keep me from staying there again, but it made me appreciate the touches of a deluxe all the more!

We stayed at POFQ for the first night of our trip and Yacht Club for the rest...no comparsion. Deluxe is much, much, MUCH better. From ambience to location, from food to room size...if you're used to staying at a Deluxe, you will have a letdown.

Thanks for the replys everyone! I honestly don't think we'd be unhappy at any of the resorts (Heck, it's Disney we're talking about:) ) I agree that a lot depends on how long of a stay it will be. If we end of going for 4-5 days rather than a week I think I would be more inclined to try a Mod or even a Value because I don't know that we'll get to really enjoy the extra amenities of a Deluxe because we'll be spending most of our time in the parks. Now I just have to convince DH! ;)

We have done all levels, and we discovered that after deluxes, mods are ok, but values are not. We tried ASMu this past August and hated it; we ended up moving to AKL. I posted if anyone who disliked the values was ok with Pop, and the general advice/consensus was to stick with mods or higher.

I have stayed at all levels now. My first adult trip with DH was at CSR. I was so impressed I went back to my company and said we needed to do an event there! I did 2 events at CSR. I attended tradeshows at the Dolphin and stayed at the Dolphin 2 times and CBR once. I also did an event at GF. I just returned from a quick low budget mother/daughter trip where I stayed at ASMo.

CSR is my favorite so far. After this trip I'd love to try either the Poly or CR because of the monorail access. GF made me nervous with all the white paint! My kids are not white wall type of kids, they are kids! :rolleyes1

The bathrooms at ASMo were tiny. I'm 5' with my shoes and I say they are tiny. There is no area for dressing seperate from the main room so no privacy.

If DH is against downsizing I would not even consider a value.

I only stayed in Deluxes until last month when we stayed at CBR. Was it a let down? Sure it was; no room service, smaller room, smaller TV etc.

Was it enough to make my vacation miserable? Absolutely not.

When my budget fits it, I go deluxe. But if it's a choice of staying moderate/value or not going at all, well, that's a no brainer for me.

Got to be there!

We did a split stay at pop and pofq last summer (it was very busy). We thought pop was excellent for the price! This may seem petty, but I hated the lines for buses. At deluxes and moderates there is a nice bench and some sort of awning to produce shade where you can sit comfortably and wait on your bus. At Pop, we waited in a chained off queue in the sun. I think if you prepare yourself for the worse, you can't be let down. I personally don't think that the values are as bad as some make them out (not on this thread, but all aroud the DIS). Just remember you're at Disney!!

I'm with your husband. The thought of staying non-deluxe just doesn't excite me. We did a mod once. Here is what I didn't like:

1. No Balcony - I was really surprised that I missed it, but it gives you a place to read or relax while the slower members of our party gets ready.
2. No Breathing Room - My kids just really got on each others nerves. They didn't have any space to spread out.
3. Sleeping with the kids - With no bunk beds or day beds we each had to sleep with a kid.
4. Distance to everything - It was a long walk everywhere - to eat, to the pool, to get a drink, to the buses, to the car, ughhh!

The room was clean, the resort was beautiful, and we loved the boat to DTD.

We made the decision to stay fewer days at a deluxe this year because budget was an issue. We could have stayed longer at a mod or value, but I just couldn't get excited about it. When the kids are grown and it's just two of us in a room, I may try a mod again.

We do all three levels of resorts. We are always happy. If one wants to be let down then they will be let down. It is a personal choice.

After only staying in deluxe resorts, last year we stayed at CSR. My dh liked it better than the Poly!

Although I love staying on the monorail, I can't see paying that much more when CSR is just as nice (in my family's opinion).

mickeyfan2 said:
We do all three levels of resorts. We are always happy. If one wants to be let down then they will be let down. It is a personal choice.

I agree with this. We stay at all levels and they all have something great about them. My kids do prefer POP, though.

I'm trying to talk DH into saving a little money by staying at a Mod or Value and he wants no part of it (I think he's gotten spoiled ) What advice can you give me to convince him otherwise, or should I even try?

What a lucky wife you are! I wouldn't even convince him to try moderate let alone value. If he got the money for deluxe resort.. heck.. I wouldn't stop him! I'd go with concierge even!

Why bother with moderate or even value if you can stay at a better resort with more ammenities.

If I had money to spare.. I'd go with the deluxe too without a second thought.

We love the location of the Epcot resorts, and always stay there if we get an acceptable price. However, for just the resort, our favorite has to be CSR. We are yet to be let down when staying there, and POR (then Dixie Landings) was also a wonderful resort.

Depends on your expectations.

We stayed WL -
booked our second trip WL

but got to Florida a day early and decided to go to POFQ for that night and save the $
we will stay at POR this trip because we really enjoyed POFQ! I thought the room was actually bigger than the WL rooms, the pool was fun -
that said we only went to DTD from POFQ so transportation was not an issue - just a fun boatride to get there...

This trip we will have a rental car so the bus thing is again not an issue for us...
I would like to try and stay at as many different resorts as I can and will go with the rate codes take me ;)

happy planning!

The room is of little importance to me. I have stayed in many different places and would NEVER pay rack to stay at a deluxe resort. I get up in the morning, go to the food court (which many deluxe resorts don't offer and I don't want a sit down breakfast), get on the bus, perhaps come back for a swim in the pool, and go back to the parks. I need a good bed, good food court, reasonable pool, and that's it.

I don't like the AS resorts. Too noisy. I would never stay in one again. But POP is good for the budget. The ideal is the moderates. They are affordable, can be a bit more quiet (especially the CBR) then POP and have good themeing, food courts and even a nice sit-down.

Of course, now I am a DVC member...so that sort of tears it

We can handle a moderate, and even moved to POR from YC during a trip once. My family didn't like the value resort (kids didn't like the pool, and DH didn't like the attention to detail)or Fort Wilderness (transportation made it almost as inconvenient as staying off site).

WiscMomof2 said:
I'm trying to talk DH into saving a little money by staying at a Mod or Value and he wants no part of it
As you can see from the WDW resorts we've experienced in the past, we began our trips to WDW by staying at the high end resorts. But, one trip we made an exception and moved "down" to a value resort.

To be very honest with you, I would not change back to a delux resort now, even if the prices were equal. We liked Port Orleans so much (especially the French Quarter), that we will probably never change.

Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter