Will UK guests be getting magic bands?

jimmy339

Earning My Ears
Has anyone heard if it would be an extra cost for us or if it would it automatically replace the Key to the world cards?

Also, will we be able to customise them before we get there like American visitors? Eg. Choosing colours, putting names on etc.

I know I may be asking a little soon, but I'd really like to have the magic band when I go next year :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Has anyone heard if it would be an extra cost for us or if it would it automatically replace the Key to the world cards?

Also, will we be able to customise them before we get there like American visitors? Eg. Choosing colours, putting names on etc.

I know I may be asking a little soon, but I'd really like to have the magic band when I go next year :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

There is no extra cost, the magicbands will replace the cards. You can customise them beforehand, the MDE app tells you how many days you have left to customise them before its too late, after that you get allocated a grey band. I'm staying at YC in less than two weeks which is part of the current testing phase, I received an email to say my bands have been shipped to the resort, others have had them posted to their address if they live in US, not sure how it will work in the future.
I've just started a PTR on the uk trip reports board so if I do actually get the bands (I never actually received an email inviting me to take part in the test) then I'll update on there.

At the moment (remember we are still in testing) all onsite guests and annual pass holders will be entitled to a magic band free of charge.

As far as customisation goes as long as you access either the app or the correct part of the website I see no reason why not.

I am still in 2 minds about them - not sure I want a rubber arm band on my arm in the middle of summer.

I just wish that they would hurry up and switch the UK website over so that it has the same access and functionality as the US site :upsidedow

I'm actually looking forward to using the bands: I really like the idea of the band being a 'one stop shop' for everything from getting into your room, getting into the park, FP+, payment etc etc - not that Disney need to make it any easier for me to spend money ;)

I just wish that they would hurry up and switch the UK website over so that it has the same access and functionality as the US site :upsidedow
)

Be careful what you wish for! We're all using the UK site because the US one is so completely BROKEN!

I'm actually looking forward to using the bands: I really like the idea of the band being a 'one stop shop' for everything from getting into your room, getting into the park, FP+, payment etc etc - not that Disney need to make it any easier for me to spend money ;)

We found the RFID room keys to be very convenient this year and really a one stop for everything as Linda67 requests - fast passes, interactive elements of rides (like TT for example), payment (just tap and put in your PIN), park entry etc etc and without the drawback of having the band around your wrist which I personally don't fancy much.

Mrs TT

Be careful what you wish for! We're all using the UK site because the US one is so completely BROKEN!

I've been using the US site to make all my dining and room reservations recently as I was getting so frustrated with the UK site, particularly when trying to book things such as the Candlelight Processional. It's been working out great for me :goodvibes

We found the RFID room keys to be very convenient this year and really a one stop for everything as Linda67 requests - fast passes, interactive elements of rides (like TT for example), payment (just tap and put in your PIN), park entry etc etc and without the drawback of having the band around your wrist which I personally don't fancy much.

Mrs TT

It's great that Disney are giving us both options as I totally understand that some aren't going to like the idea of wearing something around their wrists

We are staying at Art of Animation in October. I have the MDE app but ours says nothing about the magic bands.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if we are able to upgrade our tickets to the bands and if so how?

There is no extra cost, the magicbands will replace the cards. You can customise them beforehand, the MDE app tells you how many days you have left to customise them before its too late, after that you get allocated a grey band. I'm staying at YC in less than two weeks which is part of the current testing phase, I received an email to say my bands have been shipped to the resort, others have had them posted to their address if they live in US, not sure how it will work in the future.
I've just started a PTR on the uk trip reports board so if I do actually get the bands (I never actually received an email inviting me to take part in the test) then I'll update on there.

our magic bands have been shipped to the resort (according to the emails we received and the UPS tracking numbers)..

we were picked for the test, but i was afraid to link my UK ultimate tickets, so i called disney IT (a special number specifically for the test)....
she told me NOT to link my UK tickets during the test....that it might go horribly wrong if i do....
she said i should just opt out of the fastpass+ test...she said in the future it will be ok, but for the test, she strongly advises against linking UK tickets...

so i listened to her...
i haven't linked the tickets and i haven't chosen any fastpasses..

we'll do it the old fashioned way...

Yes! I have just had an email today saying "your magicband package will be waiting for you at your disney resort hotel, simply pick it up from the front desk when you arrive". When I look on mydisneyexperience app there is a link to magicbands and cards in the "My account" section, just mentions me, but looking at the US threads, the whole party will get one.

We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge from the 8th-22nd of August, should be interesting to see how they work :)

Anyone else had the email?

our magic bands have been shipped to the resort (according to the emails we received and the UPS tracking numbers)..

we were picked for the test, but i was afraid to link my UK ultimate tickets, so i called disney IT (a special number specifically for the test)....
she told me NOT to link my UK tickets during the test....that it might go horribly wrong if i do....
she said i should just opt out of the fastpass+ test...she said in the future it will be ok, but for the test, she strongly advises against linking UK tickets...

so i listened to her...
i haven't linked the tickets and i haven't chosen any fastpasses..

we'll do it the old fashioned way...

I haven't actually linked my tickets but it has allowed me to select fastpasses so I guess I'll just see what happens :)

Yes! I have just had an email today saying "your magicband package will be waiting for you at your disney resort hotel, simply pick it up from the front desk when you arrive". When I look on mydisneyexperience app there is a link to magicbands and cards in the "My account" section, just mentions me, but looking at the US threads, the whole party will get one.

We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge from the 8th-22nd of August, should be interesting to see how they work :)

Anyone else had the email?

I received this email saying they've been shipped to the resort but never received the email to ask if we wanted to take part in the test, so I don't actually know why will happen. Either way we'll be at Disney so I'll be happy! Woohoo!

cf8f1fc7abee2d4e9d6b1baafde33523_zps804877f6.jpg

I received this email saying they've been shipped to the resort but never received the email to ask if we wanted to take part in the test, so I don't actually know why will happen. Either way we'll be at Disney so I'll be happy! Woohoo!

My understanding is that the magic bands do not necessarily make you part of the text. Only if you link your tickets and sign up to test the FP+ system are you part of the test. They are testing FP+ at the moment to get stats. The magic bands are simply the communication device for the RFID system

Beth (Disneyholic family) is getting Magic Bands but is not part of the test because she opted out of linking her tickets.

I'm open to correction if I have this wrong

Interesting that a lot of people here don't want bands I certainly don't! That is unless they are hypoalergeic! OK card as one stop shop lets see as I am an annual pass holder so get another one for that
Jacqui

I haven't actually linked my tickets but it has allowed me to select fastpasses so I guess I'll just see what happens :)

if it's allowing you to select fastpasses that means your tickets are already linked...
i assume that your tickets are part of your disney reservation...
in that case, you don't have to link the tickets, they are part of the reservation and so the system already knows about them...

however, if the tickets are not part of the package reservation (as is my case) then i would have to manually link them...
but i was told not to..

again, the moment you are allowed to pick a fastpass in advance, by definition your tickets are linked....it will not let you pick advance fastpasses without linked tickets...

It would appear that the full roll out is still going to be going ahead by the end of the year. Iger said in the Q3 earnings conference call last night that full roll out will be in the first part of Fiscal Year 2014, which takes us to around the start of November. It will be open to all visitors.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm having HUGE issues getting the MDE app or access to MDE website. In our house we have 3 tablets, iPod touch, and 2 smart phones and there is no compatible app for any of them. It seems to me that unless you have an iPhone you're out of luck!

The global website and the MDE website for UK visitors need to be addressed FAST in my opinion, as well as apps for Android.

It would appear that the full roll out is still going to be going ahead by the end of the year. Iger said in the Q3 earnings conference call last night that full roll out will be in the first part of Fiscal Year 2014, which takes us to around the start of November. It will be open to all visitors.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm having HUGE issues getting the MDE app or access to MDE website. In our house we have 3 tablets, iPod touch, and 2 smart phones and there is no compatible app for any of them. It seems to me that unless you have an iPhone you're out of luck!

The global website and the MDE website for UK visitors need to be addressed FAST in my opinion, as well as apps for Android.

This is my understanding as well. There seems no doubt that the system is intended to be rolled out before the end of this year. Of course how efficiently it is going to function at that early stage, given the problems they are having with the testing phase. Hopefully they will be able to address these to a satisfactory degree in time, because it sounds like they fully intend going 'live' no matter what :rolleyes1

Oh as for the app and website .... Not related to MDE but that is just one more item to add to the list, I have got so frustrated with missing out on things by not having an iPhone that I've sucked up the penalty for ending my contract four months early and am kissing my BlackBerry's rear end goodbye tomorrow, to be replaced with an iPhone. I can't access the app from my iPod touch either - or when I can, it just continues to attempt to load but nothing happens. A beautiful WHITE screen!!

FWIW, specifically related to MDE it seems there is no way to escape issues with this app, regardless of the device you are using. The problems simply change flavor by the brand :rotfl: I am glad not to be part of the testing phase having read some of the more serious issues some guests are struggling with! Someone linked something or other on the app last week and can now not make any ADRs because she (the lead guest) is noted on the reservation as an infant :confused3:lmao: Fun times ahead!!

I really really really don't want to have anything to do with FastPass+ or MDE this year.

Disney have indicated that they struggle with technology and their implementation of new 'attraction' access has been poor. I remember trying to call and get a reservation for Be Our Guest last year - total mess! Their website still has many of the same issues since January! I still can't make a dinner reservation with my international phone number. Just had to use the resort's and even then I had to keep logging in five times to do it.

I don't see MDE or FP+ running smoothly for a long while. I hope I'm wrong for everyone's sake but for our trip at the end of this year, I'm hoping I'm not forced to use it. I'm feeling confident we'll still just be using FastPass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter